Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
That is a fair explanation. And you did it w/out insulting anyone. Imagine?????

I used to coach and I think that if that was his intention, it was a very risky move. I don't believe it is a good idea to freak out and quit doing your job during a game.

I have no problem w/him flipping out and laying into his team. I just think he should have waited until after the game and ripped them a new one in the locker room.

The team is 0 and 7. I have always maintained [as a coach] that you need to have some success when you are asking guys to buy into working harder, making sacrifices, putting in extra time, putting the team first, etc, etc. Outworking your opponent loses its luster when you aren't winning any games.

Furthermore, freaking out and not living up to your self-appointed duties as a head coach during the game and then asking for guys to maintain their poise when things gets tough might ring a little hollow, especially when the team hasn't even won a game yet.

I am not saying I am right and that guys like you and Diam are wrong. It's just something to consider and I don't think my argument is whacked .........and I sure as hell don't feel that posters like Memphis and Deputy need to mock me for that opinion.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
How so?

How isn't it?

You have video of a guy taking his headset off; you know nothing of the particulars behind it and what all was going on within the staff, nor what the actual reasoning/motivation was.

That's it - that's all there is...... and so we now get a molehill-to-mountains article titled "Did Hue Quit on his Team?".

Folks gotta engage their hyperbole filters.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Very silly thread. He let Pep call plays while he ripped his defense. He didn't quit. IMO this is when he actually started coaching not quiting. Not once did I ever think he quit.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont think you are wrong, I just think that Hue lied about some of his reasoning and didnt want to throw certain people cough cough (Horton) under the bus but yea he was irrate but he never stopped talkign to the players.

His comments however leads to exactly what you stated however. Hue really has to be careful in the next couple of weeks. He didnt quit on his team but his comments can lead the team to believe that he did, if that makes sense.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
How so?

How isn't it?

You have video of a guy taking his headset off; you know nothing of the particulars behind it and what all was going on within the staff, nor what the actual reasoning/motivation was.

That's it - that's all there is...... and so we now get a molehill-to-mountains article titled "Did Hue Quit on his Team?".

Folks gotta engage their hyperbole filters.

Did you miss this part?

Quote:
Offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton took over the play-calling duties for the final 5:02 in the game after Jackson called a timeout and ripped his team.

The final 5:02 of the game. Man, I don't think anyone is engaging in hyperbole. It's right there for all to see. This wasn't for one or two plays. It was for the final 5:02 of the game.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:
Very silly thread.

Yeah, it's not nearly as deep as those threads like "Countdown to Kickoff" and "Who's Going?"

Legend
Legend
Horton probabaly caught that ass chewing after the game.

But during the game, I agree with hue on ripping the defense a new one. Only 2 people looked like they showed up to play.

Last edited by Swish; 10/24/16 02:44 PM.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Swish
Kirksey doesn't get enough credit. This is his first year as the guy, and he's playing with another player that was suppose to be a good pickup in Davis.

Right now, in my opinion, kirksey is outplaying Davis. Kirksey whiffs on some tackles, but he takes risk and tries to be aggressive.

Him, ogbah, and Shelton are two guys I would absolutely keep on defense.

Everybody else can get cut/traded/whatever. I won't care.

Kirksey is clearly outplaying Davis so far, in my opinion and has been a bright spot on this defense.

It was funny reading when people thought he should only play special teams.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Never pass up an opportunity to be classless.

But yeah........our defense is awesome. How dare anyone question the talent on that unit?

In fact, they are sooooooooooo good that the coach quit calling plays so he could rip them a new one.

Now, that's funny!!! rofl

M
Legend
Legend
M
You sure are wrong a lot. No our defense isn't good. What does that have to do with pointing out a bright spot in it?

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Never pass up an opportunity to be classless.

But yeah........our defense is awesome. How dare anyone question the talent on that unit?

In fact, they are sooooooooooo good that the coach quit calling plays so he could rip them a new one.

Now, that's funny!!! rofl

Pot meet kettle.

Unless you are claiming that you are "someone looking for it" you can't possibly be insulted by my post.

Unless of course you were looking for that.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Meh. i did this once in Little League.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Meh. i did this once in Little League.

You're intense bro

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I don't know how anyone could come up with him quitting on his team...

You must be new here. tongue

Hue has been coaching by the numbers all year, saying all the right things in interviews, etc and getting no results, he tried something different to get some folks attention.. good for him.

yebat' Putin
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
... and today he was adamant that we are not trading Joe (a signal to the team we are not quitting).

These guys are on to fitz and the jets - if we can keep them under 28 this could be our first win.

By the 5 minute mark we knew what was in Hogans bag (so did cincy) it's not like Hues calls would have been any different than peps and the call didn't seem to matter when it was either zone read or pressure before anything else could develop.

Hue stomped them - let's see if we get anything out of it v NYJ, we need it.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
I can't defend a coach taking off his headset and refusing to call plays during a game.

Nope, not at all!

I can't even come close to interpreting it this way. Bailing or giving up doesn't pop into my mind at all.

At this point in the season, with this record, with this bare-bones, barely talented roster, I think Hue can afford to step aside and get hands on with the unit not on the field.

If were were playoff bound and facing our first loss of the season, I might be baffled and disappointed in the decision.

Legend
Legend
Is that the long way of saying that you can't find an example of guys like Parcells and Jimmy Johnson doing the same thing? LOL

In Parcells own words

Quote from Parcells himself
There's a line, players usually don't cross it and coaches usually don't cross it. Every once in a while you get a little temper tantrum on both sides, I certainly have had 'em. I'm not proud of those.

Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/bill_parcells_3.html

I think confrontation is healthy, because it clears the air very quickly.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/bill_parcells.html

The only players I hurt with my words are the ones who have an inflated opinion of their ability. I can't worry about that.

Nowadays, if you are afraid of confrontation, you are not going to do very well.

If you're sensitive, you will have a hard time with me.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/bill_parcells_2.html

I'll call somebody 'dumb' or 'stupid' if they make a dumb or stupid play. I don't know any other word for it, and if they don't like the word, that's too bad.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/bill_parcells_2.html

And last but not least:

Something goes wrong, I yell at them -'Fix it'- whether it's their fault or not. You can only really yell at the players you trust.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/b/billparcel116637.html

Now please quit tilting at windmills.. If you've watched their games at all, you know that both Parcells and Johnson have gone off the rails from time to time.

They didn't make a habit of it, but they did it.

You would have had to spend the 80's and 90's living under a rock not to see it if you watched their games.

Now that I disagreed with you, you will do one of three things:
A: Fire back with a perfectly silly statment

B: Post a mime that says something you think is clever

C: and this is the one I hope you chose, you'll say,, Ok,, Got it.

Oh wait, there is one more:

D: You'll say the quotes don't mean anything.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns coach Hue Jackson explains why he stopped calling plays with five minutes left

The Browns coach took off his headset and handed off play-calling duties.

By Cameron DaSilva
Oct 24, 2016 at 12:20p ET

There is no longer an unbeaten team in the NFL after the Philadelphia Eagles ended the Minnesota Vikings’ perfect start, but there is still one team without a victory this season.

The Cleveland Browns, sitting at 0-7, have yet to win a single game in 2016. They’ve dealt with numerous injuries at quarterback, a troubled wide receiver in Josh Gordon and a secondary that’s been depleted and retooled of late. Their disastrous (yet, somewhat expected) start to the season has led to understandable frustration, particularly on the part of head coach Hue Jackson.

Sunday’s loss to the Bengals -- Jackson's old team -- was a perfect representation of his dissatisfaction through seven weeks. With about five minutes left in the game, Jackson ditched his headset and handed play-calling duties to assistant coach Pep Hamilton. He later called out his team, too.

"Yeah, I took them off,'' he said, via Cleveland.com. "I called the team out. Yeah, I was disappointed because I don't want anybody running the ball like that on us. We've got to get some things squared away, but I take responsibility for it all.”

Jackson gave up on the Browns as they were being gashed for 559 yards, which is the most by Cleveland since 2008. He was tired of seeing his defense get run over by the Bengals and watching the offense sputter with its fifth different quarterback under center.

He attempted to explain his reasoning for essentially quitting on the team early, though he denied that’s what he did.

"I don't like losing, and I can get just like anybody else,'' he said. "I can get disappointed and upset just like anybody else. Because I took them off, I knew exactly everything that was going on. I can hear. It wasn't like I wasn't involved in the game, but I did.''

Jackson was fed up with his team’s performance and figured the game was out of reach. While he declares he wasn’t out of the game completely, surrendering play-calling in the fourth quarter sure seems like a sign of giving up.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Deepsouthdawg
Very silly thread. He let Pep call plays while he ripped his defense. He didn't quit. IMO this is when he actually started coaching not quiting. Not once did I ever think he quit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hue's headset is almost certainly the one that is in the QB's helmet, isn't it?

It would be hard to he in the QB's ear, calling plays, while also putting your foot up the defense's collective butt. I think that a good head coach prioritizes where he needs to be at any particular moment, and in this case, he felt that his defense needed his attention. That meant that he had to lose the headset.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not nearly as ticked about the headset thing (and yes the team needed some chewing!) as I about is dumb game decisions. I'm starting to worry that the guy may never become more than a good offensive coordinator, but I do think it's too early to tell.

Congratulations to our 2016 NBA Champion CLEVELAND CAVALIERS!!! Greatest comeback in sports history... Hail to the King!

The great QB guru and the Moneyball group: 1-15
Record of Criminal Haslam owned Browns: 20-60 (0.250)
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
What do those quotes have to do w/refusing to carry out your responsibilities as a HC?

But yeah, attack another poster because he disagrees w/you.

It's a damn personality contest around here w/very little meaningful dialogue.

Rookie
Rookie
Great point lampdogg, my take as well. I think Hue has such a burning desire to turn this sorry franchise around , that he was just pissed and had all he could stomach at that point, I certainly don't blame his response.

LETS GET THIS RIGHT FELLAS...ENOUGH LOSING IS ENOUGH!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not a big deal to me. An OC calling plays shouldn't be a big deal. Doesn't Horton call plays from the booth? If the defense needs "talked" to who is supposed to do it?

I'm not sure that Hogan even has our play book down yet. Maybe Pep was giving Stanford plays a go.

Quitting on the team would be whipping out his cell phone and texting Haslam that he can take his pay check and shove it some place unpleasant while the game was still going.

Sadly, that sounds like something that could actually happen with the Browns.

I'm not sure we even had 5 healthy OL by that point in the game. Man, our team is a merry (or not so merry) band of misfits with all the injuries.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I watched his presser earlier today and he said he took his head seat off because it was hot...and the sun was shinning on his ears...lmao !

I don't put nothing into this season....not worth raising my blood pressure over.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:
He attempted to explain his reasoning for essentially quitting on the team early, though he denied that’s what he did.

"I don't like losing, and I can get just like anybody else,'' he said. "I can get disappointed and upset just like anybody else. Because I took them off, I knew exactly everything that was going on. I can hear. It wasn't like I wasn't involved in the game, but I did.''

Jackson was fed up with his team’s performance and figured the game was out of reach. While he declares he wasn’t out of the game completely, surrendering play-calling in the fourth quarter sure seems like a sign of giving up.

But yeah, it's just me and questioning it is just silly.

Btw...........When the majority of you are calling for his head, it will be me defending him. We've seen that movie before.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

No, Hue did not quit on his team by removing the headset. Hue was upset with his defense's performance and called time out to make a point to his defensive players.

...the outcome of the game was not in doubt when Hue removed his headset.

Last edited by mac; 10/24/16 06:14 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
He made a point for the final 5:02 of the game? And you do realize that there are stoppages in play, right? How long do you think that 5:02 really lasted? Seriously?

He got pissed, threw a fit, and quit.

Not a good look.

I like Hue, but he is going to have to make amends w/the guys in that locker room. Poise, discipline, never giving up, accountability, self-sacrifice, perseverance, etc are real things in football.

Legend
Legend
These actions are but one sentence in his epitaph as an NFL head coach. Every game day his every action will be recorded to tell his story. It's up to him how he wants it to read.

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I agree. He made a mistake and will need to make amends w/the team.

And again..........I like Hue and hope he gets 3-4 years to prove himself. The record for this year and next year should not be a reason for firing him. The team is devoid of talent. Give him time, but you just can't lose it DURING a game like that. Read them the riot act AFTER the game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[quote]

Dang. Not a good look.

I get the agenda angle,

And if I am projecting correctly, the Smack Shack is the best fit.

Last edited by Vambo; 10/24/16 07:16 PM.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
You had to edit that masterpiece?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You had to edit that masterpiece?

Yeah the original quote was a PIECE just not a masterpiece! thumbsup

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
LOL

Legend
Legend
Could care less about this.

As a player, I wouldn't see it as quitting. I'd see it as I need to get better to make my coach proud.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I played and coached. Did you?

Legend
Legend
I played. And I don't see it as him quitting.

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Okay.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
I played. And I don't see it as him quitting.

Does checkers really count?

Lol

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Chess does too!!!

- Theodore Roosevelt
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 17 Bengals 31 Did Hue Quit on His Team?

Link Copied to Clipboard