mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: bugs
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:
mac, I don't get your logic here. From Pryor's position, it is what he and his agent should be doing. From Browns point of view, they most obviously are thinking a lower value. This is simple textbook negotiations.

Bugs...my concern is that we are watching a replay of the Browns textbook negotiations style that lost Schwartz.

If Pryor hits the market it will mean that the front office once again failed to do their job!

...it still pisses me off that the front office lost Schwartz and I see the Pryor negotiations as a replay of that front office failure one year ago.

...how do the Browns build a winning team if the FO can't get our best players signed when it comes time to do a second contract?

...if the Browns front office again fails to get one of their best performers re-signed, there needs to be changes made in the front office.

Baltimore does this all the time and they re-sign players.

If Sashi signs Pryor, is this still a failure?

Before getting angry let's see how this plays out. Maybe Sashi learned something last year.

You do know maybe Pryor could be putting on a front and wanting out.

bugs...looks like we are about to find out if Sashi learned anything from the his front office failures of a year ago.

There are NO EXCUSES that Sashi can claim if he fails to get Pryor signed...NONE!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Unless Pryor really wants to play for his hometown Steelers. His young son lives in Pittsburgh.

You fail to recognize that Pryor has to want to sign with us.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Yes, but BB is different than football. I did not agree w/most of the OP's post, but baseball is indeed a much more "individual" game than football.

I don't think that can be debated.

I don't think it's a more individual game. Well, I do. But I also, don't. I think it offers just as many team opportunities as football, well probably not.

LOL........I'm not saying analytics won't work, but CHS, the team aspect thing really shouldn't be debated.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

Actually baseball n football have a common theme.

Baseball: Its all about PITCHING and Defense...you have superiority in that you are vying for the playoffs year after year.

Football: Its all about the QB and Defense...you have superiority in that you are vying for the playoffs year after year.

The way its being stated here it is as if we are Having Analytics RUN THE ENTIRE TEAM with no Football involved. Which isn't true. We are putting an emphasis on expanding Analytics to many areas of the Game to be available to us as a "TOOL" to get things right. I see no wrong in this. Those saying you can't have an advantage with Analytics is just wrong. Of course you can. Actually Great coaches like Great poker players have their own analytics in their head which has them making the correct decisions. Its why they WATCH Film and get TENDENCIES that they see. Well Analytics breaks down that tendency and is fed to the Coaches now and they can see the film and recognize it better.

Many, many uses for it in football.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
+1, this isn't the 50's where the club had all the power, good or bad, players get to pedal their worth in FREE market, democracy, love it....GMs have limited power, MONEY and relationships, that's about it...JMHO, every player we've lost wanted more money and WINNING, can anyone really be mad at Mack, the football player....sure hope Joe Thomas sees the playoffs/miracle and MORE??...Pryor has done right thing for himself/family...time will tell IF his public words were true (smart pr, put all pressure on FO)...yes, he's done a great job on free agency and making dude career into something nice for himself...unlike Gordon, he had the will and desire to make it happen.....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

I had a bad feeling Browns get the shaft trying to sign top players. Agents using Browns to boost the price. All a product around constant change.

I wonder now if this is what Sashi wanted to avoid last season pulling back offers. I guess this puts a little reality in all Haslam needs to do is open his checkbook.

I don't think it is all gloom and doom. Market is still wide open. Browns will simply miss out getting a little cream. Team must stay on path.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Team must stay on path.

No, they need to find a new path. What they have been doing is clearly not working.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:
Team must stay on path.

No, they need to find a new path. What they have been doing is clearly not working.

Another change? Can't we try doing something more than one year?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: bugs
Quote:
Team must stay on path.

Another change? Can't we try doing something more than one year?

Free agency literally hasn't even started.

V
Legend
Legend
V
That is not what I implied.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Team must stay on path.

They started a new path last year. Whether it is the right path is yet to be seen. If it is, as with everything else in life, there is a lag between starting on the right path and others recognizing that it is the right path.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
V
Legend
Legend
V
I guess my point was that we need to keep our talent, stop screwing players over, and not have the most salary cap room each year.

That's fine if you disagree, but I ain't changing my mind.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for clarifying. I thought you were talking about a grander scale of 'new path.' I agree they should keep good players. I will feel better if and when Pryor is re-signed.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
That is not what I implied.

I wasn't talking about blowing it up. It is difficult understanding their plan. They declare they have one. Team is to dysfunctional changing in a year. I never seen a cellar dwelling team change in a year. I've seen mediocre teams attempt a one year fix fall further down after two years.

I am glad they didn't go on shopping spree. What would that say about this organization if they did a 180 what they preached last year?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I am glad they didn't go on shopping spree. What would that say about this organization if they did a 180 what they preached last year?

It would probably mean that Hue won the power struggle.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

It probably also means we'll be looking for new coaching and personnel soon. If you deviate from the plan you very well could be out the door soon... kinda like when holmgren went all in on Richardson and weeden.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

There's a power struggle? Haha, ok. I love fabrication, err, I mean misinformation. Don't you?

Tackles are tackles.
L
Legend
Legend
L
with this many picks in the draft, i don't think we need to be crazy in FA, plug a couple holes, maybe upgrade the last few on the roster. But the majority of the things we need are abundant and exception in quality in this draft except QB

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
with this many picks in the draft, i don't think we need to be crazy in FA

I'm of the opinion we never need to be crazy in FA.
(1) Keep homegrown guys when appropriate
(2) Draft well.

It's been (2) that has generally plagued us for so long. Not a lack of FA activity.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Anyway... Had some time at the airport before boarding my flight. . . .

I've said for a while this FO has executed their plan so far to date perfectly. Regardless whether it met with your personal opinion/approval is a different matter. Whether you liked Wentz or not (and as good as he looked early the jury is still out on his floor and ceiling). . . . This FO has orchastrated the most draft collateral in a draft that has a lot of talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball. They have created the most cap space, giving the team the ability to sign talent if it chooses. (personally I don't think we should aim for more than a couple of impact FAs.)

Sure we might have a long way to go from turning a 1-15 team into a team that can go .500 or better, but man you have to like the ability to make an impact.

Would people rather we were 4-12 and with half the draft picks and half the cap space?? How good would Wentz have performed on the Browns last season. Regardless of what he flashed in my opinion there would be a lot of posters proclaiming we reached for Wentz and that our QB future was still uncertain. JMO.

What the Browns can control .... They've done so very well. What they can't control is the quality of the QBs in this year's draft. If a P Manning or A Luck was sitting there to draft we'd all be much happier. And i get the frustration and it truly sucks that the most important position on the team is such a huge question mark.

I also get that the Browns draft history since 1999 has been woeful. And the current FO is short on experience and doesn't get much love. . . And while the FO has created he cap space and created the draft collateral ... It's by no means certain they will maximize the opportunity.

For myself I'm happy to judge the FO on their performance and not lunp on baggage from previous regimes.

I'm also not expecting them to be perfect. No FO is. People can disagree about Schwartz last year, but even if your think it was a mistake ... It's one mistake. The FO is going to make them. Get over it.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Quote:

It probably also means we'll be looking for new coaching and personnel soon. If you deviate from the plan you very well could be out the door soon... kinda like when holmgren went all in on Richardson and weeden.

Mostly j/c:

No one outside Berea really knows what-is the plan.

They said they believe the best way to re-build a team is through the draft. They did NOT say they wouldn't entertain FA signings.

They acquired a boatload of picks for their first two years on the job - see the first sentence in the preceding paragraph. They knew they were losing Mack...they had no interest in Gipson...they weren't going to overpay Benji. So...when the Schwartz deal went south, they understood what all those losses meant for comp picks (see first sentence in preceding paragraph again) and free agency so they played the comp pick game and stayed away from free agency- see second sentence in preceding paragraph.

THEN...they scooped up a bunch of players that were low-cost, low-risk guys who didn't use up any draft capital in Boddy-Calhoun, Paea, even RG3. They got a good corner for a 7th Rd pick and a very good LB for the Mack comp pick. Good work there.

THIS year they have NO players of the same impact of Mack and Schwartz...and maybe a guy or two in the lesser category. They understand what that means for comp picks and FA. Hence, we are throwing around some serious $$$ to land some guys THIS year. To me...that is all part of "The Plan". When we (hopefully) sign a few upper-tier guys, we will hear about how the FO has "finally" decided to adjust their plan...when what they have-done and are doing has been part of "The Plan" all along.

"They" stated that they want continuity but they also stated that they will improve the team whenever and wherever possible. Hence the coaching changes.

"They" stated that they want to reward their own players and try to keep them. If they've offered TP 6+ million a year, I'd say they kept that promise. That's a lot of $$$. Maybe they need(ed) to offer him more...but that's a lot of $$$ for an unproven, improving 27 year-old guy new to his position. They let it be known publicly that they want him back...so no silly posturing is in play.

I'll sit back and chuckle when posters start claiming that the Browns finally 'figured it out', 'learned that the plan wasn't going to work', and my favorite...'they adjusted the plan to save their jobs'...when they have done exactly what they said they'd do.

The only real question is whether they got/get it right.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

There's a power struggle? Haha, ok. I love fabrication, err, I mean misinformation. Don't you?

And I love when people aren't able to follow the conversation and lash out w/sarcastic statements in an attempt to make another poster look bad. I don't have to ask if you love that, do I?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Misinformation x 2. Nice attempt....we all applaud you.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Like what you typed, BUT again, just an opinion, unless you have the plan.....sure like spending some money on O Line, and mostly young enough guys....Erving better have gotten the message...put up or you could be GONE.....wish there was SOME news on Pryor, wonder if he's had ANY contact...GUESS his number was WAY OFF his real value....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
If Sashi Brown can't get Terrell Pryor signed after a year, he needs to be fired.

Sashi is overpaying every free agent to sign with Cleveland yet he refuses to pay market value for Pryor.

Signing Kenny Britt just means that Cory Coleman will be the shoe-in for the #1 wr position, instead of Pryor.

I hope I'm wrong, but imo, Sashi never wanted Pryor because he overshadowed Coleman...Sashi's 1st round draft pick in the first draft that he was a NFL GM would never be a #1 WR with Pryor on the team.

Wait and see who is listed as the Browns #1 for the first regular season game of 2017...it won't be Britt, imo.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
If Sashi Brown can't get Terrell Pryor signed after a year, he needs to be fired.

Sashi is overpaying every free agent to sign with Cleveland yet he refuses to pay market value for Pryor.

Signing Kenny Britt just means that Cory Coleman will be the shoe-in for the #1 wr position, instead of Pryor.

I hope I'm wrong, but imo, Sashi never wanted Pryor because he overshadowed Coleman...Sashi's 1st round draft pick in the first draft that he was a NFL GM would never be a #1 WR with Pryor on the team.

Wait and see who is listed as the Browns #1 for the first regular season game of 2017...it won't be Britt, imo.

Let's see Sashi signed Bitino, Collins, Britt, Tretter, and Zeitler. He negotiated with Houston to take Osweiler and his salary AND Houston's 2nd round pick next year.

Yet, in your eyes, Sashi should be fired because he did not sign Pryor.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
bugs...spending all this money, yet can't find the money to sign his top wr, a 1000 yd wr?

Explain that to everyone...

M
Legend
Legend
M

You forgot a Harvard slur. . . .

So - the Browns have the best offer on the table for Pryor. But the fact that Pryor hasn't signed it yet is the fault of the FO.

Genius.

M
Legend
Legend
M
bugs...spending all this money, yet can't find the money to sign his top wr, a 1000 yd wr?

They did. They have. $8 mill per.

Legend
Legend
What the heck would they sign that chump for?

He's a nobody.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
Legend
Legend
A

Did Pryor sign somewhere else?

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

arch...did the Browns sign Pryor already?

Legend
Legend
Eric Galko‏Verified account @ OptimumScouting

Update on # Browns draft picks:
2017 - 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6
2018 - 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7
11 picks EACH in next 2 drafts

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The relevant fact is whether or not he is on the market. So arch asked a valid question.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

If they can make those picks count, these Harvard boys just might be giving the NFL an education.

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

SOMEBODY FIRE SASHI IMMEDIATELY !!!!!!

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

He's a nobody.

rofl...our new QB might like a big target...

Legend
Legend

He's a nobody.

Like Kenny Britt?

Genius!
BOOM! This FO is pretty good.

Browns is the Browns

L
Legend
Legend
L

He's a nobody.

he has 3 of them.. Britt, devalve, and barnidge

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
A
Legend
Legend
A

No.

Did Pryor sign somewhere else? I hadn't heard that if so.

Does seem to me Pryor's agent perceived value is dropping, wouldn't you agree?

Reports have the Browns with the best offer on the table, for Pryor, would you agree?

Or would you have just put $12 mil a year out there for him right up front?

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Front Office...continued

Link Copied to Clipboard