Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1113562 05/09/16 03:20 AM
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
How did I let you guys talk me into this?

I hate you all. (especially you GM) “It’s not so bad.”

Quote by me on the thread “The Medical Profession” on March 6th, 2016:

”OK

Thanks guys. I wouldn't have thought that reading posts from a Cleveland Browns fan forum would have influenced my opinion on having a colonoscopy.

But it has. Strange.

I was not "on the fence", I was dead-set against having one.

My primary care provider already gave me a referral to see a gastro-whatever doctor (I didn’t think I’d use it)

I'll be calling the GI doctor’s office this week for an appointment. (it may be months before I get in).

But be warned!

I will post a complete, detailed (with 8 by 10 colored glossy's) description of the procedure.

My colonoscopy is scheduled for this Wednesday afternoon, May 11th.

This appointment was scheduled ~ 2 months ago. I’ve been dreading this day.

In particular there's three things I'm most nervous about:

1) The day-before-preparatory-"colon blow". (getting everything out of the colon) That starts tomorrow. Don’t worry I’ll keep you informed.
2) Being put into an induced coma. I have never been "put to sleep" before.
3) Feeling weak and sick and getting home afterwards. I'll have to rely on minibus transportation.

I suppose there's a fourth - 4) They find something.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
There's a joke in Blues Brothers that could end up getting applied here, but the language ain't appropriate for the board.

I'm a much younger dude, Rocky. My only advice is to relax, and trust the professionals. Only worry about what you yourself can control. That's how I live life.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I've had two colonoscopy's and methinks you're nervous about mostly nothing.

The day before "colon blow" isn't fun insofar as the drink and the not eating anything but green jello till the scoping is done, but nothing to be nervous about.

The being put to sleep is nothing to be nervous about either, really.

They found pollops on my first go round, removed them, tested them, they came up benign. After I was released, it was a slab of ribs and fries for me!!

There is probably nothing medical that can be done that doesn't involve being uncomfortable to a degree but I'd rather have a colonoscopy than a root canal.

You'll be fine, friend. Good luck!

Legend
Legend
You might want to check and see if your balls are still attached. If not then please strap them back and stop worrying. Remember mirolax and orange G-2. It does not taste bad, and if you have followed your somewhat restrictive diet the last few days then your clean out is a breeze on Tuesday. After your first few trips to the bathroom you will be pretty much just pooping out clear liquid. You in and out of the bathroom in just a few min. each trip.

Now as for the induced coma..... Don't tell me you have never drank and passed out before. Well when you wake up from your "Coma" you won't have a hangover. I have also never felt weak or sick after a colonoscopy.

Now your 4th worry. If they find something you will be thanking your lucky stars that they caught it before it got any worse.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Just had one done last month, by far not the worst thing I've ever had happen. I remember nothing but rolling onto my side, then lights out for the procedure. The prep kind of sucked, but it's only one night and not that bad either.

So quit worrying and just do it. They found a polyp in me, tested clean though but have to repeat in 3-5 years. That's better than being told I have the Bic "C" and get to fight for my life; I'll take that anyday.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
j/c

I got a chuckle out of this being right below the "Camera/Picture Taking" thread.

laugh

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I had one last November. I was having a lot of abdominal pain and blood. Long story short, I know have ulcerative colitis. After a 12 day hospital stay, I've been mostly back to normal (knock on wood).

As for the colonoscopy, the hardest part was the prep drink. My wife mixed the stuff with room temperature water, that wasn't a good idea. I found out later that I could have mixed it with Gatorade. Although, that wouldn't have helped with the amount you have to drink in the short amount of time. A guy from the UC Facebook support group suggested starting 6 hours earlier to space out the drinks. If you want, call the doc or nurse to get pointers to make that part easier (or search on the Google machine).

The procedure and the recovery were nothing. Lay on your side, go to sleep, then you wake up. I took a long nap when I got home. You'll be fine.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Punchsmack #1113597 05/09/16 08:58 AM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Just had mine done in January. Dr found some precancerous palips, so now I have it done yearly.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I'm still considered a young man ... probably 20 years or so away from a colonoscopy

however, it sounds pretty crappy

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M

All Pro
All Pro
Always ask for the pint prep instead of the gallon prep, same results.

GO BROWNS!
Legend
Legend
As long as you get put to sleep and not just on twilight drugs, you'll be fine. I've had one colonoscopy and it was not a bad experience at all. You'll be out the whole time.

And yes, lots of going to the bathroom the day before the procedure and the day after maybe some too.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Yes.

They've given me what I believe is the "pint prep" - one pint of water mixed with the medicine followed by two more pints of water within an hour.

This is done twice.

The night before (that's tomorrow night for me) and the next morning (at least 2 hours before the procedure).

My main concern during this stage is the fact that I'm not exactly Jumpin' Jack Flash (especially when I'm half asleep in bed at 3 am and I'm gonna go NOW)

Millcreek - you're not helping (the SNL "Colon Blow Skit" - I loved Phil Hartman)

Legend
Legend
Just a hint. If you are doing it the night before try to move that up to 4 or 5 PM the AFTERNOON before. Also do it EARLY the next morning and be done way before the two hour window. I Try to have mine done at least 5 to 6 hours before so I am not only cleaned out but I am done running to the bathroom by the time I leave for the hospital.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I had one, not a big deal

I just couldnt figure out how the doc did the procedure with a hand on each of my shouders

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Honesty Rocky, it's no big thing.. Seriously.

The procedure itself it a piece of cake. Let's just pray they find everything to be fine.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
I don't know if different hospitals are different so I can only relate my experience.

I hate the dentist and I would rather have a colonoscopy any day than have my teeth cleaned.

The "colon blow" as you called it was easy. I brought my laptop & the Sunday paper into the bathroom. I had taken several laxative type pills a few hours early. Then I just had to drink a large bottle of light colored Gatorade in a certain amount of time with a powder in it. I was worried about this because some internet searches mentioned a bad taste. To me, I thought there was no taste or consistency issues.

Eventually they started working, (it took longer than my doctor had told me). All the while I watched Netflix & YouTube videos. When I was done I went to the basement to watched TV which was my biggest issue because I was starving and there were too many food commercials.

This leads me to my only issue. I was permitted breakfast on Sunday and nothing else until after the procedure Monday around Noon. I had a headache from not eating.

Regarding the "induced coma" comment. I was not. I was given a drug that appeared to put me out almost instantly. Being inquisitive, I was going to watch the clock to see how long it took. I counted to 3 than woke up in the receiving area next to my wife and the procedure was over.

I was stunned to find out I was awake through the whole thing & the drug was more of a memory "killer'. I did not believe her but the doctor walked in and said we talked through it all. When he told me the questions I asked him I knew that was me talking.

They gave me food in recovery.

MY wife drove me home about 2 & I ate more. Then I walked to my job and went over my e-mails and any customer messages for about an hour.

That was my experience & I live in a small rural county of about 35K people and one small hospital.

Good luck regarding what they could find but I think your prep and the procedure should be fine.

Legend
Legend
I had a test done on my back/nerves and was supposedly awake and talking through the entire process, but last thing I remember was rolling off the cart and onto the exam table ..... and the next thing I remember was waking up in recovery.

I guess the procedure is fairly painful, but they need to have the patient awake so they know what nerves they are hitting.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
My brother died of colon cancer before he was 50... so I started getting colonoscopies when I was 43 and I'm on the every 3 year plan instead of every 5.

Colon cancer is very slow growing and it is very treatable if caught early, by the time you start to feel symptoms, it's often too late. So stop whining and lift your skirt and get the scope.

Some advice, for the night before, get baby wipes. By about the 10th time on the toilet, that toilet paper will feel like sandpaper.

And no colonoscopy thread would be complete without this...

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #1113724 05/09/16 03:51 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Some advice, for the night before, get baby wipes. By about the 10th time on the toilet, that toilet paper will feel like sandpaper.

QFT

I prefer these: Kleenex Flushable Wipes

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
DCDAWGFAN #1113731 05/09/16 04:38 PM
Legend
Legend
My brother died of colon cancer before he was 50... so I started getting colonoscopies when I was 43 and I'm on the every 3 year plan instead of every 5.

Colon cancer is very slow growing and it is very treatable if caught early, by the time you start to feel symptoms, it's often too late. So stop whining and lift your skirt and get the scope.

And no colonoscopy thread would be complete without this...

WHOO WHOO WHOO any guy over 50 who has not realized that wipes are to be used 100 percent of the time in the bathroom is just plain stupid

Punchsmack #1113732 05/09/16 04:40 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack

QFT

I prefer these: Kleenex Flushable Wipes

AMEN BRO and you carry them with you every where you go. It also means less laundy since your underware always remain clean smile

GMdawg #1113736 05/09/16 04:53 PM
Legend
Legend
Man, I must be living in the dark ages ..... because I had never even heard about these things.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
I just remember to keep an extra JC Penny catalog handy.

#GMSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
Always use flushable wipes because the other kinds of wipes are not meant to be flushed and cause a lot of problems for water treatment centers. It costs millions of dollars to get rid of those things.

EveDawg #1113788 05/09/16 07:05 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Always use flushable wipes because the other kinds of wipes are not meant to be flushed and cause a lot of problems for water treatment centers. It costs millions of dollars to get rid of those things.

I Think I just fell in love with Eve smile

E
Legend
Legend
E
Who knew butt wipes could make a man fall in love with me. wink

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Well the dreaded “day before the colonoscopy” is here, Toto.

The Colon Blow medicine says “You can have a light breakfast the day before, OR clear liquids.

Nothing else to eat today or before the procedure.

I just finished a black coffee (with some sweet ‘n low). (I prefer my coffee light - but NO MILK PRODUCTS the day off or before a colonoscopy)

I’m debating having my usual breakfast - an orange, a banana and an apple. (that sounds light to me - but I don’t want any extra poopage later so I haven’t had my light breakfast yet - still debating)

The real fun starts tonight when I consume the first dose of “Colon Blow”.

For those of you who have not experienced the joy of having your lower intestines violated, you take two doses of Colon Blow: 1) the night before, and 2) the morning of.

I’m going with GM’s advice:

Quote:
By GM above:

Just a hint. If you are doing it the night before try to move that up to 4 or 5 PM the AFTERNOON before. Also do it EARLY the next morning and be done way before the two hour window. I Try to have mine done at least 5 to 6 hours before so I am not only cleaned out but I am done running to the bathroom by the time I leave for the hospital.

I rely on minibus transportation that has somewhat unpredictable ride times (sometimes these minibuses have to pick-up and drop-off other riders and a half-hour ride door-to-door can turn into a 1 ½ ride.)

I can’t be “having to go” in the middle of the trip. That’s extreme No Bueno.

I think I’m going to skip the optional “light breakfast” this morning and just go with a couple more black coffees. That would mean no more food for the next ~35 hours (And I haven’t eaten since last night ~ 7 pm. So a total of 46 hours no food)

Now that I look at that - I’m gonna splurge and have the banana.

Just another Tuesday night at the hilldawg residence.

Do I look fat in this dress? (on Tuesday nights, I self-identify as Dorothy)

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg

Do I look fat in this dress? (on Tuesday nights, I self-identify as Dorothy)

You should switch to these and start running.

#GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
I think I spooked the board, Tulsa. Not a single post in this forum in 2 hours.

Those ruby sneakers are to die for.

I'm already hungry. I did have a banana this morning. Next food of any kind not until ~ 4-5 pm tomorrow afternoon.

I'm thinking a Subway Tuna and Cheese grinder. With lettuce, tomato, red peppers, green peppers, extra provolone cheese, sliced jalapenos...

This isn't helping.

Legend
Legend

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:
This leads me to my only issue. I was permitted breakfast on Sunday and nothing else until after the procedure Monday around Noon. I had a headache from not eating.

That is why whenever I've scheduled a test like this, I've always wanted to be the first patient in. Earlier the better. 6am if they can start that early. About an hour and a half later, I'm eating something.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
quote above by PrplPplEater:

"I got a chuckle out of this being right below the "Camera/Picture Taking" thread."

Laugh it up funny boy.

Photo courtesy of GM 3/7/2016 on “The Medical Profession” thread

“They do give you colored photo's (Well at least my Doc does) ”

EveDawg #1113892 05/10/16 09:30 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Who knew butt wipes could make a man fall in love with me. wink

You have to ask yourself if that is the kind of man you are trying to attract though. tongue

yebat' Putin
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Food, I need food. I’m feelin’ light-headed.

Toto? Toto? Where are we? This sure doesn’t look like Kansas.

Auntie Em… come back...come back…

Is that you scarecrow?

I had the strangest dream, and you and you and you were all there.

Legend
Legend
Kansas? Toto's in Africa. wink

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
“Hey buddy, how ya doin’?”

Don’t listen to him friend.

Vote for me.

Are you alright, mister?

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
grandma...grandma...is it really you?

Legend
Legend
T-bones look good, think I'll have steak tonight.

#GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Tonight's dose of Colon Blow is down. (3:27 pm EST)

Two more pints of cold water to follow (within an hour).

Now it's wait and see.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Colonoscopy

Link Copied to Clipboard