Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
I mean, I can see how a trailing ref would think "that's a punk move" ... but I don't think (even if misunderstood) the action was that egregious

In other words, even IF Pryor intended to taunt, I've seen worse than that not called

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I think the NFL trying to put pressure on the refs to call a strict game for our other rivals set the tone of the AFCN games this weekend. The NFL did not want to see any dumb things get blown out of proportion. They did not want to see any more controversies. That's the only way I can understand the penalty on TP... I still have no idea where the Coleman penalty came from though. Surely, if the ref saw Coleman whiff then they saw the Ravens player punch CC after it.

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
It wasn't just the Coleman and Pryor penalties. The Ravens were holding all day. Steve Smith threw several haymakers away from plays in front of refs that weren't called. Several late hits on McCown weren't called.

One is the Browns and one is the Ravens. Pretending favoritism doesn't exist is the same as pretending fans don't influence decisions at the FO and ownership levels.

Legend
Legend

The taunting call was a case of an official going overboard.

Given the totality of the entire situation: the game coming down to the wire etc. There is no way you let a penalty like that change the outcome of a NFL game.

It would be different if the play and player were obvious and that the call was about the play itself. Like an obvious personal foul call or and obvious interference call.

For a ref to effect a game like that on a call like that is just wrong. He should be reprimanded.

Terrible call.

Legend
Legend
Yep, it was a horrible call. That said, if they'd just hand the ball to the ref after the play this crap goes away. We can't control the refs, we can our actions.

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed 100%. We played our hearts out yesterday never gave up and we end up losing this game to a BS call like that. Granted we made our share of mistakes but that is to be expected with our young team. McCown did have another chance and threw the pick but without that call it could have been different. It seems with the way the ref's call our games we have to be near flawless.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
McCown did have another chance and threw the pick but without that call it could have been different.
he's got more of a chance to make a 10 yard pass with a broken collarbone than a 28 yard pass with one.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Malcolm Johnson has been pretty good through two games. I didn't think there was any chance he was going to be any good ever.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Malcolm Johnson has been pretty good through two games. I didn't think there was any chance he was going to be any good ever.

Yeah I've noticed that too. Did he get hurt yesterday though?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My thoughts...different year, new FO/coaches ect and..same ol losing results. Some things never change. This team being up by 18 and losing by 5 is the Cleveland Browns way. They have perfected the art of being the best losers.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U
My thoughts...different year, new FO/coaches ect and..same ol losing results. Some things never change. This team being up by 18 and losing by 5 is the Cleveland Browns way. They have perfected the art of being the best losers.

We were up 20.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U

Maybe this time we will learn that constant change isn't the answer and that maybe, just maybe, we should give this staff time to work it out... like more than 2 years...

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I have been trying to find a video of it. I think you guys missed the first part of it.

And.............why would I defend Pryor but blame Coleman? I'm simply trying to be fair rather than being one-sided.

Thanks for talking about this. I didn't see the game and had no idea what happened.

They should have let that run 30 seconds longer. The db got in 2 more shots after that.

The head first shove into Coleman is what stood out to me. The play was over and it was unnecessary, to me that was the first incident.

Coleman shouldn't have responded the way he did, but Smith should have been called for the head first block after the play was over. They should have at least been off-setting penalties IMO.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Agreed 100%. We played our hearts out yesterday never gave up and we end up losing this game to a BS call like that. Granted we made our share of mistakes but that is to be expected with our young team. McCown did have another chance and threw the pick but without that call it could have been different. It seems with the way the ref's call our games we have to be near flawless.

We didn't lose the game because of a bs call, we lost because we gave up 25 unanswered points.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Squires

We didn't lose the game because of a bs call, we lost because we gave up 25 unanswered points.

That's another way to look at it.

Going for a score from the 30 is quite different than going for the score from the 10. In that respect, fhe BS call did definitely impact the game in a huge way.

Our youth, injured qb, weak O line and some questionable calls aided the situation as well and made the BS call a bit more difficult overcome.

It was a BS call. No question! And it did impact the game.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One might argue they went unanswered because of poor officiating.

Josh McCown couldn't afford the metaphorical hand tied behind his back. He was literally down to one without the officials' "assistance."

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
O
Legend
Legend
O
What bothers me most about the TP call is that the hit Josh McCown took on the ground after giving himself up was an obvious penalty yet was not called.

I think there were way too many bad calls and non calls in this game that went against us. It was very lopsided.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
i thought there were 2-3 blatant holds by their offensive tackles ... like to the point that I stopped paying attention to the plays

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

You guys are still whining?

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Yep! Just like some of you are still whining about the presidential candidates.

That Pryor call truly pi**ed me off!

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm whining about the presidential election?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Yep, it was a horrible call. That said, if they'd just hand the ball to the ref after the play this crap goes away. We can't control the refs, we can our actions.
Just a thought. but maybe they should make PFs reviewable

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm whining about the presidential election?
yes

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: KashDawg
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
I have been trying to find a video of it. I think you guys missed the first part of it.

And.............why would I defend Pryor but blame Coleman? I'm simply trying to be fair rather than being one-sided.

Thanks for talking about this. I didn't see the game and had no idea what happened.

They should have let that run 30 seconds longer. The db got in 2 more shots after that.

The head first shove into Coleman is what stood out to me. The play was over and it was unnecessary, to me that was the first incident.

Coleman shouldn't have responded the way he did, but Smith should have been called for the head first block after the play was over. They should have at least been off-setting penalties IMO.

Ty so much for posting that vine.

Wanted to show my brother who missed the game it wasn't just one bad call.

Does anyone have a clip of McCown getting dog piled after sliding? Would much appreciate it

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
You realize of course the special teams cost us the game.

If they had not muffed the extra point attempt in the first quarter, the score would have been Ravens ahead 23-21 with the Browns having the ball on the Ravens 30 yard-line with 5 seconds left on the clock.

For a 47 yard game winning field goal as time expired.

It's amazing how close so many of these loses are.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Squires

I disagree.. what's the difference if we were up 20 and gave up 25 unanswered or down 25 and scored 20 unanswered in a comeback or if it was a back and forth that was at 25-20 at the time?

In the grand scheme of things, how it came to be 25-20, in that moment, is irrelevant... a bad call that could cost you the game is still a bad call.

I get your sentiment that if you are winning 20-2 in the first quarter, you need to score more points and you need to be able to stop them from running off 23 more points.. You need to be able to put that game away... I get that, that's what good teams do... I also get that there will always be other things you can point to that contributed to a loss beyond one single call...

None of that matters, a bad call is a bad call and it impacts the game... regardless of when it occurs in the game, what the score is at the time, or how the score got to be that way...

yebat' Putin
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
The Browns need to understand that they will be on the short end of calls until they rise to a respectable level of play within the NFL.

Until then, every move will be scrutinized and the calls most likely will not go their way.

They would be wise to just play hard, stay within the limits and earn respect.

Not saying the NFL is fixed, but if there is a chance, it even further goes against the Browns.

Last time I will say it but that Pryor call just irritates me to no end!!!!! That ref should be fired for such a blantantly poor call effecting the outcome of this game. Hope they learn from it going forward. They are being watched!

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Not saying the NFL is fixed, but if there is a chance, it even further goes against the Browns.

I agree with you. I do not believe it is a conscious decision but if you see a bang bang play, there is this subconscious thing that tells you that the better team, Steelers, Patriots, Seahawks, etc.. were probably in the right, so they will get more calls than not.. and teams like the Browns will often be on the short end of that stick.

yebat' Putin
V
Legend
Legend
V
You did not answer my question.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You did not answer my question.
I think he was pretty clear

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Very late to the party.

The defense is playing better then most expected it seems.

Shelton is playing well, Haden looks to be rounding into form.
Kirksey and Davis are playing good ball, especially against the run.

Contrary to some opinions expressed I don't think the Safeties are playing poorly. This scheme plays a lot of Cover 1/Cover 3 with a centerfield FS where they are often covering the middle 1/3 of the field deep.
When a CB gets burned to the outside in those coverage calls they don't get Safety help like you would expect in Cover 2 or split Safety coverages.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Ravens 25 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard