Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: edromeo
J/k

I think the conversation about when he was a starter and whether or not he beat someone out are anecdotal and don't have any evaluation merit for me.

So in alternative, can you tell us where you see the merit in Trubisky?

He doesn't have the measurables
He doesn't have the film
He doesn't have the intagibles
He doesn't have the starts nor the wins
He doesn't have the arm

So what does he have that makes you think he is a top 15 pick?

Honestly, looking at Trubisky body of work, all is very pedestrian at best...

I specially like the part when he says he had nothing to learn in going back to school...

I also like when people pick apart other QB's that did something, that at least have something to show, while with Trubisky its all a big unkown.... I guess that's his big merit.

Last edited by rastanplan; 03/23/17 07:46 AM.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Quote:

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/...-aaron-rodgers/

Yet back in early March, an NFL scout told Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he sees some Favre in Trubisky’s game.

“I wanted to compare him to (Brett) Favre but he’s a much better athlete than Favre and he’s faster than Favre,” the scout said. “The amazing thing is he can run so well. Excellent competitor. He’s probably my best player (in the draft).”

Trubiskiy could be the next Aaron Rodgers....your telling me Garrett is worth more then that? no way...not if you actually want to win.

I won't be one bit surprised we pull the trigger on Trub #1 overall if we can't trade down 2-3 spots, the guy has all the potential to be a franchise QB. If we keep waiting for the "next big thing" we will never have anyone.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Originally Posted By: edromeo
J/k

I think the conversation about when he was a starter and whether or not he beat someone out are anecdotal and don't have any evaluation merit for me.

So in alternative, can you tell us where you see the merit in Trubisky?

He doesn't have the measurables
He doesn't have the film
He doesn't have the intagibles
He doesn't have the starts nor the wins
He doesn't have the arm

So what does he have that makes you think he is a top 15 pick?

Honestly, looking at Trubisky body of work, all is very pedestrian at best...

I specially like the part when he says he had nothing to learn in going back to school...

I also like when people pick apart other QB's that did something, that at least have something to show, while with Trubisky its all a big unkown.... I guess that's his big merit.
Ummm.....how is this a reply to my post?

You don't need to reply to my post to get your thoughts on Trubisky out there.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Because you were the one stating that starting status of a player in college was anedoctal, so in order to try to understand your line of thinking, I wanted to know what is important to you and how does Mitch Trubisky fare to have an high grade.

Does Trubisky excel at anything?

Last edited by rastanplan; 03/23/17 09:39 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
Quote:

Yet back in early March, an NFL scout told Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he sees some Favre in Trubisky’s game.

“I wanted to compare him to (Brett) Favre but he’s a much better athlete than Favre and he’s faster than Favre,” the scout said. “The amazing thing is he can run so well. Excellent competitor. He’s probably my best player (in the draft).”

Trubiskiy could be the next Aaron Rodgers....your telling me Garrett is worth more then that? no way...not if you actually want to win.

I won't be one bit surprised we pull the trigger on Trub #1 overall if we can't trade down 2-3 spots, the guy has all the potential to be a franchise QB. If we keep waiting for the "next big thing" we will never have anyone.

When your argument is focused on how great a QB runs, He's probably not that great a QB. Just saying. I don't see the Favre comp at all.

Replying to the article, more than what you posted after.

As far as taking T-Rube early, I'm hoping we don't.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Because you were the one stating that starting status of a player in college was anedoctal, so in order to try to understand your line of thinking, I wanted to know what is important to you and how does Mitch Trubisky fare to have an high grade.

Yes .... he excels at the one and only thing that counts ...

PLAYING QUARTERBACK .....

WTF else matters? ...

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

WTF else matters? ...

And you say a player excels playing QB with 386 completions, 572 attempts, 67.5% comp, 41 Tds, 5 wins 3 losses?

In my eye many other Qb's present much better results, so that can't be the metric...

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think there might be some question on whether or not he "excels" at playing QB.

Did you happen to read the article I posted on another thread where Charlie Casserly asked 22 NFL GMs to rank the top collegiate qbs?

9 chose Watson. 8 chose Trub. 2 chose Mahommes. 3 were undecided.

I think it's rather telling that there is not a clear-cut #1 guy in what is considered a good QB class.

That's not to say that those guys won't be good, but they all have question marks and none of them seem to fit into the "elite" category.

V
Legend
Legend
V
rasta, he isn't talking about stats. He is talking about skill set.

I don't agree w/him that Mitch is elite, but stats do not tell the entire story on a player.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
rasta, he isn't talking about stats. He is talking about skill set.

I don't agree w/him that Mitch is elite, but stats do not tell the entire story on a player.

Vers the thing is that except for he don't have proof that Trubisky sucks, in reality he doesn't excel in anything.

He doesn't excel in measurables (he's on par with the rest, and a bit short for the prototypical QB)
He doesn't excel in Arm (he can make all the throes, but he is not stellar)
He didn't play in a pro-style offense
He doesn't have an off the sharts record on the 13 starts he has
He doens't show outstanding intagibles (quite the contrary IMHO)
He's inconsistent like the rest of the class...

I could understand Russell, who went up in the sharts because he could make any play sitting, but Trubisky, I think he's only good because we have no evidence he is bad...

By the way, have you seen his comments with Maykock on his pro day.. Didn't it rub you the wrong way?

Last edited by rastanplan; 03/23/17 10:35 AM.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not trying to be funny here, but the last guy Diam was this hard up for was another pretty boy QB. Brady Quinn.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

You said he "could" be the next Aaron Rodgers. "Could" be. Is that the criteria for the #1 pick now?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Quote:

You said he "could" be the next Aaron Rodgers. "Could" be. Is that the criteria for the #1 pick now?

No we couldn't, he doesn't have the arm Aaron has and that was already his hallmark when he was drafted.

Rodgers college career, although not very prolific was much better than Trubisky's... and his Arm and throws were AMAZING

Last edited by rastanplan; 03/23/17 11:28 AM.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
My take in this years QB class is that:

If you consider measurables then you either go with Kizer or Webb
If you take into consideration intangibles playmaking and games you go with Deshaun Watson.

If you consider both,then you can rule all the class out, and then probably you can consider Trubisky has a project, but never ever on the first round.

Last edited by rastanplan; 03/23/17 11:43 AM.
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Quote:

Yes

I fully believe if we take Mitch, and we actually give him a chance to play...im not talking 3 games, 4 games, 15 games, or even 16 games...im talking 45 games....i have no doubt whatsoever that he will be the guy here in Cleveland.

You cna't expect any Qb to come out of the draft Day One and be a Pro Bowler...the ones who do are outliers...many of these guys need to develop...the NFL is a whole new game compared to college.

Look at guys like Phillip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady Even Brett Farve....Farve was really bad back in 91 for the Falcons, his first ever pass being an interception...its not like these guys lit the world on fire. None of those guys lit the world on fire year one.

Point is Trubisky is very very talented...he is a guy behind this new O-Line we CAN DEVELOP into something long term. it takes 2-3 years for a Qb to really get his feet underneath him...Bradshaw was terrible his 1st two years...Browns fans have unrealistic expectations of what a 1st Rd QB should be able to do year one.

Drafting Trubisky #1 overall is an investment in the future, you take him, you let him play for a few years while you build out the rest of your roster...you will win some, you will lose some, he will have growing pains...when its over, we will have a viable, maybe even great NFL quality QB.

We are going to have to develop a QB, this is our year to get one that will have a higher chance of working out.

Mark my words, if we don't take Trub he will be a franchise Qb in the NFL somewhere, and he wants to play here...i'd call that a plus...a big one...guys who want to do something tend to give more then guys just here for a check.

To pass on Trubisky to pass on our chance to have greatness at the QB slot...i can just sense it...the guy is going to be something really special in the NFL....he is going to make some big time plays for someone, i hope that someone is us.

P
Legend
Legend
P
To pass on Trubisky to pass on our chance to have greatness at the QB slot...i can just sense it...the guy is going to be something really special in the NFL....he is going to make some big time plays for someone, i hope that someone is us.

Be careful Knight I said I had a feeling about Trubisky and I got attacked by the usual suspects ...wink

Last edited by PastorMarc; 03/23/17 01:57 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Be careful Knight I said I had a feeling about Trubisky and I got attacked by the usual suspects ...wink

Thanks for the heads up, i appreciate that. I'll stand by it... Trubs is the "the Guy" He is the perfect fit here...He fits Jacksons System, He is a Celveland guy, No one wants to see Cleveland win more then him, and he has franchise Qb talent level, a great arm, good size, etc....the kid will be a winner...and i want him to be a winner here.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Wish you would have come up w/a better analogy than the one-ball thing? Ouch!

I wasn't looking for a knock-down, drag-out fight. I just find it surprising that you were not acknowledging the lack of starts and the fact that the coaches didn't believe he was the best qb on his college team.

You answered my questions and I respect that. You did so w/out any stupid commentary like saying I am "ridiculous," "irrelevant," and the latest bravado of my concerns being only "anecdotal" and "not having any merit." LOL........Oh man. These guys trip me out.

Btw--------I am not saying that Trub won't be good. I just think he is a very risky pick if drafted w/in the top 15 picks. We disagree on that and that's cool.

I acknowledge the lack of starts and the fact his college HC thought a guy that was older, with game experience and who was a VERY GOOD COLLEGE QB was the better QB for his team ...

Like i said ... u put way more stock into that than i do .. would i have liked him to have more starts .. ABSOLUTELY ... but I'm not going to let that rule him out of the #1 slot for me ..

I really like what i saw on tape Vers .. and if i thought Garrett was the slam dunk everyone else did .. i wouldn't wantt Mitch at #1 ... the more of Garrett's tape i watch ... the less impressed i become ...

For me .. its JG or Mitch or WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR ...

D
Legend
Legend
D

WTF else matters? ...

And you say a player excels playing QB with 386 completions, 572 attempts, 67.5% comp, 41 Tds, 5 wins 3 losses?

In my eye many other Qb's present much better results, so that can't be the metric...

U keep reading stats while i keep WATCHING TAPE ...

Metric? .. ahhhh ... well we all who STATS ARE FOR!!!!!

P
Legend
Legend
P
If Trubisky is good enough to be considered by SF @ 2 or the Jets @ 6 what's wrong with us taking him @1 ... superconfused

Last edited by PastorMarc; 03/23/17 02:27 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Legend
Legend
D
I think there might be some question on whether or not he "excels" at playing QB.

Did you happen to read the article I posted on another thread where Charlie Casserly asked 22 NFL GMs to rank the top collegiate qbs?

9 chose Watson. 8 chose Trub. 2 chose Mahommes. 3 were undecided.

I think it's rather telling that there is not a clear-cut #1 guy in what is considered a good QB class.

That's not to say that those guys won't be good, but they all have question marks and none of them seem to fit into the "elite" category.

I was using a tad bit of hyperbole there bro ... did i get lucky with spelling again ... *L* ..

I saw the article ... I'm not a fan of what the GM's tell the press for two reasons ...

- they LIE ... *L*
- are these the same GM's that passed on Dak 3 times or more last year? ... hes just the example that popped into my head ..

How many times u ever seen me quote or source a GM, a sportswriter or any of the so-called "draft gurus" .... if you can't recall any .. thats cause i don't USE THEM ... quite frankly U and I and tabber and a few others are right WAY MORE THAN THE WRITERS and were at least as good as the draft "guru's" ... and thats not cause were anything special .. this is just a VERY VERY INEXACT SCIENCE ...

Sorry bro ... i could care less what they say ... I've NEVER CARED ...

Legend
Legend
If Trubisky is good enough to be considered by SF @ 2 or the Jets @ 6 what's wrong with us taking him @1 ... superconfused

Myles Garrett.

If Blake Bortles was good enough to go #3 why didn't Houston take him at #1?

Last edited by ThatGuy; 03/23/17 02:57 PM.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
If only we had taken Johnny Manziel higher in the draft, he might of been good.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Did not say we should take him at 1 in fact I feel we should take Garrett and then Trubisky at 12 if he is there ... But if they do take him at 1 that means they believe that he is a franchise QB and I would be ok with that ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
If only we had taken Johnny Manziel higher in the draft, he might of been good.

*LOL* ...

I shudder to think at how good guys like Bree's and Rodgers could have been if they were only drafted higher ...

And OH MY GOD .... the motherload ... imagine how much better Brady would ha e been if he was drafted even 4 rounds earlier much less at the top of the draft ... i guess its a good thing the hoodie waited ... otherwise they may have won all the Super Bowls ... *LOL* ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Did not say we should take him at 1 in fact I feel we should take Garrett and then Trubisky at 12 if he is there ... But if they do take him at 1 that means they believe that he is a franchise QB and I would be ok with that ...

He won't be there at 12 Pastor ... NO WAY ...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm beginning to disagree with you here bro. If the Jets don't take him at 6 (and they might, but rumored to like Watson more) I think he's there at 12.

What I don't know is if the Browns would draft him there if he is.........very debatable imo.

Last edited by BigWillieStyle; 03/23/17 03:24 PM.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: BigWillieStyle
I'm beginning to disagree with you here bro. If the Jets don't take him at 6 (and they might, but rumored to like Watson more) I think he's there at 12.

What I don't know is if the Browns would draft him there if he is.........very debatable imo.

Its OK if u disagree with me ... your used to being wrong ... wink ....

So U know what Shanny thinks of him ... OK .... your better at this than me then ...

And what about Buffalo ... Taylor's on a one year deal .... roster bonus next march is the only "guaranteed" money next year ...

And what about .... i don't know ... San Diego, Houston, New Orleans or a bunch of other teams trading up to 8 - 11 to get him ..

No way chicago takes him either huh? ..... OK ...

Wanna bet an adult beverage on it?

Legend
Legend
Quote:
So U know what Shanny thinks of him ... OK .... your better at this than me then ...

Why is your opinion of what SOMEONE ELSE THINKS more valid than his?

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm not certain enough to know a team won't take him 6-11, but yeah I'll bet you the adult beverage he doesn't go top 5. No way Shanny takes him at 2, and am VERY confident in that. The very praise you give Shanny is why he won't touch that big of a risk at 2.

Where it get's iffy to me is the Jets pick. I can definitely see them taking him. I think it's much more likely that the Chargers/Saints are going to take a guy in the middle rounds to develop and draft an impact player there. Buffalo might, but I bet they ride with Taylor and draft an impact player.

I like Trubs and wouldn't be upset if we draft him at 12.......but no I don't think he's the slam dunk you think he is. I think he's the best of the projects at QB. You could be right and he's a stud, but I don't see that. There is a lot to like about Trubs, but there is flaws imo. The lack of experience is troubling........and he isn't a starter this year and probably shouldn't be in 2018 either. I'm not comfortable spending a 1st overall pick on a guy who shouldn't play for the next 2 years.

I like him, but wouldn't touch him in the top 10 and if someone else does let them have at it....lol.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Metric? .. ahhhh ... well we all who STATS ARE FOR!!!!!

The people who are running our front office and actually making the picks?

Legend
Legend
JMHO

1. Cleveland - Myles Garrett
2. San Francisco - Waiting for Kirk in 2018
3. Chicago - Glennon
4. Jacksonville - Bortles?
5. Tennessee (via Rams) - Trade up spot for someone or Defense
6. New York Jets - Tanking
7. Los Angeles Chargers - Need talent for Rivers, QB later
8. Carolina - Trade spot/BPA
9. Cincinnati - Trade Spot/BPA
10. Buffalo - Kept Tyrod, Trade Spot/BPA
11. New Orleans - Need talent for Brees, QB Later (also talking to Manziel? LOL)

C
Legend
Legend
C
I don't think signing Glennon, to what is basically a one year deal, means they won't draft a QB. I think they signed Glennon so they can draft a QB and not have to play him right away.

Coughlin, who is in charge of the Jaguars, has distanced himself from Bortles several times.

The Jets are a wildcard and can do anything at anytime.

With all that said, I don't think any of those teams should take a QB. None of the guys in this draft should go in the first round.

Legend
Legend
I hope all of them do. Early.

Seriously.

How many "1st round" QBs are there this year? 4?

If all 4 go between 2 and 11. That's just more talent for us at 12.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I agree with you, I just don't think they will. Reaching for a QB is a great way to get yourself fired.

Legend
Legend
I honestly think all the teams are ganna get together and say "No early first round QBs" this year.

Kinda like 2014. When Teddy was supposed to go first. We were supposed to take Manziel at 4.

And then neither went till after 20.

Stupid Jacksonville. Didn't listen.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Not sure if you aimed that at me or not. But I never got on you because you said "you had a feeling." I only questioned your take that Trub was worth a top 5 pick but Jimmy G was not worth a 3rd round pick because of his lack of experience.

If you think Trub is all that, then fine. Whatever. But you can't rate him over Jimmy (or most anyone else) citing the other guy's lack of playing time. That makes no sense whatsoever. Trub barely has college experience.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V

This thread has become insane.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Again I know about Parcell's rules. Also there are several rules regarding drafting QBs.

What I'm saying is those rules just don't apply in today's college environment.

They are not breeding NFL QBs.
They are playing in systems that your Weedens look like Otto Graham.

They are entering in the draft sooner and possibly in a year.

In today's football what a QB did in 2015 does not define the QBs - its what they do in their Final season that defines their body of work. It would be nice to have had them play more than one season. But Good is good, bad is bad. There is no oh wait he can't be good cause he sat in 2015...lets forget about what he did in 2016.

That is all I'm saying. The lack of games definitely have some NFL teams dropping Trubisky...why he just might be there at 12. If Hue thinks he is THE GUY...I expect him to draft him. I hope its at 12.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
There's a HUGE difference in what you did in your "last season" verses "your ONLY season"!

smile

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Film Breakdown: Mitch Trubisky

Link Copied to Clipboard