cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Statement from Sashi Brown and Hue Jackson:

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...1a-288dfbfcefb2

Quote:
“We are always looking for ways to improve our roster by acquiring talent and the trade deadline sometimes grants you that opportunity,” said Browns Executive Vice President of Football Operations Sashi Brown. “Jamie Collins is a talented-tough-young-playmaker that our coaches and personnel staff think can be a great fit for our defense. We feel really good about being able to add him to our team and look forward to getting him into our building and having him work with our coaches.”

"Jamie Collins is a really good football player and we're excited to be able to add a player like him to our team,” said Browns Head Coach Hue Jackson. “He’s played at an extremely high level with toughness and playmaking ability for his entire career. We look forward to him being an important piece of our defense. The plan is for him to come in and learn our system quickly so he can make an immediate impact.”

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Schadenfreude
Would you really want the #1 pick in this draft? (Assuming you don't want Garrett out of TAMU)

If you are a bad team, you always want the first overall pick.

#1 - You get to pick whoever you want.

#2 - Some team might try and trade some crazy amount of picks to get the player they want without obstruction.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
With this trade our FO geniuses at least admit their draft failure, investing so many high picks in pass rushers with little effect.

Which draft failures do you speak of?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
Great Deal ... We get a very good LB and if he decides to not sign (Which he will. his agent said he wasn't upset about going to Cleveland because he just wants to play where he is wanted) we will retain the conditional pick ... its a win win Good move FO thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I wish you are right, but I think you're looking at this through rose coloured glasses, as many in here are right now. Just speak out loud the parameters of this deal for a moment. The 7-1 Pats trade away an "All-Pro" for nothing and the only taker were the 0-8 Browns. Where is the mistake? If he were an All-Pro caliber, an 7-1 team wouldn't trash him out the door, even knowing he would leave. So either talent level or character (probably both deducting from prior Belly moves) are highly questionable.

Also, if all it took was a hefty payday. Why not give it to him in FA? We just paid a 3rd to hold him hostage. The Browns version of "locking up" a player, lol.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
P
Legend
Legend
P
Really Django how do you know no other teams were involved?

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

He flat lined. Everybody clear, charge to 200 ZAP

You Ok Pastor?

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Pats have a lot of guys to lockup, like Hightower.

Legend
Legend
Not to worry Bill has Mingo to take the place of Collins naughtydevil

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Never trust wild Bill.

Played part time against the Bengals, played limited snaps last week.....

Trading a star when you are far and away the best team in your conference. Something doesn't add up. I would not be surprised whatsoever if he fails his physical or comes here and immediately goes on IR.

Seems too good to be true, so it probably is.

On paper looks great, 3rd round comp (essentially a 4th) and if he does leave you get probably a 3rd round comp in return for taking a chance on a pro bowl player.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

You Ok Pastor?

lol Yes I don't know what happened I think I blacked out when I heard we made a great trade thumbsup

M
Legend
Legend
M
This is a great trade......if we can get him re-signed. Might have to franchise tag him if a deal can't be reached by the time FA starts.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Quote:
And comp 3rd? I thought comp picks can't be traded?

The rule changed this year, after the 2016 draft.

So its accentually a 4th round pick.

If they can resign him this will be a great trade. Im thinking that a new contract is forth coming. We can afford him.

I would like to see him on the weakside and move Ogbah over to the strongside and move Shobert to the bench.

Also I think that this was a cap move for the Patriots in the long run.

Now if we can find/trade two safties.

Eating my crow pie. I really thought IC would have a breakout season @ SS.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I will hang onto the paddles for our 2019 super bowl victory just in case buddy thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BpG
Never trust wild Bill.

Played part time against the Bengals, played limited snaps last week.....

Trading a star when you are far and away the best team in your conference. Something doesn't add up. I would not be surprised whatsoever if he fails his physical or comes here and immediately goes on IR.

Seems too good to be true, so it probably is.

I don't think they wanted to pay him, and he would likely leave anyway. This way they get a draft pick before he walks. If we keep him, we'll pay big money for him. Hopefully he stays healthy and plays at a high level. If he does, it's a good trade.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
So its accentually a 4th round pick.

/fôrTH/ /round/ /pik/ thumbsup

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
We can clear about $18m in cap space by cutting Tramon, RG3, and Demario this offseason. Probably upwards of $70m in cap this offseason.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I thought he played ILB.

Really like Jamie Collins but we better be able to sign him or we're going to look like idiots. Linebacker. On a related note, LB franchise tag in 2016 was $14MM, transition $11M. What compensatory pick would we get if he walks? angel

Tackles are tackles.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
I thought he played ILB.

Really like Jamie Collins but we better be able to sign him or we're going to look like idiots. Linebacker. On a related note, LB franchise tag in 2016 was $14MM, transition $11M. What compensatory pick would we get if he walks? angel

Youd get a lot if he was either.

Collins plays nickle LB and olb in base defense. He has good pass rushing skills but is elite at coverage. A true playmaker.

you had a good run Hank.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: candyman92
Just ignore Django. We could trade for Aaron Rodgers and he'd bitch about adding his contract. This is a solid deal.

Serious! I know right!! How could someone complain about this?

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought he played ILB.

Interestingly enough, if he walks and gets $15 mil a year from someone else, we'd most likely get a 3rd round comp pick.

I keep scratching my head and wondering what the catch is on this one. I can't find anything.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
None of what you are saying is rational.

We got a good player, so good that he might catapult us to three or four wins just because we got him.

Also, he's not acutally that good of a player, so we shouldn't have traded for him.

Furthermore, he might be expensive because the bad player is going to play so well that will have to pay him.

Do I really need to spell it out for you? I'll tickle your brain:

1. How many halftime leads did the Browns have against beatable, meh teams?

2. How many could they have won with anything resembling a pass rush?

3. Is Collins motivated to play to his best these last 8 games?

4. Is he better than what we have playing at his best?

5. Once he gets that 4y multi millions guaranteed contract through his 31y/season, do you think his motivation is as high? Think Kruger, and so many others, and he doesn't come close to Kruger's overall makeup.

So Collins will probably play his best as a Brown in a 0-8 season, potentially leading to 1-2 more wins vs. middling teams because upgrading from pass rush nothing doesn't need All-Pro ability, especially not long term.

That's my rationale. But of course yours (GREATNESS!) is probably the more accurate assessment considering what we know, lol

#gmstrong

M
Legend
Legend
M
I think the Patriots are also high on Elandon Roberts.

Tackles are tackles.
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Legend
Legend
Where do you see 2 wins? Seriously, I want to know.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Really Django how do you know no other teams were involved?

Not saying there weren't, but none willing to pay more than a very late 3rd, basically a 4th rd pick for allegedly an "All-Pro" is telling, no?

#gmstrong

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
I thought he played ILB.

Youd get a lot if he was either.

Collins plays nickle LB and olb in base defense. He has good pass rushing skills but is elite at coverage. A true playmaker.

Awesome. Thanks for the clarification.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
jc

Another question the apologists should try to spin-dance for my amusement:

If you're cool to spend a 3rd AND lots of money for a player in order to upgrade your roster, then why didn't they do it last FA, saving the pick?

Well, because that's what apologists do. Probably a lot of the same guys that were on board with the "re-built through the draft, no expensive FA" philosophy, now applaud this trade which makes even LESS sense considering the timing. Riddle me this, please.

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
Too diacritical, CalD.

Still laughing . . . . rofl

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Btw, here's my answer: they are DESPERATE and have thrown their plan out the window, because it's not yielding results and there's a lot of un-happiness and finger-pointing in the building.

But no, they did it because they're smart and great, lol

#gmstrong

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
So glass almost all the way empty then, gotcha. thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Quote:
5. Once he gets that 4y multi millions guaranteed contract through his 31y/season, do you think his motivation is as high? Think Kruger, and so many others, and he doesn't come close to Kruger's overall makeup.

You can't not take good players because you are afraid they will lose their motivation after they get paid.. and I haven't heard a single person compare Collins to Kruger..

However, on one hand we have our FO evaluating this players worth... on the other end we have Bill Belichick evaluating this players worth... until we prove otherwise, advantage Patriots.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

You Ok Pastor?

lol Yes I don't know what happened I think I blacked out when I heard we made a great trade thumbsup

Quick ! Get this man a Burger!

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He wasnt happy in New England as they were cuttin back on his playing time and not very eager to negotiate a new deal. This was Belli eliminating a problem before it became one.

he and Hue will get along well and he gives us a really good backer. We have the cash to give him a deal before season is over if he is earning it. We are really becoming pretty much a true 4-3 team with occasionally throing in some 3-4. hell we play more 4-2-5 than 3-4-4.

This was a good move for both teams.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Look Django, don't want to argue you could be right but this FO hasn't been in place long enough to judge one way or the other I mean 12 draft picks are on the roster now and that was their 1st draft and I know we aren't very good now but some of those picks may turn out to very good players, so let's give them a little time before we trash them ... Just Sayin'

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

Thanks for the highlights.... I can see he clearly reminds me of Mingo just like someone said!

I want the Browns to get better - and I am happy with the trade. Like others I think you have to be on your guard when it comes to Belichick - but I hope that it was purely a $$$ issue. And if we end up overpaying to keep him, for an elite talent, I have no problem.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
All Pro
All Pro
I keep seeing people discussing it as a compensatory 3rd....That can not be correct...yes this year you can trade comp picks...BUT they have not been awarded at this time.

HACK

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
fantastic deal for us. I like it. Ogbah, Collins, Kirksey, Davis. that just looks good to me. then we have Nassib, Meder, and Shelton...now that's a front seven I can live with...3 more DB's and I'll be happy.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: SteelHack
I keep seeing people discussing it as a compensatory 3rd....That can not be correct...yes this year you can trade comp picks...BUT they have not been awarded at this time.

HACK

It's a conditional pick. When the compensatory picks are awarded the Patriots get the actual pick.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns trade for Patriots linebacker Jamie Collins

Link Copied to Clipboard