Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
I understand your position Pit but I just think this kid will be something special and would hate to see him playing elsewhere ...

Why do you think he will be special?

Just a feeling, I have watched him since he played at mentor and watched him at NC I just have a good feeling about him ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well it's great that you "have a feeling", but history dictates this wouldn't be a smart move. I tried to take my feelings out of drafting a long time ago and look at the facts and draft history.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not the one drafting him ... superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Well it's great that you "have a feeling", but history dictates this wouldn't be a smart move. I tried to take my feelings out of drafting a long time ago and look at the facts and draft history.

I think draft history of QBs can be thrown out the window.

1. QBs are coming out earlier than before. So the GOLDEN 3 year starter or 40 starts rule is out the window.

2. The Spread one read offenses have taken over College football. Its hard to figure out who are the pretenders and who are the real deals via stats over whatever period of time.

There is only one way to evaluate QBs now and that is on their Technique and football intelligence as well as how Hue puts it. Arm...something, crap I forgot what he says...lol laugh

I think this is a new era of College QBs and their evaluations. So you can throw that 98-2% out the window. Lets just hope Hue gets it right fingerscrossed

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
I always hope our FO and coaching staff gets it right. I mean I'm as tired or more of seeing our team lose as anyone else. So no matter who is in the drivers seat, I always hope for the best. Because I don't really care who makes our team successful as long as it happens.

And to an extent, I do agree with you. I do believe the three years, 40 starts model is outdated. It's also almost impossible to find true pocket QB's from an NFL style O anymore.

Where we disagree is that 13 starts is the new model. I actually advocated we draft Wentz last year after only 23 starts. But that's within 3 games of having double the starts as Mtrub has.

Somewhere there has to be a threshold of minimum experience to give you a body of evidence. The only real place that we disagree is that I don't believe that 13 starts meets that threshold.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
All I'm saying Pit.
Accuracy, Arm Strength, Processing/Football Intelligence over rides the conditions that created Only 13 starts...Its not a new model. It just means you got to do your homework and be certain about the Important variables above not the variable of starts to disqualify a Prospect.

BB and this was a while ago...drafted a kid who never started an college game as he was a back up in college. Kessler and he got a couple of draft picks for him.

BB drafted a kid who started only 23 games who turned out to be the best NFL QB ever.

I understand the apprehension. But it is not a rule that should be automatic as long as you get enough data/film to make the proper evaluation as well as working with him enough to be sure. btw...any dates scheduled yet for visits???

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Once again, that kid BB drafted had 23 starts. Same as Wentz.

And where we disagree, yet again, is I do not believe that 13 games is enough to properly give you film/data to draft a kid in the top half of the first round. It's simply a difference of opinion that only time will sort out Bud.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Jon Gruden believes Mitchell Trubisky can handle Browns' hometown pressure and 'he'll be a real steal for somebody'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...art_river_index

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com on March 13, 2017 at 6:45 PM, updated March 14, 2017 at 4:51 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Jon Gruden spent Monday with Mitchell Trubisky in Orlando to film their "QB Camp'' segment and came away convinced the Mentor, Ohio, native could handle the pressure of playing for his hometown Browns.

"That would be fun to watch,'' Gruden said in an ESPN interview to promote his popular series, which begins next month. "He's from Mentor, Ohio, Mr. Football (in Ohio) that would be quite a story. I showed him a lot of tape today of Ben Roethlisberger.

"I showed him a little tape of Joe Flacco. World Champion quarterbacks in the AFC North, and the one thing the Cleveland Browns have not been able to solve is the quarterback and I think he could handle it. I also know that it would be a lot of pressure. They have to give him better support than they have right now, I know that.''

Gruden spent time with the North Carolina product on the field and in the meeting room, going over snaps counts and his film. The Browns have the No. 1 and No. 12 picks in the first round, and really like Trubisky.

"There's a lot to like,'' said Gruden. "He's a quick study, he learns fast, it's really important to him, he loves football and he's mature. He is a finisher at North Carolina. He never quit, he was a backup, he waited three years for his opportunity, and trust me, he's going to be a real steal for somebody.''

Gruden admitted, however, that Trubisky's 13 college starts send up a red flag.

"I'm concerned,'' he said. "I'm no different than a lot of coaches that say 'I want a three-year starter. I want a minimum of 24 victories. I want two bowl wins.' (But) I want a good quarterback. That's what I want. I got kicked out of the league because I had a hard time sustaining at the quarterback position. Trubiusky is one of the top quarterback prospects in this draft, period. I wish I had more to study but that's the way it is.''

As for Trubisky's almost exclusive experience in the spread and out of the shotgun, he said, "it's a transition for almost all of these college quarterbacks. You have to be able to recognize defenses on your own in pro football. You can't look to the sideline and read some board. You've got to recognize the defense on your own and then you've got to communicate to your offensive teammates what you want them to do.

"Then you have to put the ball in play with the snap count and after all is said and done you've got execute the play. But that's where these young quarterbacks today struggle the most with recognizing defenses and communicating with the offense and most importantly the snap count.''

The fact that Trubisky measured over 6-foot-2 at the NFL Combine wasn't as important to Trubisky as it was to Browns coach Hue Jackson and others. For Jackson, it marks his threshold for NFL success.

"Some of these analytical people can't make a draft pick unless all the measurables hold up,'' he said. "Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, there's a lot of quarterbacks that threw that out for me. I want a good player that's passionate about the game that's athletic, and I think Trubisky fits that mold for me personally.''

Gruden tutored Trubisky on how to bark out a hard count, but believes he'll be a quick study.

"He knows the North Carolina offense,'' said Gruden. "In fairness to him, that's all you can ask him to know right now. He understands that offense, the protections, the passing game, how the running game works at a very high level, and what we put in today, he picked up quickly.

"And you'll see when the show comes out, he's on the field with NFL players today, calling plays, audibling the plays and executing. He just needs somebody to spend time with him and teach him what they want done. But he is a sharp kid that can learn fast.''

In the segment, Gruden asks Trubisky how he's handling his sudden fame after sitting for two years at North Carolina.

"I think I'm handling it pretty well,'' he said. "It's kind of just funny to me. It's strange to see, but the media's going to take things and run with it and it's the way to make stories, but I just stick to my business and do what I've got to do week to week for the team to get better and it doesn't really mean much to me.''

The Browns interviewed Trubisky at the NFL Combine and will attend his Pro Day next week. They'll also conduct a private workout with him and bring him to Berea for a predraft visit. They're strongly considering him in the first round of the draft, although they're pretty well set on Texas A&M's Myles Garrett at No. 1 overall.

"There's going to be pressure pretty much everywhere you go,'' Trubisky said at the Combine. "There's exterior pressure, but there's not more pressure than the one I put on myself. I expect more out of myself than anybody else. That's kind of how I go about my business."

The other quarterbacks in the series are Clemson's Deshaun Watson, Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer, Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes, Tennessee's Joshua Dobbs, Miami's Brad Kaaya and Pittsburgh's Nathan Peterman.

"There's some unknowns this year, but this class starts with Deshaun Watson," Gruden said in a release announcing the participants last month. "His body of work is as impressive as any quarterback we've had come through 'QB Camp.' I got the chance to see him live, and I think he has a ton of ability.

"There are some underclassmen coming out who have questions that need to be answered. That's why this process is exciting. But three or four years from now, I expect people will be saying this is a pretty good quarterback class."

The series kicks off April 11 at 8:30 p.m. on ESPN2 with multiple showings leading up to the draft beginning April 27.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Gruden never a QB he didn't like.

And I'm sorry if I can't get excited about a kid with 13 starts and 16 fumbles.

#gmstrong
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: eotab

I think draft history of QBs can be thrown out the window.

1. QBs are coming out earlier than before. So the GOLDEN 3 year starter or 40 starts rule is out the window.

2. The Spread one read offenses have taken over College football. Its hard to figure out who are the pretenders and who are the real deals via stats over whatever period of time.

There is only one way to evaluate QBs now and that is on their Technique and football intelligence as well as how Hue puts it. Arm...something, crap I forgot what he says...lol laugh

I think this is a new era of College QBs and their evaluations. So you can throw that 98-2% out the window. Lets just hope Hue gets it right fingerscrossed

I still think the QB position is different. QB's must want to win, make history and elevate theire teams. That will prevent the good QBs from declaring too soon.

With Mitch the situation is different, he was a BACKUP.

Deshaun could have declared last year and would end up on top 3.

P
Legend
Legend
P
To me it simply proves how terribly desperate our fan base is to get a QB.

When people start to promote drafting a kid in the top half of the first round who has only had 13 starts, you have to know it's desperation.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Top half?

Some people want him #1 overall.

Even if there wasn't a guy like Garrett there. Still no.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
E
Legend
Legend
E
Pit and others...I heard the same thing last year about Wentz wink

Look fact is if the kid is THE GUY...then he is THE GUY regardless of first half, 13 starts whatever.

As stated as long as he becomes the real deal.

Anything regarding last years draft no where close to this years. With Garrett and other players.

I have no clue what we will do. I would love for us to get Garett and then Tribusky. If we end up with Tribusky first I hope we get somebody like Barnett at 12...
and some other impact guys in the 2nd.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt that college is a 3 and out for the cream players. You aren't going to have many Peyton Manning announcements that he is staying for his senior season.

Those day's are long gone.

I am not a big Vol fan by any means, but Manning not winning the Heisman was a joke. Especially to a defensive player.....the only defensive player to win,

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Once again, Wentz had 23 starts. Within 3 games of doubling Trub's starts.

When you draft players, the odds of success are considered. A kid with 13 starts certainly make the odds long.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

In watching Trubisky you can see what you want. You just can't see enough.

I guess if a player plays well in 13 games there would be no reason he couldn't have played as well if he had played in 23 games.

I don't think people have issue with what he has done. The question becomes can he develop into what we need?

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Originally Posted By: eotab
Pit and others...I heard the same thing last year about Wentz wink

Look fact is if the kid is THE GUY...then he is THE GUY regardless of first half, 13 starts whatever.

As stated as long as he becomes the real deal.

Anything regarding last years draft no where close to this years. With Garrett and other players.

I have no clue what we will do. I would love for us to get Garett and then Tribusky. If we end up with Tribusky first I hope we get somebody like Barnett at 12...
and some other impact guys in the 2nd.

jmho

I can't say Wentz is the guy when Cody had very similar stats.. just saying...

Legend
Legend

would you rather have Kessler or Wentz?

Legend
Legend
I rather have Deshaun Watson.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Clearly Wentz. But what about the picks we got and Kessler or Wentz? Probably still Wentz, but it makes it a tougher question to answer.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Once again, Wentz had 23 starts. Within 3 games of doubling Trub's starts.

When you draft players, the odds of success are considered. A kid with 13 starts certainly make the odds long.

By your logic then Bree's, Wilson and a bunch of other "short" QB's would NEVER be drafted ... there simply to small ... not a high enough chance of them succeeding .... according to u at least ...

I agree with what your saying Pit ... but I also know that ABSOLUTES don't apply here ... there's no way I'm letting the number of college starts a player has be the SOLE reason I don't draft him ... NO WAY ...

Not when I think that player is the best option ... NO WAY ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Just because someone is your best option at a given point in time, doesn't mean he's a good option.

And I've never said don't draft him. I've said if you draft him in the top 15 in this draft, you're overspending for a kid that lacks experience.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D

Just because someone is your best option at a given point in time, doesn't mean he's a good option.

And I've never said don't draft him. I've said if you draft him in the top 15 in this draft, you're overspending for a kid that lacks experience.

I'd take him over MG ... that's how GOOD of an option he is IMO ...

And he won't be there til 15 ... I'm guessing he's gone by 5 at the latest ...

Anyhow ... I made my point ... don't care to "haggle" over it right now ... *L*

P
Legend
Legend
P
Daniel Jeremiah has him rated as the #31 rated player in the draft. That's a lot closer to my opinion. I believe it's not worth haggling over either. I think we've both stated our positions.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Daniel Jeremiah has him rated as the #31 rated player in the draft. That's a lot closer to my opinion. I believe it's not worth haggling over either. I think we've both stated our positions.

U and I don't usually have a problem stating our positions ... *L* ...

E
Legend
Legend
E
yeah Wentz had 23 starts but the knock from posters last year was 23 starts in an inferior conference.

There was me and bonefish and a couple of others...that was it. Now everyone has changed their tune on that pick.

Well personally I think Mitch is a tad better than Wentz.

jmho - but that is me. I have professed that if Hue thinks THE GUY is Watson I'm on board, if its Mitch...I'm on board.

I'm hoping its Garrett #1 and Tribusky #12.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think you need to re look the situation. I promoted drafting Wentz myself. But once again he had 23 starts. There has to be some threshold. 13 is simply below my threshold and is not below yours. We simply disagree here. No big deal.

There's just no way I would invest in a weak QB class on a kid with only 13 starts anywhere in the top half of the 1st round. It seems like you would take make such a leap. We're just not going to agree on this and that's fine.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
We simply disagree here. No big deal.

I'm cool with that. Its when opposite opinions insist there is no way I could be correct.

Pit...its so freaking hard to evaluate the position. I think if I had a private workout and spend the day with the kid and the tools that a pretty QB intelligent person like Hue has. I can possibly get it right. That is what I'm hoping on.

Fall all I know he has deemed none are first round worthy.I don't know. All I do know is I will feel comfortable if we make the decision. We have never taken a QB earlier than 22 since Tim Couch. If we do and the players we have surrounding him compared to Couch we just might have our Franchise QB...FINALLY!!!

letting you know how my mind is tick, tocking.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend

I was replying to what lurker said:

" I can't say Wentz is the guy when Cody had very similar stats.. just saying..."

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L

If our picks pan out, I would rather have Kessler. Wentz looked awesome until the defenses figured him out. Kessler had the same stats......

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Lurker

If our picks pan out, I would rather have Kessler. Wentz looked awesome until the defenses figured him out. Kessler had the same stats......

Other than some Brown's homers on this board..........absolutely NO ONE in the NFL world would agree w/that take.

Goodness!!!!

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: Lurker

Other than some Brown's homers on this board..........absolutely NO ONE in the NFL world would agree w/that take.

Goodness!!!!

Hue did. Trust me naughtydevil

D
Legend
Legend
D
Mitchell Trubisky - QB - Player

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports the Browns are "fairly confident" they can wait on UNC QB Mitch Trubisky or Clemson QB Deshaun Watson until the No. 12 overall pick.

The Browns are beginning to appear too high on Texas A&M edge rusher Myles Garrett to pass with the No. 1 overall pick. If they're comfortable with either Trubisky or Watson, it's a reasonable assumption one of them will still be on the board at No. 12 overall, but a trade up could end up being necessary. The Browns have the draft capital, and then some, for such a move. Trubisky has been connected to the Browns early and often.

Related: Browns

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer Mar 20 - 2:46 PM

I don't agree with the plain dealers assessment ... I believe neither of them will be there at 12 ..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

I keep seeing the question how could Trubisky (or another player in a similar situation) not be able to beat out the starter 1 year, become the starter the next, then be considered the top QB in the NFL draft the next.

I'm not saying this is the answer, but you have to remember we are talking about college kids. We're taking about young men who are learning how to put everything together for their lives. Some get it earlier than others, some never do. It could just be that Mitchell didn't have it all together until he became the starter, then when he did figure it all out, his natural abilities were able to show through.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Mitchell Trubisky - QB - Player

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports the Browns are "fairly confident" they can wait on UNC QB Mitch Trubisky or Clemson QB Deshaun Watson until the No. 12 overall pick.

The Browns are beginning to appear too high on Texas A&M edge rusher Myles Garrett to pass with the No. 1 overall pick. If they're comfortable with either Trubisky or Watson, it's a reasonable assumption one of them will still be on the board at No. 12 overall, but a trade up could end up being necessary. The Browns have the draft capital, and then some, for such a move. Trubisky has been connected to the Browns early and often.

Related: Browns

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer Mar 20 - 2:46 PM

I don't agree with the plain dealers assessment ... I believe neither of them will be there at 12 ..

I dont believe a QB will come off the board until the 20s, unless the Jets pull the trigger on Watson early. I thik their history says they will reach for anyone that resembles a QB.

V
Legend
Legend
V
So, you wanna spend the first overall pick on a guy who could not beat out a qb who was unable to make an NFL roster? I won't call you ridiculous, like cfrs does when arguing against Jimmy G.......but can't you see why some of us question the logic of drafting him so high?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Vers, I just re-read my post and I don't see where I gave any indication I was talking about drafting Trubisky with the first overall pick. I think you inferred that, I didn't mean to imply it.

I have been leaning toward Garrett since last year, and have been sold on him since the end of the college season this year. As for QBs, my first choice is Garoppolo.

I was just addressing the question raised in several poster's arguments against Trubisky. My point remains, while it may not be true in this case, for young people in general, and often athletes in particular, sometimes "the light comes on" and they suddenly become markedly better at whatever it is they are trying to do. I was just putting the thought out there for folks to consider.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay...........no problem.

I just assumed that you had read my post earlier when I said something about Trub being a backup and people wanting him as the first overall pick in the draft. I assumed that because you mentioned the part about people questioning as to why he was a backup.

But, I misunderstood you. Sorry about that.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
My first option would be to trade #12 to NE for Jimmy Garrapolo.

My second option would be Mitch Trubisky falling to #12 and being selected by the Browns.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

Trib..oh I'm sorry most will not know who I'm talking about. Trubisky most likely will not be the overall #1 pick even if Hue likes him as the guy. Myles Garrett just is too good to pass up. This new mantra of he can't be THE GUY cause he didn't beat out others in his last two seasons just is lame.

The question is - IS HE THE GUY...and it will not be decided on the fact others started over him in previous seasons. That actually is a ridiculous reason. It comes down to Arm Strength, Accuracy, Football Intelligence, Good Release, Ability to see the field. The 13 games and the didn't beat out Williams is just posturing on irrelevant facts.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Film Breakdown: Mitch Trubisky

Link Copied to Clipboard