DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Rishuz Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:10 PM
--I didn't think those Lincoln commercials with Matt M. could get worse, but I really don't understand this latest one.

--Lionel Richie doesn't look like he's aged a day in 25 years.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:10 PM
I'm still looking for what's taunting.
Posted By: Thebigbaddawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:11 PM
Easy to blame refs, Dumbass McCown threw into quad coverage at the end.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:13 PM
McCown is a loveable loser.

The reason McCown always takes a beating has nothing to do with the offensive line. He plays with no anticipation. He waits way too long for plays to develop. The result is he takes a ton of hits. I was actually hoping to see Kessler.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:14 PM
Right side of the line was garbage.

McCown was garbage.

That call against Pryor at the end of the game was garbage.
Posted By: Woofurious Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:15 PM
J/C. What else is there to say? It is always the same outcome regardless of where the blame is laid. Always with a with a inexplicable thud or a sobering whimper. Same ol' same ole. That is all. As usual I could copy and paste this every week for the entire season and it would be mostly accurate.
Posted By: myka Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:16 PM
Congrats to our guys for outplaying the Ravens.

Too bad the refs took the win. For some reason NFL still deems it more profitable to have the Browns lose. Oh well. Maybe next year.
Posted By: HewDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:16 PM
I thought we should have stuck with more Crow. He was clearly effective and the line was opening up holes. I can see this team really putting up serious points within the next few years with this young crew.

Defensive front did well against the runs. LBs and Safeties need to know how to cover TEs. That middle seam killed us. We really need some upgrades at safety.

Special teams was not so special.

Those referees...wow! What an awesome officiating crew!
Posted By: Jcamm Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:16 PM
Always inventing new ways too lose
Posted By: myka Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
Easy to blame refs, Dumbass McCown threw into quad coverage at the end.

Yes, it is easy to blame the refs cuz they won this game.

Normally I'd say play through it but the bias was waaaay too much to handle this time.
Posted By: Swish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:20 PM
Well....

our young as hell defense held the ravens to 80 yards rushing.

Haden had two INT.

really the biggest problem on Defense was we couldn't stop a TE to save our lives. Smith only had 64 yards. Wallace only had 41.

but Pitta went off for 102. Our safeties were getting ate alive by TE's.

and we couldn't seal the deal with sacking Flacco. no sacks. we have to get better pressure.

But there's no question that was a way better performance by our Defense than last week.

on offense:

Crow had 133 yards on 18 attempts. we need to be feeding him over 20 carries.

Coleman had 104 yards and 2 TD's.

not a bad rebound game from our first rounder!!!!

there's a lot of things to be critical about.

but overall, we got some talent on both sides of the ball. better drafting, keeping our coaches in place to develop the talent we have...and we're headed in the right direction.

oh yea, screw those refs.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:20 PM
Did you guys expect a win? After last week we played a ton better.

McCown did a good job IMO. Lots of little mistakes, youth, the Refs and the better team is why we didn't win.

Negative, there were many but the only player who is consistently bad imo is Erving. I hope they get him fixed or bench him. He just looks lost most plays.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:20 PM
Coleman caught the ball today.

Refs seemed against us.

Crow is great when he has big holes to run through, and doesn't have to show patience or vision.

McCown looked way better than RG3 early. The shoulder definitely hurt him later.

O Line needs to get better. Everybody had at least a couple bad plays.

What's the word on Nassib? We missed his energy.

Kindred looked good on most plays. Has room to improve.

Haden looked better this week.

We need to put together a complete game.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:21 PM
The Defense played better BUT they gabe up 25 unanswered points
Posted By: BrownMoose Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:24 PM
Did any of you expect the Browns to look better than they did today?
I certainly did not.
The fact that we're upset with a loss because of the refs is way better than being upset because of the effort (not much, but still).
I'll take that after game 2 with this rookie team any day.
Posted By: Woofurious Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:24 PM
Originally Posted By: DaveyD

In their defense they only gave up 23. tongue
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Woofurious
Originally Posted By: DaveyD

In their defense they only gave up 23. tongue

And it's not the D's fault the points were unanswered.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:32 PM
Again, Haden had a great game.

I remember people wanting him traded because he was faking his injuries. rolleyes
Posted By: WVDawg54 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:33 PM
The difference between a veteran team and this team was highlighted last week and this.

When the Browns faced adversity last week, they crumbled.

When the Ravens faced adversity this week, they kept plugging away till they won the game.

We need to learn how to win and impose our will on the opponent. When we were up 20-2, we needed to play hard enough to be up 35-2.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:34 PM
Originally Posted By: BrownMoose
Did any of you expect the Browns to look better than they did today?
I certainly did not.
The fact that we're upset with a loss because of the refs is way better than being upset because of the effort.
I'll take that after game 2 with this rookie team any day.

My thoughts exactly.

They are a young team, and they made some young mistakes.

However, they have some speed, which is something this team has lacked in the past. Coleman can fly, and Crow really turned on the jets on his long TD run. I thought that Louis had a nice play in coverage, flying down the field. Higgins had a nice effort on a ball that came back on a penalty, but the effort was there. Schobert had a couple of nice snaps in coverage. Kindred played a nice game, and he seemed to have improved from last week.

This team is very young, though, and there are mistakes at key moments .... but I think that they are going to be better than I thought. (barring what happens with the QBs)
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:35 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I remember people wanting him traded and/or claiming he was faking his injuries. rolleyes

Haden played well today. I was one who wondered if he had anything left .. and he showed that he can be effective.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:36 PM
I amended my post to be a bit more specific, but it's not directed at you.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:38 PM
We're on the brink of three QBs in three weeks.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:39 PM
Liking what I am seeing. We are playing better than I thought we would. Losing RG3 hurt. Still, the kids are flashing. Coleman scores two TD's has a really good game. The run defense is pretty decent so far. Yes we have a lot of holes and we are really really young, but as long as a good amount of the young guys learn and become players for us that's fine! We ran the ball a llittle better this week but we still didn't get the ball to Crowell enough. He needs 20-25 carries every week.

This was game two season one. A LONG way to go. It's a start......
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:39 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I remember people wanting him traded and/or claiming he was faking his injuries. rolleyes

The only problem I had with Haden's game today was his TD allow on Wallace. Its not that he allowed the TD. He just looked clueless on the play. Terrible footwork. Didn't know if he was playing outside leverage or inside leverage. He also seems reluctant to jam at the line anymore as well. I expect a lot from Haden. The Wallace TD was a bush league play for a guy of his caliber.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:51 PM
I don't think Haden had a great game. He had two picks and a good play on run support, but he got picked on multiple times.

I would say he had an up-and-down day.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 08:53 PM
I think the O looked better w/Josh than RGIII.

I do agree that the run defense is playing better than I expected....by a long shot.
Posted By: lionchamp29 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:00 PM
cam erving left the stadium in a stretcher. head immobalised. hope he`s ok.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:10 PM
I have yet to read all the replies so, am sure it has already been mentioned. BUT...I can't believe the weak calls that affected the potential outcome. The personal foul call against Corey and the taunting on Pryor at the end were bad, bad, bad calls. We can complain to the league all we want but, it still doesn't make up for the fact that the last call, in particular, potentially cost us the game.

Disgusted.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:13 PM
There was a Ref right there.. Pryor tosses the ball to the Ref, no call.. Idiot Pryor bounces the ball off the defender then we have a penalty that kills the game for us.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:13 PM
That's not what lost the game for us, but it WAS a crap call, agreed.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:18 PM
The call against Pryor was terrible. Coleman earned his call. He was wrong and Hue let him know it.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:23 PM
Shocking really. This loss doesn;t really upset me. We played them hard, and it was GREAT seeing Coleman start to warm up.

Even the defense. I watched Shelton a lot since everyone said he had a good game against Philly. Maybe I need to tone it down on him, he played good. With Nassib out, I watched a lot of him. Ogbah played good too.

Josh took a hammering. Ouch. I'm sore from watching him get hit. He'll hate tomorrow morning.

TP needs to clean up the dumb penalties.

Joe Haden played great. THIS is the Haden I like to watch.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:26 PM
Oh, and Crow seem to run harder. He also had some lanes there to get him started.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:28 PM
We managed to Browns it again, blowing a potential win with stupidity. The taunting call was a no brainier, don't toss the ball at the opponent. Prior doesn't do that, it's maybe a win. Typical Browns. flamingmad rolleyes boo willynilly
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:29 PM
Originally Posted By: DawgMichelle

Agreed that doesn't lose us the game but, it definitely changed it. We could have been inside the 10. We may not have scored. They may have held us. We may have fumbled. We may have been picked off. But, it was a huge play that ultimately came back. From what I saw he swizzles it out of his hand and the defender getting up hit it. I don't see Pryor meaning to do it. He doesn't look at him nor does he say anything.

Terrible call.
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
The call against Pryor was terrible. Coleman earned his call. He was wrong and Hue let him know it.

I saw the defender slap Coleman's helmet and then push Coleman. Not sure how that earns the call.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:30 PM
j/c

Just got home from the game, I haven't read through yet...just my thoughts.

That was the best quarter of football I've seen the Browns play in a long time. I just wish they could have continued. Kirksey, Shelton, and Coleman showed up!!

I think Jimmy needs to think about paying the refs more than the Ravens did, cause that was some awfully 1-sided calling. Nassib was tackled right in front of the back judge with no call. McCown laid down and the Ravens piled on hard with no call. Hue's challenge should have been reversed. And how was that a taunt on Pryor?!!
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:31 PM
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: DawgMichelle

Agreed that doesn't lose us the game but, it definitely changed it. We could have been inside the 10. We may not have scored. They may have held us. We may have fumbled. We may have been picked off. But, it was a huge play that ultimately came back. From what I saw he swizzles it out of his hand and the defender getting up hit it. I don't see Pryor meaning to do it. He doesn't look at him nor does he say anything.

Terrible call.

Yes, agreed.
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:32 PM
I don't think Haden had a great game. He had two picks and a good play on run support, but he got picked on multiple times.

I would say he had an up-and-down day.

He still plays smart, but he's a step slow. If he gets his speed back, he'll be awesome.

I'm not high on Crowell like everyone else this week. Take away the 85 yard run and he had 17 carries for 48 yards.

We can't cover a TE to save our lives, but it is because our LB's are over playing the run and not because of our safeties.

Josh McCown looked golden pre-injury and like crap post injury. Hard to blame him much for trying to tough it out.

Defense did great against the run, but Baltimore couldn't run last week either.

Our non-Hayden corners still suck.

For the second week, I am excited about our WR's and hopefully by the time Gordon comes back, we'll have someone left to throw to them.

The rookies and the second year guys have grown a lot. Shelton and Erving have impressed me with how much better they have played physically. Erving needs to put it together mentally, but has done well for the most part.

We are going the right direction in my opinion.
Posted By: ErikInHell Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:33 PM
That 'taunting' foul was garbage. Pryor wasn't even looking at that player when he dropped the ball, and it was the exact same move he'd made all day after a catch. Taunting my butt. It's a shame we can't cuss on this board, as I have some very disgusting things to say about that ref, his mother, and his supposed parentage.

After that, I'll be surprised if McCown doesn't die of his injuries, not to mention that he lost all zip on the ball after the last major hit he took.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:33 PM
Coleman threw a left jab BEFORE the defender slapped him back. He was wrong and that is why Hue lit into him.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:34 PM
Don't forget the no call on the hit McCown took after giving himself up in the pocket. A few plays later one of our Dline fell into Flacco's legs and he got the call...

Overall the refs were very one sided today. 12th man for Baltimore.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:36 PM
Pro Football Focus ‏ @ PFF 2m 2 minutes ago

Browns top graded players against Ravens
CB Joe Haden 87.5
QB Josh McCown 80.0
OLB Nate Orchard 79.1
HB Isaiah Crowell 79.0
# BALvsCLE
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:39 PM
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
There was a Ref right there.. Pryor tosses the ball to the Ref, no call.. Idiot Pryor bounces the ball off the defender then we have a penalty that kills the game for us.

He was trying to hand it to the ref and the ref just stood there staring at him so he let go of it. It wasn't intentionally thrown at the defense.

How was it not offsetting penalties on the Coleman one?

Then there is the late hit no call on McCown, while Paea gets blocked into Flacco's legs as he's throwing and that gets flagged.

Also a definite block in the back on the XP return.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:46 PM
.. So many things went on over the course of the game .. An absolute horrid Game by the ref's.. the Rat's where holding and almost tackling our D line soooooooo many plays (obvious like jerseys pulled ) .. Tick tak personal on Pryor and the list goes on ..
.. Lack of talent is still our biggest problem and contributions to the Dark side by the Coaching staff doesn't help . Not now , nor will I ever be a fan of Horton ..
.. Sorry to see Erving get hurt , but is not the answer at Center .. Our D back field is a disaster .. Draft next year starts with QB and then moves rapidly to CB .. And no I don't trust our FO with the QB pick !
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Swish

Where are all the guys that were ready to sign Coleman off as a bust after 2 quarters last week?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:55 PM
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Originally Posted By: Swish

Where are all the guys that were ready to sign Coleman off as a bust after 2 quarters last week?

I missed those posts. Do you have some links?
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:57 PM
Quote:
He was trying to hand it to the ref and the ref just stood there staring at him so he let go of it. It wasn't intentionally thrown at the defense.

How was it not offsetting penalties on the Coleman one?

Exactly

On the Pryor taunt when they showed the one replay it sure looked like Pryor was trying to give the ball to the official but he never put out his hands so Pryor dropped it. On the Coleman play Smith lowered his head/shoulder and plowed into Coleman even thought they were no where near the play so Coleman shoved at him but didn't hit him but Smith was allowed to shove and slap Coleman?!?!
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 09:59 PM
I wish there was some way that these refs could be held accountable, its just not fair. I would like to believe he NFL looks at stuff like this and when it comes time to renew particular contracts they say no to some refs.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:03 PM
I agree w/you about Pryor, but Coleman instigated that play w/Smith.

It was a selfish, dumb-ass play. Hue was pissed. So were some other teammates.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:05 PM
It was a bad play by Coleman, but he only whiffed with a slap. Jimmy Smith then hit with a slap, gave a head butt and a two hand shove. Should have offset.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:05 PM
Vers, once again you are right about Shelton. I feel this team needs a long term QB, o-line help and secondary help.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:07 PM
I think Coleman hit Smith after the whistle and it was away from the play.

I get that posters wanna blame the refs for the loss, but why was Hue so mad at him?

Other coaches and players also talked to him. It was a selfish, stupid play.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:08 PM
I appreciate it, Candy..........but I don't deserve any credit for pimping Shelton. I have criticized him plenty in the past.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:08 PM
j/c:

Quote:
Grossi: Hue said he expects McCown to be ready for Miami, but it really didn’t look like he is going to be ready to play next week.
0 retweets 0 likes

https://twitter.com/ESPNCleveland/status/777629822176624641
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:10 PM
But Coleman didn't hit him and it was shove attempt not a punch, Smith actually shoved and slapped Coleman. They should have had off-setting penalties. If it had been the other way around the refs would have called it that way.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:11 PM
I think you are wrong. You think I am wrong.

Why was Hue so mad at him if he were as innocent as you guys are making him out to be?
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:12 PM

I get that posters wanna blame the refs for the loss, but why was Hue so mad at him?

It was a foul on Coleman, but that doesn't mean the other guy should then get to open a can of whoop a-- on him with no repercussions.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:14 PM
We did not lose the game because of the refs.

However, if Coleman does not make that selfish, dumb-ass play, we might very well would have won the game.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:15 PM
Because Hue was trying to teach him that the smart move would have been to ignore Smith completely and I'm not saying Coleman wasn't at fault but just that if it would have been the other way around the refs would have called off setting fouls like they normally do in those situations.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:15 PM
I agree it was bad on Coleman.

Jimmy Smith still escalated things after.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:17 PM

The Browns are constantly battling their opponent and the refs. Its a funny thing for the Browns to be perennial losers. Its fun to make fun of them. Its become the norm to always have them be a punchline. There's a lot of interest in the NFL to keep it that way. The officiating crew today was looking for anything they could find to call to give the Ravens the advantage and Coleman and Pryor gave it to them. The side judge and the ref could not have been more overjoyed when Pryor tossed the ball.

This is what happens when you have owners like Biscotti being in tight with Goodell. Goodell is the biggest crook in all of sports.

This is the life of a cellar dweller.
Posted By: nordawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:18 PM
Coleman threw a left jab BEFORE the defender slapped him back. He was wrong and that is why Hue lit into him.

Yes I seen that on the relay.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:18 PM
Quote:
Because Hue was trying to teach him that the smart move would have been to ignore Smith

Ignore Smith? Coleman started it!!!

If I was coaching the team......I would bench him for the start of the next game. Yeah, he played well...........but selfish players hurt the culture of your team and I don't care how good they are.
Posted By: MrTed Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:19 PM
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg

Wasn't able to see the game, are you saying that Pryor tossed the ball to the ref, it bounced off the defender and he got called for it?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:20 PM
Shouldn't that be in purple.

The refs purposely cheated so the Rats would win? Seriously? rofl
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:22 PM
Quote:
Because Hue was trying to teach him that the smart move would have been to ignore Smith

Ignore Smith? Coleman started it!!!

If I was coaching the team......I would bench him for the start of the next game. Yeah, he played well...........but selfish players hurt the culture of your team and I don't care how good they are.

Yes, ignore Smith. The reason Coleman did what he did was because he took exception to the fact that Smith lowered his shoulder and plowed into him even though the play was no where near him, which was legal but Coleman took exception.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:22 PM
Do you think it should be in purple? naughtydevil
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:24 PM
No dude...........Coleman initiated it. It was dumb and selfish.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:25 PM
Well, I don't use purple because true sarcasm should make others wonder.

So..............perhaps you pulled off a beautiful coup.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:28 PM
Pryor says he wasn’t trying to taunt, shouldn’t have been flagged

Posted by Zac Jackson on September 18, 2016, 6:27 PM EDT
Cleveland Browns wide receiver Terrelle Pryor (11) holds out the football after scoring a touchdown during the first half of an NFL preseason football game against the Atlanta Falcons, Thursday, Aug. 18, 2016, in Cleveland. (AP Photo/David Richard)
AP
The Browns were driving, trailing by five, in the game’s final minute Sunday when Josh McCown hit Terrelle Pryor on a 20-yard pass that would have made it first and goal at the Ravens’ 10-yard line.

But Pryor was called for taunting after the play, and that call offset a defensive holding call on the Ravens. Pryor was apparently flagged for throwing the ball or spinning it in front of an opponent.

Pryor said after the game what he did shouldn’t have drawn a flag.

“I’m just saying there are other people that can catch a ball and spin it and look at players in the face,” Pryor said. “But if I get up and drop the ball…clearly I wasn’t trying to drop it on nobody. But I’ll let Coach Jackson handle that.”

The ball went back to the 30-yard line for a replay of the down, and McCown was intercepted by Ravens linebacker C.J. Mosley on the next play.

“I’m not going to say if it was or wasn’t [a taunt],” Browns coach Hue Jackson told reporters after the game. “I haven’t seen it. I’ve heard different sides of it, but they called it so we have to do a better job of making sure that we get the ball to the official and go from there.”

The Browns led 20-0 didn’t score over the final 49:40 and lost, 25-20.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...e-been-flagged/
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:30 PM
I was only half joking. Perhaps I should use magenta.

The bottom line is that same play does not get called on the Rats if the roles are reversed. Its easy to make that call against the Browns. The refs won't be criticized because the Browns are perennial losers. They make that call against the Rats and there could be a lot of backlash. The refs are human and fallible.

This is the life of a cellar dweller. You don't just have to beat your opponent. You have to overcome much longer odds as well.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:30 PM
Eh, from the replay I saw, Smith popped Coleman on a play that occurred on the other side of the field. Coleman made a half assed attempt (and missed) at slapping Smith. Smith punched him back.

Penalty. Browns.

Hue was upset because he hadn't seen the play, all he knew was it was a call against the Browns, and Coleman was the culprit, according the the official.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:33 PM
I have been trying to find a video of it. I think you guys missed the first part of it.

And.............why would I defend Pryor but blame Coleman? I'm simply trying to be fair rather than being one-sided.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:33 PM
Quote:
The Browns led 20-0 didn’t score over the final 49:40 and lost, 25-20.

This really tells you all you need to know.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:35 PM
I have been trying to find a video of it. I think you guys missed the first part of it.

And.............why would I defend Pryor but blame Coleman? I'm simply trying to be fair rather than being one-sided.

Coleman should have been flagged. He started it. But Smith should have been flagged as well. Unless they allow retaliation now.

But you know, one team is the Ravens and one is the Browns.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:35 PM
j/c

I'd suggest setting your TV to black and white, watching the play again, and then deciding who should have been flagged.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:38 PM
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
j/c

I'd suggest setting your TV to black and white, watching the play again, and then deciding who should have been flagged.

Was that meant for me?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:40 PM
Rish.........I am thinking as a former coach. It's called discipline. I would bench Coleman for the start of the next game. There was absolutely NO NEED to initiate that altercation on Coleman's part. Heck, even if he did not start it, there was no need to do so.

We were in FG range. Could have taken the lead. It's not about refs favoring others due to ownership and Goodell...LOL........it's about discipline and being mentally tough.

It's one of the reasons the Browns continue to lose. They are mentally weak!
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:46 PM
Well, now you're talking about two different things. Favoritism and discipline. I agree with you about the discipline. I wanted Hue to pull Coleman from the game as soon as it happened. Especially after he had an attitude with Hue as he walked off the field. If it were me, he would not have finished the game today. I can't think of a stronger message that could have sent to the team.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 10:49 PM
j/c

Can't find the Coleman/Jimmy Smith dustup anywhere, but here's an article on the taunting flag. Shows what I saw.

Link

Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 11:00 PM
One of those games the Browns rip the heart out of your chest - because despite preparing yourself for the Browns to be truly woeful .... they come out and have a barnstormer 1st Q and it's the Ravens. So you know - [1] I really want them to beat a division rival [2] you figure there is so much time left in the game you sort of know it'll go to the wire and we stand a good chance of losing even though we are (mentally) 21-0 up... then the returned point after for 2 points just confirms it.

Defense looked great at times - flowing to the ball and getting penetration. Looked soft at times.

Early the offense looked like how I expected them to look last week before an anemic effort vs the Eagles. Was really excited to see what Coleman did ... he looks like a real threat - and the play to get out of bounds at the end was very savvy, and showed that he is strong. The long bomb showed good adjustment and good hands, the CB was well positioned and had arms and hands placed to make it hard for Coleman to hang on.

Sure missed Nassib - I'd like an update. Also on Erving - Have yet to see what the latest is.

On the penalties - Coleman made a bed rookie mistake and he certainly initiated it - and he looks like he was told that in no uncertain terms. I believe he'll learn his lesson. It would be draconian and self defeating to want to punish the guy if he shows true regret and contrition to the coach and team mates. . . . . The CB took a swing right back and connected. He should also have been given a penalty. But thems the breaks.

On the Pryor thing - I have only watched it live and the initial replay. Just like the announcers I think the refs totally blew the call. It wasn't taunting. Pryor looked to me to be in a hurry to flip the ball to the ref or just drop it. . . complete over reaction from the refs. . . if only they had been so zealous when 2 ravens defenders launched themselves at McCown after he game himself up - the second guy ( I think it was Moseley) clearly pulls up and then when he sees his team mate lauching, he too dives like a pile driver into McCown. Simple and dirty play that wasn't called.

I think one of the reasons that we struggled after 1st Q - McCown was clearly in a LOT of pain. Got to love his toughness.... anyone remember the pathetic effort from Jason Campbell when he was supposed to be the veteran on the team?

Still pissed we lost - but hard to be down on this young team showing so much improvement from week 1 to week 2.
Posted By: ErikInHell Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 11:08 PM

I'm not blaming the refs for the loss. I'm blaming the refs for the terrible calls. The Browns lost the game due to not being able to score after the 1st quarter. That stupid taunting call, the questionable catch by perriman, the PI call on Haden, and the complete lack of holding or facemask calls were calls that these refs should have to answer for.
Posted By: rockyhilldawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 11:56 PM
Did Nassib play?

I didn't hear his name even once (and I was listening).
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 11:57 PM
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
Did Nassib play?

He did but got injured.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/18/16 11:57 PM
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
Did Nassib play?

He was injured at some point, but I saw him out there
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 12:01 AM
Now let's talk about Cleveland.

During the fourth quarter of the Browns-Ravens game, Terrelle Pryor was flagged for what might go down as the most ridiculous penalty in NFL history.

After making a catch at the 10-yard line with just 21 seconds left, Pryor ran out of bounds to stop the clock because the Browns, who were trailing 25-20, didn't have any timeouts left. After getting out of bounds, Pryor tossed the ball back to the ref. The only problem for Pryor is that Baltimore's Lardarius Webb was in the way of the toss and the ball hit him, which led to a TAUNTING PENALTY.

The Browns get hosed on a ridiculous taunting penalty against Terrelle Pryor https://t.co/ow39aU4CEVpic.twitter.com/tWgVd8C4bk
— Pedro Espinoza (@pjet1976) September 18, 2016

The Ravens had actually been called for a penalty on the play, so Pryor's penalty offset the Ravens penalty and the Browns had to replay the down. If Pryor hadn't been flagged, the Browns would've been 10-yards away from a potential game-winning touchdown with first-and-goal from the 10. Instead, they had first-and-10 at the Ravens' 30.

In the image below, you can see Pryor tossing the ball to the ref, the toss fell about 8-inches short and hit Webb, who you can barely see in the picture (his head is near Pryor's waist).
terrelle-pryor-browns-09-18-16.png
Should Terrelle Pryor have been flagged for taunting? CBS/NFL

The refs' decision to throw a flag here cost the Browns any realistic shot at a win.

Refs grade: F

Unless the ref is 100 percent of Pryor's intent here, it's absolutely ridiculous to throw a flag in this situation. Life is already miserable enough for Browns' fans, no need to pile on here, refs.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-we...in-browns-game/
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 12:11 AM
The ref is there with outstretched arms.

Absolutely horrendous call which warranted discussion by the two zebras involved.
Posted By: Cjrae Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 01:06 AM
Just got home from the game. I have to say, that Pryor penalty steamed me more than any before....EVER! It happened in front of me and, for the life of me, I cannot figure out what he did. It was an innocent toss of the ball after a successful play at the 10 yard line. Our only thought was that he had said something construed as a taunt.

What a petty, pathetic, disgraceful and incompetent penalty with big time impact on this game.

The late hit on McCown no call was absolutely pathetic!!! Brady would have never experienced that with a non call. Count on it.

Coming back from 20 down, kudos to the Birds.

Our coach was outcoached in the second half and our offensive line leaked like a seive.

McCown played his heart out. Fingers crossed for outcome of his injury.

Defense stepped it up and the run D was much improved.

Nassib went to the locker room and returned with his left arm all blocked up.

Jim Brown statue is awesome. Would post pics from my phone if I knew how.

Lots of down today but I see a ray of sunshine among those clouds that have hovered over First Energy for so long.

Better times are on the horizon dawgs!
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 01:14 AM
Somebody I need to rant about. Tabor is a cockroach who shouldn't be coaching the special Olympics let alone special teams.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 01:16 AM
Originally Posted By: candyman92
Somebody I need to rant about. Tabor is a cockroach who shouldn't be coaching the special Olympics let alone special teams.

yes. st's killed us today
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 01:41 AM

Thanks for talking about this. I didn't see the game and had no idea what happened.
Posted By: ThatGuy Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 01:49 AM
It appears they are away from the ball, and Coleman is just going through the motions of "blocking" when Smith LEADS WITH HIS HEAD into Coleman..

They alays catch the second guy..

Should of been offsetting because even after Smith started it, and Coleman reacted, he then re-reacted..

Childish crap from boh sides.
Posted By: Squires Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 01:53 AM
Same old Browns. Nothing new to see today. I wouldn't feel safe with a 50 point lead.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 01:58 AM
I can't wait for the day where once we get a 20 point lead that means game over. Edit, in a good way meaning we win. tongue
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 02:02 AM
losing cultures find ways to lose. Plain and simple.
Posted By: Goose7 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 02:06 AM
We have good young players, but there is going to be some head banging against the wall plays. Erving isn't good, but I hope he feels alright. The Special Teams is garbage! The kicker makes his kicks and we don't have to worry about garbage calls from the officials. The ST also can't stop returners and we don't have anyone to return punts or kicks. Special teams aren't so special thumbsdown
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 02:12 AM
I would imagine finding a kick\punt returner is not that hard, maybe they just forgot?! Can't we just get Ted Ginn Jr?

Ugh, now I realize how I took for granted the solid special teams we had for like 5+ years with Dawson and Cribbs at the helm. That crap where our field goal or extra point tries get blocked, that stuff has to stop immediately, its just disgusting. If it doesn't we need to say goodbye to Tabor.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 02:33 AM

I have a daughter with Down Syndrome. I despise any rhetoric or joke that involves people with special needs. I don't even care if you meant any harm by it or it was just poor judgment. My only wish is you would have said that in my vicinity.
Posted By: ddubia Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 02:57 AM
I back you up.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 03:19 AM
How did Erving Bruise his lung?
Posted By: GraffZ06 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 03:31 AM
PC Principal agrees with you. Good grief. willynilly
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 03:48 AM
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
How did Erving Bruise his lung?

Whiffed on a block and landed on his chest.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 06:38 AM
Call on Pryor was BS, might have cost us the game.
Coleman showed up, good to see. Mccown has a slower release than you want in a QB.
The run defence wasn't bad today, but we still have issues in coverage and need a more consistent pass rush.
Nice to see improvement over Week 1, let's keep getting better, which is all we can realistically hope for.
If I'm Chris tabor I'm dusting off my resume right now, because I'm close to getting fired.
We can't keep getting our qbs hurt. Any why was there no flag on that play when josh gave himself up? The officials played too big of a role in the outcome.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 06:40 AM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 09:08 AM
Thinking about the special teams yesterday infuriates me. We give up a BLOCKED XP when we're up 20-0 ... and they return it for a TD (Yes, the same exact team that BEAT us that way last season)

And we let Hester (who I was stunned is even playing) hurt us
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 11:05 AM
Unlike others, I don't really see Tabor as the problem. I have noticed that we parted ways w/a lot of our best special team's players. Some of the guys who are taking their place are not nearly as good on special teams. Why Louis is on the coverage unit baffles me. He doesn't like contact. Heck, I can't fathom why he is on the roster, other than he was drafted by this regime.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 11:38 AM
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

Thanks for talking about this. I didn't see the game and had no idea what happened.

They should have let that run 30 seconds longer. The db got in 2 more shots after that.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 11:54 AM
Just clicking

I thought I saw great improvement overall.

Corey Coleman,, what a man. He's young and made a bone headed move but that comes with age.

Pryor was clutch but that taunting penalty was a joke. There is no way to actually know this for sure, but that might have changed the game to the point where we could have won. we were at the 10, with the penalty on the Ravens, maybe the 5 with 21 seconds to go... I think it's a safe bet we'd have scored and thus won. Maybe.

Crowell did a nice job yesterday

Johnson fights for every inch he gets..

Hawkins have a decent day.

Haden was the Haden of old yesterday.. Two picks...

McGown leads. Tough break on the injury.

Thought for a second there that we were going to see Kessler. Might see him next week..

Yes, there were negatives.. I'll leave it to someone else to talk about them.

What I see is a young team that hopefully will mature. We'll see. But I did see improvement in a few areas from week one.

Posted By: waterdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 12:11 PM
Negatives .. Tramon Willams ..
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 12:21 PM
I woke up today and, no idea why either, but I thought firstly about the play when McCown was hurt and they ran that designed Qb run on 3rd and 2 I believe. What a stupid call. You got an old man Qb that already went into the locker room dealing with some issues, and you call that?

Hue Jackson, no idea on that one...
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 12:25 PM
The Browns get hosed on a ridiculous taunting penalty against Terrelle Pryor

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-br...terrelle-pryor/
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 12:32 PM
j/c:

BAL-CLE GRADES: JOSH MCCOWN, JOE HADEN STAND OUT IN LOSS TO RAVENS

Quarterback grade: Josh McCown 80.0

McCown earns highest offensive grade for Browns

The adjectives used to describe Josh McCown’s performance this week will include words like “gutsy” and “tough,” and that’s fair given the fact that he was sacked or knocked down 10 times on 36 dropbacks. He made some big plays while feeling a lot of pressure, producing an NFL quarterback rating of 109.5 on the 12 dropbacks where he was under pressure. It wasn’t a perfect performance by any means, but he made more than his share of big-time throws and gave the Browns a chance in this one.

Top offensive grades

FB Malcolm Johnson, 79.7

RB Isaiah Crowell, 79.2

WR Corey Coleman, 78.6

LT Joe Thomas, 78.5

RT Austin Pasztor, 75.3

Rookie WR Corey Coleman shows off first-round talent

During the pre-draft process, some people questioned if wide receiver Corey Coleman was big enough to be a star receiver in the NFL. On Sunday against the Ravens, he showed that he has all the talent to be a top wideout, flashing some of the skills that saw him become a star at Baylor. As well as the headline-grabbing two touchdown receptions, Coleman forced three missed tackles on five catches, and was a complete nightmare for Baltimore defenders in space, averaging 3.15 yards per route run.

Top defensive grades

CB Joe Haden, 87.5

OLB Nate Orchard, 79.1

DE Tyrone Holmes, 76.4

LB Demario Davis, 75.3

LB Chris Kirksey, 75.0

Joe Haden makes Flacco pay

There was a time when people debated whether or not Joe Haden was among the best cornerbacks in the NFL. Consistency has prevented that from being the case, but he definitely played like a top defender on Sunday. He allowed a touchdown, which somewhat soured his stat line, but ended the day having allowed just four receptions for 57 yards on the nine passes thrown into his coverage. More impressive was the fact that he picked off two passes and broke up another one, helping him to the highest grade of any player in the game.

PFF Game-Ball Winner: Joe Haden, Cornerback, 87.5

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-bal-cle-grades/

Sorta shocked to see Pasztor on the list. I thought the right side was bad in pass pro.
Posted By: sk8termom Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 12:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

I have a daughter with Down Syndrome. I despise any rhetoric or joke that involves people with special needs. I don't even care if you meant any harm by it or it was just poor judgment. My only wish is you would have said that in my vicinity.

Thanks for posting this Rishuz. I completely despise comments like that too.

How old is your daughter? I have 2 children with Special Needs (autism) and they both participate in Special Olympics. I am also a volunteer roller skating coach.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 12:40 PM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

I have noticed every time Pryor made a catch he would be dismissive with the ball afterwards... I thought the actual penalty was going too far, but it didn't surprise me that this eventually happened. I think the refs want the ball tossed or given to them after the plays, not thrown on the ground for them to pick up. IMHO
Posted By: Cjrae Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 01:15 PM
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

I have noticed every time Pryor made a catch he would be dismissive with the ball afterwards... I thought the actual penalty was going too far, but it didn't surprise me that this eventually happened. I think the refs want the ball tossed or given to them after the plays, not thrown on the ground for them to pick up. IMHO

If that's the case, they need to state it. I paid attention to last night's game, players were tossing the ball all the time after catches. I still wonder if he said something considered taunting. Them "posing" commentary is absurd. It happens all the time in the end zone. That penalty was off the ropes ridiculous!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 01:28 PM
according to those grades, not the best day for Joe Thomas. He's usually above that number
Posted By: mac Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 01:33 PM
j/c

Can't find the Coleman/Jimmy Smith dustup anywhere, but here's an article on the taunting flag. Shows what I saw.

Link

The official is the Head Linesman, #106..has been officating a long time according to a story I found, where he is teaching an officiating class..interesting...

link

Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 01:46 PM
The refs should know there is a reason why Pryor is not a QB in the NFL.

He can't even accurately throw the ball back to the ref without it slipping out of his hands.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 02:36 PM
I mean, I can see how a trailing ref would think "that's a punk move" ... but I don't think (even if misunderstood) the action was that egregious

In other words, even IF Pryor intended to taunt, I've seen worse than that not called
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 03:06 PM
I think the NFL trying to put pressure on the refs to call a strict game for our other rivals set the tone of the AFCN games this weekend. The NFL did not want to see any dumb things get blown out of proportion. They did not want to see any more controversies. That's the only way I can understand the penalty on TP... I still have no idea where the Coleman penalty came from though. Surely, if the ref saw Coleman whiff then they saw the Ravens player punch CC after it.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 03:11 PM
It wasn't just the Coleman and Pryor penalties. The Ravens were holding all day. Steve Smith threw several haymakers away from plays in front of refs that weren't called. Several late hits on McCown weren't called.

One is the Browns and one is the Ravens. Pretending favoritism doesn't exist is the same as pretending fans don't influence decisions at the FO and ownership levels.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 03:28 PM

The taunting call was a case of an official going overboard.

Given the totality of the entire situation: the game coming down to the wire etc. There is no way you let a penalty like that change the outcome of a NFL game.

It would be different if the play and player were obvious and that the call was about the play itself. Like an obvious personal foul call or and obvious interference call.

For a ref to effect a game like that on a call like that is just wrong. He should be reprimanded.

Terrible call.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 03:37 PM
Yep, it was a horrible call. That said, if they'd just hand the ball to the ref after the play this crap goes away. We can't control the refs, we can our actions.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 03:41 PM
Agreed 100%. We played our hearts out yesterday never gave up and we end up losing this game to a BS call like that. Granted we made our share of mistakes but that is to be expected with our young team. McCown did have another chance and threw the pick but without that call it could have been different. It seems with the way the ref's call our games we have to be near flawless.
Posted By: clevesteve Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 03:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
McCown did have another chance and threw the pick but without that call it could have been different.
he's got more of a chance to make a 10 yard pass with a broken collarbone than a 28 yard pass with one.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 04:44 PM
Malcolm Johnson has been pretty good through two games. I didn't think there was any chance he was going to be any good ever.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 05:21 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Malcolm Johnson has been pretty good through two games. I didn't think there was any chance he was going to be any good ever.

Yeah I've noticed that too. Did he get hurt yesterday though?
Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 07:21 PM
My thoughts...different year, new FO/coaches ect and..same ol losing results. Some things never change. This team being up by 18 and losing by 5 is the Cleveland Browns way. They have perfected the art of being the best losers.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 07:33 PM
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U
My thoughts...different year, new FO/coaches ect and..same ol losing results. Some things never change. This team being up by 18 and losing by 5 is the Cleveland Browns way. They have perfected the art of being the best losers.

We were up 20.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 07:50 PM
Originally Posted By: WhatCanBrownDo4U

Maybe this time we will learn that constant change isn't the answer and that maybe, just maybe, we should give this staff time to work it out... like more than 2 years...
Posted By: KashDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 09:19 PM

They should have let that run 30 seconds longer. The db got in 2 more shots after that.

The head first shove into Coleman is what stood out to me. The play was over and it was unnecessary, to me that was the first incident.

Coleman shouldn't have responded the way he did, but Smith should have been called for the head first block after the play was over. They should have at least been off-setting penalties IMO.
Posted By: Squires Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 10:13 PM
Agreed 100%. We played our hearts out yesterday never gave up and we end up losing this game to a BS call like that. Granted we made our share of mistakes but that is to be expected with our young team. McCown did have another chance and threw the pick but without that call it could have been different. It seems with the way the ref's call our games we have to be near flawless.

We didn't lose the game because of a bs call, we lost because we gave up 25 unanswered points.
Posted By: Cjrae Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 10:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Squires

We didn't lose the game because of a bs call, we lost because we gave up 25 unanswered points.

That's another way to look at it.

Going for a score from the 30 is quite different than going for the score from the 10. In that respect, fhe BS call did definitely impact the game in a huge way.

Our youth, injured qb, weak O line and some questionable calls aided the situation as well and made the BS call a bit more difficult overcome.

It was a BS call. No question! And it did impact the game.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 10:37 PM
One might argue they went unanswered because of poor officiating.

Josh McCown couldn't afford the metaphorical hand tied behind his back. He was literally down to one without the officials' "assistance."
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 11:00 PM
What bothers me most about the TP call is that the hit Josh McCown took on the ground after giving himself up was an obvious penalty yet was not called.

I think there were way too many bad calls and non calls in this game that went against us. It was very lopsided.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 11:09 PM
i thought there were 2-3 blatant holds by their offensive tackles ... like to the point that I stopped paying attention to the plays
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/19/16 11:47 PM
j/c:

You guys are still whining?
Posted By: Cjrae Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/20/16 12:12 AM
Yep! Just like some of you are still whining about the presidential candidates.

That Pryor call truly pi**ed me off!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/20/16 12:13 AM
I'm whining about the presidential election?
Posted By: kingodawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/20/16 05:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Yep, it was a horrible call. That said, if they'd just hand the ball to the ref after the play this crap goes away. We can't control the refs, we can our actions.
Just a thought. but maybe they should make PFs reviewable
Posted By: kingodawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/20/16 05:32 AM
I'm whining about the presidential election?
yes
Posted By: myka Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/20/16 07:21 AM
Originally Posted By: KashDawg

The head first shove into Coleman is what stood out to me. The play was over and it was unnecessary, to me that was the first incident.

Coleman shouldn't have responded the way he did, but Smith should have been called for the head first block after the play was over. They should have at least been off-setting penalties IMO.

Ty so much for posting that vine.

Wanted to show my brother who missed the game it wasn't just one bad call.

Does anyone have a clip of McCown getting dog piled after sliding? Would much appreciate it
Posted By: rockyhilldawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/20/16 11:42 AM
You realize of course the special teams cost us the game.

If they had not muffed the extra point attempt in the first quarter, the score would have been Ravens ahead 23-21 with the Browns having the ball on the Ravens 30 yard-line with 5 seconds left on the clock.

For a 47 yard game winning field goal as time expired.

It's amazing how close so many of these loses are.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/20/16 12:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Squires

I disagree.. what's the difference if we were up 20 and gave up 25 unanswered or down 25 and scored 20 unanswered in a comeback or if it was a back and forth that was at 25-20 at the time?

In the grand scheme of things, how it came to be 25-20, in that moment, is irrelevant... a bad call that could cost you the game is still a bad call.

I get your sentiment that if you are winning 20-2 in the first quarter, you need to score more points and you need to be able to stop them from running off 23 more points.. You need to be able to put that game away... I get that, that's what good teams do... I also get that there will always be other things you can point to that contributed to a loss beyond one single call...

None of that matters, a bad call is a bad call and it impacts the game... regardless of when it occurs in the game, what the score is at the time, or how the score got to be that way...
Posted By: Cjrae Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/20/16 02:19 PM
The Browns need to understand that they will be on the short end of calls until they rise to a respectable level of play within the NFL.

Until then, every move will be scrutinized and the calls most likely will not go their way.

They would be wise to just play hard, stay within the limits and earn respect.

Not saying the NFL is fixed, but if there is a chance, it even further goes against the Browns.

Last time I will say it but that Pryor call just irritates me to no end!!!!! That ref should be fired for such a blantantly poor call effecting the outcome of this game. Hope they learn from it going forward. They are being watched!
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/20/16 04:50 PM
Quote:
Not saying the NFL is fixed, but if there is a chance, it even further goes against the Browns.

I agree with you. I do not believe it is a conscious decision but if you see a bang bang play, there is this subconscious thing that tells you that the better team, Steelers, Patriots, Seahawks, etc.. were probably in the right, so they will get more calls than not.. and teams like the Browns will often be on the short end of that stick.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/21/16 03:19 AM
You did not answer my question.
Posted By: kingodawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/21/16 03:37 AM
You did not answer my question.
I think he was pretty clear
Posted By: edromeo Re: Post Game Thoughts - 09/21/16 08:48 PM
Very late to the party.

The defense is playing better then most expected it seems.

Shelton is playing well, Haden looks to be rounding into form.
Kirksey and Davis are playing good ball, especially against the run.

Contrary to some opinions expressed I don't think the Safeties are playing poorly. This scheme plays a lot of Cover 1/Cover 3 with a centerfield FS where they are often covering the middle 1/3 of the field deep.
When a CB gets burned to the outside in those coverage calls they don't get Safety help like you would expect in Cover 2 or split Safety coverages.
© DawgTalkers.net