Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
Chess only works if you're the Broncos. A horse's head and not a horse's... Well you know what I mean. oh it's the donks, they can be a horse's...too.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I can't defend a coach taking off his headset and refusing to call plays during a game.

Nope, not at all!

I disagree somewhat... If hue is that pissed that he ripped into the players and then basically said screw you guys I'm done that would get my attention...

I actually had a coach do something similar when I was I high school and it was extremely impactful and a moment I've never forgotten... I don't see it as quitting so much as sending a message... Also gives a chance for someone else to call plays to finish out the game... It was obvious we weren't winning so why not let someone else call...

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I played and coached. Did you?

I played at a D2 college level and I have seen way worse. I have had coaches chew us out and tell us he cant stand to look at our faces because we were screwing up. And the DC would come over and take over the huddle. If the players respected the coach that hurt to think you were letting coach down.

I coaching interned basketball at a D1 college and saw worse. I remember a couple times when Coach was steamed and one of the assistant coaches ran the huddle during timeouts or handled the chalk talk in the locker room at half time.

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
He should of waited till we weren't on offense to yell at the defense........

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Again, he took the headset, the one that he communicates with the QB through, and gave it to Hamilton, so he could go give the defense a piece of his mind.

While he was talking to the defense, he could not also call the plays. Sometimes a head coach has to handle different parts of the team, and *ahem* conversing with the defense means that the offense was on the field, thus he could not call the plays and talk to the defense at the same time.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
It's amazing that almost every single person is defending what Hue did.

Look, I am NOT calling for Hue to be fired. I hope he gets 3-4 years no matter what the record is. Is that clear?

There was 5:02 left on the game clock. This question will probably not be answered, but how long do you think that was in real time? 10 min? 15 min? 20 min? My guess is around 15 min. Are you guys telling me he chewed-out the defense for that long?

Sorry, he quit on the team because he was pissed off.

He might be okay w/you guys, but I guarantee you that he is going to have to re-build the trust factor and the accountability factor w/at least some of his players, and maybe even some of his coaches.

Legend
Legend
or maybe his players got the message loud and clear about what happened on the sideline. as well as the coaches.

so i dunno how you can sit here and guarantee something based on pure speculation on a sideline you weren't apart of.

Last edited by Swish; 10/25/16 07:57 AM.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I figured that you wouldn't answer the question.

Legend
Legend
Question: Did Hue quit on his team

Answer: NO

Now I have some questions you might really want to think about.

How much of the offense does Hogan know? How much of the offense does Jackson know that Hogan knows? How much more info would Pep have about both of those questions than we as fans know? Would it help the team to Have Hue calling plays that Hogan did not know how to run, or was not comfortable with, or would it make more sense for Pep who was more on the same page as Hogan to send in plays he knew Hogan had down pat?

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
What do those quotes have to do w/refusing to carry out your responsibilities as a HC?

But yeah, attack another poster because he disagrees w/you.

It's a damn personality contest around here w/very little meaningful dialogue.

You are fairly predictable. Option D it is. rofl

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:
One thing that could help ... no one seems to be talking about it but yesterday I could have sworn I saw Coleman out there ... did he play? .. if so, i'm not sure its possible for him NOT TO be an upgrade to Pastor ...

Coleman did play some RT Sunday, and yes it was possible for him to play worse than Pastor banghead

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
What do those quotes have to do w/refusing to carry out your responsibilities as a HC?

Hilarious.

I know reading is hard for you, but let me try again.

I NEVER disputed that Parcells was hard on his players. [Can you understand that one?]

I NEVER said it was a bad thing that Hue chewed out his players. [Can you understand that one.]

I did ask if YTown had a link for either Parcells or Jimmy Johnson ever taking off their headsets--and leaving them off DURING a game. [Still w/me, or is that too much info at once?]

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Question: Did Hue quit on his team

Answer: NO

Now I have some questions you might really want to think about.

How much of the offense does Hogan know? How much of the offense does Jackson know that Hogan knows? How much more info would Pep have about both of those questions than we as fans know? Would it help the team to Have Hue calling plays that Hogan did not know how to run, or was not comfortable with, or would it make more sense for Pep who was more on the same page as Hogan to send in plays he knew Hogan had down pat?

GM, my question was how much real did the 5:02 turn out to be. I'm guessing around 15 min. I then asked if Hue chewed out the defense for that entire time.

But, I will answer your questions. I don't run and hide or need the gang mentality to talk football.

Sheesh, your formatting is annoying...LOL

Quote:
How much of the offense does Hogan know?
I would imagine very little. The playbook for him was very limited.

How much of the offense does Jackson know that Hogan knows?
I don't get that question. Hogan has been here awhile. He has a playbook.

How much more info would Pep have about both of those questions than we as fans know?
An infinite amount.

Would it help the team to Have Hue calling plays that Hogan did not know how to run, or was not comfortable with, or would it make more sense for Pep who was more on the same page as Hogan to send in plays he knew Hogan had down pat?
I need to ask a question to answer your question. Are you suggesting they started running plays from when both were at Stanford? I don't believe that is the case. I think that is beyond far-fetched. I think Hue and Pep both know the playbook and were both limited to the handfull of plays that Hogan has practiced.

Now, it's my turn. Will you answer the questions that I posed at the top of this post?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Because this apparently bears repeating... I'll even make it easy for you... you only have to pay attention t o the red words...

Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I thought it was out of character, at least based on how he's acted thus far. He seems to be loyal and hardworking, regardless of how you feel about his decisions.

All coaches get frustrated and try different ways to motivate ... not sure if this was the case here.

I don't think he should do that though IMO.

"But clearly, the defense is in rough shape and will be the toughest thing to overcome as they seek their first victory of the season. The players seemed to almost universally accept their coach’s symbolic display of anger and know it’s not a sign of Jackson quitting, but rather an attempt at motivation.
"

As long as the players understand what and why he did it (and it has the desired effect), how it looks to anyone else is 100% irrelevant.

Non-story, non-issue.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:
Non-story, non-issue.

Then, why are you responding to it? Do we all have to think alike? Do we need to beat down any type of opposing opinion?

Legend
Legend
His reason for responding to it is the same as your reasoning for starting this thread.

Because he can.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
Side Note: The article posted and what the thread ended up being titled is a prime example of what is wrong with journalism today--"writers" attempt to do this all the time. They try to project an agenda through the title of a piece and manufacture a story essentially out of thin air by twisting the meat of the original piece, or quotes, or imply something that just isn't there. The teenagers eat this type of stuff up all the time.

It's too bad, really.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
This just in: He is human. Lost his cool and I can't condone it. But I understand it. I saw it like a basketball coach forcing a technical to wake guys up. Just unacceptable.
Didn't quit on the team, but defensive unit and DC need a shakeup call. Long overdue.
This didn't just pop up yesterday. Would you say we are better or worse than before earlier in the season? I think his uphill fight has seen unholy complications. This team would measure any coach. Still bad move IMO, but he needs to get on this hard.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Hilarious.

I know reading is hard for you, but let me try again.

I NEVER disputed that Parcells was hard on his players. [Can you understand that one?]

I NEVER said it was a bad thing that Hue chewed out his players. [Can you understand that one.]

I did ask if YTown had a link for either Parcells or Jimmy Johnson ever taking off their headsets--and leaving them off DURING a game. [Still w/me, or is that too much info at once?]

Here is the exact exchange you refer too:

Quote:
Quote:
I could see Parcells, or Jimmy Johnson, or number of other old school coaches, doing something similar if one unit had played such an incompetent game.

Quote:
Do you have any links where these guys actually did that?
[/quote]

That right there is the proof that you questioned Johnson and Parcells... NOTE: you never said a damn word about proving someone took off headsets... NOT ONCE.

Calling for a link is the same as saying, prove it.

Last edited by Damanshot; 10/25/16 09:24 AM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I see coach who is finally passionate about coaching this team and people think that is quitting?! He saw them laying down on the job and accepting losing so he got in thier faces and gave them an attitude correctment. Pep is more than qualified to call plays if some of you have forgotten that.

I think Hue did the right thing by giving the defense the full weight of his anger and disgust. So many times in the past I wish we had a coach with even half that passion. GO GET THEM COACH!!!

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
GM, my question was how much real did the 5:02 turn out to be. I'm guessing around 15 min. I then asked if Hue chewed out the defense for that entire time.

Nope he didn't chew them out the entire time.

Quote:
Sheesh, your formatting is annoying...LOL

You should see the formatting in my brain since the strokes eek

Quote:
How much of the offense does Hogan know?
I would imagine very little. The playbook for him was very limited.

Agreed

Quote:
How much of the offense does Jackson know that Hogan knows?
I don't get that question. Hogan has been here awhile. He has a playbook.

Hogan does not know the entire playbook. He has been on the active roster for two entire weeks as of today. Hue is the head coach he doesn't have the time to sit in on every offense or defensive meeting, every meeting by the position coaches. Pep has more knowledge of the plays Hogan does know, so turning the play calling over to him in the last five min. was a good call for Hue to make. If Hue made any mistake it was not turning it over to Pep a little sooner.

Quote:
Would it help the team to Have Hue calling plays that Hogan did not know how to run, or was not comfortable with, or would it make more sense for Pep who was more on the same page as Hogan to send in plays he knew Hogan had down pat?
I need to ask a question to answer your question. Are you suggesting they started running plays from when both were at Stanford? I don't believe that is the case. I think that is beyond far-fetched. I think Hue and Pep both know the playbook and were both limited to the handfull of plays that Hogan has practiced.

No I am not saying they called any old plays from Stanford. Hue and Pep do know the playbook inside and out. What I am saying is te Handfull of plays that Hogan practiced were already all called by halftime. He only ran the scout team while he was on the practice squad, and only got limited snaps in a handful of practices before he was forced into his first NFL game.

Pep at that point knew which other plays Hogan was familiar with or more comfortable with than Hue since he had spent way more time with him.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I agree. I don't think Hue quit on this team at all. He's human and he's disgusted and frustrated at what he is seeing as all of us are. I believe we are on the right track with him but it is going to take a monumental effort to right this ship. Best of luck to him, he'll need it.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
One thing that could help ... no one seems to be talking about it but yesterday I could have sworn I saw Coleman out there ... did he play? .. if so, i'm not sure its possible for him NOT TO be an upgrade to Pastor ...

Coleman did play some RT Sunday, and yes it was possible for him to play worse than Pastor banghead

Really? .. u hardly ever post .. and when u do U feel the need to come in and DESTROY ALL THE HOPE I HAD ... *L* ..

He's a rookie .. he best be better than Pastor by next year .. if not, WERE SCREWED .. another HUGE HOLE ...

He's a rookie .. hes a rookie .. hes a rookie ..

OK .. HOPE restored .. now leave me be ... *L*

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
Non-story, non-issue.

Then, why are you responding to it? Do we all have to think alike? Do we need to beat down any type of opposing opinion?

Dude, you consider that a beat down? It was my post and I don't even view it that way.

Your repeated concern is that Hue has lost ground with the team. I simply pointed out and highlighted a quote from a previously posted past that counters your stated concern.

Don't make more out of it than it is.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Swish
His reason for responding to it is the same as your reasoning for starting this thread.

Because he can.

He said it was a non-story, non-issue. I never said any such thing. I asked a question and thought we might have a good conversation, but no, it's gotta get personal and filled w/drama.

It's so, so sad........ rofl

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Side Note: The article posted and what the thread ended up being titled is a prime example of what is wrong with journalism today--"writers" attempt to do this all the time. They try to project an agenda through the title of a piece and manufacture a story essentially out of thin air by twisting the meat of the original piece, or quotes, or imply something that just isn't there. The teenagers eat this type of stuff up all the time.

It's too bad, really.

What's too bad is guys like you who can't debate fairly, but need to resort to agenda psychology that a child could see through.

It's too bad , really.

rofl

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

It's too bad, really.

What's too bad is guys like you who can't debate fairly, but need to resort to agenda psychology that a child could see through.

It's too bad , really.

rofl

Seriously? You're going to be the judge on debating fairly? That's the laugh of the year. I debate fairly all the time....just not with you.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Yeah, I am going to judge on how fair the debates are. What are you going to do about it? LOL

Legend
Legend
Quote:

That's the exact same thing I keep saying about a lot of guys this year LOL

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

That's the exact same thing I keep saying about a lot of guys this year LOL

I could have sworn i told u to leave me alone Mr. Negative ..

Quit raining on my parade, peeing on my Wheaties ..

I NEED HOPE BROTHER .. HOPE ...

Usually i can't wait for next year solely for the draft .. but this year its double the anticipation ..

All these rooks are gonna be 2nd year guys ...

Will the rooks improve or are they not much better than we've seen .. we'll have a much better idea on this years class 1/2 through next year ..

M
Legend
Legend
M
Yeah, I am going to judge on how fair the debates are. What are you going to do about it? LOL

Um...keep calling you out on ridiculous agenda posts/threads, the never-ending hypocrisy, and your general rudeness towards others who don't agree with you? Sounds like fun to me.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Honestly....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I threw a lot of things watching this Team... I didn't quit. Felt good to throw those things.. smile Hue has an advantage over my throwing things... He can actually tell them in person what I want to. smile

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
( What's too bad is guys like you who can't debate fairly )

LMAO! Pot calling the kettle black?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hey...your not aloud to be on here... smile call me

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
I played. And I don't see it as him quitting.

I obviously never played at the professional level but once in a HS basketball game, against a team we should easily beat by 20, we were down by 1 with 6 seconds left in the first half, it was our ball on the side and the other team called timeout to set their defense... we walked over to the bench and sat down and the coach just stared at us, didn't say a word.. finally one of the players asked him if he was going to draw up a play to get a shot and his response was, "You spent the last hour doing NOTHING that I have told you to do, NOTHING that we worked on all week, why should I draw up a play? Just go make something up."

We did, we failed to get a decent shot off.. the message was sent, it was received. We beat them by 16 in the second half...

Sometimes as a coach you have to try to reach your players in different ways... hope it works.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Yo that chick is crazy

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
Then she fits with the theme of this thread.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Ask and you shall receive.

Timeout #1 by CLE at 05:02.
1-10-CLE 46
(5:02) 14-A.Dalton pass incomplete short right to 11-B.LaFell.
2-10-CLE 46
(4:56) 25-G.Bernard left end to CLE 41 for 5 yards (55-D.Shelton).
3-5-CLE 41
(4:10) (Shotgun) 14-A.Dalton pass incomplete short left to 25-G.Bernard.
4-5-CLE 41
(4:04) 10-K.Huber punts 41 yards to end zone, Center-46-C.Harris, Touchback.

Cleveland Browns at 03:57
1-10-CLE 20
(3:57) (Shotgun) 8-K.Hogan pass short left to 81-R.Higgins to CLE 37 for 17 yards (24-A.Jones).
1-10-CLE 37
(3:34) (Shotgun) 8-K.Hogan pass short right to 29-D.Johnson Jr. ran ob at CLE 41 for 4 yards (43-G.Iloka) [97-G.Atkins].
2-6-CLE 41
(3:27) (Shotgun) 8-K.Hogan pass short right to 80-R.Louis to CLE 46 for 5 yards (21-D.Dennard; 96-C.Dunlap).
3-1-CLE 46
(2:59) (Shotgun) 8-K.Hogan right end to CIN 38 for 16 yards (36-S.Williams).
1-10-CIN 38
(2:27) (Shotgun) 8-K.Hogan pass incomplete short right to 80-R.Louis (21-D.Dennard).
2-10-CIN 38
(2:22) (Shotgun) 8-K.Hogan pass incomplete short middle to 34-I.Crowell.
3-10-CIN 38
(2:18) (Shotgun) 8-K.Hogan pass short right to 82-G.Barnidge to CIN 21 for 17 yards (31-D.Smith).
Two-Minute Warning
1-10-CIN 21
(2:00) (Shotgun) 8-K.Hogan pass short middle INTERCEPTED by 57-V.Rey (96-C.Dunlap) at CIN 14. 57-V.Rey to CIN 20 for 6 yards (77-J.Greco). {tipped at the line of scrimmmage}

Cincinnati Bengals at 01:52
1-10-CIN 20
(1:52) 33-R.Burkhead right tackle to CIN 20 for no gain (96-X.Cooper).
2-10-CIN 20
(1:07) 33-R.Burkhead left end to CIN 26 for 6 yards (30-D.Kindred; 58-C.Kirksey).
3-4-CIN 26
(:19) 33-R.Burkhead right end to CIN 32 for 6 yards (55-D.Shelton).
END GAME

The timeout was called at 5:02 but the defense was still on the field at the time.

The Browns were on offense for approximately 2 minutes and exactly 8 plays.

The rest of that time Cincy was on offense.

I'm not sure how many of the above guys played, but I am quite certain that they all coached at College level or above.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2016 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 17 Bengals 31 Did Hue Quit on His Team?

Link Copied to Clipboard