Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Legend
Legend
M
Information, research, facts, examining every possible angle ..... all good things in my opinion. Transparency as a whole = good. It may not always be possible or practical. But I have no problem with information.

By the same token - discussing that information or research and offering an opinion on it .... surely that's not a bad thing either?

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am an Ohio State fan and I loathe what Woody did in that game.

I think it's wrong to speak for all Ohio State fans.

This is not a UM vs Ohio State issue. I loved Steve Everitt, Thom Darden, LeRoy Hoard. I wanted us to draft Lewis in this year's draft and had Taco as my 15th ranked player.

I know you liked Peppers pre-draft and that's cool. Support the dude. However, I don't think it is fair that you are insinuating some of us are bad-mouthing the guy because he went to UM. That is simply not true.

I think the guy can't cover. I question his character. I ain't really believing his version of the Stage one thing. It ain't close to what Sashi is saying.

Is Sashi a UM hater, too?

L
Legend
Legend
L
Maybe the guy who ran onto the field deserved a punch in the mouth, especially if he ran his drunken mouth.

Last edited by lampdogg; 05/10/17 09:55 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Information, research, facts, examining every possible angle ..... all good things in my opinion. Transparency as a whole = good. It may not always be possible or practical. But I have no problem with information.

By the same token - discussing that information or research and offering an opinion on it .... surely that's not a bad thing either?

Good point.

I used to think you were a terrible poster, but man, you've won me over w/a ton of good posts. I don't always agree w/what you say, but you make some logical arguments. That last one was excellent. Nice job!!!!

V
Legend
Legend
V
I didn't take it as insulting. We disagree on some things, but you are always respectful. I think debate is good. We learn from seeing various opinions. Keep debating me, bro. I like it.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Maybe the guy who ran onto the field deserved a punch in the mouth, especially if he ran his drunken mouth.

Maybe he did. Then again, maybe Peppers is an idiot? Ever consider that?

Did you watch the game? The guy was wolfing the entire game. Getting into people's faces after every non-play he participated in. The OSU guys would just walk away from the taunting. He was the biggest ass on the field. And it wasn't close.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Fans need to stay off the field, court, and hockey rinks:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp7ApYx6Qbc

gmstrong

-----------------

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Ohio State fans will love Woody Hayes's fiery passion and him punching a Clemson player, but think Jabrill Peppers is a horrible person for hitting a fan.

I'm an OSU fan.

I disagree with your statement.

Woody, the coach, punched a player during a game.

Peppers, a player, after the game, with an OSU fan in his face, shoved him.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
That man was the great grandson of the man who killed Woody Hayes's grandfather. It wasn't pretty, but it was honorable.

All I'm saying is judge Peppers on the field during the play, not by the guy off of it. He didn't come here to be a role model. If that happens, great. If he helps the team become better, even better.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Seriously, is that true?

gmstrong

-----------------

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
DD: "I was the intended receiver on that play. I was in the corner of the end zone, wide open, waving my arms. I realized it was an interception. I saw the commotion. I was walking from the end zone down the sideline and I said, "What happened?" And somebody said, "Woody hit somebody." And I said, "So what? What's the big deal? He hits somebody every day at practice." So they said, "No, a guy from the other team."

"I still didn't think much about it. After the game, Woody got us in a huddle and kind of told us a story as to why all that happened. He said (Charlie Bauman's ancestor) killed his great, great grandfather in the Civil War. And he said that's why he punched him. He had it coming. We all kind of looked at each other like, "Wow."

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state...-wr-doug-donley

Woody Hayes’s post-game address to his team was mostly about the Civil War. Hayes’s great-grandfather had been killed in the autumn of 1862 at the battle of Antietam, the bloodiest single-day battle in American history. Woody’s great-grandmother had already died before that, so his great-grandfather’s death left his grandfather Isaac Hayes an orphan.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2016/12/23/woody-hayes-punch-clemson-ohio-state

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
lol, sounds like a nonsense story by Woody Hayes. How would he know that Bauman's ancestor killed his Great Grandfather or whatever, lol

The Battle Of Antiem was brutal. It's not like guys were keeping tally, walking over and confirming the names of the people that they killed

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think the more likely explanation was woody was a competitive nut, and probably had a drinking problem.

gmstrong

-----------------

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
lol, sounds like a nonsense story by Woody Hayes. How would he know that Bauman's ancestor killed his Great Grandfather or whatever, lol

Ancestory.com, of course!!!

V
Legend
Legend
V

The Battle Of Antiem was brutal. It's not like guys were keeping tally, walking over and confirming the names of the people that they killed

Agreed. Kinda like Peppers' and his source telling of the story of what happened to get him in Stage One. LOL

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For Vers, there's another article where OSU Coach Coombs comes to Pepper's Defense.

https://www.landof10.com/michigan/ohio-s...rs-fan-incident

Coombs says "“This is really something that has been blown out of proportion and looks worse than it actually was,” Coombs told WCPO.com. “I really didn’t do anything special. Jabrill is a really good kid that was caught in a tough situation.”"

We don't know what was said, video shows the fan bumping into him.

Michigan players after the game were complaining about lack of security and being attacked by fans when they rushed the field. I do think they have a point. No reason a bunch of fans should be running around a field after a regular season game. At least let the opposing team clear out.

It's just dangerous

Also, your article says he punched the guy in the face, but if you look, it's a shove

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Probably true. But that'd be quite the lie to make up on a flight home before they had the internet.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Probably true. But that'd be quite the lie to make up on a flight home before they had the internet.

lol, but seriously. Before Ancestry.com, how the heck would he have any idea of this. Other than possibly knowing that Bauman's ancestor fought in the Battle Of Antiem for the Confederates (or Union, or the opposing side). There's simply no way.

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 05/10/17 11:25 PM.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

lol, but seriously. Before Ancestry.com, how the heck would he have any idea of this. Other than possibly knowing that Bauman's ancestor fought in the Battle Of Antiem for the Confederates (or Union, or the opposing side). There's simply no way.

Maybe a man told a newly made orphan a name? a reason why the kid has no father? Who knows. Oral and family history is some weird business.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Maybe a man told a newly made orphan a name? a reason why the kid has no father? Who knows. Oral and family history is some weird business.

I dunno. I think Johnson would know better than this.

Like I said, a Civil War Battle. How the heck would anyone know the name of someone who killed someone else.

It would have to be like bayonette kill POW situation for it at all to be possible (bayonette kill the elder Johnson, and a comrade of Johnson would have to be taken POW by the same people that killed Elder Johnson (and get the name)). If Woody Johnson could keep track of the name and the ancestry, he had to think this over.

The odds are ridiculously low. Much more likely, Johnson hit the kid (as he had plenty of his own players before) and came up with an excuse attached to a Civil War story he was planning to give out anyway about the Battle of Antiem

Edit: Replace Johnson with Hayes. I'm on cellphone and computer is dead and it's past bedtime lol. Woody Johnson is owner of the Jets I think. Lol

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 05/11/17 12:05 AM.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I don't know. I guess this all really depends on if the dude's ancestor fought in that battle. I think a dude just telling a 9 year old kid the only name he could think of is highly plausible. It's not like the confederates were a bunch of Iraqi's. They lived close enough that many people knew someone fighting on the other side. Who knows? I loved the visual of an elder johnson bayonetting elder hayes btw.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm in the, "this is a big deal" camp. He either,

A : Did drugs and tried to flush his system

Or

B: Needs to fire his agent

I'm leaning towards A

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Replace all the Johnsons with Hayes. Woody Johnson owns the Jets. Lol

But yeah. Battle of Antiem was one of the worst of the war. This wasn't Kansas-Missouri where that's possible. Antiem involved many soldiers. Hayes had to know this. It's just ridiculously unlikely that some how his killer would be known.

90000 union vs 40000 Confederate​ led by Lee. 3500 deaths and 22000 casualties. Someone on that team had to be an American History Major and recognized this was nonsense

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
This happened in Maryland right next to Virginia. Antietam had a lot of soldiers. Makes saying one name easier. I'm surprised no one has fact checked this story. How many people do we have to email to get this on snopes?

V
Legend
Legend
V

W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
I am on the fence on what to believe. I don't know him personally so I don't know his character as a person and honestly that is the only way to actually form an opinion on this subject for me.

I keep seeing and hearing he has never had an issue of drug use nor failed any other kind of UA he has taken. So on that point I have reason to believe it's merely just bad luck in this instance. If he was feeling flu like and it was in the season they would have him hooked up to an IV and flooding him with fluids that in itself would be bad for a UA so couple that with his assertion of how much water he does drink in general plus ingesting more for extra working out....it isn't out of the realm that he thought he was safe.

Why might you ask? Well for one you have players such as Joe Thomas saying even he has had diluted UA's. Do you believe Joe to be a huge pot smoker? I do not. Also like he stated even diluted he takes another hours later for clarification which honestly should be done in these cases as well. I find it quite plausible that he could be telling the truth based just on my experiences with taking nearly 800 or so UA's in my lifetime due to work related testing. I work in roofing and depending on what day a random comes up and where and what you are doing that day it isn't hard to see guys come up diluted BUT they always get to retake and not automatically considered a druggie and put on punishment. So I base this part of my torn opinion based on personal experience.

I also can totally understand that these guys in theory know exactly what to expect and should know it's coming. Generally there is no doubt this guy celebrated after the football season cus they were heading to a payday. SO there is this part of me thinking "Oh you naughty little man".

I will wait for his 90 days and if he is taken off phase one then I am happy and that is about all you can ask for because the NFL for some reason doesn't take the proper steps to retake the tests for a definative answer. That is the real issue that causes all the rumors and speculation which is unfortunate.

Legend
Legend
Man she was one gorgeous woman. (she still might be, but I can't recall seeing her in anything lately)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ohio State fans will love Woody Hayes's fiery passion and him punching a Clemson player, but think Jabrill Peppers is a horrible person for hitting a fan.

Sure, a lot of us love the passion, but I do not know anyone, OSU fan or not, who thinks him punching a player was OK.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
WhT was missed here. Isaac Hayes was Woodys grandfather

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
E
Legend
Legend
E
So basically what we got here with plenty of research and a little dislike of course from some OSU fans.

1. Peppers in his freshman year and sewing his oats with his new found freedom might HAVE GOTTEN AN STD all we know is an Anonymous maybe jilted lover slammed him with an accusation of passing on the std.

2. He is now entered in stage one of the NFL drug abuse without a trace of THC but the fact is he had a diluted Urine Sample. Considering he has a history of cramping up and was scheduled to work out with the DBs and LBs at the combine along with some air sickness...that part you can believe it or not I don't think its very relevant.

3. I think the NFL has to rethink their policy on Diluted samples. Its an Industry that during practice and games a player could exude over a gallon of hydration. I am always baffled how this play and that player is getting IVs for dehydration...I'm like why aren't these guys hydrating 3 days before Game day??? Now I'm wondering if they are cautious on having a diluted sample? This is dangerous by the NFL what if a player dies from Dehydration???

Anyways...if he is a good guy with only a dilution error in 90 days of being clean he starts from stage 0 again. It should be easily achieved.

The only thing I'm worried about is another diluted sample especially as hot weather is soon approaching. Hopefully in the NFL Stage policy they have alternatives like a re-test or blood sample and not just the one test and he goes into stage 2...they got to improve this system and get it right!
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
tab, what do you make of Sashi's comments. Is he an Ohio State fan?

E
Legend
Legend
E
Don't know...is that what you are going to fixate on, my comment of the natural dislike of a player from Michigan by OSU fans??? If you read some...not all of the posts there is some bias in there. If the shoe fits fine...if it doesn't that's good also...but there is some bias.

As far as Sashi's quote...frankly I don't remember it but I'm can only guess that is was in line with the NFL and that Peppers will have to be smart and not make another offense...complete guess on my part.

But my post had many other things. Just because I didn't pee on Peppers, I'm the bad guy??? lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
Legend
Legend
V
I never said or tried to imply that you were the bad guy. I know that I am the one who has questioned Peppers the most and I am a huge Ohio State fan. However, I have made it very clear that I could care less what college any Brown has played for. There were 3 guys from UM that I was hoping the Browns might draft. 2 for sure, and maybe one more.

I think the comments made by Sashi contradict the comments made by Peppers and his "source." Here they are again. Tell me what you think:

Quote:
Jabrill Peppers begins his Browns career in Stage One of the NFL drug program, and Sashi Brown acknowledged that the safety's livelihood will be at stake if he's not careful about what he puts in his body.

"It's certainly a factor for us,'' Brown said on draft night. "Jabrill understands. I think he's been accountable for it. He understands that it's something that he has to clean up as we move forward..."

And:

Quote:
"We talked to Jabrill about that,'' said Brown. "That's a concern for us. He understands it needs to be something that he's accountable for and responsible for what he puts in his body and understands that piece of it.''

"We did enough diligence at Michigan and through our process to understand who the young man was. We followed up to understand the sample and made the selection but Jabrill understands his NFL future, he's going to put that at stake if he continues to put himself in that type of a situation.''

E
Legend
Legend
E
Actually you were not one who made me comment about OSU...heck it could even be from OBR board as well as this. But there are some without any logic have accused him as dirt and needs to go. It is those extremist who I was alluding to. And some poster possibly have a little subconscious bias towards a Wolverine possibly I put you in that category, to be honest.

Yeah I remember the Sashi Quotes. I think he was talking about their Vetting process and outcome after he tested positive for a diluted water sample. There was concern and he did drop to 25 as he was a top 10 guy for most of the process.

I don't think he has great concern after the vetting or else no way he would have gone with Peppers (a Williams request from what I hear) from a Hue Jackson favorite Hooker.

There was not a lot of time from the announcement to the draft. I don't think its a red flag reading those comments.
Just explaining our concern over the Stage 1 process.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This happened in Maryland right next to Virginia. Antietam had a lot of soldiers. Makes saying one name easier. I'm surprised no one has fact checked this story. How many people do we have to email to get this on snopes?

lol, CHS. You're missing my point. There was 90,000 union soldiers. 40,000 Confederate soldiers (from Virginia). But in a battle with 130,000 soldiers, resulting in 20,000 casualties, how the heck would one guy know the next guy on the opposing side?

Are you thinking that Hayes' ancestry is from Maryland, right near Virginia and he somehow knew one of the 40,000 confederates? How many people do you know period? 40,000 is a lot of people. And the odds of knowing the exact confederate who killed him is ridiculously low, especially back then.

This isn't Kansas and Missouri or the Hatfields and McCoys. This was the Union Army (From all over) vs Robert E. Lee's Virginia Army (which had people coming from all over, as Lee was the Head of the South's Military).

I mean it's common sense. If Woody Hayes cared about his ancestry that much, he'd have known, Battle of Antiem, Uncle Fred was pulling my leg on Christmas when he was drunk and told me that some guy named Bauman killed my Great Grandfather at the Battle of Antiem. And chances are, with a last name as common as Bauman, that kid from South Carolina's ancestor didn't kill my Grandfather.

I mean here look at this
https://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=bauman
How many Baumans do you think are out there.

Only a person who was very mentally ill, so mentally ill that they would never be given a job coaching the OSU Buckeyes, would be able to actually believe that this guy really killed their great grand father. Woody Hayes wasn't that mentally ill. Just mentally ill enough to punch some innocent kid on the opposing team, lol

I'm sorry CHS, but you're reaching here

E
Legend
Legend
E
I was thinking the only way is if the Player in a smack mode before the game stated his Ancestor killed Woody's thats really the only way I think this is viable???

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
I was thinking the only way is if the Player in a smack mode before the game stated his Ancestor killed Woody's thats really the only way I think this is viable???

lol

W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
While I agree with your overall conclusion as to knowing specifically the exact person who killed who. I believe you are overly generalizing the Civil War in terms of not knowing who was in front of you at any given moment.

Unlike the modern age of army composition these units were more like Revolutionary War militas. These regiments and brigades etc etc were tagged and showed with pride EXACTLY where they came from and what the units names were. So while there may have been 40k troops overall on the battlefield for the CSA chances were you knew that the 15th South Carolina was in front of you and where they were generally from in that region on SC. Same with Union troops.

With all that in mind it isn't a far stretch to know what unit your great grand dad was in and exactly the unit that they were up against even in a vast battle such as Antietam. Woody was born in 1913? I believe so again it wouldn't be that far a stretch to assume that in his family the Civil War and crimes against the family would still have been a topic.

So is his story a possibility? Sure anything is possible, however, I agree with your conclusion he had no idea that in fact that kids ancestor pulled the trigger that killed his great grand dad. I just thought your reasoning was too broad for the times we were speaking of.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Vers, Like you I don't care where a player played in college- as life long Ohio State lover/Dad graduated with two degrees from there- only thing that matters is can guy play and does he fit- fit as in character/ drive Browns players should have. I assume FO did ALL necessary work on Peppers and he came out clean. Unlike what the fired radio announcer stated on air that he was "high" all the time- we don't need another Gordon picked in first round.
Until proved otherwise I believe Peppers is "clean" and should be a positive player for us for a long time.....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Wyo1975

So is his story a possibility? Sure anything is possible, however, I agree with your conclusion he had no idea that in fact that kids ancestor pulled the trigger that killed his great grand dad. I just thought your reasoning was too broad for the times we were speaking of.

This is where I'm at. I don't think the kid's ancestor killed Haye's ancestor. But I'm not so sure it was a lie made up on the spot.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Peppers Begins in Stage One

Link Copied to Clipboard