mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Josh McCown fired up by people suggesting Browns should tank

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 13, 2016, 8:59 AM EDT
link

With the Browns at 0-1 after an ugly opening loss, and with starting quarterback Robert Griffin III on injured reserve, and with all the future draft picks the team has stockpiled, should they just tank this season?

Josh McCown, now the starting quarterback with Griffin out, knows people are suggesting that. But he’s offended by it and he says every single player on the team is focused on beating the Ravens on Sunday and winning beyond that.

“For us to just sit back and say, ‘Yeah, this is the year that we’re gonna tank’ and all that, for a player that’s not our mindset at all and that’s not our expectation, and it fires me up when people say that,” McCown said today on PFT Live. “It fires me up and makes this task even greater. We embrace the opportunity to go out there and maybe do something that people don’t think we can do.”

McCown said the older players on the team are showing the younger players the right way to compete, and that’s about preparing to win now, not preparing to win in 2017 and beyond.

“For me and the other veterans on this team, a Hall of Famer like Joe Thomas, that can’t and won’t be the mindset,” McCown said. “Our mindset is to compete and play to win football games. The rest of that is down the road, but our mindset is to compete.”

The Browns don’t look like a team that will be very competitive, but McCown is looking to surprise people this year, not confirm that they’re playing for next year.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
I think he is our best QB. I think RG3 was a lottery ticket and a long shot by hue and the FO. If he worked out with his talent then GREAT. If not, no loss.

Well, he didn't work. Now we resort to the 37 year old backup who actually is a better player IMO ... and who will also be hurt rather soon as well.

Not that it matters much anyways.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Let's hope him being fired up doesn't lead to another concussion trying to dive into the end zone.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Legend
Legend
D
Headline in a few weeks: "Kessler getting his first nfl start", bank on it.

Josh is our best Qb on the roster, always has been. He'll just get hurt too.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish
Let's hope him being fired up doesn't lead to another concussion trying to dive into the end zone.

He's a competitive dude and it wouldn't surprise me at all.
You can say some negative things about the guy but lack of heart would never be one of them!

Wishing him well.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I think he is our best QB. I think RG3 was a lottery ticket and a long shot by hue and the FO. If he worked out with his talent then GREAT. If not, no loss.

Well, he didn't work. Now we resort to the 37 year old backup who actually is a better player IMO ... and who will also be hurt rather soon as well.

Not that it matters much anyways.

4life...IT MATTERS...

Look at the decisions the franchise made in the draft because they took "a chance" on RG.

The decision to go with RG may have cost the Browns a chance at a franchise QB, setting the franchise back at least a year.

The front office traded away their chance at a franchise QB, with the hope that RG would fill that need. I sure that Hue and the front office asked themselves "what if" and formulated a secondary plan in case RG didn't work out.

We still don't know that RG will not return from the injury and show that he is a capable QB.

But regardless of how RG performs if he returns, the front office must put major emphasis RG ability to stay on the field...and IMO, they must secure the first pick in the draft and take the best QB.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
We need him to be smart and protect himself.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
While I don't necessarily agree with the FO, I don't think signing RG3 had any bearing on us drafting/not drafting Wentz. I really don't.

I think if the FO felt he was worthy, Wentz was the pick.

Whether or not their evaluation is correct is up for debate.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. We would have signed RGIII to more than 2 years if we used his being here as a basis to sway decisions on who to draft.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree also. I believed RG3 was going to get hurt based on his history and OURS too as far as qb's are concerned. I just didn't think it would happen so soon. frown

Legend
Legend
He's going to get a chance to prove it this week. We'll see.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
While I don't necessarily agree with the FO, I don't think signing RG3 had any bearing on us drafting/not drafting Wentz. I really don't.

I think if the FO felt he was worthy, Wentz was the pick.

Whether or not their evaluation is correct is up for debate.

x2

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My question is. Why start McCown over Kessler? Ready or not, they took the guy in the third round and Hue stated that was his man and asked everyone to trust him. McCown probably gone after this year and does nothing for the future of this franchise. If you're going to lose, lose building for the future and find out if you even need to keep Kessler on the roster.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
Legend
Legend
I think you could argue all day about who is better... rg3 or mccown.

I think with our oline, McCown will make them look better. He releases the ball in good time, and doesn't scramble a lot.

I think McCown will win us some games, and give our WR/TE's some confidence.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U
My question is. Why start McCown over Kessler? Ready or not, they took the guy in the third round and Hue stated that was his man and asked everyone to trust him. McCown probably gone after this year and does nothing for the future of this franchise. If you're going to lose, lose building for the future and find out if you even need to keep Kessler on the roster.

Kessler couldn't cut it in preseason, putting him in a live game would destroy all his confidence.

No worries though, after Josh goes down - he's next up.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If Hue isnt trying to win games, he will lose this team before he gets started. McCown gives him a chance to win games kessler does not.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
rofl rofl

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Winning 3 as opposed to only 1 is not going to make a difference to the players. The players on this team know this thing is at least 3 years out and will be more if you don't stop with the place holders at QB.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Noodle arm kessler is not the future of this team. If we can manage to stay 2-2 when Josh gets back I will be thrilled. 1-4 and watching Kessler then I am probably done for the season. I need to watch at least a C grade QB to stomach watching the games anymore and the only one on the roster is Josh atm.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
McCown is not even in the argument the future of this team.

V
Legend
Legend
V

That's a good point.

The posters on this board are saying this is a complete rebuild. That we are starting at ground zero and don't want vets. They say that guys like Dansby, Kruger, Whit, Hartline, etc needed to go so we can see "what we have" w/the younger guys and "we ain't going to win this year anyway."

Interesting, but........

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Josh McCown fired up by people suggesting Browns should tank

This fact and the fact that he is our best QB are unrelated. He is our best QB and I think the offense will have a much better flow with him on the field.. he's still not the future, neither is RGIII so the notion of us positioning ourselves for the best QB in the draft next year has nothing to do with it.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Anybody who is suggesting tanking, needs to put themselves in the players shoes. It does nothing for them personally. It sets back their career in the eyes of others. People bitch because the team is not godd, and then want them to play worse, it's maddening.

Maybe I only speak for myself, but I want a team that wants to win, even if they can't. The browns are already the laughing stock of the league, how does tanking a season help remove that stigma. These players have egos and feelings, they have quests for endorsements, and stats that up their pay grade. Tanking on purpose shows they have no heart. Fans that want a team to tank are fools, IMO, they are bad enough, and have enough draft picks to get who they want even if they do somehow have a decent season.

Suggesting that they tank pisses me off.

McCown has pride, and so do most atheletes. I think Josh will be fine, even with this team of youngsters. I actually think it will help more in their development having him on the field. We didn't lose last year because Josh was on the field, no matter how people want to spin it.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

That's a good point.

The posters on this board are saying this is a complete rebuild. That we are starting at ground zero and don't want vets. They say that guys like Dansby, Kruger, Whit, Hartline, etc needed to go so we can see "what we have" w/the younger guys and "we ain't going to win this year anyway."

Interesting, but........

Dansby, Kruger, Whit, Hartline etc. under performed some badly and had fairly high wages...that to me is why they're gone. I don't like the "we ain't gonna win this year anyway." attitude...

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19

Maybe I only speak for myself, but I want a team that wants to win, even if they can't.

No, you are not the only one. Very likely the majority also share that thought...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19
Anybody who is suggesting tanking, needs to put themselves in the players shoes. It does nothing for them personally. It sets back their career in the eyes of others. People bitch because the team is not godd, and then want them to play worse, it's maddening.

Maybe I only speak for myself, but I want a team that wants to win, even if they can't. The browns are already the laughing stock of the league, how does tanking a season help remove that stigma. These players have egos and feelings, they have quests for endorsements, and stats that up their pay grade. Tanking on purpose shows they have no heart. Fans that want a team to tank are fools, IMO, they are bad enough, and have enough draft picks to get who they want even if they do somehow have a decent season.

McCown has pride, and so do most atheletes. I think Josh will be fine, even with this team of youngsters. I actually think it will help more in their development having him on the field. We didn't lose last year because Josh was on the field, no matter how people want to spin it.

^This

Josh is not an All Pro, but he is a guy who is solid and can competently execute your offense. That's the kind of guy who will help develop the rest of the young offense so when we do finally get that unicorn er.. All Pro QB, the rest of the team will be ready.

I don't understand why people keep forgetting the other 52 players on the roster?

Honestly I'm kind of excited to see Josh again this year. A 37yr old QB who genuinely appreciates the opportunity to play, and has to know this is probably his last season. And with his career he's got every motivation to go out there and leave it all on the field to make this his best season ever.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

So, the FO pisses you off?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

they're not tanking. lol uncanny how people can just make stuff up.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
V
Legend
Legend
V
Uhmmmm...........so, just how many posters are "suggesting the Browns 'tank' the season?"

Amazing how people make things up, isn't it?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
lol should I go take a head count? funny you should name the FO as tanking the season tho, right?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Not sure what you are talking about????????? I haven't seen anyone say that the Browns should tank the season.

In order to arrive at that conclusion, one would have to assume that the OP was talking about the Browns playing Kessler instead of McCown.

If one can make that jump, then one should also assume that getting rid of your veteran players so you can play other young players also equates to tanking the season.

Look, guys like you and 19 can get as huffy as you like and blame the fans for everything. However, it is NO SECRET that the FO has said that they are in a complete rebuild. So, I really don't get the irritation, anger, and disgust of from some of you just because a poster suggests we should play Kessler.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:

looks like you're suggesting the FO is tanking the season for starters...
and no, in another thread I suggested "why not start Cody?" I am all for it. why not see if he is what I think we drafted him for?... I am angry at all.
an yes I have seen a couple of posters saying the FO is tanking

V
Legend
Legend
V
I know you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I was referring to 19 saying that posters were suggesting that the Browns tank the season, when in fact, I can't find posters suggesting any such thing.

I have already explained it to you. You either can't read at all or are deliberately ignoring what my intent was.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
looks like you're suggesting the FO is tanking the season for starters...

I have already answered this question. Let me do it again. Slowly.

I
do
not
think
the
FO
is
deliberately
tanking
the
season.
Instead,
I
have
read
where
they
said
there
is
a
complete
rebuild
going
on.

19 is the one who made the dumb statement. I was simply throwing that "logic" back into his angry face.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JC,

I'm happy he gets another shot to step up and play. Really, we have nothing else to lose. Hopefully, with a consistent QB behind center this well help develop our young WRs. Josh loves to play vertical and he'll get that opportunity to air it out with Prior, Coleman, and Gordon when he comes off his suspension. I really never felt RG3 would last long enough to prove himself a reliable option for the future.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I know you are not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I was referring to 19 saying that posters were suggesting that the Browns tank the season, when in fact, I can't find posters suggesting any such thing.

I have already explained it to you. You either can't read at all or are deliberately ignoring what my intent was.

yes I have read some saying we are tanking the season...won't go find it cuz I just don't feel like it...not the sharpest knife? that makes you not the brightest bulb in the room...
I didn't see the whole thread to see what your intent was...just used to you being a smart @#$ to some posters I guess...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Ahhhh...........so, you spoke from an uninformed position. Why don't I find that shocking?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If I mistook your post I apologize Vers...this whole board is a "taste great", "less filling" kinda vibe to it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ahhhh...........so, you spoke from an uninformed position. Why don't I find that shocking?

just trying to be like you buddy...you are my idol, you know that right?

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL...........no problem, grasshopper. wink

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh McCown...might be the Browns best QB.

Link Copied to Clipboard