Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
I love some of the Twitter stuff:

Ian Kenyon‏Verified account @IanKenyonNFL 3h3 hours ago
More
Cleveland Browns should get a $16 million trade exception.

rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just went over to Walter Football to check out the grades on are FA signings...

http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php

Browns acquire QB Brock Osweiler, 2018 2nd-round pick, 2017 6th-round pick for 2017 4th-round pick
Wow, I don't ever recall seeing anything like this in the NFL. It happens all the time in the NBA, where one team sends a highly paid player and a draft pick to another franchise for cap relief, but this doesn't happen in football. It's prevalent in basketball because of guaranteed contracts, but the Texans effectively had to pay $16 million to Osweiler no matter what. Well, not anymore. They're completely off the hook.

I actually think this is a fantastic trade for both teams. For the Texans, they now have the cap space to either sign or trade for Tony Romo. Osweiler was a complete failure, and they already admitted that they made a mistake by benching him in favor of Tom Savage. I like that they're getting rid of him and just admitting that he's a sunk cost. That's the smart thing to do rather than to stubbornly keep him around. Sure, it has cost them a second-round pick in 2018, but if that means getting Romo and competing for the Super Bowl this year, then it's worth it.

As for the Browns, they had the most cap space in the NFL entering free agency, so they can afford to have Osweiler hang out for a year for $16 million. And for a second-round pick in a loaded 2018 draft class? Why not? On top of that, perhaps the Browns will be able to develop Osweiler. He was once considered a promising quarterback, and he's only 26. Perhaps he'll amount to something. And if not, well, the Browns can just cut him next spring and not worry about it.

Grade for Browns - A+
Grade for Texans - A

Browns sign c J.C. Tretter (3 years, $16.5 million): A Grade
This signing occurred Thursday morning, but it snuck by me, which is why I hadn't posted a grade for it until now. I wish I didn't have Cleveland fans wait so long because it's a great move.

The Browns, despite losing, were competitive early in 2016. They took the Dolphins to overtime; were up 20-2 versus Baltimore; and had a lead on the Redskins in the fourth quarter. Things changed in the second half of the season, however, once they sustained so many injuries to their offensive line. Now with Kevin Zeitler and J.C. Tretter in the lineup, the Browns will have one of the top offensive fronts in the NFL if they can find a capable right tackle.

Good offensive line play is more important than ever in the post-CBA NFL, and that's one of the reasons I'm giving the Browns an "A" for this signing. Another reason is because Tretter is so cheap. Aside from Nick Mangold, he was the best center available, and while I don't expect him to play as well outside of Green Bay's system, I still expect him to be a massive upgrade over the anemic Cameron Erving.

Browns sign G Kevin Zeitler (5 years, $60M; $31.5M guaranteed): B Grade
The Browns screwed up royally earlier in the day when they overpaid for Kenny Britt. It's nice to see them make amends with this signing.

Kevin Zeitler is now the highest-paid guard in the NFL. It's well deserved, as he was a five-star player listed in the Top 100 NFL Free Agent Rankings. Zeitler is terrific in every blocking aspect, and he's only 27. He'll theoretically been playing on an extremely high level throughout the duration of this contract.

My one concern with this signing is that Zeitler is going from a perennial playoff contender to a horrible organization, so money is his primary motivation. However, there are some counter points. The first one is his age; unlike Calais Campbell (see below), Zeitler is in his prime and will continue to be so for the next four or five years. Second, the offensive line market is a very weak one, so teams will have to overpay. Offensive line play is more important than ever in the post-CBA NFL, and Cleveland has added a tremendous blocker. And third, the Browns are stealing a very valuable member from a divisional rival. That has to count for something.

I can't give an "A" to a big-money contract like this, but I think the Browns deserve a "B." They had the most cap space in the league, and unlike the Britt signing, they're spending their money wisely in this situation.

Browns extend G Joel Bitonio (5 years, $51M; $23M guaranteed): A Grade
We just had another guard signing, so let's put the two contracts side by side:

Joel Bitonio: 5 years, $51M; $23M guaranteed
Ronald Leary: 4 years, $35M; $20M guaranteed

Bitonio is making slightly more per year at $10.2 million compared to Leary's $8.8 million. The guaranteed money is nearly the same as well. With that in mind, the Browns have to be heavily praised for this contract. Bitonio is one of the top guards in the NFL. He's only 25, and he's been a force for them thus far when healthy. The Browns have lost so many talented players in recent years, so watching Bitonio depart would've been crushing.

This may seem like a lot of money for a guard who has gotten hurt often the past two years, and in a vacuum, I have to believe it is. However, the Browns have more cap space than any team in the NFL, and they need to make sure that they keep their few remaining talented players. Also, the 2017 NFL Draft is weak on the offensive line, so it's not like Cleveland could acquire anyone to replace Bitonio. As a result of this, I'm giving the Browns a rare "A" grade.

Browns sign WR Kenny Britt (4 years, $32.5 million): MILLEN A DAY WITHOUT KIELBASA Grade
When I saw the details of this contract, I imagined Matt Millen resting in a seedy massage parlor somewhere. As he prepared to have a young, 100-percent USDA Man penetrate his backside with a kielbasa, another individual walked into the room and informed him that the Browns have paid $32.5 million to Kenny Britt. Millen then got up and told the young, 100-percent USDA Man to go away. There will be no kielbasas today, as issuing this sort of contract is something Millen has always dreamt of.

This might just be the worst signing of the offseason. I'm not exaggerating; it's that bad. Britt has an extensive history of being injured, slacking off and dropping passes. He finally got his act together last season, but as it so happened, it was his contract year. Britt will now be fat and happy again, and it'll be absolutely shocking if he puts forth anything close to 100 percent into his game.

It's quite obvious that Britt is set to mail it in. He signed with the Browns, a team with no hope and no quarterback. NFL players go to Cleveland to die, and Britt's career will be the latest casualty. If Britt cared about being a good football player, he would've signed with a team that had a quarterback. Instead, he's chasing money. This really echoes the 49ers' signing of Torrey Smith a couple of years ago, except Smith hadn't shown a tendency to slack off prior to joining San Francisco.

This is the easiest grade I've ever given. There are no ands, ifs or buts. This is an "F" (Millen) grade, and there's no disputing it.

I normally don't put a lot of faith in Walt's grades because everything is an extreme with this guy, but he seems pretty happy with everything but the Britt signing.

I had not heard about Britt tending to slack off before. I always thought that he was Fisher's guy and a big team guy. I hope this signing doesn't bite us in the butt.

Legend
Legend
I agree with everything he said .... including Britt. He stinks

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I was just thinking about the front office, and the movie "Major League" ...... with people saying "These guys ain't so ....... bad".

Right about now I would have to say .... These guys ain't too bad .... at least today. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I was just thinking about the front office, and the movie "Major League" ...... with people saying "These guys ain't so ....... bad".

Right about now I would have to say .... These guys ain't too bad .... at least today. wink

+1 thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
After watching Brock up close all of last year I about lost it when I heard the Browns traded for him.... Thankfully after reading the details I have come down from the ledge a bit... Unless hue is a true QB whisperer I'm hoping this guy will be dropped or traded by end of camp... Kid doesn't have a great QB IQ

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I was hoping he'd be traded already.

Let's keep this party moving.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
I hyave no idea why these guys have stopped. I hope that they aren't just gonna say "we had a good day 1, so now we can slack from tonight on". rofl

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I hyave no idea why these guys have stopped. I hope that they aren't just gonna say "we had a good day 1, so now we can slack from tonight on". rofl

Other than TP and that safety they were bidding on I don't see much more that they can do. We know they want JImmy G. but we also know the patriots are not serious about trading him, at least for now anyways, so all we can do really is wait.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mac
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
bugs...spending all this money, yet can't find the money to sign his top wr, a 1000 yd wr?

Explain that to everyone...

Did Pryor sign somewhere else?

arch...did the Browns sign Pryor already?

Go away mac.....your drivel is getting old. You keep repeating yourself.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns

Other than TP and that safety they were bidding on I don't see much more that they can do. We know they want JImmy G. but we also know the patriots are not serious about trading him, at least for now anyways, so all we can do really is wait.

Oh, they can't stop now. Today was .... decent ... but unless they do better tomorrow, I'll be really ticked off. rofl rofl rofl

L
Legend
Legend
L
Hope we add Hankins, I'm fine moving on from Pryor, not like we lose production with him leaving, we actually gain some

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
bugs...spending all this money, yet can't find the money to sign his top wr, a 1000 yd wr?

It's comical reading your stuff about this. Thanks. Much needed after a long ass day.

1000 yards. 77 catches. 5 a game. 60 yards.

Sign em up. 12 a year. Woohoo.

All Pro
All Pro

Mac, I love you. I love that you are never taken in by a popular opinion and are not afraid to go against the grain to make others think. In this case, have you compared the production of Britt vs Pryor. When looking at the numbers Britt looks like the better bet with more catches over 20 yards. How many times did Pryor get the ball in his hands on the edge and take two steps back before trying to move forward last season? Where is the difference you see in each player's ceiling, considering they are both the same age?

---------------------------------------------------------

#gmstrong

We are not called on to be successful. We are called on to be faithful.
O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
One thing is for sure.

Those who had an agenda that we weren't willing to spend money really have to revise their focus for the future.

We spent a boatload of dough today.

Overpaid for Britt, Bitonio, Zeitler, and we're making 16 million rain to watch Brock on a pole in a speedo.

That's a LOT of dough!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
One thing is for sure.

Those who had an agenda that we weren't willing to spend money really have to revise their focus for the future.

One thing for sure.

Those who had an agenda and said it was stupid to spend money in FA really have to revise their spin now.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Gents,
I do not know how ANY BROWNS FAN can be upset about today!!.. This was a day that i have dreamed about for 10 years... aka.. the Browns front office made some good choices today. All this talk about cap room for years and we FINALLY spend it wisely!!

You can talk about K.Britt but if we add or have another piece in the WR corps, we will be good. Pryor will want to get paid the skins will give him BIG MONEY after how bad their day was. The Skins have to save face and pay Pryor big to get him.

Today was a day that I can smile about. Now unlike most folks, I don't want Garappolo because I do not see NE trading away the Brady replacement. No way!.. I think Jimmy looks good in the NE system, not anyone else's. But I will sit back and watch and maybe even watch the draft this year.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One thing for sure...

I forgot what it was, but I'll eventually think of it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Urgent message to the front office - kill the rumors and get away from this stupid Garoppolo talk. For a front office that has proved now over the last 2 years that they are hell bent on accumulating draft picks and building through the draft, the insane talk and/or rumors about packaging multiple picks (some including multiple 1st round picks) for a player that has less on field and starting experience than Kessler is just insane!

This year you have made moves that will strengthen the Browns in a way us fans have not seen in years. With 11 picks (subject to change if opportunities exist) the Browns can actually pick, IMHO, 10 defensive players and a stud RB starting with DE Garrett and RB Fournette in the first round.

The QB situation needs to be addressed but 2018 offers a better franchise QB draft opportunity in Rosen from UCLA or Falk from Washington St. As it stands right now, Osweiler is an upgrade over what the Browns currently have - fact. The Browns still have a golden opportunity to get established vets Cutler or Romo as a 2-year bridge until your 2018 QB pick is ready. Either player is better than what you have or what you can get - especially when considering Garoppolo. There is no gamble on what you get with these 2 vets either. Both are established, can make all the throws, can read defenses, have the size, and are proven commodities of which none of the others on your roster, can trade for or draft this year can bring to the table. The only viable issue might be durability but can you guarantee any others wouldn't get hurt? If you're going to pay 16 million a year for a player - pay a vet that can help you win now and tutor your true franchise QB of the future.

Front office, make the smart move, keep your picks and get a bridge QB until you can draft a true possible franchise QB in 2018!

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
First - Romo would never come to a team that is trying to rebuild. He has a year or two left in the tank. No way he comes here.

Second - Cutler does not take of the ball. And there are so many reports of him just being an ass and difficult to be around. He is a proven commodity, but what he has proven is not what we want or need. This would be an absolutely bad move. And a gamble. Even if we cut RG3 to clear the skillion gajillion dollars in cap space.

No one knows if there is a franchise guy coming out 2018. That's just speculation. Maybe there is, maybe not. But stating that before the 2017 draft means nothing.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Wow this guy did not like Britt...lol laugh

Probably some truth in there but also not as bad. Hue has been able to get players to work hard. And its possible we have not closed the door on Pryor and there is the other possibility that we got Gordon as well. wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I liked what you were saying until you got to Rosen and Falk.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Olskool711
One thing is for sure.

We spent a boatload of dough today.

Overpaid for Britt, Bitonio, Zeitler, and we're making 16 million rain to watch Brock on a pole in a speedo.

That's a LOT of dough!

Many just hate the fact that I'm not an easy, instant sell for every deal the front office makes.

Got to looking into the deals the Harvard boys made yesterday and I wonder how many of cheerleaders realized that Tretter has had injury issues his entire/short nfl career?

...matter of fact, Tret had surgery on his knee in Jan and there is no date of return established for him.

What could go wrong...your free agent center coming off of knee surgery.

...that is just one example...

Yet we have some cheerleaders who are so in love that they condemn me for not jumping on to their bandwagon instantly.

Then there is the issue that won't go away for the Harvard boys...their inability to re-sign our own free agents.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
a kenny britt story...

Scouts: Eagles probably fortunate Kenny Britt signed with Browns

Mark Eckel | For NJ Advance Media
on March 09, 2017 at 10:02 AM, updated March 09, 2017 at 5:10 PM
link
If three personnel men from around the league are right, the Eagles may have dodged a bullet when former Rutgers standout Kenny Britt signed with the Cleveland Browns.

Britt, 6-3, 215, was linked to the Eagles, but signed a four-year, $32.5 million deal with the Browns, on Thursday, the first day of NFL free agency, according to reports. He'll turn 29 in September.

Last season with the Rams, Britt had his best season, with 68 receptions for 1,002 yards and three touchdowns.

"He's coming off his best season and he didn't exactly have great quarterback play out there in L.A.,'' said one NFL scout, who requested to remain anonymous because he was not authorized to speak on the subject. "He has some good physical tools, always has, but he's been so darn inconsistent. Maybe, he's finally put it all together. That would be good for him. But I just don't know if you can rely on him."

It's uncertain how seriously the Eagles were interest in Britt, the first first-round pick from Rutgers.

"We didn't like him," said another scout, whose team was looking closely at receivers. "He doesn't make a lot of plays. And he's had problems with drops.''

Britt, however, dropped just three passes last year, which would have been best among the Eagles' receivers.

Britt has had some problems off the field. He's been arrested nine times, mostly for driving offenses. The most serious situation came in June of 2011 in Hoboken when he was cited for resisting arrest, tampering with evidence and obstruction. The charges however, were later reduced.

"He's average, nothing special,'' a third personnel man said. "There's some off the field stuff there, too, that kind of scares you.''

Most of Britt's troubles occurred between 2010 and 2012 when he played for the Titans. Since he signed with the Rams as a free agent in 2014, he's been clean.

Legend
Legend
to be honest, I really, really liked the OL signing yesterday ... and HATED the Britt signing

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
to be honest, I really, really liked the OL signing yesterday ... and HATED the Britt signing

I think the Britt signing is extremely solid... if we're not going to rely on him as a #1. He'd make for a great #2 WR.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

I think the Britt signing is extremely solid... if we're not going to rely on him as a #1. He'd make for a great #2 WR.
So would Coleman be our #1? or our #3? (did we really waste a mid 1st round pick on a 3rd WR??)

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Making the Bengals OG, Kevin Zeitler the highest paid OG in the NFL...I'm not sure when he achieved elete status "on the field" or if he ever has?...but let's hope he is that good...

Signing Bitonio was a good move...if he can stay healthy.

The center signing...Tretter has an injury history that makes this deal a bit of a risk. No way would I consider the Browns center problem fixed.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

So would Coleman be our #1? or our #3? (did we really waste a mid 1st round pick on a 3rd WR??)

As of now, Coleman is not #1 in my eyes and there's no one on our current roster deserving of that.

I'm not saying Corey is a bust either. He was held back by injuries and etc, but from what I saw of him playing last year - I wouldn't give him that responsibility. Not yet anyway.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:

BINGO, we have a winner!

Would Cory Coleman be the Browns #1 wr if the Harvard boys re-signed Terrelle Pryor?

Believe it or not, that was likely a factor the analytics boys considered, not re-signing Pryor.

Believe what you want, but Pryor would have likely been our QBs go to guy, overshadowing the Harvard boys very first draft pick, ever.

Now the deck has been stacked in Coleman's favor...you can't make this stuff up.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
Wow this guy did not like Britt...lol laugh

Probably some truth in there but also not as bad. Hue has been able to get players to work hard. And its possible we have not closed the door on Pryor and there is the other possibility that we got Gordon as well. wink

still with gordon? lmao

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
As of now, Coleman is not #1 in my eyes and there's no one on our current roster deserving of that.

I'm not saying Corey is a bust either. He was held back by injuries and etc, but from what I saw of him playing last year - I wouldn't give him that responsibility. Not yet anyway.

LB...I have to thank you for having the guts to speak the truth about why the Harvard boys refused to resign Pryor.

I pointed this fact out yesterday, now you can take the heat for supporting my viewpoint with "the truth".

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
I'm not saying Corey is a bust either.

LB...the Harvard boys don't want Coleman to be labeled a "bust"...but he may very well be.

Last year when the Browns drafted Coleman, I read that one scout said their team had Coleman listed a a 2nd round talent.

How the Browns ever become a winner with a front office that pulls crap like signing Britt, because they know he would be fine with the #2 wr slot and giving lil Cory the best shot at being the #1.

The Harvard bunch nor this owner would ever admit it and many on this message board will refuse to even consider it...had Pryor been resigned, he would have overshadowed the front office's first draft pick.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

LB...I have to thank you for having the guts to speak the truth about why the Harvard boys refused to resign Pryor.

I pointed this fact out yesterday, now you can take the heat for supporting my viewpoint with "the truth".

Where are you getting "refused" from?

As far as I can tell, they are still trying to sign him.

They offered him the most money according to "multiple sources".

It'd be great to have him back, but I think TP is over rated a little bit. He's a great athlete, but I'm not sure he will improve as much as some people think. He'd still be nice to have, but I worry about the mental side/details a bit. The assumption is that he's new to the position and will therefore improve. I'm not sure if it will be that straightforward.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Legend
Legend
D
This was the reply I was about to type up, but thanks for saving the keystrokes.

Mac, it takes two sides to get the job done and the deal finalized. As stated, as much as I can gather is we've offered him the most. One side has completed their end, it's up to the other side. I know you're out for blood, i've been reading the posts, but dude - it does indeed take two sides to get a deal done. There's nothing, no evidence at all, to support we're refusing t resign him.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Quote:

Now the deck has been stacked in Coleman's favor...you can't make this stuff up.

Technically, you're just making it up.....

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Would Cory Coleman be the Browns #1 wr if the Harvard boys re-signed Terrelle Pryor?

Believe it or not, that was likely a factor the analytics boys considered, not re-signing Pryor.

Believe what you want, but Pryor would have likely been our QBs go to guy, overshadowing the Harvard boys very first draft pick, ever.

Now the deck has been stacked in Coleman's favor... you can't make this stuff up.

Yet, you just did! rofl

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Just stating the possibility as Gordon tweeted praised the lord for 2nd chances or something like that.

I said possibility. I said Pryor still signing was a possibility.

I also will say Hue has so far gotten his players to work hard and go for it.

I will say Al Saunders is an excellent WR coach.

I don't understand your statement and laughter???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
They were just examples and have better numbers than those coming out this year. S. Darnold from USC is probably the best possibility at 6'5" and 222 completing 67.2% of his passes in 2016, He represents the big type QB the AFC North requires.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Listening to 850am on the radio ... man I don't like Hammer. But Chris Rose called in and is absolutely demolishing Hammer's "opinion" !! Love it.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Front Office...continued

Link Copied to Clipboard