Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rookie
OP Offline
Rookie
They were locked on the QB and when he was gone they had no backup plan! So, as opposed to select from some excellent defensive players that should have already been taken, management panicked and traded.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Or they didn't want Trubisky all along. . .

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
As always...this team always plays dumb from the front office...down to the field.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah, that's what happened. rolleyes

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Draft reaction hyperbole. News at 11.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Chamberlain
They were locked on the QB and when he was gone they had no backup plan! So, as opposed to select from some excellent defensive players that should have already been taken, management panicked and traded.

Well at least they didn't reach for Watson after the two top QBs where off the board.

[Linked Image]

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Some reports, from some source at OBR as I read on DawgsByNature, say we wanted Mahomes. THe report elaborated that someone in the Browns war room engaged their potty mouth when they saw KC take him.

Legend
Legend
I believe after Trubisky was taken They felt Mahomes was their guy. Andy Reid jumped them.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Now that we know exactly who the Browns wanted , realized they did not get him, and then panicked I can go to bed.

I guess all the word this week we were taking Trub was wrong but this story saying we wanted Mahomes is probably the real truth.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Or maybe it isn't. Who really knows?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Exactly. Can we wait for rookie mini camp before we declare this draft a waste? Or maybe the first round.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They did what they could to get a QB next year

Joe Thomas #73
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
All the pros on this board should apply/interview for GM jobs- I like we didn't reach on these QBs AND will have PLENTY of ammo to get whoever we want next year...smart play. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Originally Posted By: hitt
All the pros on this board should apply/interview for GM jobs- I like we didn't reach on these QBs AND will have PLENTY of ammo to get whoever we want next year...smart play. Go Browns!!!

If you dont have a team willing to trade what do you do? Just cause you have the ammo doesnt mean you can use it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Frenchy

If you dont have a team willing to trade what do you do? Just cause you have the ammo doesnt mean you can use it.

IE New England and Jimmy G

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
F
All Pro
All Pro
F
I just became a very big fan of every opposing team that Houston plays next year.

And the next head coach is ......
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
the sky is falling, the sky is falling

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: bonefish
I believe after Trubisky was taken They felt Mahomes was their guy. Andy Reid jumped them.

Andy Reid overreached on him. I mean, I guess he gets a year with Alex Smith and starts next year. Even in our mock draft I had KC taking Mahomes but, I only moved up from 27>22. 17 spots for a kid who wont play this year? Hmmm....and some here are saying OUR FO were stumped? I don't think so. I think we played well. More to the point, it made them decide right then and there not to overreach and acquire assets to trade up next year in a better draft class. This year we can address other positions. Brock and Kess may play much better behind our new line and with some weapons and a better defense around them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Then you take the best players available with your 2 first round picks and your three second round picks, improving the hell out of your team and you try to find a QB some other way. What you don't do is take a guy like Trib at #1 when there is an elite pass rusher staring you in the face. I think we had a great first round. We got an elite pass rusher. Teamed with Ogbah and Shelton we have the start of a really good front four. We got a safety and that was definitely a position of need. And we got a TE that was by all accounts the 2nd TE on the board. We also got a 1st round pick next year. By any measure that is a damned fine start to a draft.

We got better and THAT is a change from previous regimes. To me I give them an A so far and I haven't done that is a long time.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Name one team you'd trade the draft so far with?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

Then you take the best players available with your 2 first round picks and your three second round picks, improving the hell out of your team and you try to find a QB some other way. What you don't do is take a guy like Trib at #1 when there is an elite pass rusher staring you in the face. I think we had a great first round. We got an elite pass rusher. Teamed with Ogbah and Shelton we have the start of a really good front four. We got a safety and that was definitely a position of need. And we got a TE that was by all accounts the 2nd TE on the board. We also got a 1st round pick next year. By any measure that is a damned fine start to a draft.

We got better and THAT is a change from previous regimes. To me I give them an A so far and I haven't done that is a long time.

Couldn't have said it better...

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Sorry but makes no sense to pass on Malik or OJ, if they wanted a Safety and a TE.

The trade at 12 is absurd, unless it was some kind of secret condition on the Osweiler deal

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Id take Peppers and Njoku over OJ in a second. I would have taken Hooker though. Oh well, I like the other 2.

you had a good run Hank.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Not really liking the trade back. I'm in favor of letting the draft come to you then taking the best player. This was about acquiring ammunition for some hypothetical that has nearly no chance of happening.

I'm not sure how you get better with this approach.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Plus I'll add if we had taken Howard there we have gotten 2 of the top rated guys at their positions. Immediate starters. Immediate impact players.

Give me the quality over quantity any day.

Hell, if we'd just taken Wentz, I doubt they would have made this trade. We'd be sitting so good right now.

It is so hard to be a fan of this team.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
The trade at 12 is absurd, unless it was some kind of secret condition on the Osweiler deal

Just speculated this on another thread. I kinda think this.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
That makes Deshaun Watson the most valuable QB we had in a long time...

We traded Deshaun for Osweiler and the #1st and a 2 rnd pick this year + the 1st round pick next year...

Humm, I think the Texans made an hell of a deal....

Last edited by rastanplan; 04/28/17 06:31 AM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BADdog
They did what they could to get a QB next year

No NFL team can do it better. rofl

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Why is it that our Browns get schooled every year by one team or another?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
B
Legend
Legend
B
Great first round. Go Browns

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Bad, Plan C could still be finding a great vet QB. Says a lot about where Kessler sits in the QB mix. But I liked picking up the extra first pick. Sure that we have to re-evaluate the leftovers for today. Could be fast and furious for 2nd and 3rd rounds.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
To me, I would have preferred this: trade back to 25, take Njoku there and then take Baker at 33 .. no trade up

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

how do you know that?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Why is it that our Browns get schooled every year by one team or another?

Sure. The Bears really schooled the Browns. notallthere

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
I liked Hooker, but let's remember something. He was part of an 11 man team that couldn't keep Clemson out of the end zone to save their lives in the play offs last year.

Don't like the Peppers pick, cause he was going up against the 11 man team that couldn't keep Clemson out of the end zone and was pretty much a non factor in tOSU Michigan game.

Woulda took someone else.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Where do I get one of these Crystal Ball's you Guy's are looking into ??

Legend
Legend
I wanted Watson at 12.

But it's fairly obvious: all these QB's were gonna be projects. So it's not surprising that the FO didn't really value these qb's, at least not at the positions they were in for the 1st round.

For all we know, they like Kizer in the 2nd. For all we know, they don't like any of them this year.

But the FO got the most important pick right: Garrett. We got our DE/pass rusher. We got a starting SS in peppers. We got a beast ass TE from Miami.

The FO is making it clear they want to build the team first, which is why they revamped the O line in FA.

I'm fine with it.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
all I know is that three teams gave up assets to trade up to get QB's that most did not have first round grade's on.

does that mean they will fail? No it doe, all it means is that on paper three teams over reached, nothinh more nothing less.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
IMO we also leaked wanting Cousins conveniently before pick 12, so that teams in the 20s would know we weren't taking Watson and they could jump Arizona

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MrTed
I liked Hooker, but let's remember something. He was part of an 11 man team that couldn't keep Clemson out of the end zone to save their lives in the play offs last year.

Don't like the Peppers pick, cause he was going up against the 11 man team that couldn't keep Clemson out of the end zone and was pretty much a non factor in tOSU Michigan game.

Woulda took someone else.

Hooker was playing with the torn labrum against Clemson and still had 7 tackles and picked off Watson. The offense (or lack thereof) was the issue.

Supposedly Peppers was asked to focus on outside contain against the run for the good of the team. This limited his opportunities in man coverage but he performed well when asked to. Michigan did lead the NCAA in total defense, so it seems to have been a good plan for the team if not his Draft stock.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Brown's Management Stumped again!

Link Copied to Clipboard