Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
The draft is over and Kizer is in the building so I'm posting this here. It comes up all the time in the media. "Hue is great with QBs!" "Hue is a QB WHISPERER!"

Can Hue Jackson really teach DeShone Kizer to be more accurate?

By Doug Lesmerises, cleveland.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
May 03, 2017 at 3:45 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- DeShone Kizer possesses nimble feet, a big arm, the kind of size Hue Jackson loves, the sharp mind to process a defense and the inexplicable ability to just miss a throw for no reason.

He's got almost everything. But the Browns' newest quarterback too often doesn't get the ball where he wants it to go.

Can that change?

"Ball placement tends to waver," CBSSports.com draft analyst Dane Brugler wrote in his pre-draft guide, "especially on the move when unable to rely on setup mechanics. ... Inconsistent accuracy on short, easy throws."

Analyst Cian Fahey's in-depth pre-draft look at Kizer boiled Kizer's prospects down to your view of what can be done about his general trouble with accuracy.

"Selling Kizer is easy if you believe that accuracy can be coached. You point to those redzone plays and talk about the mechanical alterations you can make to him releasing the ball. That's a first-round prospect.

"Dropping Kizer is easy if you believe that accuracy doesn't change that much. You point to his inability to make routine throws and talk about the wide open big plays that he couldn't hit. That's a mid-round prospect."

Brugler and Fahey both liked Kizer, more than several other quarterbacks in this draft. Brugler ranked him as his second QB, behind only Mitch Trubisky.

After drafting Kizer with the No. 52 pick in the second round Friday, the Browns talked mostly measurables and traits. He was still available at that pick in part because his inaccuracy at the NFL Combine created more questions about him. Now the Browns and Kizer will enter the debate over how much accuracy can be taught or improved once a player reaches the pros.

"I think you can improve accuracy, there's no question," Hall of Fame quarterback and Denver Broncos general manager John Elway said at the combine. "That's why you practice, why you make the throws, why you work in the off-season. I don't know if you can change arm strength, but there's no question you can change accuracy and work on accuracy."

Cleveland may now be the best incubator in the league for the question. (Brock Osweiler is another big, strong quarterback who throws it all over the place.) Jackson will apply the science of QB coaching. Kizer's future, and in many ways the Browns', is in Jackson's hands now.

Jackson's reputation is that of a quarterback guru, and he and first-year quarterbacks coach David Lee couldn't ask for a better pupil than a nearly 6-foot-5 project with all these necessary skills, and with questions about his accuracy, attitude and consistency.

"We try to create an environment for all our guys to be the best versions of themselves," Jackson said. "We feel like we are pretty good quarterback coaches - myself and Coach Lee. We think we can take a player from A to Z, but how soon that will be, what that will be? Until you have a chance to get out on the field with him, do you really know?"

Jackson and Lee will earn their money this season with this work, and it's already started. Kizer said he made a few changes after the Browns worked him out before the draft.

"I cannot wait to learn from Coach Jackson," Kizer said minutes after he was picked by the Browns. "Even these last couple of months, getting to spend a little time with him, he has been able to make a couple of adjustments to my footwork and to my mentality that allowed me to be a little more consistent and accurate within just a month or two. I can't wait to actually be with them where we can spend as much time together as needed to maximize the potential that I think I have."

The Browns now have two young quarterbacks with distinct traits, with Cody Kessler leaning on his accuracy and Kizer leaning on his arm strength. Kessler said he worked on his arm strength this off-season, but the better chance for the Browns to find a complete quarterback is for Kizer to improve his placement.

Jackson seems to believe there's a way to work that part of Kizer's game, though he talked around the topic when I asked him directly about it after the Kizer pick. There's a limit, though. Here's what scouting director Andrew Berry said when I asked him the accuracy question, in general, at the combine.

"I think that's a good question," Berry said. "Player development is super important in the NFL and there are things across skillsets or quarterback attributes that can be improved to a degree. But there probably is a little bit of an innate ability for a quarterback to be accurate or inaccurate that you may never surpass a hurdle.

"So if you're one of the least accurate quarterbacks in college football, it's probably unlikely that you're going to get to the NFL and be one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the NFL, but that's not to say that aspect can't be modestly improved."

Kizer wasn't one of the least accurate quarterbacks in college -- but he wasn't great. Comparing college stats don't tell you much because offenses vary so much, and some guys throw more easy screens while others throw more difficult deep balls. But by the numbers, Kizer's 58.7 completion percentage ranked 69th in major college football, and his quarterback rating was 31st overall, eighth among the 10 quarterbacks who were drafted.

So that has to be the goal here -- modest improvement.

If Kizer succeeds, it may never be due to pinpoint accuracy. His top-end talent should still lean more on his brains and his size and his ability to escape pressure and make a big play when needed. You may have to live with some misses.

Jackson's goal is to minimize them, and he appreciated the changes Kizer already made.

"I think the beautiful part of it was he was able to take that instruction and improve. I think we saw that in our workout," Jackson said. "That was outstanding. He is very coachable. He wants to work at it, and I think that's what it is going to take. We will find out how good this guy can be over time."

Kizer knows what his issues are, and he said he "absolutely" can get better there.

"I think accuracy and consistency are two good questions that have been asked quite a bit in the past couple of months going into the draft," Kizer said, referencing again the suggestions of Jackson and Lee.

"I am very confident that once I get into their system and I am able to be in their facility with them that those improvements will continue and I will be able to become a much more accurate thrower."

Any major overhauls to a throwing motion aren't likely to stick at this point. When things get rough, most quarterbacks revert to what feels most natural anyway. So the adjustments are more about footwork and anticipating and making sure throws aren't late.

Ian Wharton, a draft analyst from Bleacher Report, believes Kizer's accuracy ranks behind Mitch Trubisky, Patrick Mahomes and Jared Goff, but ahead of Deshaun Watson and Carson Wentz among first-round quarterbacks the last two years.

"He has above-average deep and intermediate accuracy, though he does have to anticipate better on short routes," Wharton said. "Short timing routes give Kizer issues because of his youth and a slow trigger to release the ball.

"When he is inaccurate on short and intermediate routes, it appears due to a disconnect between his readiness to throw mentally and his body alignment. What Cleveland should focus on improving the most is understanding coverages quicker, allowing him to anticipate openings and preparing his body for a faster throw than what he's used to."

Browns executive VP Sashi Brown, at the combine and again after the draft, brushed aside the idea of "pro-ready' and insisted every quarterback needs to develop, and that's the way the Browns were thinking in the draft.

"We talked about that a long time," Browns said. "That is Hue's expertise."

It's time to use it. The expectation probably shouldn't be "much more accurate," though. With everything else Kizer can do, modestly more accurate might be enough.

Jackson should be able to get Kizer there. He has to.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Kizer wasn't on my radar at all. Once the other 3 went I assumed we would go with other positional needs and pick up Peterman, Dobbs or Webb later.

That said, he is now a Brown and I will root for the kid to succeed. The QB position has to be solved for Hue to be successful. Rumors of signing Kap, Cutler or Fitz are strange as I don't see any of them any better than what we already have. And two of them, Kap and Cutler, bring potential issues into the locker room. Brock has shown success and maybe Hue will be able to rebuild his confidence and salvage what Elway believed in. If he is the guy to work with the others than hopefully he is humble enough to step up and be a tutor.

May be time to wish we still had McCown. There is no question he is a great guy to have in the QB room. However, his lack of success in the league may not translate to respect.

If in doubt we have the ammo to move up to 1 or 2 next year and get a guy (or get a FA). I am hopeful between Brock and Kess we at least have solid QB play.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for posting this article. It is one the best I've read in quite some time. Intelligent analysis w/some great questions. I hope we can have an intelligent conversation, as well.

I could quote many of the comments in the article, but I'll start w/just one:

Quote:
"I think you can improve accuracy, there's no question," Hall of Fame quarterback and Denver Broncos general manager John Elway said at the combine. "That's why you practice, why you make the throws, why you work in the off-season. I don't know if you can change arm strength, but there's no question you can change accuracy and work on accuracy."

Kizer's accuracy and decision making are my two biggest concerns. I talked about it a bit in the Kizer draft thread. I don't think it is a question of those issues exist, rather it is a question of can they be fixed.

I agree w/Elway that accuracy can be fixed and that it is hard to improve a qb's arm strength once they get to this level.

Accuracy is often a result of mechanics. Your lower body really influences how hard you can throw and where the ball is going to go. Timing, as in getting all your body parts moving together at the right time, is also huge. Follow through is also huge. There are all kinds of factors.

Many of them can be worked on. Many can be improved. I don't know if I have seen a lot of flaws in Kizer's mechanics and I am going to have delve deeper into looking at them in order to determine just how good/bad they are.

If there aren't too many obvious flaws, it might be difficult to improve his accuracy enough for him to be a good qb. If there are a lot of correctable issues, he could end up being a steal. I do think that there is an innate ability that some people have when it comes to accuracy and I believe that was mentioned in the article.

I also think that it might be likely that Kizer's processing skills, lack of anticipatory skills, and his slow decision making attributes could be huge factors in how this all plays out.

It should be interesting to follow and discuss.

E
Legend
Legend
E
It takes two to tango, there are a lot of gifted QBs who just do not make it. Well the biggest hurdle is do they wish to do what it takes to become Great. To eat humble pie but don't lose that confidence of being the best.

If he is willing to be coached up and from what I heard about his previous coach he is going to love Hue and respect him to do everything asked of him.

Of course only time will tell on the results. I really hope that we keep the QBs injury free this year and let Kizer learn, learn and learn. I'm curious also on the progress of Kessler.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
This is going to be great to witness. I'm stoked at the thought of NOT needing to go QB next year. I pray this works out.

You mentioned it being difficult to project a College QB to the NFL. That's an understatement for sure.

Things to LOVE about Kizer are his pure size and arm.

Things to HATE are that accuracy issue. It seems to be more on the shorter stuff and when on the move. His deeper and intermediate stuff is solid. I'm with Elway. Mechanics and Footwork are fixable and directly affect accuracy and even velocity. Better spin, better velocity.

It's as obvious as the nose on your face that Kessler is NOT our QB going forward. I want him as a long term #2. Which is perfect.

I want Kizer on the field NO LATER than after the bye week. Screw this sit for 2 years BS.

I keep going back to Kizers 77% completion percentage off Play-Action. That's outstanding.

Now. Our defense is going to play a huge part in this. We need to control teams running games. That would go a long way in keeping games close enough to where we won't need to play catch up and abandon the running game. Running game equals PLAY-ACTION passing.

Legend
Legend
My biggest thoughts on Kizer are much simpler than all of the above, and partly due to the possibilities of his potential as well as his shortcomings:

"How long until we get to see him start a game?"

I cannot believe that this is my first thought on him, especially after my stances on previous QB's, but with next year's Draft likely being STACKED with top-tier QB prospects and our QB future still remaining unanswered, at some point we're going to have to answer the calls to see what he can do on the field so that we know what he has so that we can get a better idea of knowing whether or not we have to spend on a QB next April.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Kizer can answer the bell and become a guy that outright takes the job from the other guys on this roster and leaves no question.... the worst possible thing would be to be nearing the end of the season and still not really have any idea at all of who he is or can be.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
What's interesting is that last year when we picked Kessler, I seem to remember comments about him being pretty much a nothing.

But under Jackson, he had a 92.3% Rating, 6 TD's, 2 Int's and a 65.6% completion rate.

Not the worst I've seen, certainly not the best.

But okay.

Did Hue do that? Did Hue get more out of him than someone else might have?

Kid got the hell beat out of him last year. Would better Oline play have allowed him to perform better.

I guess all I'm saying is that this Hue Jackson: Quarterback Whisperer thing may actually be a real thing.

He's got a lot of talent to work with this time. Kizer, Oswieler and Kessler and Hogan.

Should be interesting at the very least to sit back and watch what happens.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Last year, our QBs were taking a beaten. Shoulder injuries from being driven to the ground.

I think the pass protection this year was upgraded big time via free agency. Kessler may give the coaches a reason to not put Kizer in. Do I think it'll happen? Questionable, but I wouldn't rule the possibility out.

Legend
Legend
If Kessler does well enough to give the coaches reason to not bother putting Kizer in, then I'd say we have all of our questions answered. Kessler would be The Guy and Kizer would be relegated to being The Guy That May Eventually Take Over and there would be no way at all that we take a QB next year.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm of the opinion if there is a franchise QB in the draft, it doesn't matter who you have on the roster. If you can take him, you do take him. I don't care if Kizer never plays or does play and looks like a superstar.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
B
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
I'm of the opinion if there is a franchise QB in the draft, it doesn't matter who you have on the roster. If you can take him, you do take him. I don't care if Kizer never plays or does play and looks like a superstar.

Oh, I take him too.

Imagine some day having everyone talking about someone overpaying for a mostly unproven Kizer the way they did w/ Garoppolo, McCarron, etc . . .

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
It takes two to tango, there are a lot of gifted QBs who just do not make it. Well the biggest hurdle is do they wish to do what it takes to become Great. To eat humble pie but don't lose that confidence of being the best.

If he is willing to be coached up and from what I heard about his previous coach he is going to love Hue and respect him to do everything asked of him.

Of course only time will tell on the results. I really hope that we keep the QBs injury free this year and let Kizer learn, learn and learn. I'm curious also on the progress of Kessler.

jmho

I agree on this one. I hope that Kizer is left as the third string QB (if Brock ends up staying here).

I was listening to Mike & Mike this morning and they interviewed Sashi, and the first name he brought up was Brock when referring to the QBs. He said there'd be an open competition, but the first name he mentions is Brock.

And he said they were happy with him and he's done everythign asked of him so far in an awkward situation (as trades like this rarely happen). But it sounds like the team is much more eager to give him a chance than before.

But I too am very curious about the progress of Kessler. I think we both agree that Kessler's arm strength isn't necessarily the biggest deal, but getting rid of the ball quicker and having the comfort and willingness to go ahead, take a shot and rifle out a deeper pass. Also, can he stay healthy (which hopefully comes from finding his reading and getting rid of the ball quicker).

As for this article on Kizer, I found it a very interesting read. It sounds like Kizer struggles on the shorter passes, missing passes he should be making, and that some of it might have to do with not being set when he makes the passes and his mechanics. That all sounds like stuff that he can work on.

I still maintain, the most important thing for a QB is the ability to quickly process information, find your read, and release it quickly. This really has to do with mental makeup but also how hard you work. QB requires a big committment if you want to be great, and I think some of that is up to Deshone and how quickly he can mature.

Although, what's interesting was today on that Mike &Mike show, Sashi was talking about how mature Deshone was, and that he was very intelligent. That seemed to be different than Brian Kelly who said Deshone should stay in school to improve on and off the field. Of course, Brian Kelly is probably one of the main reasons Kizer isn't staying in school. He just seems like a blowhard who runs around screaming at college kid and throwing players under the bus. For a kid, I just don't see how he can inspire much confidence in yourself

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. Even if DK does fairly well we should draft a guy like Darnold next year if he looks like a franchise QB. We can always trade DK if Darnold is that good. If DK shows potential with us someone will want to trade for him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Agreed. Even if DK does fairly well we should draft a guy like Darnold next year if he looks like a franchise QB. We can always trade DK if Darnold is that good. If DK shows potential with us someone will want to trade for him.

Sure, but only if we're that close to the top of the draft. The trade up cost for a guy like that Darnold is gonna be high I bet

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
I won't be one bit suprised if Brock Osweiler is the starting QB

Say what you want about Brock, but he has won a playoff game, and been to the playoffs twice....Kessler has done nothing of merit really.

Osweiler is the veteran and most experienced QB on the roster and the only one with playoff experience. He should be the starter, and it should be his job to lose.

If we get the Osweiler of 2015 Browns fans will be very pleased with this guy. It also gives Kizer a year or two to develop and thats a big win-win for us.

Legend
Legend
Long post inc

Question:

Just based game experience, the ranking order would be Brock, Kessler, Kizer.

Based on knowledge of the system, it would be Kessler, brock(because of experience) and Kizer.

But based on talent/skill set......Kizer takes that lead, with maybe Brock over Kessler or vise versa.

So.....who would you start?

Cause that's the problem I have a feeling it's gonna come down to. Kizer, based on talent and skill set, is probably the best QB on the roster.

There's a real chance he's actually comes out ahead in the competition throughout training camp and preseason.

So do you still sit him? I sure as hell wouldn't.

I know it was a very small sample size, and we don't know what else Hue asked of Kizer throughout the process, but Hue asking Kizer to work on footwork, and Kizer immediately correcting it, says a lot, IMO. Of course fixing throwing mechanics is way harder than footwork, but that at least gives us the reason to believe Kizer is willing to get coached up over mechanics.

And if the mechanics get fixed...oh boy. I mean guys, Kizer is almost everything you guys have wished for on this board. He's 6'4, 220-230, has a cannon arm, is mobile, makes plays in the pocket.

Really it's his accuracy issues. But that can be fixed.

My other question is this: let's say hypothetically he starts Day 1.

What's the stats he needs to put up for us to feel like we don't need to draft one of the top QB's next year?

If he puts up 3200 yards with at least 17 TD's as a rookie.....

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown

Say what you want about Brock, but he has won a playoff game, and been to the playoffs twice....Kessler has done nothing of merit really.

Osweiler is the veteran and most experienced QB on the roster and the only one with playoff experience. He should be the starter, and it should be his job to lose.

If we get the Osweiler of 2015 Browns fans will be very pleased with this guy. It also gives Kizer a year or two to develop and thats a big win-win for us.

All of this is so wrong.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

All of this is so wrong.

I'd start Osweiler, andy dalton and flacco over Derek Carr too. Guys never even been to the playoffs! Bum

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
If Kizer plays and we see the progress we're looking for to name him the franchise going forward there's NO WAY I'm taking any QB next year.

We're SET.

I'm selling that QB to the highest bidder and it's going to include 3 First Rounders and MORE.

That's GOLD struck. No. That's PLATINUM struck.

This whole great QB thing next year can change immensely. Few names. Leinhart, Barkley, Watson, our own Kizer. All considered the #1 pick going into their final years. Yeah right.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: predator16
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

All of this is so wrong.

I'd start Osweiler, andy dalton and flacco over Derek Carr too. Guys never even been to the playoffs! Bum

"His" playoff win was against Connor Cook, a rookie third string QB making his first career start in the playoffs against the best defense in the league.

In 2015 Osweiler was benched in favor of Peyton Manning, a guy who could barely move and ended the season with 17 INTs in ten games.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
What's interesting is that last year when we picked Kessler, I seem to remember comments about him being pretty much a nothing.

But under Jackson, he had a 92.3% Rating, 6 TD's, 2 Int's and a 65.6% completion rate.

Not the worst I've seen, certainly not the best.

But okay.

Did Hue do that? Did Hue get more out of him than someone else might have?

Kid got the hell beat out of him last year. Would better Oline play have allowed him to perform better.

I guess all I'm saying is that this Hue Jackson: Quarterback Whisperer thing may actually be a real thing.

He's got a lot of talent to work with this time. Kizer, Oswieler and Kessler and Hogan.

Should be interesting at the very least to sit back and watch what happens.

I'm not one to count my chickens soon but to my knowledge he has peaked every qb he's worked with. He has improved or overachiever their production and their production slipped after him. Coincidence? Maybe.

Legend
Legend

Very good article.

The things that stood out in watching Kizer are accurately pointed out in this article.

When all is place and he sets up correctly he can rip it and put it on the mark. That is encouraging. His inconsistency and the resulting inaccuracy happens when he breaks down mechanically.

Inexperience was also part of the problem along with his relationship with his head coach.

Hue and Lee may be able to provide a constant and consistent learning environment to correct Kizer's issues.

When you get a consistent message on mechanics you can turn bad habits into good habits.

Kizer seems to want it which is half the battle.

Kizer came out early. He needed the extra year. But he may have gone as far as possible within his situation at ND.

Now he will learn the NFL way. As he gains experience and refines his mechanics who knows how far he can go?

I hope he gets some starts mid way through the season. Unless of course we are winning games.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have always been told 50% of accuracy is below the knees. 40% mental discipline and 10% is arm mechanics.

guys that have great footwork rarely have bad accuracy but often footwork can be corrected. Trick is can you really maintain what you are being taught its the mental discipl9ine to do it the exact way everytime in the face of adversity.

Most men lose that mental focus when they get popped just once. Guys that hold the ball high and to the ear and really roate through the throw also generally have good accuracy but some guys can throw it from every angle and still get it where they want.

mentally tough to set your feet and drive your throws sounds simple enough until a danny Shelton plants you lol

Legend
Legend
I think that one thing that everyone is overlooking when it came to QB play last year is how young and inexperienced the team was last year.

All 3 QBs threw mainly to guys in their 1st season in the NFL.

In 2015, McCown completed 64% of his passes at a 7.22 yards/throw average. He threw `2 TD, and 34 INT.

He plummeted last year, to 55%, 6.67 yards per throw, and 6 TD/6INT.

The talent around a QB can impact him a lot.

Griffin also had his worst year as a pro. He hit on 59% of his passes, and threw 2 TD and 3 INT, and barely broke 6 yards/attempt.

Kessler was far better in all regards. I am not saying that he is definitely the answer, but giving a rookie QB a ton of rookie and inexperienced WRs is not the best way to build his confidence, and is absolutely not the best way to help him succeed. In addition to his own issues and problems, he had to worry about the issues and problems the WR corp were having on the field.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/c

I think Sashi talked Osweiller up because they are trying to find a taker for some of his contract.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
+1, can't wait to see what comes out of time off.

Kessler wasn't bad stat wise- Joe T praised his guts and play- with decent line, better Defense so we don't have to chase the score, he could be a better than average QB.

Kiser- he's Jackson's guy physically, he's got the smarts (no dummies get into Notre Dame), coached up by Hue, stated he wanted to be great, like the attitude, now show the work- I want to see him play also once we eliminated from playoffs- but then the sample size will be small and we probably still go QB in draft.

BO- like his size, maybe he does something other than collect his money- time will tell.

Hogan- I'd cut him and get a decent teaching backup like McCown in his place.

Longterm- I'm not against Kessler- weak arm or not, would love Kiser to work out. Always, Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Oh well, the thread sure didn't turn out the way I was hoping. It was a great article and could have sparked some excellent, educational thoughts. However, it has kinda taken on the life form as so many other threads.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
jump to the 150 mark, and you can watch his feet and u will know the results of the pass before the ball ever gets there.

I did see improvement from combine to proday. Frankly I thought at times during combine he looked like a Rottweiler on roller skates. Much more fluid at proday.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
What I find concerning with Hue is that in 2 years he's drafted 2 QBs.
He might be a better teacher of QBS and adhering a playbook to a QB strengths than a actual qb evaluator.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
What I find concerning with Hue is that in 2 years he's drafted 2 QBs.
He might be a better teacher of QBS and adhering a playbook to a QB strengths than a actual qb evaluator.

Maybe. But he's drafted one in the third, and now this year, one in the second. It's not like he's using high 1st round picks over and over again screwing up on QBs

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I think you keep drafting QBs till you hit on one. Simple.

Legend
Legend
Yup... even if these guys pan out, and even if we don't take one at the very top of next draft, don't be surprised if we still grab another in the first three rounds next year, too.

Browns is the Browns

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
J/c

While reading the article, it stood out to me that the author refers to:

completion %
accuracy
ball placement

What bothers me is that he uses the terms interchangeably but each 1 is different. Imho using those terms interchangeably takes away a little from an otherwise very good article.

Last edited by edromeo; 05/04/17 03:28 PM.
O
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
O
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Yup... even if these guys pan out, and even if we don't take one at the very top of next draft, don't be surprised if we still grab another in the first three rounds next year, too.

Exactly, I mean the Patriots have had Brady forever but they still draft a QB at least every other year, sometimes more often than that.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
If Kessler does well enough to give the coaches reason to not bother putting Kizer in, then I'd say we have all of our questions answered. Kessler would be The Guy and Kizer would be relegated to being The Guy That May Eventually Take Over and there would be no way at all that we take a QB next year.

That is the ultimate scenario...I refer to it as the Brees/Rivers scenario. Except when the time comes (if he progresses to be the best he can be) for Kizer to take over hopefully Kessler will not have shoulder surgery and we can get a pretty penny for him!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
J/c

I think a QB can absolutely improve their comp % through:

understanding/mastery of the offense (better anticipation, hitting the checkdown, faster decision making etc.)
confidence
decision making
consistency in fundamentals
coaching
experience

I think a QB can improve their ball placement:

mastery of playbook + knowledge.......the knowledge of not just 'who' to throw the ball to on a given play vs a given defensive look but also where and how to place the ball i.e. backshoulder, front shoulder, high, low and what pace?

+

reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps, reps,

And when it comes to regular 'accuracy' I think there is only so much you can do outside of the above in this regard. For example I doubt Hackenberg is ever going to be mistaken for Drew Brees no matter how hard he works.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. We have to know about Kiser so we A, don't pass on other QBs in the draft, or B, take other QBs in the draft when we don't need to do so.

I hope he or Kessler grabs the position by the throat and we have an answer.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt there are limits on improvement, but you can improve accuracy, unlike arm strength.

As you said, reps is the key. Work the mechanics to a solid level and keep throwing.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey ed.........would you be willing to watch some tape on Kizer and give us your evaluation of why he struggles w/accuracy at times? I think you do a great job w/that kind of thing.

I'd like to hear from some other guys that like that sort of thing. steve? Mourg? Jester? Grimm? Etc....I'll try and do the same.

This could be an educational thread where people can learn. That's pretty cool and beats rehashing the same things over and over.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Here u go whip ...

Cap/pred - let me apologize for the spelling and .....'s .... thumbsup

Let me start with the positives ..... and this is well known .. nothing really eye opening here ...

- there's not a throw the kid can't make ... he can make them all ... no question .. that won't be an issue ... he's exhibited he has touch and knows when to let loose and when to use touch on a throw ..

- INSTINCTIVE pocket presents ... INCREDIBLE how easy it comes for him .. he has a great "feel" for pressure and makes side stepping pressure while staying in a good position to throw from and he keeps his eyes downfield ... thats a killer for a lot of qb's ... he's GREAT at it ...

- one hell of an athelete ...

- has shown he can throw into tight windows and anticipates throws ... and i mean showed it .. didn't do it everytime .. but he did enough to know its in his skill set ...

There's no reason this kid can't be a well above average and even a great qb .. the PHYSICAL skills are there ... all except for CONSISTENT ACCURACY ... witch is HUGE ...

Now for his story at ND and how we got where we are today ... and guys ... if he figures "it" out ... i will LOVE Brian Kelly for being the douche he is and "ruining" Kizer ... wink ... Kelly is a GREAT OFFENSIVE mind but an absolute jack ass on the sidelines and how he treats his players during games ...

Tabber I said I'd puke if we took him at 33 ... and i meant it .... well after day 1 .. my bro the Stiler fan and i were making fun of each other saying we were going to take him in rnd 2 ... finally i said (and my bro knows football .. ) that if we take Kizer at 52 he may RUE the day ... at 52 ... hes a GREAT PICK ... very good roll of the dice ... especially with all our picks this and next year ... makes the pick EVEN BETTER ... and I'm fully aware he could be another in the long line of bums ... with his skills .. its well worth the gamble there ..

For those that say Hue is the right spot for him .. there 100% correct ... everyones different ... Kizer clearly responds to coddling not Kelly's BS ... and yes I know there are many styles in between ... and thats OK .. as long as u have a coach that is the nurturing type ... that will bring out the best in Kizer ...

You don't want your qb to be a wuss .. hes not a wuss ... he threw HUGE picks and came back from them ... he led us back MULTIPLE times as our D in 15 was below average while the D in 16 was ATROCIUOS ,,, so i want my QB to be mentally tough ... not 100% sold on his ... i wouldn't have melted down .. i may have strangled Kelly with his headset but i wouldn't have melted down .. *LOL* ...

But the fact he led us back so many times leads me to believe if his coach isn't crapping all over him when he comes to the sidelines ... he may be OK ...

This is a slight worry for me .. but very slight ... I'm way more concerned with WHY he's innacurate and his leadership and how he "gets along" with his teammates ...

Kelly's affect on his 16 season is what CAN'T BE MEASURED ... it simply can't ...

Also may as well state this now ... he did not have the O talent around him he had the year before ... but he had plenty of talent and we actually had more speed then the year before at the WR position ...

We had no one with fullers speed ... but no one does ... hes got world class speed ... but we had two legite FLIERS that could take the tops off d's ... his innacuracy had nothing to do with his wr's, his OL or RB's .. witch were all downgraded talent wise .. but we had plenty of talent around him ...

He arrives at ND and red shirts ... 2nd year he is the back up to Zaire with Golson out of the mix cause he transferred ... game 2 Zaire breaks his ankle ... Kizer throws a last second 40 - 50 yard TD pass to Fuller to win the game ... and were off ...

In 15 he showed he could do it all .. man what an arm ... his accuracy on the other hand .. and this is why i hate STATS .. there so decieving ... after his 3rd or 4th start my brother and I started debating it .. my bro said it was a killer .. i said he missed mostly on his short or intermediate outs and he threw high when he'd have his "stints" ... at that point i thought it was purely mechanical and could be fixed ..

Also in regards to STATS ... someone on here mentioned his completion% on play action .. well Kelly is an ass .. I've NEVER liked him ... always thought he was a 2 year old on the sideline and i did not like the fact he represented my team ... well Kelly maybe a jack ass but he's a great O mind and on play action Kizer had guys running wide open all over the field ... it was like the year RG3 had with the skins .. everyone looked at his comp % and said WOW hes really accurate .. well i remarked after the 5th or 6th game of the season to a good friend that I'd never seen an offensive system work so well cause he had guys running all over the field wide open ...

He'd play a perfect 1st Q ... then he'd miss his next 6 throws and not even be close ... then he'd play dang good the rest of the way ... so I thought it could be fixed ... more than likely mechanical .. cause he was CONSISTENT with his misses ...

Then he started missing wide open recievers mostly on intermediate to deep balls ... and i heard about every one from my brother ... *L* ... and like i said earlier .. he could make some GREAT THROWS ... he'd anticipate a throw to a zone and hit his reciever in the soft spot .. then he'd throw a 35 yard out in between two defenders and drop it right in ... you'd be like .. WOW ... then the next play he'd have Fuller running free down the middle of the field with no one within 10 steps of him ... and over throw him by 10 yards ... then you'd go .. did we put Zaire in for that play .... *LOL* ..... HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE ... *L* ...

He pretty much finished the season like that ... played very well over all but just mind boggling misses to wide open recievers and throwing consistently high for 2 series in a row almost weekly ...

So after year 1 .. if this kid can get the consistency problem with his accuracy and continues to develop we got ourselves a GREAT QB for the next year or two ...

Now the fun begins .... this is way to long all ready ... gonna break it up ...

For both of u still reading .. stay tuned for part 2 tommorow ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Hue Jackson: Quarterback Whisperer

Link Copied to Clipboard