Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:
we gave up a 4th this year.

The Browns 4th..is the same value as a late round
3rd....that is not chicken feed, folks.

It was the 36th pick in the fourth round. Try again.

Did you go to Harvard? Maths and Football don't mix.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I read somewhere that we swapped compensatory picks; we get Osweiler and his contract, their 2nd next year, and their 6th round comp pick this year, they get much needed cap room and our 4th round comp pick this year.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Quote:
we gave up a 4th this year.

The Browns 4th..is the same value as a late round
3rd....that is not chicken feed, folks.

It was the 36th pick in the fourth round. Try again.

Did you go to Harvard? Maths and Football don't mix.

LOL....those dastardly Harvard boys!!!!

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Originally Posted By: savagedawgs
Again

spotrac
@spotrac

#Texans eat $9M in dead cap, #Browns take on a fully GTD $16M salary in 2017, then $18M , & $17M thru 2019 (non GTD) twitter.com/AdamSchefter/s…

Don't take this as fact, but someone on facebook is saying that we got Brock and his contract and a 2nd rounder (not sure what year) and we gave up a 4th this year. Again, that was a guy who said he was a denver fan and said that Brock O was very slow to release the ball.

Elway sure cried like a baby when he beat feet to Houston.. I guess we'll see.

A little late to the party, bro!

Didn't have time to read the whole thread.. So if I missed it, I beg your pardon..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Legend
Legend
A
You don't read threads before you post?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

WOW,,, I was posting what I saw on facebook,, And no, I didn't read the entire thread first... I warned everyone not to take it as gospel..

What the hell else do you want?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
C
Legend
Legend
C

WOW,,, I was posting what I saw on facebook,, And no, I didn't read the entire thread first... I warned everyone not to take it as gospel..

Well now we all think we traded for Osweiler?

What are you going to do to fix this?

N
Rookie
Rookie
N
If the Browns saw Brock as a piece of their plan, they would have an announcement on their website or twitter by now.

I can understand why Zeitler isn't up yet....he may not have taken pen to paper yet. However, the OW deal is done.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Actually I feel that if you're unhappy with the way they treated the Schwartz deal, this deal may make you happy. I'm not really disappointed with the deal depending on how it all shakes out. Now if they decide to put their eggs in the Brock basket, I'll be pizzed off. If it's a leverage deal and they find a way to trade Brock off, I'll be more excited about it.

But I think you have to admit, those who made excuses for not re-signing Schwartz because of cap money, surely shouldn't be two faced and support this. They can't have it both ways Bud.

I agree with that 100% Pit .. no argument from me on the hypocritical/ 2 faced BS ... it permeates the place ... and they don't even know it ..

A
Legend
Legend
A

What the hell else do you want?

Out of you? Nothing.

However, I most often read a thread PRIOR to posting in it to make sure any news that I have that I feel might be "breaking news" wasn't covered, like 3 pages earlier.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Legend
Legend
Mary Kay Cabot‏Verified account @MaryKayCabot

I'm told #Patriots would likely want #Browns No. 1 overall this yr & prob 1st in '18 for Jimmy. 12+ prob won't do it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

I'm told #Patriots would likely want #Browns No. 1 overall this yr & prob 1st in '18 for Jimmy. 12+ prob won't do it

If this is true (and it probably isn't). Then the Patriots really, really don't want to trade Garoppolo.

Legend
Legend
They're not getting 2 first, let alone #1 and they know it.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Forget that.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Let's see how good BB is at cap management next offseason....no doubt he'll pull something out of some hat...

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: drobs
Let's see how good BB is at cap management next offseason....no doubt he'll pull something out of some hat...

They'll franchise him and trade him then.

N
Rookie
Rookie
N
I see it's now up there, but not on the front page. It's Bitonio. The announcement talks more about the joy of having the pick before it mentions Brock.

mac #1243049 03/09/17 06:47 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I think it has a lot to do with some posters talking out both sides of their mouths. lmao

You worry about who was "right" and who was "wrong" and who said this or whatever.

I'm ganna enjoy the show. Because I don't care, as long as we win.

that...and you are not different than a majority of Browns fans who simply "follow", believing that being a billionaire and a harvard grad means you are smart enough to own an nfl franchise..and be the gm of the same nfl franchise.

Weren't you the one begging for o-line help?

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
For the record my take on the Schwartz......

#1150325 - 09/06/16 10:30 AM Re: The Browns Front Office....still not ready for prime time..(imo) [Re: mgh888]
BigWillieStyle Online content

Dawg Talker

Loc: Mississippi
I read that as the Browns offered 7 million a year, and Swartz wanted to test the market. He came back to the Browns wanting to accept the original offer and the Browns for some inexplicable reason pulled the offer.

Sorry this is a bad move by the FO. I don't agree with mac often, but he is right on this one....the Browns blew it on Swartz. I think they had zero shot in retaining Mack, but Swartz wanted to test FA and see what he could get, and the Browns were somehow offended by that and let a young pretty good RT go for nothing.

It was a horrible decision then, and is a horrible decision still.....no way to sugar coat it.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
They made a mistake with swartz. We all agree on that. Looks like they learned from their mistake though so let's all get over it.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Don't you think there was a little something else involved...btw I have stated that I thought it was a mistake by our FO...but it didn't make sense to me unless Schwartz burnt the bridge with us somehow.

No biggy now - we have moved on and I love what we are doing now.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
Off the top of my head, I don't recall anyone arguing for letting Schwartz go on the basis of cap hit. It was more along the lines of how it all went down, and them not agreeing on how good Schwartz actually was.

As for myself, I don't think we'll ever know the whole story regarding how all that went down. The decision to pull the offer seemed so petty (and still does), that I think there's more to it than we heard.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Back to Brock...if they don't find a trading partner for BO, I don't see an issue with seeing what we have in him. He has to beat out RG3 and Kessler, right? Is it beyond believable that he could be better than either of them?

I think there is a huge negative stigma attached to him because he wasn't worth that huge contract. That doesn't necessarily make him worthless. I don't see him as the long term answer, but isn't it possible he can be the short term answer?

(I really don't know much about him, other than he did a decent job in Denver, then didn't live up to his contract in Houston.)

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
O
Legend
Legend
O
I agree, but let's see if someone wants to trade for him...

:-)

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Osweiler was one of the worst QBs in NFL history last year. He refused to throw the ball downfield (despite having Nuke Hopkins and Will Fuller) and didn't take care of the ball.

I'd rather start Griffin and Griffin is horrible.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Browns get creative with cap space in Brock Osweiler trade

Pat McManamonESPN Staff Writer

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-brown...-osweiler-trade

The Cleveland Browns sent the NFL world fluttering for a brief moment on Thursday when it was announced they were acquiring quarterback Brock Osweiler in a trade with Houston.

Just as quickly as the noise started, it quieted — because the Browns true intentions quickly became known. They were given a second-round pick to accept the $16 million in guaranteed money Osweiler is due.

For the Browns, this was about getting that second-round pick, their third, in the 2018 draft.

It was a smart way to use the salary cap space, a smart way to get a second-round pick and a good way to stockpile more picks to build a roster that needs as many players as it can find.

Terms: Only one matters here — Osweiler is due $16 million in guaranteed salary this season.

Grade: A. A team with more than $100 million in cap room can afford to absorb $16 million. It's not consequential, but it is manageable. The trade essentially is draft picks. Houston gave up a second-round pick in 2018 and a sixth-round pick in 2017 for Cleveland's 2017 fourth-round pick, the 142nd overall. That's a win for the Browns — and they can make it better if they can somehow trade Osweiler for yet another draft pick, even if they have to agree to pay part of Osweiler's salary.

What it means: The Browns are loaded in draft picks the next two years. Adding a third second-round pick in 2018 means the Browns will have 10 picks in the first and second rounds in the drafts in 2016, '17 and 18. They have to get them right, but that should position a building team well.

What's the risk: Hard to see any. Osweiler isn't the Browns' long-term answer, so he will probably be elsewhere in 2017. The draft picks can be used to select more players, or to make a trade, which the Browns did when they acquired linebacker Jamie Collins. There isn't a team in the league that would turn down second- and sixth-round picks for a fourth-round choice.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
I wouldn't call this move "brilliant" At least not yet. This FO has proven they can stock up on draft picks. What they haven't proven is if they can turn draft picks into talented players that can win games. If none of the moves they made today translate into wins, then it doesn't matter how many picks they acquire.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Squires
I wouldn't call this move "brilliant" At least not yet. This FO has proven they can stock up on draft picks. What they haven't proven is if they can turn draft picks into talented players that can win games. If none of the moves they made today translate into wins, then it doesn't matter how many picks they acquire.

The trades are one thing. The picks are a different thing. The trade is good. We don't know about the pick(s).

V
Legend
Legend
V
If the Browns want to trade Osweiler, I wish Sashi wouldn't have talked about how much he coveted the second round draft pick and the other source saying something about BO not being on the roster.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
If the Browns want to trade Osweiler, I wish Sashi wouldn't have talked about how much he coveted the second round draft pick and the other source saying something about BO not being on the roster.

I don't think that hurts them in this case.

Teams are going to know how we feel about him as soon as we start entertaining trade offers anyway. If anything, it gets GM's thinking that there is a potentially cheap QB out there.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Well even if they just throw darts onto a board if they have more darts then at least there is a higher chance of landing a bullseye here and there. 3-5 players from any draft is a good draft. Hoping the higher picks are some of the 3-5 but there is no guarantees.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

There's a reason.

I'm being told that regardless of who takes Osweiler. We are on the hook for his 16M Minus whatever he signs for. We release him he's a FA.

This was a superb move and lit the NFL up. I love it.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Squires

The trades are one thing. The picks are a different thing. The trade is good. We don't know about the pick(s).

Agreed. I like this trade, and beyond that, I like the concept of the trade. Draft picks and cap space are both assets and there's no reason why teams shouldn't manage them as such. NBA teams do it regularly. The Browns highly value picks and have plenty of cap space-- this trade makes sense for them. If the Texans really need the cap space, it may very well be a good trade for them as well.

If this type of trade becomes more common in the NFL, I wonder what the equilibrium will be. The draft value chart does a decent enough job of comparing the value of picks to other picks. What is the draft pick value of x million dollars*?

*Arguably percentage of salary cap would be a better reference point than dollars in an absolute sense, but I'm probably getting ahead of myself now.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I don't know guys if we are on the hook for his salary either way why not make him the 3rd stringer with a chance to earn it. I mean he is a big physical QB with a strong arm. Maybe Hue could develop him. We don't lose anything if he doesn't. I wouldn't hand him anything mind you but nothing wrong with letting him compete. I bet he would have a hell of a chip on his shoulder right now to prove himself.

Legend
Legend
Because a team willing to pay part of his salary AND give us a draft pick means we get a draft pick and only have to pay a portion of his salary.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
V
Legend
Legend
V
On the way back from Charleston last night, Sage Rosenhuas [former NFL qb] was a guest on one of the radio shows. He was talking about a variety of topics and he came across as a really smart guy.

He was talking about Osweiler and he brought up a good point. He said that Osweiler's offense under Kubiak was fairly easy for a qb to digest and that O'Brien's offense in Houston [which he brought from NE] was really complex and asked a lot more from the QB than the one he ran in Denver.

He went on to say that most qbs would struggle w/that transition during their first year.

So, there's that.....

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Because a team willing to pay part of his salary AND give us a draft pick means we get a draft pick and only have to pay a portion of his salary.

I'm fine with that too but if we can't trade him and will end up paying him anyways then we might as well kick the tires a bit. It's not like we have a genuine starter at QB atm.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
That's a very interesting point. what if the browns could get an average QB and a second round pick out of the deal?

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
omg i will puke if this is true ...

Why? It was a brilliant move.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Brock TO cleveland

Link Copied to Clipboard