Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Legend
Legend
One major problem on our defense has been the inability to set an edge, allowing big runs to break outside.

I think that Collins should be able to help with this.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'll take Collins for one of the many picks we have next year and we can lock him up for an additional year if we like his work.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Some of Collins being unmotivated in NE being tossed around on the internet, FYI.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: DjangoBrown
jc

Another question the apologists should try to spin-dance for my amusement:

If you're cool to spend a 3rd AND lots of money for a player in order to upgrade your roster, then why didn't they do it last FA, saving the pick?

Well, because that's what apologists do. Probably a lot of the same guys that were on board with the "re-built through the draft, no expensive FA" philosophy, now applaud this trade which makes even LESS sense considering the timing. Riddle me this, please.

Simple....this gives us exclusive bargaining rights for the rest of the year as well as the option to use the franchise tag. Try to get him in FA and we have a load of other competition.

Add to this that this sends a positive message to the locker room that we're not trying to set the team up to fail this year and will look to add talent when we can.

I think you're just pissed that the Browns look to have done something awesome. Sorry the FO made a good move. Deal with it.

Or go root for Buffalo.

Legend
Legend
So far the only reason I see why the patriots got rid of him is because he wanted to get paid.

Is he worth von miller money? No, but he's definitely worth a nice contract.

We got a player entering his prime for a 3rd rounder.

We have another nicely developing OLB in ogbah. Kirksey, just in case people are wondering, is 5th in the NFL in tackles. And Demario Davis is flashing.

Just my opinion but this is a great trade. It also means if we sign him in the offseason, it's one less spot we have to worry about trying to find a starter during the FA/draft period.

So we spent a 3rd rounder on a player we already know is good and young, instead of drafting a guy who MIGHT be good with our 3rd pick?

Sounds good to me.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Some of Collins being unmotivated in NE being tossed around on the internet, FYI.

Lots of it by our old friend Michael Lombardi (who I like). Lombardi is basically saying that Collins was made an example of because the defense has been bad and Collins was freelancing too much.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Detroit sent Kyle Van Noy LB to the Pats last week...looks they replaced him before trading him...Could be just a money thing.

New England traded one of its best players due to stalled contract talks.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/10/31/13478...-collins-browns

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
O
Legend
Legend
O
Looks to me like a very solid player for a third... As long as we extend him this is a no brainer IMHO.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Lots of it by our old friend Michael Lombardi (who I like). Lombardi is basically saying that Collins was made an example of because the defense has been bad and Collins was freelancing too much.

Yeah, I saw that interview on Colin Coherd. Maybe stuff is trickling in from other outlets as a result of his comments.

So, trying to think about this deal a little more, the worst case scenario is that we get a compensatory pick back, perhaps a few slots away that we just gave NE. Maybe early rights to negotiate a deal is worth that to the Browns FO? I don't know.

Where the Browns are advantageous to someone like Collins, who is looking for a big deal, is that we are loaded in cap space this offseason. If I am truly looking to sign him long term, I'd consider front-loading as much of that in the first few years so there is money available if draft picks come to fruition.

I'm excited to see him in a Browns uniform and hopes this works out. If not, then NE is getting back at us for trading them Mingo.

I also think another factor is NE having to make difficult choices because they have guys they like more and want to re-sign....Like Hightower, Vollmer, Sheard, Blount. I cannot wait to be in a posiiton where we have to make these tough choices financially because we've got a solid corp.....

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ian Rapoport was just Nfl network and said the Browns see Collins as a long term answer to the position. So sounds like they want him for long term. sounds good to me.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Legend
Legend
Took a stroll to the NE Message Board.

Entertaining.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
I looked at well....Most people seem to be pissed.

Legend
Legend
Difference between the old browns and new... Hue Jackson.. I think we can get Jamie to stay.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
Ian Rapoport was just Nfl network and said the Browns see Collins as a long term answer to the position. So sounds like they want him for long term. sounds good to me.

I don't think this is all surprising. The questions is whether they can get a deal done.

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Well, ok. Reading comprehension fail. I was talking signing some OTHER FA before the season. Everybody loved the "build through the draft" mantra, now it's cool to throw out picks and big bucks. They're great either way.

#gmstrong

"Players come along at different points in time" - Ray Farmer
M
Legend
Legend
M
Well, ok. Reading comprehension fail. I was talking signing some OTHER FA before the season. Everybody loved the "build through the draft" mantra, now it's cool to throw out picks and big bucks. They're great either way.

I think this is a more than fair comment regarding free agency and the draft, and for the record, I am someone who is all about building through the draft. Yet I'm a tad conflicted because I do like this trade. I guess it's because I always thought Collins would be someone NE would keep as a result of drafting well. Normally, 27 year old All-Pros don't make it to the FA market.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
8-8

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
we have 12 rooks on the 53....we have 13 more picks next year...if 8 of those picks makes the roster then we have 20 rooks and 1st year players. darn near half the roster...sounds like building to me.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C

Yes, I did miss that. My mistake.

My answer would be fairly simple. Let's look back at who was available at LB

1. Bruce Irvin- Good player but I don't think anyone would call him elite.
2. Danny Trevathan- Good ILB..probably better than Demario Davis but not by leaps and bounds.
3. Derrick Johnson- Older and KC had inside track to make him stay.

Those are the big ones I recall.

But why else? Well, we drafted a few guys at LB...we obviously wanted to see what they could do. Ogbah is coming on while Schobert has been a disappointment. Is it possible that if Schobert was playing better that we don't make this move? Absolutely....but he's not.

You can probably cheer here because you get to yell "wasted draft pick". Go ahead...get it out of your system. Done? OK.

But why else? Frankly, the team was evaluating where they were at. Brand new coaches, brand new plan. Why make big moves when you're not ready to? They weren't ready...so they didn't.

FINALLY, just because you acquire someone doesn;t mean you've abandoned the idea of building through the draft. This is one move...not a Butch Davis'esque FA spending spree The FO traded away A LATE THIRD ROUNDER for an elite LB. How is that not a smart move???

How about you stop being the Browns fan equivalent of a streetside preacher proclaiming everything to be evil and worthy of damnation and just acknowledge when this team has done something good....

Last edited by CanadaDawg; 10/31/16 04:41 PM.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy

Entertaining.

My favorite thing I've seen on Pats message boards is a theory that Mingo will be able to step right up and fill the void left by Collins.

Riiiiiiiiight.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I really don't care about the pick. They would have probably wasted it on another Schobert or R.Louis with shiny stats and no tape. It's not what irks me about this trade.

My problem is the type of player they reward. Collins is massively overrated and greedy believing his own hype. You will be ecstatic this season, as he will automatically look like a world beater comped to Schobert. Then he gets the $$ and then you'll wait for an impact. We bought high and managed to waste a pick on top of it to make clear to anyone how stupid we are. And not only that, it also sends a bad message.

They had the most cap room around, but fed us the "build through the draft" plan. Well, ok, they want to rebuild. As expected, they lose. But now, at 0-8, they go out and not only pony up the $$, but waste a pick on top and PR BS us with "we look to impove any way we can". Who believes this BS? Weren't there dozens of players last FA that would have helped us? Now they recognize there is a talent problem on the roster? What does that tell you about their evaluation skills?

You can spin this any way you want, but this trade is an admission that at least a part of their plan has already failed to the point that the coaching probably was close to throw in the towel (and Hue actually DID). These guys actually believed they would win a little with their approach, but they didn't and this lead to this stupid panic move.

#gmstrong

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: CanadaDawg

Entertaining.

My favorite thing I've seen on Pats message boards is a theory that Mingo will be able to step right up and fill the void left by Collins.

Riiiiiiiiight.

Well, be prepared. They have very similar skill sets. In fact, going into the draft Collins was considered a "lesser" version of Mingo for those who missed out on him. Just saying.

#gmstrong

A
Legend
Legend
A

Entertaining.

Riiiiiiiiight.

Well, be prepared. They have very similar skill sets. In fact, going into the draft Collins was considered a "lesser" version of Mingo for those who missed out on him. Just saying.

Only problem with is, one has proven it on the field. And one hasn't.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Well done on ignoring any and all points made previously. But whichever...nothing is going to sway you in your non-stop griping about all things.

I think you couldn't be more wrong but time will tell. If we succeed in signing Collins long term and he flops, I'll be the first to admit a poor choice.

But I don't think it will turn out that way. Collins is a baller and I think his performance will even make it hard for you to deny it. I'm sure you'll still find a way...but it'll be difficult.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
it is entertaining lol. lots of pissed fans over there.they already have a couple of ours so it's nice to get one of theirs.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C

Entertaining.

Riiiiiiiiight.

Let me reply by saying... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Ahem...now that that's done...Mingo is a lesser version of Collins the way I am a lesser version of Collins. IE...not even in the same ballpark.

And I can even say that as someone who was initially high on Mingo.

Last edited by CanadaDawg; 10/31/16 05:14 PM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I don't know enough about the dude to comment ... can't wait to see him play .. he sounds like a HUGE UPGRADE to our PASS RUSH ...

I'm not going to question Bill as to why he did this .. he knows what he's doing ... looks like a WIN/WIN to me .. seriously .. WHATS OUR DOWNSIDE HERE? ..

What i wonder is why one of the better teams that have a shot at winning this year didn't trade for him for a 3rd rounder ... seems pretty cheap to me for a guy that u guys are saying can rush the passer ... oh well .. we'll see .. hmmmm ... bill may have given us a discount cause he knows trading him to us isn't going to come back and bite him in the ass for 3 or 4 years .. they played us this year so they won't even play us for 3 more years .. and we ain't going to the playoff for til at least 18 .. answered my own question .. LOVE WHEN THAT HAPPENS .. *L* ..

I'm a build through the draft guy .. but we got him on the cheap, he's young and we have a TON of cap room and a TON of HOLES to fill ... this is one less hole we need to fill ... HOPEFULLY ... actually .. VERY VERY LIKELY ... no way do we let him walk .. he'll be tagged if we can't work it out ..

My one and only concern .. HIS ATTITUDE ... he's in a contract year .. playing on a team that has a very good shot at winning the super bowl and he's POUTING ... seems like thats mostly over PT .. so if we franchise tag him and let him play (witch we will .. *L*) .. it should keep him motivated for at least next year ..

GREAT TRADE ... what the worse case scenario .. we lose the 33rd pick in the 3rd round ... THE HORROR!!!

GREAT ROLL OF A DICE for the Harvard boys here ... lets see what numbers come up ..

WOOF WOOF WOOF!!!

Legend
Legend
We comparing Mingo to a pro bowl player?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:
We loved Collins in 13 draft. If he had lasted a few more picks he would've been a Brown. Horton was part of that.

https://twitter.com/JoeBanner13/status/793167311767306240

Quote:
Browns waived TE Connor Hamlett to make room for LB Jamie Collins.

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/793196230650331136

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Quote:
NFL wire says the Patriots traded Collins to the Browns for a 2018 conditional fourth-round pick.

https://twitter.com/DougKyed/status/793196391988391936

Quote:
Yup, so it's likely a 2017 third-rounder if the Browns get a comp pick, 2018 fourth-round pick if not.

https://twitter.com/DougKyed/status/793197120748658688

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
We loved Collins in 13 draft. If he had lasted a few more picks he would've been a Brown. Horton was part of that.

https://twitter.com/JoeBanner13/status/793167311767306240

Quote:
Browns waived TE Connor Hamlett to make room for LB Jamie Collins.

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/793196230650331136

Hopefully we get Hamlett back on the PS.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
was just thinking about this a bit more...we should be able to keep him. and if we do indeed get the #1 pick next year we could look like this.

OLB- Ogbah
OLB- Collins
DE- Myles Garrett
DE- Nassib
NT- Shelton
ILB- Davis
ILB- Kirksey

I think that front seven could do some damage.

Last edited by dawgpound101; 10/31/16 05:27 PM.

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I think that front seven could do some damage for 15% of the plays.

Fixed it for you.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think that front seven could do some damage for 15% of the plays.

Fixed it for you.

haha naw you didn't. i like my version better tongue

M
Legend
Legend
M
You may need to switch Nassib and Ogbah in terms of where they've played this year.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
yup your right...hold on a tic

M
Legend
Legend
M

Would I be pissing in your cereal if I said I thought Garrett would be better as an OLB than a DE in the 34 Base?

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Would I be pissing in your cereal if I said I thought Garrett would be better as an OLB than a DE in the 34 Base?

lol nope never eat cereal. I just looked him up and saw he plays DE at the moment so, just went with that.

M
Legend
Legend
M

lol nope never eat cereal. I just looked him up and saw he plays DE at the moment so, just went with that.

That's because they run a 43.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

That's because they run a 43.

I'll take your word for where he would fit best. if that is the case, there would worse things than.

OLB- Garrett
OLB- Collins
DE- Nassib
DE- Ogbah (if Garrett goes outside then I move Ogbah here)
NT- Shelton
ILB- Davis
ILB- Kirksey

I would happy with this set up. would you?

Last edited by dawgpound101; 10/31/16 05:49 PM.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns trade for Patriots linebacker Jamie Collins

Link Copied to Clipboard