Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I apologize for coming of the way I did. I know you were joking,and my frustration over this kid boiled over. I apologize again.

No worries. I'm used to posting in the politics forum. Your post could have been mistaken for a sincere compliment in that section smile

But yeah, the whole situation with Gordon is frustrating. I moved past it some time ago. Like I said, I wish him well and hope he gets it together, but my loyalty is with the Browns. I have no expectation of Gordon contributing much in the future, if he even gets on the field at all.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
What is going to change from a week ago until Friday ? Weather Gordon deserves to be reinstated is not my point ( really don't care ) . The Commish is one despised ( BY THE FANS )man .. Dragging something like this out isn't helping his persona

Well they were pretty busy with their Big Time Production of the DRAFT...and I'm sure needed some vacation time so that is probably why his date was put to 5/5...makes sense???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Because that's the bottom line. Don't punish NFL teams, punish the players.

Pit........nice post.......but, I probably disagree w/the last part just a bit.

When teams draft or sign players w/known character issues, such as Gordon, Blackmon, Aldon Smith, Manziel, Mixon, Gregory, Greg Hardy, etc......they shouldn't expect special considerations or favors from the league. They knowingly drafted or signed these guys even though they knew they had a history of issues.

I am not criticizing your post. I just had to get that out there.

Legend
Legend
What is going to change from a week ago until Friday ? Weather Gordon deserves to be reinstated is not my point ( really don't care ) . The Commish is one despised ( BY THE FANS )man .. Dragging something like this out isn't helping his persona

I didn't understand the booing at the Draft everytime he came to the podium. Damn, the fans really don't like that guy.

Can't be just because of things like Gordon... What else to they dislike him for?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
I just thought of something, wasn't he reenstated last year and then checked himself into rehab?
What happened that he had to reapply then?

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MrTed
I just thought of something, wasn't he reenstated last year and then checked himself into rehab?
What happened that he had to reapply then?

He was re-instated on the condition that he could do training camp but was suspended for a couple games (I think). He was suspended until October, and right before re-joining the team, he decided to enter rehab instead. I'm guessing he was given a drugtest or breathalyzer he couldn't pass, but instead of failing he went to rehab. That or he hit rock bottom and realized he needed real professional help.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

I didn't understand the booing at the Draft everytime he came to the podium. Damn, the fans really don't like that guy.

Can't be just because of things like Gordon... What else to they dislike him for?

I think the Ray Rice situation and deflategate sealed Goodell's fate.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

He's more or less the scapegoat for all things wrong with the league, or "your team" in general. If a ref screwed your team over one game or one of your better players got suspended because he's a dumb-butt, then it all comes back to the commissioner at some point.

Booing the commissioner has almost become scripted Shakespearean "boo the villain" theater. I find it kind of obnoxious, but it's almost like Pavlov's dog-bell at this point for people attending the events. I remember David Stern's last draft as commish in the NBA, people boo'ed him relentlessly at the start of the draft, but when he came out to make his last ever draft announcement, he got a standing ovation. He then announced the new commissioner, who was then boo'ed heartily.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Spygate too, when he handed out a swift punishment and actually never even reviewed the tapes that were not submitted to the NFL (until after his punishment was handed out.) Then remember him ordering them just to be destroyed?

He became the biggest loser with the Ray Rice situation IMO. This is why he'll always get boo'ed, IMO.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Spygate too, when he handed out a swift punishment and actually never even reviewed the tapes that were not submitted to the NFL (until after his punishment was handed out.) Then remember him ordering them just to be destroyed?

He became the biggest loser with the Ray Rice situation IMO. This is why he'll always get boo'ed, IMO.

What are they booing him for those things for? Is it that they feel those things didn't happen, or the way he handled them? I'm guessing the latter!

I mean, in each case he made a determination..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Definitely the way/nature in which he handled them. It's no secret those things definitely occurred (minus the deflategate all because Brady smashed his cell phone.) There was tapes with spygate, the Ray Rice elevator tape and etc.

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 05/05/17 11:46 AM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
They have been booing him for years, started by Giant fans in NYC no real reason just as a joke and each year it has grown. Now its just silly.
jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Fans ( or voters ) voicing their disapproval or Opinion is never silly .. To many , Roger represents all things bad ( Business aspects and such ) the game we love !

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

When teams draft or sign players w/known character issues, such as Gordon, Blackmon, Aldon Smith, Manziel, Mixon, Gregory, Greg Hardy, etc......they shouldn't expect special considerations or favors from the league. They knowingly drafted or signed these guys even though they knew they had a history of issues.

Well I agree with you in theory but not in principal. You seem to see it in terms of "the team", which I understand, but let's look a little deeper than that.

The regime that drafted Gordon is long gone. There's not a trace of them left. That's why I have trouble advocating your line of thought. Sure, I guess you could say the NFL is still penalizing the owner. Yet, how much input did the owner have in drafting Gordon?

It seems to me an entirely new regime is being punished for a mistake made years ago by a group no longer here. I just have a problem with the NFL punishing people that had nothing to do with drafting Gordon. FO, coaches and players included.

I don't expect to change your mind. I'm just expanding on my reasoning.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
I remember David Stern's last draft as commish in the NBA, people boo'ed him relentlessly at the start of the draft, but when he came out to make his last ever draft announcement, he got a standing ovation. He then announced the new commissioner, who was then boo'ed heartily.

That is hysterical.

I get that Goodell is unlikable with the recent controversies. When I think of people booing commissioners, I think of hockey fans booing Gary Bettman, and I understand that situation a little better. You're talking about a guy with a background in basketball running the top hockey league in the world, overseeing 3 labor stoppages during his tenure, and making a lot of changes to appeal to mass markets that are already saturated with football, baseball, and basketball at the expense of long-time fans.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
well, whomever it was that originated the report that we should hear something by the end of today - it seems they were wrong.

On the up side, we get to stretch this thread out even longer! laugh

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I swore I saw an article where they said they would give a verdict (?) today, but Google only has crickets.

Is it really possible that even the internet is sick of Josh Gordon?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I saw a similar report.... whomever reported that, however, had their expectations screwy, lol smile

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Well I agree with you in theory but not in principal. You seem to see it in terms of "the team", which I understand, but let's look a little deeper than that.

The regime that drafted Gordon is long gone. There's not a trace of them left. That's why I have trouble advocating your line of thought. Sure, I guess you could say the NFL is still penalizing the owner. Yet, how much input did the owner have in drafting Gordon?

It seems to me an entirely new regime is being punished for a mistake made years ago by a group no longer here. I just have a problem with the NFL punishing people that had nothing to do with drafting Gordon. FO, coaches and players included.

I usually agree with you on a host of issues Pit, but this time, not so much.

It's not the regime that is being penalized, it's the team and no matter who's in charge, that is going to remain.

If Haslam sold the team tomorrow, that shouldn't change the status of Gordon (as an example).

You eluded to the team thing in your response to Vers and that part I obviously agree with. I just don't think the management team or ownership even come into play.

JMO

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

I usually agree with you on a host of issues Pit, but this time, not so much.

It's not the regime that is being penalized, it's the team and no matter who's in charge, that is going to remain.

If Haslam sold the team tomorrow, that shouldn't change the status of Gordon (as an example).

You eluded to the team thing in your response to Vers and that part I obviously agree with. I just don't think the management team or ownership even come into play.

JMO

team? are you saying that this fo and coaching staff are counting on gordon? cause thats the only way it would be unfair to he team

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree that these decisions need to be made. You can't just keep stringing teams and players out.

I don't think it had to be today, but it needs to be made soon.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Maybe Goodell is just waiting out those couple extra days that seem to separate a ruling and Gordon getting in trouble again.

-PrplPplEater
E
Legend
Legend
E
ok but I was there when it started.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

T
Legend
Legend
T

The list is almost half as long as Browns quarterbacks since 1999.
There's changing rules for changes sake.
The wearing of pink for a whole month, which may have been fine for 1 week a year.
throwback uniforms.
Teams changing cities
London England, him acting like it's not a horrible idea, which it is, but him acting like it's a great idea, which it's not.
The same with Mexico City.

Los Vegas having a team.

Making it unclear what the definition of a catch is. And not even that, but a touchdown, if made by a catch, even if in the middle of the end zone, which could be a touchdown taken away, but nobody knows for sure, until some official has to explain it, when for years it was clear.

Scandals involving the Patriots, and , His response to scandals involving them too.

The problems in New Orleans where the coach wasn't allowed even to communicate with the team.

Drug testing issues,
A work stoppage, almost, in the off season.

There is, that he's said to work for the owners and them only.

Changing the point after trys . Changing the ability of a player to make a tackle without being penalized for it.

Letting teams like the steelers get away with still dangerous tackles.

The simple fact that he's just not the public figure that Paul Taglibue was.

The simple fact that Taglibue, better than Goodell, wasn't half the man for the game that Pete Rosell was, but still twice the man for the game that Goodell has appeared, so far.

Publicly saying more than once, even years ago, that the biggest problem in the NFL was that there was not a team in Los Angelas yet.

Which helped in holding several cities and voting constituencies hostage with the threat to move their team to Los Angeles if they didn't publicly pay extraordinary prices for stadium opulence.

And probably Television game choices, and such.

Hey it's not all Goodells fault; he just represents it.

It's not anything to hate Goodell for, it's just what he represents.

I mean he's probably powerless to stop many of these things, but did he even try? Or speak out against them? He is the commissioner of the league.
NO! He eagerly encouraged them, which is a reason to boo him.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I agree that these decisions need to be made. You can't just keep stringing teams and players out.

If it was the Steelers, they'd have resolution before the draft, so they could plan (draft) accordingly.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Dave

If it was the Steelers, they'd have resolution before the draft, so they could plan (draft) accordingly.

so you thin the browns changed there draft plans?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
V
Legend
Legend
V

I almost hope the NFL denies his request to be reinstated and just bans him forever. You know..........kinda like how you loved how the Browns turned Schwartz away. Tough talk. GRRRRRRRR!!!!. LOL........you got old, bro.

B
Legend
Legend
B

I almost hope the NFL denies his request to be reinstated and just bans him forever. You know..........kinda like how you loved how the Browns turned Schwartz away. Tough talk. GRRRRRRRR!!!!. LOL........you got old, bro.

I am not talking tough. And I didn't like it that Schwartz left the team. After thinking about it, I am not even sure we pulled the offer. I remember Brown saying we didn't pull the offer, but that is worn out "old" news.

As for Gordon, I am not going to say I hope he is banned, but if he is, so be it. It's not like we have had the guy for the last 2 years. Just make the call in a timely manner. As stated, I don't think it had to be yesterday. I do think it should be in time for full mini-camps. League business opened March 1st. How the heck long does it take to make a decision?

If Goodell isn't going to make the decision for the good of the player, be it a thumbs up or thumbs down, he should make it for the good of the league member. The team should be given the courtesy of a timely decision. I am sure we pay our league dues just as every other members pays it's dues.

As for Father Time, I haven't figured out how to stop him. Have you? I've read that there is this fountain somewhere down in the swamps of Florida....

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

I almost hope the NFL denies his request to be reinstated and just bans him forever.
You know..........kinda like how you loved how the Browns turned Schwartz away. Tough talk. GRRRRRRRR!!!!. LOL........you got old, bro.

Classic...simply classic. Can you say "agenda"? Almost hoping the league pounds in the last nail on a guy's coffin is sad...just sad...what would anyone have to gain from that? It's not like he's caused harm to anyone like so many others who get additional chances. Also, contrast that bold-ed statement above with the last sentence in your signature.

Hoping the league bans a guy for life over trace amounts of MJ and for drinking beer on a plane with his coaches. Ridiculous.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Our players should try skipping tests altogether and roll with the "new cell # LeVeon Bell special".

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's not what Dave is saying .. sheesh

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: pblack18707

so you think the browns changed their draft plans?

Obviously, I have no way of knowing that, but it just makes sense to me that it would be good to know what you have in the pantry before you go grocery shopping. Its entirely possible that they have no plans for a Gordon return, and have decided to roll with their 2nd year receivers. But it would have been good to know if Gordon would be available (or, as "available" as a Josh Gordon can be) going into the draft. There was no good reason why that determination couldn't have been made by Goodell before the draft, imo.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ricky Williams. Gordon should not be treated any different. Williams was allowed back in and he played good ball. I'm to the point now that I believe Gordon was used by Goodell to prove his power.

Let the kid play.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19
Ricky Williams. Gordon should not be treated any different. Williams was allowed back in and he played good ball. I'm to the point now that I believe Gordon was used by Goodell to prove his power.

Let the kid play.

Please don't deflect blame to anyone else except Josh Gordon himself.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
How many times did Ricky Williams fail drug tests as opposed to Josh? Didn't Ricky just 'retire', get it out of his system and then come back?

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
O
Legend
Legend
O
How many times did Ricky Williams fail drug tests as opposed to Josh? Didn't Ricky just 'retire', get it out of his system and then come back?

Didn't he quit to become Rastafarian?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Is there some kinda timeframe or deadline for the league to make a call on his future? Is there a date we are counting down to or is it their discretion after his application of reinstatement?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Riddler
Is there some kinda timeframe or deadline for the league to make a call on his future? Is there a date we are counting down to or is it their discretion after his application of reinstatement?

No date, at all, that I'm aware of. Discretion of the Commish.

That said, there MAY be something in the CBA that states that the Commish must make a decision on a petition for reinstatement within a given time period, but if there is, I don't think anyone has found it, yet. If there is, then that timeframe after the date of him filing his request would be the deadline we'd be watching for.... but, again, I'm mostly certain there is no deadline/timeframe.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

Didn't he quit to become Rastafarian?

Yes, but didn't he also retire "to smoke pot and visit Buddhist temples" with timing that coincided with a report of a failed test, and wasn't there a short suspension he had to serve once he came back?

Browns is the Browns

V
Legend
Legend
V
I found this:

Quote:
Josh Gordon will file for NFL reinstatement, but his time with the Browns is likely over

Josh Gordon is hoping for another shot at the NFL. The Cleveland Browns wide receiver, who hasn’t played since 2014 after failing multiple drug tests, will file reinstatement papers with the league this week, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

In 2013, Gordon torched the league with 1,646 yards on 87 catches. This was in his sophomore year after Cleveland selected him in the 2012 supplemental draft. But Gordon’s off-field antics derailed his NFL success. He’s been suspended for various lengths on four separate occasions since entering the league, including a yearlong suspension in 2015.

Gordon is now looking to restart his career after sitting out the past two seasons. But if he is reinstated, his time with the Browns — who have tried on multiple occasions to shop him — is likely over:

Follow
Scott Petrak ct @ScottPetrak
#Browns Sashi Brown said team hasn't discussed its plans if suspended WR Josh Gordon is reinstated. Hue Jackson said last year was moving on
12:30 PM - 1 Mar 2017
Retweets 2 2 likes
Gordon shined for the Browns during the 2016 preseason and was set to be reinstated in Week 5, but instead he entered rehab and did not play during the regular season. Now, Gordon’s business manager Michael Johnson told Schefter that the 25-year-old is in “best shape of his life.”

If reinstated, it’s hard to imagine teams won’t be interested, but Gordon has yet to prove he can stay out of trouble. The NFL is known for giving exceedingly talented players second chances, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see him play again.

The reinstatement process is drawn out, yet the decision from commissioner Roger Goodell must be made within 60 days of completing the application. If approved, that would still give Gordon plenty of time to work out a deal with teams and appear at OTAs.

Certainly nothing is guaranteed here. Gordon has been given warning after warning by the league. His NFL future is now up to the discretion of Goodell, which is never where a player wants to find himself.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/1/147...spension-browns

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Gordon News, Continued....

Link Copied to Clipboard