Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
We had a VERY successful 1st round.

Three impact players and another 1st rounder in 2018. Great job. I love Peppers versatility on defense and his return skills are off the charts.

None of the QB's were good enough to be drafted where they were drafted. Trubisky at #2?, please.

Other QB's (probably better pocket passers) can be found later in the draft.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I think the fact we picked up a guy who seemingly matches what one of our co-ordinators wants is a great sign. No discord. All aligned to making the Browns better.

Now we have to wait a few years to see if it was worth it.

If the extra 1st nabs us our franchise signal caller next year, I don't care how Peppers pans out in all honesty. Peppers would be gravy on that meat.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Day One was very successful 3 starters, 2 on D, + now we own next years 1st and 2nd rounds with 2 #1's and 3 #2's .. Now we need a FS CB I wouldn't mind Davis Webb at QB and I hope to use a one of our 5th's on North Carolina WR Ryan Switzer ... GO BROWNS thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Quote:
Browns inquired last night about trading for Patriots' QB Jimmy Garappolo and were told, once again, NE not interested, per sources.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/858010320958312448

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Browns inquired last night about trading for Patriots' QB Jimmy Garappolo and were told, once again, NE not interested, per sources.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I believe had Jamal Adams been there at #12 overall and not Malik Hooker...Browns would have scooped up Adams in a heartbeat. Peppers was probably the next best thing to Adams...Hooker plays a different style of game..and with the injury I had a feeling he was going to slide a little...but Hooker definitely improves the Colts secondary.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
I believe had Jamal Adams been there at #12 overall and not Malik Hooker...Browns would have scooped up Adams in a heartbeat. Peppers was probably the next best thing to Adams...Hooker plays a different style of game..and with the injury I had a feeling he was going to slide a little...but Hooker definitely improves the Colts secondary.

That was the one player I would have traded up to Tennessee for

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
P
Legend
Legend
P
Denver Called before taking Bolles to try and trade for Joe Thomas (Courtesy WKNR) rofl

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Denver Called before taking Bolles to try and trade for Joe Thomas (Courtesy WKNR) rofl

Denver: "Hey, we'd like to offer pick #20 for Joe Thomas"
Cleveland: "We'd like to offer pick #33 for Von Miller"
Denver: "Plus Joe Thomas?"
Cleveland: "Hell No. You're pranking me so I'm pranking you"

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:

Of course. We would have been disappointed had they not explored these options. It didn't work. We got some good players and now it is time to move on. I say that as a fan of JG and even KC. But, that is now behind me for 2017 season. However, we have the assets to get a QB next year whether it be a FA or a rookie. Now, lets focus on giving our starting QB this year more weapons and a solid defense that actually stops teams.

Legend
Legend
I was really, really hoping Adams would slip a little more. He was the one I wanted for the back end of our d

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
thumbsup

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
We are a better team today than we were on Wednesday. We will be even better after today.

Legend
Legend
Indeed.

We aren't going to be contenders for anything this year - we are almost certainly still picking Top 5 next year - but we should be making some nice strides and see some real differences this year.

We are still going to be a REALLY young team. I think the 2018 season is when we start to make some noise and we will see a big jump in performance - and Wins.

This coming season should be good to watch, though.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So this will turn into Cleveland trying to trade Joe Thomas. Again.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Indeed.

We aren't going to be contenders for anything this year - we are almost certainly still picking Top 5 next year - but we should be making some nice strides and see some real differences this year.

We are still going to be a REALLY young team. I think the 2018 season is when we start to make some noise and we will see a big jump in performance - and Wins.

Picking Top 5? Don't say that. I think somewhere around 12

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Indeed.

To be honest, I hold out hope we could surprise and win more than a team picking in top 5. I am realistic but then, I say to myself that:

1. We competed in a handful of games last year that we could have, should have won.
2. We have an improved Oline and 2 QB's that have experience. Kess has now been in the system for a year. We don't know what either will bring but, we can hope for the best.
3. Corey shows why we took him first last year.
4. Our defense is already better and those young pups from 2016 will hopefully show improvement.
5. As Garrett gets double teamed it opens Ogbah up.
6. Collins and Kirksey could thrive with Williams.
7. Haden is hopefully better.
8. We address the safety (SS/FS) position and it instantly gets better.
9. With an improved Oline our run game opens up and takes pressure of the QB
10. Josh Gordon is currently still on the team. That could be a bonus. But, I don't anticipate he will be on the team after the draft or once the final roster is announced.

Look, several teams have done it....Chiefs 2-14, following year 11-5 or 12-4? It can be done. I know, I know....be realistic man, and I am. But, EVEN if we win 5 that is a 500% improvement. I hope for even more.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
We are a better team today than we were on Wednesday. We will be even better after today.

shouldn't that be the case for every team in the draft?

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Time to start designing our Super Bowl rings!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: clevesteve

Are Chicago and KC better? What about Houston? Houston better be because we now own their #1 and #2 in '18!

Legend
Legend

Are Chicago and KC better? What about Houston? Houston better be because we now own their #1 and #2 in '18!

I'd say so. New England, Seattle, Green Bay, and the Rams aren't, but every other team should be better today than they were this time yesterday.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

In theory. We're just not used to the concept.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
is it draft time yet?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Countdown to the 2nd rd. 1 Hour 48 Minutes wink

D
Legend
Legend
D
Countdown to the 2nd rd. 1 Hour 48 Minutes wink

Good ole' Pastor, the countdown master.

thumbsup

All Pro
All Pro
I wasn't a huge fan of Garrett but I'm okay with the pick and the rest of the draft I think was awesome!

I too was wondering why we didn't take Hooker, Allen or Foster but we don't have access to the interviews and medical files and perhaps there was just more there than the talking heads even knew about.

As it stands, I love the fact that all 3 of our guys are on the young side and are all elite athletes along with having success on the field.

Last in, first out, the sign of a true champion!
[Linked Image from i301.photobucket.com]
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
Indeed.

Picking Top 5? Don't say that. I think somewhere around 12

Sorry but this is a 3-4 win team so I think top 5 is likely. To be pick 12 would most likely be 6-7 wins and I just don't see that with our QB situation and the youth of this team

I'm coming home, I'm coming home, tell the world I'm coming home
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: wojo_dew

Sorry but this is a 3-4 win team so I think top 5 is likely. To be pick 12 would most likely be 6-7 wins and I just don't see that with our QB situation and the youth of this team

The glass half full approach to looking at that would to equate 3-4 wins as a 300-400% improvement from last season.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Before Bitonio got hurt, Cody didn't look that bad.

I think he's gonna surprise. You look at his background and he's fought to get where he's gotten. He's been working to improve this offseason. I don't think he's a star, but I think he will be an improvement. I'm mostly concerned with him staying healthy

Losing Pryor sucked, but Britt should lighten that load. Our OLine got better. Receivers have another year under their belt and defense got better

I'm hoping for 6 or 7 wins. Another year with Hue and a switch to the 4-3 is gonna do wonders

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
B
Legend
Legend
B

I'd say so. New England, Seattle, Green Bay, and the Rams aren't, but every other team should be better today than they were this time yesterday.

I can agree with that. The guys you just drafted in the first round should be better than the least guy on your roster.

That said, I think we got way better. We just inserted starters on to the roster.

As others have said, I, you, we may not have liked all the picks and decisions, but we had good picks and gained more for next year.

Hard to not like that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
The Browns were one of the big winners in this year's draft. In the first round they got three players who will be day one starters. Garrett and Peppers are playmakers that will improve our defense.

At Michigan Peppers played QB in the wild cat formation, WR, LB, CB, and S. Peppers also returned punts. In other words, he was versatile. Now I know he is going to play mostly corner in the pros but Hue said he may use Peppers on offense sometimes.

Garrett is an outstanding pass rusher that is a big upgrade.

Njoku is a impact player that will improve our passing game.

As I said in another thread, we may remember this draft as the one that turned this franchise around.

GO BROWNS!

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I thought Peppers played RB not WR...could be wrong though

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
I thought Peppers played RB not WR...could be wrong though

Think he played both. He played something like 8 different positions. I definitely remember primarily RB/Wildcat for him on O.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The quote I keep coming across is that Peppers played 15 different positions last year. Not sure how they come up with that. I guess:

Offense
QB - wildcat
Rb
Wr - split out and slot

Defense
LB - inside and outside?
Safety - Strong and FS
CB - outside and nickel?

Special teams
Kick returner
Punt returner
Gunner

Even with counting tight divisions of positions as separate positions I can only come up with 13.

Perhaps he lined up as a DE and a TE at some point which would make 15
Doubt he would ever line up as a DT or olineman

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season 2017 NFL Draft Day one in the Books

Link Copied to Clipboard