Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
We gave up a compensatory third round pick.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/793127510758293504

Collins is a free agent after the season, so we'll have to re-sign him. He was second team All-Pro last season.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yea, just read that interesting

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Is he about to get suspended or something? This seems like an awfully good deal for the Browns. saywhat

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Guess this is where some of our cap will go

link

Collins, 27, is a versatile and talented linebacker who moved around and played several positions in the New England defense. He was scheduled to become a free agent in the offseason and it will likely be a top priority for the Browns to extend the newly added linebacker.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What's the catch?

The NFL’s best outside linebackers, No. 1: Jamie Collins

Quite simply, Collins is one of the most versatile front-seven defenders in football. To wit: The NFL Network’s Willie McGinest (slight homer alert here) recently named Collins one of the game’s top 3–4 linebackers, even though the Patriots don’t really play a 3–4. And he’s on this list, despite the Patriots not truly being a 4–3 team either. Bill Belichick’s defense spends most of its time—upwards of 75%—in two-linebacker, nickel looks. Collins’s ability to play just about anywhere, though, is a key both to that 4–2 setup and New England’s ability to match up with opposing offenses. The 2013 second-round pick finished last season with 89 tackles, six pass breakups, 5.5 sacks, five forced fumbles and an interception. He also played 100% of the Patriots’ snaps, save for the games he missed due to a viral illness. The Patriots shipped out Chandler Jones this off-season, in theory, to help them lock up Collins long-term. He’s worth the investment.

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Collins is a VERY good LB. Why the Pats would trade him mid-season is a little odd.

3rd rounder is a good pick but he's a young LB who is just entering his peak. Granted, he'll be looking for top dollar in FA so maybe the Pats already figured they wouldnt be able to afford him and wanted to get a return.

So who gets bumped to the bench?

Scratch that...I thought Collins played inside but guess he plays out. Fills the spot opposite Ogbah.

Last edited by CanadaDawg; 10/31/16 12:41 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Cam Johnson?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: CanadaDawg

In our base set, which we are in very rarely, Joe Scobert. In sub packages, Davis or Kirksey.

Legend
Legend
8-8

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Very good LB.. Glad we got him.

Hope we can re-sign to a long term deal.

Hope he can handle losing.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
P
Legend
Legend
P

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
I fear that in the end we just spent a late 3rd rounder to rent him for 8 games..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Jesus, this is getting worse.

Collins is a FA after this season, so the Browns paid a 3rd and will overpay him, so he can go into Kruger-mode. Browns paid a high price just to be the first to negotiate with him, lol.

The Browns are getting dumber by the minute. Instead of paying Sheard and keep the pick, they do this, because of course the grass is always greener.

This team needs leaders, not mercenaries.Who was the last Pats player Belly let go that did anything close elsewhere?

Didn't like Collins out of college, all athleticism, no football smarts, which equates to the type of guy that plays to get a contract and then goes through the motions.

And comp 3rd? I thought comp picks can't be traded?

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
huge move for the browns. collins is one of the best defenders in the NFL. Gonna cost us to keep him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What's the franchise tag number for OLB's?

You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
And comp 3rd? I thought comp picks can't be traded?

The rule changed this year, after the 2016 draft.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown

I'm seeing ~15ish

Crowded elevators smell different to short people...
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown

It's just linebackers, there is no inside/outside. But for 2016 it was $14,129,000.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/here-are-the-2016-nfl-franchise-tag-numbers-for-every-position/

Legend
Legend
Collins..
Ogbah...
Nassib..

Garrett...

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Collins is a massive upgrade to Damario Davis. Just massive.

Use the Cap Space and get a guy who you wouldnt normally have a shot at.

you had a good run Hank.
Legend
Legend
Just ignore Django. We could trade for Aaron Rodgers and he'd bitch about adding his contract. This is a solid deal.

Legend
Legend
WOW,, what's the catch? Seriously, is it because Belichick knows the kid is going to want a huge payday? Is it that Belichick said to the kid, hey, I'm sending you to Cleveland, I get a pick and then we'll work out a deal next year long term with you LOL

With Belichick inbvolved, I'm sorry, but I can't help but wonder

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DjangoBrown
The Browns are getting dumber by the minute. Instead of paying Sheard and keep the pick, they do this, because of course the grass is always greener.

Sheard was not re-signed by Farmer.

Who was the last Pats player Belly let go that did anything close elsewhere?

Chandler Jones.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Welp the Browns have hooked me again.

Legend
Legend
From what I've heard if Collins leaves Cleveland end of the season, the Pats send the 3rd round pick back. Once again, Django just taking trash because he can.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: candyman92
From what I've heard if Collins leaves Cleveland end of the season, the Pats send the 3rd round pick back. Once again, Django just taking trash because he can.

Say what now?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Here's the stickler- Collins wants Von Miller type of money.

Legend
Legend
So we have Ogbah, Kirksey, Davis, Collins as our starting LB corp.

now it looks actually pretty decent.

but that secondary though.....

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Create a pass rush, and the secondary will look a lot better.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Here's the stickler- Collins wants Von Miller type of money.

Great. Lots of people want stuff they will not get. If he wants Von Miller money and is unwilling to negotiate, then he is franchised and has to play his best in 2017 to earn a huge contract.

Legend
Legend
Patriots trade Jamie Collins to Browns - NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000731353/article/patriots-trade-jamie-collins-to-browns

This says that it is a conditional pick.

Man, this sounds better as more info comes out. laugh

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just ignore Django. We could trade for Aaron Rodgers and he'd bitch about adding his contract. This is a solid deal.

I actually bitch about the player most. He's just the type of guy dumb teams give away high priced contracts to. Collins is a mix of Kirksey and Mingo.

Is he an upgrade? Umh yeah. Not that hard considering the trash we run out at OLB. With this trade our FO geniuses at least admit their draft failure, investing so many high picks in pass rushers with little effect.

And you know what? Collins will probably play lights out the rest of this season because he can already smell the green. This would be so Browns if Collins helps them win enough games to not pick first. This org is so freaking stupid, unbeliavable.

Of course the minions like you on this board will spin this into FO greatness. Meanwhile the rest of the league can't stop laughing about an 0-8 team trading for an oh so great player from a contending team at the trade deadline.

If you think our geniuses, the same guys that spent a high pick on Ogbah, are smarter than Belly and 28 other FO that didn't pony up for 8 games of Collins, well, whatever floats your 0-8 boat I guess.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Patriots trade Jamie Collins to Browns - NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000731353/article/patriots-trade-jamie-collins-to-browns

This says that it is a conditional pick.

Man, this sounds better as more info comes out. laugh

It's probably conditional because we don't actually own the pick yet. There was similar language in the Eagles trade.

Legend
Legend
Also, I have to wonder about something ..... some on this board are thinking that he plays inside in place of Davis.

I'm thinking, that given all of the trouble we have had setting the edge on defense. that he may play OLB.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Is he an upgrade? Umh yeah. Not that hard considering the trash we run out at OLB. With this trade our FO geniuses at least admit their draft failure, investing so many high picks in pass rushers with little effect.

Nassib and Ogbah have both played fairly well, but the jury is still out on them as they are rookies.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Django...put down the haterade and actually look at what we got here.

All-pro quality linebacker that immediately upgrades our defence and gives a defensive cornerstone to build around that is just entering the best years of his career.

Are we gonna have to pay the man? Absolutely. But you pay for quality....and the guy is definitely quality.

And if for some reason we can't negotiate with him (which I guarantee we already have some kind of base worked out), the BROWNS will get a new compensatory pick back if he moves on.

Flat out stellar move by the FO.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Also, I have to wonder about something ..... some on this board are thinking that he plays inside in place of Davis.

I'm thinking, that given all of the trouble we have had setting the edge on defense. that he may play OLB.

When we have four linebackers on the field, which doesn't happen all that often, he will play outside. When we have sub packages on the field, which is most of the time, he will play instead of Kirksey or Davis (as Collins is good in coverage). At least that's the way I see it playing out. Collins may not play much right away because he is new.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
None of what you are saying is rational.

We got a good player, so good that he might catapult us to three or four wins just because we got him.

Also, he's not acutally that good of a player, so we shouldn't have traded for him.

Furthermore, he might be expensive because the bad player is going to play so well that will have to pay him.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
None of what you are saying is rational.

We got a good player, so good that he might catapult us to three or four wins just because we got him.

But that player might be expensive, so that's bad.

He can't make up his mind. Does he want talent? Does he want to tank?

S
All Pro
All Pro
S

I actually bitch about the player most. He's just the type of guy dumb teams give away high priced contracts to. Collins is a mix of Kirksey and Mingo.

And you know what? Collins will probably play lights out the rest of this season because he can already smell the green. This would be so Browns if Collins helps them win enough games to not pick first. This org is so freaking stupid, unbeliavable.

Of course the minions like you on this board will spin this into FO greatness. Meanwhile the rest of the league can't stop laughing about an 0-8 team trading for an oh so great player from a contending team at the trade deadline.

If you think our geniuses, the same guys that spent a high pick on Ogbah, are smarter than Belly and 28 other FO that didn't pony up for 8 games of Collins, well, whatever floats your 0-8 boat I guess.

Would you really want the #1 pick in this draft? (Assuming you don't want Garrett out of TAMU)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns trade for Patriots linebacker Jamie Collins

Link Copied to Clipboard