Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Legend
Legend
C
Not a film breakdown, but the other Trubisky thread is locked:

Quote:
There are two knocks on Trubisky: 1) Scouts aren’t sure how tall he’ll measure out, and 2) he only started one year at North Carolina, unable to beat out Marquise Williams before that. Taking that into account, Trubisky’s anticipation, accuracy, touch and experience with progression reads put him atop the class.

“I’ll be shocked if Trubisky’s not the first one off the board,” said our AFC exec. A scout for another AFC team added, “You’re gonna see the ascension of the Carolina quarterback. He’s the guy, a top-two or -three pick. He’s the guy. A lot of teams like him up there.”

So here’s the question: Are you comfortable taking an Andy Dalton or Teddy Bridgewater in the top five? The truth is, Trubisky’s promise is in offering a team stability—but not necessarily superstardom—at the most important position.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/10/nfl-draft-depth-talent-prospects-notebook

P
Legend
Legend
P
I bet a lot of GM's kicked themselves for not drafting Dan Marino in the top 5 because they didn't see him as a superstar ... superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
I bet a lot of GM's kicked themselves for not drafting Dan Marino in the top 5 because they didn't see him as a superstar ... superconfused

What a horrible argument.

You can say this about several players in almost any draft.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

What a horrible argument.

You can say this about several players in almost any draft.

Exactly superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
E
Legend
Legend
E
btw...he fell mostly to rumors spread out there...one of which was an rumor about an injury. This was pre combine where they did medical stuff for all.

Oh and the rumor about who was spreading the Rumor was none other than the Dolphins wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Never heard the injury rumor, I thought it was a drug rumor? Marijuana I think.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: dean_fairchild
Never heard the injury rumor, I thought it was a drug rumor? Marijuana I think.

Sapp fell on the drug rumor.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
yep it was an Injury rumor that dropped him. It was an amazing draft for QBs. Marino was an excellent QB but I think he gets over rated in the All time QB rankings.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Here are two different articles that say it was a drug rumor.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-04...aft-norm-pollom

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/25196...draft-day-slide

and a third.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2011/4/24/21...no-ryan-mallett

I can't find a single one that mentions an injury. Not saying you're wrong but I can't find it.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Well it was a long time ago...so don't know what googling will get you. Just going on memory. Its ok...you can believe or not no skin off my back.
JmhRecollection.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
I can't remember if it was in 30 for 30 Elway to Marino but I definitely remember hearing about the Marino drug rumor as a reason why he fell...AND...that there was a NFL team/scout that actually had the drug test that cleared Marino but didn't release/pass.....

Anywho....anybody want to talk about any of Mitch's Film?

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: eotab
he fell mostly to rumors spread out there...one of which was an rumor about an injury.

Incorrect and conspiratorial. Tin-foil-hat injury paranoia, and by all accounts untrue. Sorry.

V
Legend
Legend
V
There were rumors regarding Marino before the draft. One of them was about him smoking marijuana. Sorry.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Just never heard the injury rumor.

E
Legend
Legend
E
its ok seems nobody else did. I just remember it being talked about as a good reason they have all the meds check at the combine now. No big deal.

Fact is it was RUMORS leaked out there which made him drop.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
His Wonderlic score was pretty horrible too. I remember the hype about that.

C
Legend
Legend
C

C
Legend
Legend
C
Trubisky is over 6'2''. Mayock got bad info.

Legend
Legend
'Browns strongly considering Mitch Trubisky No. 1 overall, sources say'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...ncart_big-photo

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com on March 02, 2017 at 3:34 PM, updated March 02, 2017 at 5:09 PM

INDIANAPOLIS - The Browns are strongly considering drafting hometown boy Mitch Trubisky No. 1 overall, league sources tell cleveland.com.

Trubisky, the Mentor, Ohio, native, checked off one of Hue Jackson's major boxes Thursday when he measured 6-foot-2 1/8 at the NFL Combine.

One top NFL personnel executive told cleveland.com Thursday that he'd definitely take Trubisky No. 1 now that he measured over 6-1. "He's got size,
he can move, he sees the field, has a big arm and more upside than Carson Wentz last year. They'd be set,'' he said.

Scouts had told NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock that Trubisky would be closer to 6-1 than the 6-3 he's listed at in his North Carolina bio.

Most draft experts, including Jackson's good friend Mike Silver of NFL Network, have the Browns taking Texas A&M pass-rusher Myles Garrett No. 1 overall, but that's not a lock.

"I'm almost positive that they'll do the no-brainer thing at No. 1 and take Myles Garrett, the very talented pass rusher out of Texas A&M,'' Silver said on NFL Network Wednesday. "It's early in the Combine, but the more I talk to talent evaluators that I respect, the more that I realize this is even more of a slam dunk in those people's minds than Jadeveon Clowney a few years back. They're thinking this is a generational pass rusher that has so much talent off the edge.

"Not only is he the clearcut choice at No. 1, but there is no obvious No. 2 sitting there. It's a draft where people think 2 and 25 could be about the same range of players. Very deep draft at the top but not crazy top-heavy. The top-heavy is Myles Garrett and whatever quarterback you may fall in love with."

Asked about such reports here Thursday, Jackson said it's too early to say.

"Obviously he's a tremendous player,'' Jackson said. "There's a lot of good players in this draft. It's just so early for us to determine exactly where we are. All those things will be discussed and thrown around as we continue to move forward.''

Trubisky is one of about four players on the Browns' radar at No. 1, but he could have a slight edge given that Jackson said at the Senior Bowl a good quarterback would trump an elite non-QB. The three other top candidates are Garrett, Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson and Alabama pass-rusher Jonathan Allen.

Jackson insisted Thursday that the Browns don't have the top quarterbacks ranked yet.

"We kind of have an idea, but there's no final, final (ranking) right now,'' he said. "I think we have an idea heading into it who are the guys that we really want to see more and find out more about, but I think it's way early to make a decision about exactly where that position is."

But Trubisky's 13 college starts and the fact he couldn't beat out Marquise Williams his first two years won't scare him off.

"It's a small sample size, but at the same time he still played,'' Jackson said. "I don't think that's what's important. If a guy demonstrates the characteristics you're looking for, it's important to keep digging and find out more, but I don't get concerned about that part of it as long as a guy can do what we need him to do."

The Browns will meet with Trubisky and the other top quarterbacks here at the Combine, and one of things they'll grill the former Tar Heel on is the pressure of playing for his hometown team. He's made it clear he wants to play for the Browns, and proudly wore his Browns gear on jersey days at North Carolina.

"All those things are important,'' said Jackson. "Some guys play better when they're at home, some guys don't. We'd have to know all those things. And we'll do the digging on all these guys that way.''

Jackson reiterated the three things he's looking for in a quarterback, and Trubisky seems to fit the bill: 1. Arm talent 2. Processing ability and 3. Face-of-the-franchise qualities.

Trubisky's college coach, Larry Fedora, raved about him in all three categories.

"Mitch Trubisky will be the face of somebody's organization and he will make them proud,'' Fedora told cleveland.com. "He'll never embarrass them. He's as solid a person as there is. He's the kind of person you'd want to be the face of your organization and he's a program-changer. Somebody's going to be able to build around him and have that piece of the puzzle. And at that level, that piece of the puzzle is extremely important.''

As for arm talent, Fedora said, "His accuracy is phenomenal. He's the most accurate quarterback I've ever coached or been around, and there's been some good ones. Mitch can put the ball exactly where he wants to put it. He can do it whether he's balanced or unbalanced. He can do it off his back foot, leaning, he can do it from a 3/4 pro to a sidearm. He can put the ball where he needs to put it, and that's very unique.

"He can make every throw but on top of everything, he makes really good decisions.''

In regards to processing, he said the Tar Heels put a lot on Trubisky's plate as far as "post-snap reads, whether or not we're going to run the football, throw it based on different keys. He doesn't throw it into coverage and he understands where to go with the ball. He's done a really good job of taking care of the football and we preach that.''

He added, "he's a quick learner. I can assure you, with his work ethic, those things are not going to be a problem. If he's taken No. 1 overall, he's qualified for it, no doubt.''

Of course, what the Browns do at No. 1 will be impacted by whether or not they can trade for Jimmy Garoppolo. Sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter they're not trading him, but some personnel executives here are still skeptical of that. The Browns, who will likely have some Garoppolo meetings here, should know by the end of this week whether or not that's true.

In the meantime, Jackson addressed head of football operations Sashi Brown's sentiments that he'd be OK if the Browns headed into 2017 with the current three QBs on the roster: Robert Griffin III, Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan.

"It could happen that way - not that we want it to be that way, but that the same time, that's a reality too,'' Jackson said. "But we're going to do everything we can to go find a quarterback for the Cleveland Browns."

And they might find him right in their own backyard.

D
Legend
Legend
D
If Hue wants him ... its going to have to be at #1 ... he ain't lasting til 12 ...

And if we do this ... the reaction in here alone would be worth it ... *L*

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
If Hue wants him ... its going to have to be at #1 ... he ain't lasting til 12 ...

There would be a lot of angry posters and I suppose a few happy ones.

...Just take Garrett.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I've been saying all along the only way we do not take Garrett is if Hue is sold on Tribusky. This is a tremendously strong draft for the D in the first two rounds. I would not mind 3 Impact picks on the D as long as Hue is 100% sold on Trib...getting our franchise QB is worth it to me. I know the place will go wild. I can see mac leading the Lord of the Flies movement...lol laugh

I want Garrett...but if we get our Franchise QB out of this...its worth it in the long run. We will get some outstanding players in the draft!

I will be happy either way...ergo my HOMER status...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Soooo hoping Hue has another 'trust me' guy in the 2nd or 3rd.

I
Rookie
Rookie
I
I think this is more of the draft games we see. In the same 24 hours Browns say they will listen to offers at number 1, then we will consider Mitch at 1. This is to get other team thinking that want Mitch and will move up to get him. I don't think that Hue wants him that bad, and I think they are taking the focus off the QB they really want and they need to get him at 12. Until free agency is over and we see what teams that need a OB in front of us at 12 it all games.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
2 questions:

1, Whether accurate or not, a lot of people are comparing Trubisky to Wentz. If Wentz was coming out this year, knowing what we new last draft day would you (generic group you) take Garret of Wentz #1 overall? A lot of people were really high on Wentz.

2, Say that there was some obscure NFL rule that caused Wentz to have to re-enter the draft this year.
Knowing what we know now about Wentz would you (again generic group you) take Garret or Wentz?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

...Just take Garrett.

I love MITCH .. imo him and JG are the only two good options at QB this year ..... as much as I love MITCH ... and no way he will be there at 12 ... I'd take MG and never look back ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Jester
2 questions:

1, Whether accurate or not, a lot of people are comparing Trubisky to Wentz. If Wentz was coming out this year, knowing what we new last draft day would you (generic group you) take Garret of Wentz #1 overall? A lot of people were really high on Wentz.

2, Say that there was some obscure NFL rule that caused Wentz to have to re-enter the draft this year.
Knowing what we know now about Wentz would you (again generic group you) take Garret or Wentz?

Wentz in a heartbeat ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
2 questions:

Wentz in a heartbeat ...

Just playing devil's advocate here.
If that is the case and Mitch is being compared to Wentz.
Why would you not take Mitch over Garrett?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
P
Legend
Legend
P
2 questions:

Wentz in a heartbeat ...

Exactly
superconfused

D
Legend
Legend
D
2 questions:

Wentz in a heartbeat ...

Because Mitch doesn't have a year in the NFL of film on him .. we've seen Wentz in the league for a year ... I could care less about comparisions ...

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

...Just take Garrett.

My wife still suffers from PTSD following my reaction after Holmgren drafted Weeden.

If we were to take him #1 that might be the thing to finally cause me to give up. Just throw in the towel and become a lacrosse fan or something.

Legend
Legend
"Mitch Trubisky would like to be known as Mitchell Trubisky"

Definitely not ganna be any good now..

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
ThatGuy #1239115 03/03/17 06:43 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Mitchell Trubisky definitely sounds less like a QB than Mitch. But Mitchell also doesn't rhyme with a curse word, so there's that.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I would be fine with him or Jimmy G. at 12 but to pass on a generational talent like Garret or Allen for a question mark? That will drive some people over the edge...

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Mitchell Trubisky definitely sounds less like a QB than Mitch. But Mitchell also doesn't rhyme with a curse word, so there's that.

Hate the name Mitchell Trubisky. This isn't going to work for him. He'll continue to be Mitch. Nothing he can do about it.

It's like when my buddy Jamie tried to get everyone to call him James. Just didn't work out. He might be insecure about his name, but he's Jamie. And that is just what it is

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 03/03/17 07:40 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
smh @ him wanting to be called Mitchell, and announcing it at the combine. #cmonson

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
B
Legend
Legend
B
I've been saying all along the only way we do not take Garrett is if Hue is sold on Tribusky. This is a tremendously strong draft for the D in the first two rounds. I would not mind 3 Impact picks on the D as long as Hue is 100% sold on Trib...getting our franchise QB is worth it to me. I know the place will go wild. I can see mac leading the Lord of the Flies movement...lol laugh

I want Garrett...but if we get our Franchise QB out of this...its worth it in the long run. We will get some outstanding players in the draft!

You are assuming that Hue knows what he is doing. I agree, if we get it right, great move selecting Mitch. If not, we waste at least 3 years with him while Garrett is on the way to the HOF, then we need another 3 years to maybe get it right, and while in that time span, we die of natural causes.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
smh @ him wanting to be called Mitchell, and announcing it at the combine. #cmonson

It's his name.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

You are assuming that Hue knows what he is doing. I agree, if we get it right, great move selecting Mitch. If not, we waste at least 3 years with him while Garrett is on the way to the HOF, then we need another 3 years to maybe get it right, and while in that time span, we die of natural causes.

Well if Hue doesn't know what he is doing we are hosed for the next few years anyway. I think this is the guys that Haslem wants ro hitch his wagon to so we are really hosed if they are clueless regardless.

As far as Tribisky, I like him the most out of all these guys, but man I don't like the idea of passing on Garret/Allen. I really hope if we go that route we are ready to build around him for the long term and he is worth it.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Film Breakdown: Mitch Trubisky

Link Copied to Clipboard