Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
To disagree and learn is alot more benefiting than just agreeing on
Everything. That's boring to me.
We are just here to discuss the best game in the world.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I do believe that Meder outplayed Shelton...Shelton better get it together or Meder may just take his spot at starter.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
one thing i hated with this game, the camera angles were so poor it was hard to get a feel of who was in the game. really annoying. will try to concentrate more on the next one.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Dude, I had to watch the Packers feed. They kept interviewing Packer players during the game. Looooooooonnnnnnnngggggg interviews.

Freaking annoying.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Vers , watching the Browns feed was just as bad ~

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Game notes...(btw I'm not making value judgments about their play, just describing what I saw)

Demario Davis gets down hill hard then missed the tackle b/c he didn't wrap his arms (on Eddie Lacy's long run beginning of the first quarter)

O Christian Kirksey came down hill with force a couple times was able to stack and shed/get off a block from a lineman..made a tackle and missed another because he didn't wrap up

• good job by Davis to tip a pass on (3rd down?) w/ good coverage from Tramon Williams

^ defense first series
--------------------------------------------------------
Offenses first series:

• Hue Jackson showing his typical formation shifts first play Griffin goes deep complete Terrelle Pryor

• bobbled hand off, Griffin picked the ball up and then try to run it and then went down (I would have preferred if he just fell on the ball and stay there then safer)

• Spread formation quick set Griffin gets the ball to Barnidge on the quick out

• 3rd and 6/ From the pocket, founf Pryor on left sideline on an 8 yard comeback for the 1st down

• (interception) Griffin throws to Barnidge over the middle on a seam to post conversion against cover 2;

Defense 2nd Series:

• Ogbah draws a holding penalty while getting a pressure on 2nd down from the 5-technique rde

Offense third series:

• Griffin bootleg left to barnidge in the flat

• nice run by Duke Williams

• terrible call by the refs not calling the flag on Micah Hyde holding Gary barnidge of the sidelines good read by Griffin, should have more in the vicinity to make it a catchable ball

• Blitz up the middle against the screen Griffin throws into the dirt places safe

• right tackle gave up pressure on 3rd and 10,

Defense next series:
Ogbah gets a hustle sack

Ogbah 3 pressure from 5 tech

Nassib ×2 plays in backfield (1 sack)

Last edited by edromeo; 08/15/16 09:32 AM. Reason: voice to text errors
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Erving needs to get more consistent with his shotgun snaps. He launched it high on the RG3 INT play. I think that may have accelerated Griffin's internal clock some. The more I think about it, I think Barnidge and Griffin are both to blame. It looked like the Packers were in some permutation of cover 2, so Barnidge should have tried to split the safeties. However, it was 1st down and there was no need to try to force it in there. Hyde did make a great play. Plenty of teachable stuff there.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
j/c
Erving needs to get more consistent with his shotgun snaps. He launched it high on the RG3 INT play. I think that may have accelerated Griffin's internal clock some. The more I think about it, I think Barnidge and Griffin are both to blame. It looked like the Packers were in some permutation of cover 2, so Barnidge should have tried to split the safeties. However, it was 1st down and there was no need to try to force it in there. Hyde did make a great play. Plenty of teachable stuff there.
Erving & OL:
I didn't keep count, but I def saw Erving give up some pressure up the middle, always saw some pressure off the rightside and rightside edge.
That's an area Im gonna watch and note closer in the Atlanta game.

The interception. Watched it over and over a ton. Even have some screen caps that help illustrate what I'm talking about if interested...

Overall I don't "blame" anyone for the interception, it was a hell of a play from Hyde. On the still you can see him accelerate past Barnidge and beat him to the ball.

QB-I think the perfect ball in this situation would be more "into" Barnidge's body rather then leading him upfield. If Griffin makes a throw that forces Barnidge to throttle down and adjust rather then have to chase and extend I think the outcome is either a catch or a drop but not an interception.

Net-net this throw is a learning experience for Griffin and Barnidge as they build chemistry, Gary is a very productive TE but now Griffin knows that he can't lead Gary that far in front and ask him to accelerate to make 'that' type of catch and Gary knows that Griffin is willing to give him a chance on some throws that other QBs might not.

Also, I'm with Hue on this one. While I understand and don't fault Griffin for attempting that throw I would have loved to see him work the slot receiver running the Corner Route on the right side.
The rightside Cover 2 S (Hyde) was hugging the seam which left the Corner Route 1 on 1 and #85? won his route and broke open just when Griffin was making the throw to Gary

Other thoughts-
I liked what I saw from Ogbah and Nassib. Would like to see them play mixed in with the starting defense. Would like to see them in with the 1st unit pass rush. See if they can get that pass rush going it looked too tame to me.

I liked how aggressively both Davis and Kirksey played, getting downhill in the run game. I didn't know that Davis played with that much effort in the run game. Now, they didn't always make the play themselves when they got downhill but they were getting downhill.
I like seeing aggression imho its much harder (damn near impossible) to coach aggression but you can clean up tackling like making sure to bring their arms/wrap

I didn't focus as much as I wanted on the DL, no one jumped out though either good or bad

On the whole, like in most 1st preseason games the tackling was sloppy even from players I consider sure tacklers like IC who I saw miss a tackle

Run game, I think whatever we get from the run game is gonna be handicapped by the lack of the read-option element in preseason. During the regular season I expect the running game to receive a boost b/c defenses will gameplan to account for backside run threat by Griffin.

Anyhow I'm looking forward to seeing more effort made in the run game vs Atlanta

Didn't watch the 2nd half yet

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E

S
Legend
Legend
S
The only thing I can really say about that game was that it was annoying. Everything about it was just blah.

I'm not too positive/negative about the team after the game, because I've seen enough preseason to know this is just a money grab and nothing else.

Cody Kessler and RG3 both had one nice throw each, and also one or two bonehead plays to go with it.

Josh McCown is terrible. I get his value and wouldn't even consider dealing him for a late round pick. He can play just well enough to allow you to lose a close game. We need him for the sanity of the team as maybe some of these other guys can step up and make plays to win said close game.

Austin Davis is bad, and apparently not very smart. I can't see him making the team. I think Kessler is obviously your third guy. I'd allow him to play the second half of games 2 and 3, and most of the 4th game, because we all know he's going to play this year.

Nassib and Ogbah both look like players. I hope that translates to the regular season. Going to need them.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Agreed about Davis. He has very little upside ... and his talent is minimal to begin with. I wouldn't play him much more to be honest ... give reps to Kessler

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn
The only thing I can really say about that game was that it was annoying. Everything about it was just blah.

I'm not too positive/negative about the team after the game, because I've seen enough preseason to know this is just a money grab and nothing else.

Cody Kessler and RG3 both had one nice throw each, and also one or two bonehead plays to go with it.

Josh McCown is terrible. I get his value and wouldn't even consider dealing him for a late round pick. He can play just well enough to allow you to lose a close game. We need him for the sanity of the team as maybe some of these other guys can step up and make plays to win said close game.

Austin Davis is bad, and apparently not very smart. I can't see him making the team. I think Kessler is obviously your third guy. I'd allow him to play the second half of games 2 and 3, and most of the 4th game, because we all know he's going to play this year.

Nassib and Ogbah both look like players. I hope that translates to the regular season. Going to need them.

Just what did you see in Kessler in that game? He got as many safeties on him as he did completed passes.

I'm not saying that he's a bust, but I certainly didn't see anything that would make me want to hand him the reigns just yet.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
it is too early to say they are good.

It's too early to say their bad. But that's not stopping us from saying it here.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I haven't seen any Khalil Macks....Marcus Peters...Todd Gurleys....AJ Greens on this team in light years

We trade down. Then trade up. Then trade down. Then trade up.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Just what did you see in Kessler in that game? He got as many safeties on him as he did completed passes.

I'm not saying that he's a bust, but I certainly didn't see anything that would make me want to hand him the reigns just yet.

Kessler's very first throw was a very nice back shoulder TD throw.. after that not much good. That's what he said. I'm confused how you got from there to "hand him the reigns"...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Hand him the reins in practice. Some truly stooped stuff. Safeties iced us down. Just hoping we get sharper soon.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

Kessler's very first throw was a very nice back shoulder TD throw.. after that not much good. That's what he said. I'm confused how you got from there to "hand him the reigns"...

Pretty much. I believe all I said was that he made a nice throw and had a few bonehead plays. Me saying that he should see a lot more preseason time isn't me crowning him. I just believe, based on the way things with this organization go, that he's going to have to start at least one game this year. I believe he is the only true hope for a franchise guy on this team. That's only because he's young and can still be molded and coached up. He's a lottery ticket at best to the rest of us.

I honestly don't think he should play at all this year, but we all know that isn't going to happen. He's got a lot to learn.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think he should have to earn his spot on the roster rather than have it handed to him.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Sure, but his spot on the roster is pretty much a slam dunk. the Browns will turn to Kessler before Davis

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I just believe, based on the way things with this organization go, that he's going to have to start at least one game this year.

I don't completely disagree with you, and I have my concerns about whether RGIII will stay healthy this year... but on the other hand, we can not continually prepare for things based on the way things have always gone in the past... We have to get over that mindset and prepare like an NFL team should prepare, not like an NFL team that is preparing to fail.

Quote:
I believe he is the only true hope for a franchise guy on this team.

Not sure I agree with that. RGIII has more raw talent and has proven that he can play in this league.. the question is whether he can adapt to a style that keeps him healthy.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:
I believe he is the only true hope for a franchise guy on this team.

Not sure I agree with that. RGIII has more raw talent and has proven that he can play in this league.. the question is whether he can adapt to a style that keeps him healthy.

I'd amend this to state "the question is whether he can adapt to a style that doesn't require him to rely entirely upon his legs/running."

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/08/the_anatomy_of_a_busted_screen.html

An explanation on what happened on the busted screen play. It comes with pics so I won't post it here.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/08/the_anatomy_of_a_busted_screen.html

An explanation on what happened on the busted screen play. It comes with pics so I won't post it here.

Thanks ... if they tried to do this with every busted screen since 99 they'd need 1,000 times the staff

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
From what I've seen from Shelton and Erving since they've been drafted has not been good.

Erving seems to just not be a good player lol

Erving had one high snap, and got beat four times in one quarter of play frown

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
We have got to be the worst screen team in the history of the NFL.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
From what I've seen from Shelton and Erving since they've been drafted has not been good.

Erving seems to just not be a good player lol

Erving had one high snap, and got beat four times in one quarter of play frown

that sounds bad

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Arps

well, I've never seen us pull one off, so yes lol

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Arps

well, I've never seen us pull one off, so yes lol

I believe October, 1963 was the last time we had a successful screen pass. At around the 1 minute mark on the video ...

Legend
Legend
It's amazing that we are never able to figure out how to execute that, just as it is amazing that we have yet to figure out how to defend Pittsburgh's "Trips" formation that they've been killing us with since Hines Ward's 2nd season.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 11 Packers 17 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard