Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-flag-burning-should-be-illegal-151650482.html

President-elect Donald Trump says those who burn the American flag should face punishment.

“Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag,” Trump tweeted on Tuesday. “If they do, there must be consequences — perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!”

The Supreme Court disagrees.

In 1989, the court ruled that flag burning was protected as free speech under the First Amendment. The 5-4 ruling came after Gregory Johnson, a Texas protester who had been convicted for violating a state law that prohibited the “desecration of a venerated object,” appealed to the nation’s highest court.

The following year, the Supreme Court again voted in favor to protect flag burning when it ruled that the Flag Protection Act of 1989 — passed by Congress in response to the Texas v. Johnson decision — was unconstitutional.

The full article is on the link.

So loss of citizenship?

Sounds like fascism. Man you conservatives really like jailing people for any ole reason.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
rofl
The Trump Presidency is gonna be so much fun I can't wait!

A
Legend
Legend
A
So, as of now, and since 1989, burning the flag has been considered a 1st amendment right.

As of now, it still is.

I'm of the understanding that a president can't go against the supreme court with an executive order. (maybe I'm wrong on that?)

I also have the right to yell "fire" in a theater. I can do that. It doesn't mean I won't suffer the consequences of doing so, but the 1st gives me that right. Doesn't it?

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Well, trump is about to choose a new judge.

Maybe even two if the old lady retires.

So that decision can certainly be reversed. Just like other decisions the SC has made.

And then what

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Fun for you, a nightmare for others.

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Legend
Legend
A
I guess if the supreme court changes a law, I have to abide by it.

And for the record, I don't care if someone in this country wants to burn the flag as a protest. I really, really don't care. And I care even less if our flag gets burned in some other country. It speaks alot more about them than it does the country.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So whatever the government says, you're gonna just accept it.

Man oh man, has the rhetoric changed now that trump is about to be president.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish

Feel free to protest it like I have their Abortion decision, just don't break the law or try to trample our new Rights.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Flag Protection act of 2005

Quote:
The Flag Protection Act of 2005 was a proposed United States federal law introduced in the United States Senate at the 109th United States Congress on October 24, 2005, by Senator Bob Bennett (R-Utah) and co-sponsored by Senator Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.). Later co-sponsors included Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), Mark Pryor (D-Ark.) and Thomas Carper (D-Del.).[1]

The law would have prohibited burning or otherwise destroying and damaging the US flag with the primary purpose of intimidation or inciting immediate violence or for the act of terrorism. It called for a punishment of no more than one year in prison and a fine of no more than $100,000; unless that flag was property of the United States Government, in which case the penalty would be a fine of not more than $250,000, not more than two years in prison, or both.[1][2][3]

Don't remember the liberals throwing a fit about this one.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
New rights?

He's trying to take away rights.

The land of the free. How ironic.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Probabaly cause I was 17 when that happened.

Also, the president-elect didn't suggest anything like that at the time. But Trump is.

Horrible spin job. Try again.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
New rights?

He can't take away any of our Rights or create new ones, only his hand picked Supreme Court can do that.
It is only a Right if the Supremes say its a Right.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
New rights?

He can't take away any of our Rights or create new ones, only his hand picked Supreme Court can do that.
It is only a Right if the Supremes say its a Right.

If he picks SC judges that believe the way he does, then he essentially is.

You're continuing to do a terrible job trying to justify this.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Justify what? His Right to nominate Supreme Court Judges?

A
Legend
Legend
A
Probabaly cause I was 17 when that happened.

Also, the president-elect didn't suggest anything like that at the time. But Trump is.

Horrible spin job. Try again.

So, even though your girl was in favor of it in 2005, it's now a bad thing? Weird.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It's a bad thing then, it's a bad thing now.

You didn't see anywhere in that post where I defended her actions on that bill.

Try again.

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Legend
Legend
A

I don't have a choice. If the gov't says something is a law, I have to follow it, OR risk the penalty. Pretty simple logic, really.

Now, I can protest it. I can do my best to elect leaders that will change something. But I have to follow the law. So do you.

It's weird how that works, isn't it?

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Justifying his potential threat of taking rights away.

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Legend
Legend
A
It's a bad thing then, it's a bad thing now.

You didn't see anywhere in that post where I defended her actions on that bill.

Try again.

Has the supreme court changed the ruling?

Legend
Legend
Justifying his potential threat of taking rights away.

Only the Supreme Court can do such a thing.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

I don't have a choice. If the gov't says something is a law, I have to follow it, OR risk the penalty. Pretty simple logic, really.

Now, I can protest it. I can do my best to elect leaders that will change something. But I have to follow the law. So do you.

It's weird how that works, isn't it?

Actually it's not weird at all. I expect nothing less from you. Just bend over and take it from the government.

That alcohol you like to drink. You know why it got made legal again?

Civil disobedience. The country said F that, and did it anyway.

But I get it. A lot of you guys reap rewards without putting in any actual work.

A recurring theme around here.

Last edited by Swish; 11/29/16 07:40 PM.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Spin doctors out in full force.

Trump was right. He could shoot somebody, and people will defend him.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Trump will be your President soon so you should invest in lots and lots of buckets for them there tears.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Trump will be your President soon so you should invest in lots and lots of buckets for them there tears.

The reality is that it will be your tears that will need buckets.

This is gonna play out just as people imagine. Trump will do a ton of things that essentially takes the country socially backwards, while not fixing anything with regards to the economy.

- Theodore Roosevelt
E
Legend
Legend
E
I was just about to post something like that. Haha

No Craps Given
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't agree w/the loss of citizenship, but Swish.........what is so great about burning the American flag? You act like these idiots are heroes. They're idiots who are spoiled rotten and are lashing out about something they know very little about.

I have a better idea for Trump. Those idiots that are burning and looting stores in the name of Black Lives Matter should be deported or imprisoned.

Protest all you want, but destruction of property, harming innocent individuals, and stealing are crimes.

Y'all are never going to win another election as long as you support the criminal element of our society. I don't like the Republican party, but F..you to anyone who thinks harming my family is okay because of some unrelated incident.

Legend
Legend

The reality is that it will be your tears that will need buckets.

This is gonna play out just as people imagine. Trump will do a ton of things that essentially takes the country socially backwards, while not fixing anything with regards to the economy.

This from the guy who said Hillary would be President. Pfft.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Your post is ridiculous.

Did I say burning the American flag is great?

No.

Do I support destruction, stealing and harming people?

No.

And I've stated that multiple times on this board.

I'm not gonna discuss anything with you if you keep making. Gross generalizations and assumptions about me, ya know, the very thing you constantly complain about.

Come at me correct, or don't come at me at all.

I'll support a ban on burning the flag if you support a ban on the confederate flag.

Last edited by Swish; 11/29/16 07:55 PM.

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'll come at you any way I want and you can't stop me. Just like I would have ran your ass over on the football field.

Stop making dumb, whiny posts and I will stop being so aggressive.

Legend
Legend

I'll support a ban on burning the flag if you support a ban on the confederate flag.

Perhaps the Confederate Flag WILL BE our flag. We will have to ask the Supreme Court. Not yet tho, maybe in another year.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The football field?

Man what is your weak ass talking about? I doubt you even played ball. You have as much credibility in that as your weak ass claim of running through East Cleveland back in your day.

I bet your from a soft city like Mentor. You finally met your one black friend in the mall somewhere and thought you were about that life.

I got no time for frauds.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Vers is from Mentor?

But I thought...

WOW!

Legend
Legend
The burning of the flag is protected freedom of speech, as it should be. The flag is just cloth, nothing special. What is special is what's in our hearts about the flag and what it represents to us as individuals. Some don't respect the flag, okay, welcome to a free America. Fly it, burn it, You're choice in a free society. In the end it's symbolism will endure as the true value of our society, our country.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
He is completely wrong. Nothing more to say about it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Flag burning should be banned only if waving the confederate flag should be banned.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
rofl
The Trump Presidency is gonna be so much fun I can't wait!

Yep. Especially with his proposed Treasury Secretary who was with Goldman Sachs, Wall Street exec who also bought up a foreclosure machine in California and made a ton of money on the backs and tears of hard working folks while they lost everything during the Great Recession.

Oh yea, I forgot....he is the "anti-establishment" candidate who was running for the little guy...us 99%. He also said anti-Wall St. things on his campaign and then rewards them with spots on his transition team.

Yep, the duping of America by a greedy con-man is only just beginning.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I would support the burning of the Confederate flag.

V
Legend
Legend
V
May I ask why you guys think burning the American flag is such a good thing?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
May I ask why you guys think burning the American flag is such a good thing?

Nowhere in my post did I condone or say that I thought it was good. I didn't even comment on the flag burning issue. I was replying to 40 who said the Trump Presidency was going to be fun.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I know that, but the thread is about burning the flag. I think it is a moronic act. Are we really going to cry if those people face punishment?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Donald Trump: Flag burning should be illegal

Link Copied to Clipboard