Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1141041 08/13/16 04:14 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I will post more later, but to me a few individuals had nice games for us.

Pryor - it was nice to see him on the field, in action, and making plays
Meder - he always seems to play with effort and be around the ball ... maybe starting for us?
Schobert - I thought he played well. Constantly around the ball.
Nassib - he seems to have a high motor and made numerous plays/disruptions.
Murray - he boomed a long FG ... may be our new kicker IMO.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I'll also add that Ogbah looked good on numerous plays ... disruptive and (gasp) even semi-effectively set the edge

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As of right now the D line is woeful and the Mlb,s did not bowl me over .. Liked what I saw out of some of the youth.. First pre season with a long season of teaching in front of the Coaching staff .. Hope I am wrong about Horton !

V
Legend
Legend
V
The number one thing that stood out for me was that the Browns are extremely slow! They are going to get lit up on defense.

Some other thoughts:

--Every time RGIII got hit, I wondered if he would get back up. It looks like he could be broke in half. His legs are so damn skinny. I said that as a negative when he was in college and it still holds true.

--As is the case every year, the Browns could not stop the run.

--Speaking of every year, this team looked pretty much the same as every other year. As I have been saying, too many posters are overdoing the coaching angle.

--Nassib made some effort plays. He's very long.

--Meder made a couple of good plays.

--Pryor was promising.

--Duke had a nice run. He looked a little bigger.

--The OL looked brutal. We are hurting at center and RT. Glad we let those guys walk.

--Green Bay didn't play Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, Matthews, Peppers, etc and they still were by far the more talented team.

--Our secondary is going to be horrid.

--With all the openings we have at WR, where were the other rookies besides Higgins. He had the one nice route on the TD, but other than that........???

--Speaking of the rookies, other than Nassib, they did not impress me. I pimped Ogbah, but he did not look very good to me. The linebackers we brought in are so freaking slow. Coleman on the OL....yikes. Kessler made that first throw, but looked like he was lost on other plays.

--Blah.........

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think the O will be alright with more experience. I hope your wrong about the D, but there does seem to be something missing with the DL. I can see it's going to take some time with this D. I do think we have some nice Rookies to watch. The more they play together the better I think they will be.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
R
Legend
Legend
R
My post game thought ... Hue is going to have a very long season in front of the camera.

That was actually my pre-game thought as well.

Legend
Legend
My post game thoughts,,,,, we got trouble.

Saw RG holding his thigh after the throw to Pryor.. who, IMO was special last night.

Someone said it last year, all Pryor needs is a full training camp at WR and he'll be good.. They may have been right.

Can't wait to see him, Coleman and perhaps even Gordon on the field together.. could be fun to watch.,

Nassib and Ogbah... yeah, that's gonna be a good pair.

Too damn many mistakes.

Other than that, it was the first preseason game.. About what I expected

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
My post game thought ... Hue is going to have a very long season in front of the camera.

That was actually my pre-game thought as well.

agreed

Hopefully people have a bit of patience with Hue. This is not a good team. Just look at how bad the team was last year then look at the players we lost. There are a lot of young players on the team and it is going to take some time to coach them up.

I hope we're wrong about the very long season part, and all that implies.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hue needs to settle on O-Line starters soon. They need to gel fast. Erving and Greco didn't look like they were communicating very well.

It was hard to get a read on the young WRs because as much as the starters need to improve, the backup O-Line was worse.

It was good to see Pryor's success in practice carry over into a game. His catches weren't gimmes and he pulled them in clean.

Nassib and Ogbah flashed. They both have work to do, but they look like they can be players.

Shelton was underwhelming. I was expecting him to get movement, not get moved.

Hopefully Hughes will help the run D stiffen up when he gets back because that start wasn't encouraging.

It was hard to get a read on the secondary with the coverages they were running. I hope the soft coverage doesn't look so prominent come the regular season.

Cam Johnson and Dominique Alexander stood out to me of the backup LBs.

Run game needs work. Duke did look a lot thicker, I wonder if he's been training with Frank Gore. Watson showed some solid hands. Winston's first carry didn't go as bad as his regular season one last season, but it was somewhat reminiscent. Mostert had the big run, but he looked awfully loose with the ball.

RG3 looked solid. Hopefully the Line can do a better job of keeping him upright going forward. I'm not sure who was at fault on the fumbled exchange.

I'm gonna record the 1PM showing and go through the game some more.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Dominique Alexander

Forgot to mention him. I thought he was the best of the linebackers.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I saw the worst organization in football look exactly the same stupid org. as previous years, awful drafts,awful F.A.s phonys hired in F.O and clowns hired to coach. Maybe till we get an owner that knows what hes doing this circus will never change. JMHO By the way.... I just canceled the NFL package for the first time ever

V
Legend
Legend
V
And y'all thought I was negative. rofl

L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
we gave up 3 safeties? thats gotta be a record.
we made their backup qb look like a starter
all our qbs looked like they are number 3s.

if we had a badass qb we would win some games. it looks scary for Hue if rg3 doesnt pan out. of coarse its just first preseason game.

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
This defense is going to be the worst in the AFC.
Sorry but anyone who has a man crush on Horton better reassess
Him.
The Browns have players more suited to 4-3 than 3-4.
None of the Browns LBS can get downhill stone a run.
Green Bay went old fashioned powered fball and dominated
From the get go.
16 yrs in same old issue.

I see Kessler wet his pants
I'm sorry Hue missed the boat on him
He's not Dalton 2.0

Pryor did a nice job of adjusting his body securing the ball.

If Johnson goes down running game and offense in trouble even more

RG3 won't last the whole year. That's why kept McCown.

Good to see the Browns actually have wrs that have radius and height

Overall no top end speed on defense in the back 7.

This is a team that needs to grow up fast

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
From what I've seen from Shelton and Erving since they've been drafted has not been good.

Erving seems to just not be a good player lol

Legend
Legend
Something very encouraging, we only had 5 penalties last night. For a first preseason game that's pretty damn good.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Good list Dawg.

I would add Mostert to the list. Yes, he had a fumbled kick return but, he made up for it on several different plays. With exception to that one mistake he had many good moments.

But, I also listened to it on radio and didn't watch the game so can judge based on audio only.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: candyman92
Something very encouraging, we only had 5 penalties last night. For a first preseason game that's pretty damn good.

Good point.

I'd also say that one time Barnidge was raped and they picked up the flag because it was uncatchable. It should have at least been holding then ... and the drive would've extended

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
About what I thought this team will look like. I think the passing offense could be average to good but good Lord this defense is hot steaming trash. Our MLBers are by FAR the worst in the NFL. And our secondary isnt even average

For some positives? Nassib and Ogbah had quality plays. I didnt see Gilbert get roasted? Pryor looks legit, which is HUGE for our offense.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Also, it was strange that Payton didn't see any time until very late in the game. Hall got way more meaningful reps.

Louis made a nice ST's play, which is where he'll probably need to unseat Moore.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I never said u were negative fact is I agreed with ya most of the time but hey I feel im right, in which is a positive thing that may help my BROWNS head in the right direction IMHO

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I saw what I expected to see: a team that was 3-13 last year with a new front office, a new staff, and a bunch of new players. I wasn't horrifird by the play of the team, I expected them to look rough. My expectations were not very high this year, and, the first game went pretty much like I thought it would.

I saw some things I liked, some I didn't. It is what it is.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Vers - Nassib ... Focused on him every play .. Not sure why he's ever lined up inside .. That's just STUPID ..

When he was inside he was ineffective other than the fact he got enough push in a few pass plays to move the OL back and "collapse" the pocket .. Only problem was he never really affected the QB at all .. He was winning his battle but he was pushing him back way too slowly ...

Once a blocker locks onto him .. He was done .. When he had space to work in .. He won .. He's a quick twitch guy with a good motor ...

Not sure why he would ever be in the middle .. Especially not with who we rushed from the outside last night .. UTILIZE YOUR PLAYERS TALENTS .. That doesn't seem like maximizing his talent ..

Over all observations of him .. And please let me know what u think, .. My final thought was INTRIGUED ... NOT SURE WITCH WAY THIS IS GOING TO GO ...

- great motor, very athletic for his size
- gets better leverage than u would think for a man his size but he struggles being consistent with it .. He won the leverage battle when he bull rushed from the inside ..
- weak upper body .. When OLman got into him it was over! He has good lower body strength but his upper body is very weak for this level ..

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Matter of fact you are the most positive person on this board... Yea your positive that your right and everyone else is wrong. VERS

Last edited by Riley01; 08/13/16 10:35 AM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
we gave up 3 safeties? thats gotta be a record.

Actually, we gave up two safeties. The Browns recorded a safety of their own early in the game.

M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
The number one thing that stood out for me was that the Browns are extremely slow! They are going to get lit up on defense.

Some other thoughts:

--Every time RGIII got hit, I wondered if he would get back up. It looks like he could be broke in half. His legs are so damn skinny. I said that as a negative when he was in college and it still holds true.

--As is the case every year, the Browns could not stop the run.

--Speaking of every year, this team looked pretty much the same as every other year. As I have been saying, too many posters are overdoing the coaching angle.

--Nassib made some effort plays. He's very long.

--Meder made a couple of good plays.

--Pryor was promising.

--Duke had a nice run. He looked a little bigger.

--The OL looked brutal. We are hurting at center and RT. Glad we let those guys walk.

--Green Bay didn't play Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, Matthews, Peppers, etc and they still were by far the more talented team.

--Our secondary is going to be horrid.

--With all the openings we have at WR, where were the other rookies besides Higgins. He had the one nice route on the TD, but other than that........???

--Speaking of the rookies, other than Nassib, they did not impress me. I pimped Ogbah, but he did not look very good to me. The linebackers we brought in are so freaking slow. Coleman on the OL....yikes. Kessler made that first throw, but looked like he was lost on other plays.

--Blah.........

I agree with some of this, yet think this group has plenty of up side. I thought the young players look really good for first time rookies. The LBs looked good to me, Scherbart, Alaxander played really well.

Agree that Meder has been a pleasant surprise and could end up the better NT if not already. Nassib looked solid and Ogbah as an OLB will be special.

Say goodbye to Mingo and Carder, these younger LBs are going to push them out. Kruger looked solid and I want to see a full game with Kruger and Ogbah as the two starters.

I absolutely agree on the defensive backfield, they looked lost I was not impressed. Should have never let Skrine walk.

Starting offense I thought look very promising, Prior may become a big time playmaker and having Gordon and Barnage and Coleman on the field this could turn into a high powered offense. The OL needs some work, the QB can not be hit like this that many times.

Duke looked good, he will be the main RB on this offense, he looks biger and if they can find a few road graders on the line I would expect a big year from Duke.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
And please let me know what u think,

I would not line Nassib up inside on base defenses, but I do think he can be effective lining up inside on nickel defenses, w/guys like Kruger and Ogbah flanking him.

He would be used as a pass rusher and a fairly long guy who can cover ground should the qb run the ball after being pressured or if the opponent runs a draw.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I have watched the interception at the goal-line about 8 times now on ESPN.COM and I don't really see how it was Barnidge's fault. He was running vertically on a seam route - and he was open - when Griffin threw it about 4 yards to his left (just a bit outside). An accurate pass would have been a TD. The announcers, Mike Patrick and Solomon Wilcots were tripping over each other to lay it on Barnidge - unfairly, IMO. I would like to have heard Bernie Kosar's critique, because I think it would have been different than Patrick & Wilcot's.

Last edited by Dave; 08/13/16 11:04 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SSDY

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
The slowest thing on offense was RG3's decision making. He has a very nice arm but doesn't matter if he is not seeing the open receivers. I also think he was trying to force the ball a bit too much. Still three more games before the season starts but as of now I was not impressed by ANY of our QB's.

Running it up the middle on 1st and 10 every single time got real old watching it too. It is preseason though so I hope when the games count they can be more imaginative instead of wasting a down.

Defense had to many guys trying to make a big hit instead of doing sound tackling and body positioning. I could care less about making a fumble. Put your hands on the target and bring him down fast and the first freaking time.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
I have watched the interception at the goal-line about 8 times now on ESPN.COM and I don't really see how it was Barnidge's fault. He was running vertically on a seam route - and he was open - when Griffin threw it about 4 yards to his left (just a bit outside). An accurate pass would have been a TD. The announcers, Mike Patrick and Solomon Wilcots were tripping over each other to lay it on Barnidge - unfairly, IMO. I would like to have heard Bernie Kosar's critique, because I think it would have been different than Patrick & Wilcot's.

The only way it's Barnidge's fault is if it's a read/option route and he should have sat down in that area. That's why nobody (not even analysts) know with 100% accuracy who to blame.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
we also saw Duke actually shed a tackle, something that is a foreign concept

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
How could one guy screw up a team more than what Farmer did? By freaking pure dumb luck you should be able to draft better than what he did. I said it a while back that if both Shelton and Erving didn't improve this was going to set this team back 2-3 more years. That's exactly what it's looking like so far. Again expectations were low, but I don't think fans will be prepared for how bad this will be during the regular season.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U
How could one guy screw up a team more than what Farmer did? By freaking pure dumb luck you should be able to draft better than what he did. I said it a while back that if both Shelton and Erving didn't improve this was going to set this team back 2-3 more years. That's exactly what it's looking like so far. Again expectations were low, but I don't think fans will be prepared for how bad this will be during the regular season.

I know it. Just freaking look at Farmer's draft picks. Good Lord.

And his big FA? Dwayne Bowe?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
First preseason game and nothing changes on these boards. Anything that was good was poo pooed and anything that was bad is considered the future showing itself.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I only watched the first half, then switched to the Indians game. Did Mike Matthews play at C, and how did he look?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I only watched the first half, then switched to the Indians game. Did Mike Matthews play at C, and how did he look?

yes, 3rd string center ... had a holding call IIRC

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

I agree. I was yelling at them last night when they were blaming Barnidge. If RG3 throws that into the seam then that's a touchdown. If Barnidge caught that he's getting laid out at the one. Really wish Bernie was there for that play.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Farmer and Mangina take the cake as far as the worst GMS since 99.
All of the Farmer fans scurried out of here to the witness protection program
He set this team back by whiffing on all his 1st Rd picks
Manziel Gilbert Shelton Erving....
Where's the difference maker ?????
Bill Parcells Marv Levy Bill Cowher could coach this team and not get past 4 wins

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

I agree. I was yelling at them last night when they were blaming Barnidge. If RG3 throws that into the seam then that's a touchdown. If Barnidge caught that he's getting laid out at the one. Really wish Bernie was there for that play.

Mike Patrick: "THAT, my friends, was an example of what is called 'throwing the receiver open'."

Me: "GTFOH!"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 11 Packers 17 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard