Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
As to the bodycam/video law in NC coming up...

Recently the Gov signed in to law a bill stating that there is no free for for all when it comes to the public demanding and viewing things like body cam footage. If you want to see the footage you have to petition the court and a judge has to issue a court order. Critics immediately contend that it is designed to favor police and prevent transparency and accountability. In reality it is no such thing and it's intent is not to protect police. What it really does is protect the privacy of citizens.

As a cop, you guys may consider me a "public" official and therefor everything I do in that capacity should be instantly and readily available for scrutiny, that MY privacy comes secondary to my "public" role.

And you would be wrong. Personally I don't care if you stand across the street and watch what I'm doing. Film me. Just don't try to distract me or get in the middle of what I'm doing. And if you do put it on YouTube, please edit out any parts where I scratch my ass or pick my nose.

What many people don't realize is, my encounters with people no matter what the situation is, is a very private one. The CITIZENS I deal with are not public officials and DO have a right to have their privacy protected.

Put yourselves in these positions. Not as the cop, but as the citizen:

-It's 3 am and your door bell rings. The officer standing there tells you your kid was killed by a drunk driver.

-Your sister finally called the cops because that boyfriend you know is no good for her beat. You catch up with her at the hospital while she's giving her statement and the cop is taking pictures of her black eye and split lip.

-You've been depressed and feeling suicidal. Or maybe you've been feeling better, more normal and stopped taking your bipolar/schizo medication. Now it's caught up to you and you're having a crisis.

-You're drunk leaving the stadium and pee on some bushes.

-You've just been in a car wreck and you aren't going to make it.

-Hell, you report a burglary. Do you want the inside of your house made public?

Would you want the world to see YOU if you were experiencing these things? Would you want the world to see your loved ones last moments of life?

There are plenty of people advocating for constant, free and unfettered access to bodycam footage. They say it's in the name of transparency,but what it really is, it's a sick level of voyeurism. If you go with that standard
I garuntee you there will be websites set up where the developer puts in a standard and continual request for videos and then broadcasts them 24/7.

This law protects the privacy of citizens more than anything else. And because of that I think it is a good law.

Part of that law also says that if you are on that recording, you can petition the department who has it to view it and they must make arrangements to do so within 3 days. It is a private viewing and you are not given a copy to take with you (to my knowledge).

Just a warning though, even video footage requires the proper context.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
Murder is intentionally killing another person, usually with malicious intent, or in the commission of a crime.

Manslaughter is unintentional, but not excusable, or justifiable given the circumstances.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
1st degree manslaughter and 1st degree murder are not the same here and it is as you described it. A jury can find someone guilty of a lesser offense. The minimum sentence she'll be facing if convicted is 4 years.

It is a little odd the DA charged her yesterday since the report from the police hasn't come out yet and isn't expected out until today. From what I've seen, I agree with the charge, it just seems like he's rushing things not waiting for the police report.

Now she'll have her day in court where a jury will decide her guilt or innocence based on the facts presented. Then the family of the victim has to come out yesterday after the announcement of her arrest saying that justice will only be served with a conviction. There is still a presumption of innocence in this country, at least there should be.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
As to the bodycam/video law in NC coming up...

Recently the Gov signed in to law a bill stating that there is no free for for all when it comes to the public demanding and viewing things like body cam footage. If you want to see the footage you have to petition the court and a judge has to issue a court order. Critics immediately contend that it is designed to favor police and prevent transparency and accountability. In reality it is no such thing and it's intent is not to protect police. What it really does is protect the privacy of citizens.

As a cop, you guys may consider me a "public" official and therefor everything I do in that capacity should be instantly and readily available for scrutiny, that MY privacy comes secondary to my "public" role.

And you would be wrong. Personally I don't care if you stand across the street and watch what I'm doing. Film me. Just don't try to distract me or get in the middle of what I'm doing. And if you do put it on YouTube, please edit out any parts where I scratch my ass or pick my nose.

What many people don't realize is, my encounters with people no matter what the situation is, is a very private one. The CITIZENS I deal with are not public officials and DO have a right to have their privacy protected.

Put yourselves in these positions. Not as the cop, but as the citizen:

-It's 3 am and your door bell rings. The officer standing there tells you your kid was killed by a drunk driver.

-Your sister finally called the cops because that boyfriend you know is no good for her beat. You catch up with her at the hospital while she's giving her statement and the cop is taking pictures of her black eye and split lip.

-You've been depressed and feeling suicidal. Or maybe you've been feeling better, more normal and stopped taking your bipolar/schizo medication. Now it's caught up to you and you're having a crisis.

-You're drunk leaving the stadium and pee on some bushes.

-You've just been in a car wreck and you aren't going to make it.

-Hell, you report a burglary. Do you want the inside of your house made public?

Would you want the world to see YOU if you were experiencing these things? Would you want the world to see your loved ones last moments of life?

There are plenty of people advocating for constant, free and unfettered access to bodycam footage. They say it's in the name of transparency,but what it really is, it's a sick level of voyeurism. If you go with that standard
I garuntee you there will be websites set up where the developer puts in a standard and continual request for videos and then broadcasts them 24/7.

This law protects the privacy of citizens more than anything else. And because of that I think it is a good law.

Part of that law also says that if you are on that recording, you can petition the department who has it to view it and they must make arrangements to do so within 3 days. It is a private viewing and you are not given a copy to take with you (to my knowledge).

Just a warning though, even video footage requires the proper context.

I agree with everything you said, but this week wasn't the time to enact this bill.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
The family in Charlotte released a cell phone video. The police have not released yet.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/char...e-keith-n653426

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I agree with everything you said, but this week wasn't the time to enact this bill.

It was signed in July, to take effect on October 1.

yebat' Putin
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: northlima dawg
The family in Charlotte released a cell phone video. The police have not released yet.

Saw it. Just curious when the wife kept saying, don't do it Keith, Keith don't do it. Wonder what she meant? Still doesn't show the actual event. It is simply an emotionally filled video. Her angle does not show the event. Hope the police have one that does.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Cjrae

Saw it. Just curious when the wife kept saying, don't do it Keith, Keith don't do it. Wonder what she meant? Still doesn't show the actual event. It is simply an emotionally filled video. Her angle does not show the event. Hope the police have one that does.

No one should have to go through that.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Vambo

Yes, I agree. I am just curious as to what she meant. Makes good sense

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yes, I agree. I am just curious as to what she meant. Makes good sense

I don't know so many unknowns and so many questions a lot of finger pointing.

The video makes for more questions than it gives answers.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

It was signed in July, to take effect on October 1.

When 40 posted this: "North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory signed legislation this week that blocks the release of law enforcement recordings from body cameras or dashboard cameras with limited exceptions." I didn't notice the July 13th date at the top. I thought it was current.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Apology accepted. thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Google this...

This Is Why Police Don't Let You Go Back To Your Car

has language you can't post here but here's the back story.

Brannan, 66, lost his temper with Laurens County Sheriff Deputy Kyle Dinkheller, on Jan. 12, 1998, after driving 100 mph on a country road and getting pulled over by the officer. Brannan left his vehicle and sarcastically prodded Dinkheller to shoot him, screamed that he was a “[censored] Vietnam combat veteran,” and then retrieved a rifle from his pickup truck, according to a police cruiser dashboard camera video later released. The two men exchanged shots, with Brannan suffering one gunshot wound to the abdomen and Dinkheller getting hit nine times. The graphic video shows Dinkheller, a Laurens County deputy, screaming in terror and pain as Brannan closes in on him and kills him at point-blank range after reloading. It is now used in police training across the country.

Moxdawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I was thinking today that I can't imagine why anyone would want to be a cop now days.. Can't do your job which is ridiculous

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
You can do your job as a cop. Just don't shoot to kill with unarmed individuals

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist

Just curious is the any of these where the person shot obeys and does what the police instruct them to do or do they all resist instructions?

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Resisting=no good.

Shooting unarmed individuals who are resisting with no weapons shouldn't equal shoot to kill. I'm quite sure SOP says subdue with non-lethal force.

Legend
Legend
Resisting=no good.

Shooting unarmed individuals who are resisting with no weapons shouldn't equal shoot to kill. I'm quite sure SOP says subdue with non-lethal force.

In GMs world if you resist you deserve to be killed for it.

Legend
Legend

However, in this case, the man who was shot and killed reportedly had a gun, and refused to obey Police instructions. The gun reportedly has the dead man's fingerprints, DNA, and blood on it.

I can understand that his wife was absolutely distraught. There can be few things as painful as seeing a loved one being shot in front of you. Watching the video that the wife released, and hearing her continuing to call out to him "Don't do it", as the Police told him drop the weapon.

The wife yelling that he didn't have a gun means nothing. Her implication that the Police should have done nothing is meaningless. I hate to go all or nothing on this, but when a Police officer sees an active threat, it doesn't matter what a bystander is yelling.

I think that it is horrible that this man apparently had mental health issues, and that this situation came this unfortunate end. I hope that we can find a way to offer our veterans better access to mental health help. A young lady in my church is engaged to a young man who served in Iraq, and who has had significant difficulties in dealing with PTSD. I know, from talking to both of them, what he has been dealing with.

I do hope that all people will take a moment and consider the best way to interact with Police should a situation ever arise where they are forced to do so. I am White, yet if I am pulled over, I do all of the things that some have said they have been told to do. I roll down my window, turn on the inside window if it is dark, put both hands on the top of the steering wheel, and sit while waiting instructions from the officer. If I have to get anything out of the glove box, I ask if it is OK do do so. I obey what the officer orders.

One thing that no one can debate is that this man did not follow Police instructions. If he had, would he still be alive? I think that he certainly would have a much better chance of being alive if he had.

This is a really sad situation.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: candyman92
Resisting=no good.

In GM's world, if you don't resist, you live to see the courtroom.

Hey, I got popped for a dui some 23 years ago. I didn't run, I didn't sass, I didn't argue. Cop even took me home after, because I couldn't get a hold of anyone to pick me up at the station.

Imagine that. 1 minute I'm cuffed and stuffed. 45 minutes later, I'm sitting in the front seat of the cop car (Ohio State Patrol) as he's giving me a ride home, and telling me how to beat the charge.

Damn......no guns involved.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'm still waiting for the whole story in Charlotte. Sorry, thought we were still talking about Oklahoma as the topic states.

The Charlotte thing? Look at the evidence first. Rioting will never end up as justified in my book.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Don't you find it bad that a man in Oklahoma got gunned down who was unarmed?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Resisting=no good.

If they resist instructions how can the police know for sure they are unarmed?

Just because their hands are showing doesn't mean they have no weapon if you have nothing to hide you follow instructions = ALIVE. BLM made it worse calling to kill whites.

Killing is bad but there are ways to help yourself stay alive following police instruction is one of them.

A
Legend
Legend
A

Absolutely. If I implied otherwise, I didn't mean to.

The cop has been charged. Justice will prevail - we hope, once all the facts are known. The lady has been charged, arrested, booked, etc.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Wasn't he suspected to be on PCP? They said they found some in his SUV.

Legend
Legend
Sorry. I was thinking about the other shooting.

Man, we have these shootings, and let's be honest, most turn out to be justified. However, we add body cams to police officers' uniforms, and they get turned off, or are inconclusive. We have cameras inside Police cruisers, and they do no good as far as providing insight into what happened.

I really don't know where to go next, as far as that end of things is concerned.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Shouldnt be killing anyone who isnt waving a gun around. They can subdue them in other ways. I feel like this is either a training or policy problem.

No Craps Given
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Yeah, I read about that.

Just don't like this idea that people are sort of pushing that "it's okay he was shot because he was on hard drugs.".

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah, I read about that.

Just don't like this idea that people are sort of pushing that "it's okay he was shot because he was on hard drugs.".

I don't think people are saying it's OK he was shot but he didn't help his cause any.

Have you ever tried to reason with a person on PCP?

You can't they don't think normally and feel invincible, they don't feel pain so that could be why the taser had no effect. I'm just saying you exponentially increase your chances of being shot by not following instructions.

Especially in these times of high distrust and anxiety why not follow instruction? Why resist? Doesn't make sense. Killing is wrong protect yourself be smart. What do you have to lose by following instructions?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Shouldnt be killing anyone who isnt waving a gun around. They can subdue them in other ways. I feel like this is either a training or policy problem.

If he was truly on PCP and his size compared to the female officer and the taser had no effect and he was going to his SUV not knowing 100% at the time there was no weapon on him or in his SUV what would you have done? Your life is on the line police have been targeted.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Does a woman, one who ends up getting intoxicated while wearing revealing clothing, deserve to get raped at a party?

You'll say "what does rape have to do with this?", but I've read similar comments about hand waving with women getting raped.
-----------------------------------

Regardless of the action of the suspect, he was unarmed. The officer should have acted with non-lethal force. Common sense. I wouldn't shoot an unarmed individual, and especially one who kept his hands up.

Last edited by RocketOptimist; 09/24/16 01:09 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Does a woman, one who ends up getting intoxicated while wearing revealing clothing, deserve to get raped at a party?

You'll say "what does rape have to do with this?", but I've read similar comments about hand waving with women getting raped.

Yeah you lost me here I have seen nothing about hand waving and rape, did a woman get drunk resist police instructions had her hands waving in the air and the police raped her?

-----------------------------------

Regardless of the action of the suspect, he was unarmed. The officer should have acted with non-lethal force. Common sense. I wouldn't shoot an unarmed individual, and especially one who kept his hands up. [/quote]

Legend
Legend

If he was truly on PCP and his size compared to the female officer and the taser had no effect and he was going to his SUV not knowing 100% at the time there was no weapon on him or in his SUV what would you have done? Your life is on the line police have been targeted.

If they don't find PCP in his system with the toxicology report, finding PCP in his car means nothing. They didn't find it until after the shooting. So it will have no baring on her state of mind, which is going to be a central factor as to whether this shooting was justified. Her claim of fearing for her life is going to be based solely on what she knew at the time she pulled the trigger. If they find PCP in his body in the toxicology report, her expertise as a drug recognition expert is going to come into play, but if he's clean, she'll probably lose.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

If they don't find PCP in his system with the toxicology report, finding PCP in his car means nothing. They didn't find it until after the shooting. So it will have no baring on her state of mind, which is going to be a central factor as to whether this shooting was justified. Her claim of fearing for her life is going to be based solely on what she knew at the time she pulled the trigger. If they find PCP in his body in the toxicology report, her expertise as a drug recognition expert is going to come into play, but if he's clean, she'll probably lose.

There are no winners. After 9 + years and no other known incidents I don't see an intentional shooting for no reason doesn't make sense.

Legend
Legend

There are no winners. After 9 + years and no other known incidents I don't see an intentional shooting for no reason doesn't make sense.

The DA doesn't agree with you.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

FYI

Eve worked in the FBI. She knows this stuff better than most.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The DA doesn't agree with you.

They are the ones who have all the information, I'm just going by what I have read and seen on video.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

FYI

Eve worked in the FBI. She knows this stuff better than most.

I have learned something new then.

Moxdawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker

This is your basic Leftist comment.. You make it so Black and White.. When the individual is not being cooperative and starts to reach for something the split second to 100% be sure the individual has a gun can mean the difference in like or death of the cop.. Then on top of that if it is a gun you better make sure it's not a BB gun because them the cop gets dragged through the mud for not knowing the difference..
Here's a simpler solution.. Do what you're told when you're pulled over and be respectful and you'll go home to your family.

I wish someone like you could be put out on the streets for 1 week in some of these areas these cops have to go and have to face some of the things they have to face.

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Moxdawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Resisting=no good.

And I 100% agree with what GM said...
The way you just wrote it sounds a lot different then when GM said it..

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Oklahoma cop shoots unarmed black man

Link Copied to Clipboard