Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#1275234 05/24/17 12:35 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Myles Garrett sits out Cleveland Browns' OTA practice for precautionary reasons

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com
BEREA, Ohio -

Defensive end Myles Garrett sat out Wednesday's OTA practice session but only for precautionary reasons, a Browns team spokesman said.
Garrett, the top pick in last month's draft, began practicing on the stationary bike along with rookie safety Jabrill Peppers, veteran receiver Kenny Britt and a handful of offensive linemen.

The spokesman said Peppers' absence from the field also was precautionary and nothing major.

Garrett and the others moved on to working out with kettlebells with a trainer. During rookie minicamp earlier this month, Garrett participated in most of the drills, although he sat out the bulk of the final team period.

Browns coach Hue Jackson will update the status of the idle players after practice link

C
Legend
Legend
C

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Browns coach Hue Jackson will update the status of the idle players after practice

Looking forward to reading about why they were idle.

V
Legend
Legend
V
He seems to get hurt a lot.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
He seems to get hurt a lot.

Somebody stepped on his hand last year. Hard to put that one on him.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I thought he missed time in TC w/a soft tissue injury. And didn't he have the same issues in college?

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 05/24/17 01:08 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
I thought he missed time in TC w/a soft tissue injury. And didn't he have the same issues in college?

Yup:

Quote:
"For me, a hangnail would be concerning if you have that kind of speed (4.37),'' receivers coach Al Saunders said Tuesday. "Our trainers are phenomenal. He was kept out of practice (the past three days). He's had a history of soft tissue injuries. He's had three or four hamstring pulls. He had groin surgery recently. We just want to make sure he's right and ready to go.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/08/corey_coleman_might_sit_out_gr.html

Just pointing out that the big one last year was a freak thing.

Legend
Legend
Hue says Coleman landed on the ball, will be fine. Says team being cautious w Garrett, who's sore, and "nothing major" w Peppers and Britt.

https://twitter.com/AkronJackson/status/867432539069263872

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Hue says Coleman landed on the ball, will be fine. Says team being cautious w Garrett, who's sore, and "nothing major" w Peppers and Britt.

https://twitter.com/AkronJackson/status/867432539069263872

Crisis averted!

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I know it's OTA's, but come on. A little camp cupcake to start the year. I don't want to see them all down by week 8 like every other year.

O
Legend
Legend
O
If they're babying them now so they're ready to go hard for TC, then I'm fine with that.

Otherwise... ugh...

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
I know I am very "negative," but man.........rooks missing day one?

Why did they have to be precautionary w/these guys? Serious question.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Yeah, I'm just trying to give a potential explanation. I really have no idea, and I agree that it's a bad look.

Maybe our super smart FO and coaching staff crunched the numbers and decided that the jump rookies have to go through leading into their 1st NFL season was too big and they should baby them a bit.

Again, I'm just throwing complete guesses out there. Don't take my post as anything more than that.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
I'd rather be extra safe with all players. There is no point in pushing things in May.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Peppers hasn't been drinking any water because he's worried about a diluted sample, so he's dealing with cramps. j/k....kind of.

Definitely not ideal. If they stay healthy during the season, I won't complain, though.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
C
Legend
Legend
C

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/867422682605907968

Guest coach. Bengal fans might be mad.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Sorry. I should have put j/c.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I'd rather be extra safe with all players. There is no point in pushing things in May.

How would having players practice on the first day of OTA's be pushing things?

I am not making a big deal about this, but it's odd. And I also feel that a lack of practicing and practicing hard can lead to injuries, just like practicing too hard and being too physical can.

C
Legend
Legend
C

How would having players practice on the first day of OTA's be pushing things?

Some of the players had minor injuries.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I know I am very "negative," but man.........rooks missing day one?

Why did they have to be precautionary w/these guys? Serious question.

You weren't saying that about Bozo last year. You were saying he should sign the deal he likes.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Are you looking for a fight, peen?

I never said that he should "sign the deal he likes." You're making things up.

I said that you shouldn't call him a punk and that you did not know the entire story. I also provided several examples of SD being cheap w/other players.

That is far different than you BS claim.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
So I'm guessing everyone is taking precaution from yesterdays initial OTA's?
Must be some sore bodies I guess.
Its ok, as long as they are taking this time to learn as well as getting their bodies acclimated to contact.

If I only knew then what I know today...
B
Legend
Legend
B
Are you looking for a fight, peen?

I never said that he should "sign the deal he likes." You're making things up.

I said that you shouldn't call him a punk and that you did not know the entire story. I also provided several examples of SD being cheap w/other players.

That is far different than you BS claim.

I am. I want to kick your ass from here to next week.

LOL....I am not looking for a fight. Calm down, buddy.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL..............good thing for both of us.

V
Legend
Legend
V
How do so many players have "minor injuries" before they even practiced? It's a serious question. Do you know what their injuries are and how they were injured?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So Odell Beckham is skipping giants OTA and practicing with Johnny Manziel notallthere

Joe Thomas #73
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
How do so many players have "minor injuries" before they even practiced? It's a serious question. Do you know what their injuries are and how they were injured?

Haven't the rookies just practiced for a week?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/867422682605907968

Guest coach. Bengal fans might be mad.

Anthony Munoz. Bruce Smith.

If the quality of guest coaches matters, we're golden. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Good point. Were they injured there? Do you know what their injuries are?

I am not trying to be difficult. I really wanna know.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, that's pretty awesome!

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Don't forget Wylie coached Anthony Munoz. Bob was well respected.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

1. We have to remember these rookies have been training HARD none stop since January. Muscles are vulnerable.

2. Also in that pic it looks like the weather is a cold and damp.

3. Hey if a rookie, UDFA or overall #1 pick is sore...best have him riding the bike and doing some drills. Take it easy.

Right away its camp Cupcake and why is this guy slacking and that.

Lets get these muscles in working order for the hard work still yet to come and then the Season.

That is why there is the Rookie Wall.
Season ends...then they have the Bowl game.
Then they go to special camps to prepare for the Combine.

They also have possibly the East West Shrine game and Senior Bowl.

After the combine they have their PRO Day Workouts from their colleges.

Outside of ONE GUY we don't anyone with noted Slacker traits.

I think its very wise to be careful with these kids...its a long season.

Sometimes you guys pout and worry about nothing...lol relax and smell the roses! grin

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BADdog
So Odell Beckham is skipping giants OTA and practicing with Johnny Manziel notallthere

Practicing with Johnny Manziel:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
lol now that's funny

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
You made me laugh! smile

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Corey Coleman likely idle, Myles Garrett could be limited and more Browns buzz from OTAs week 2
Updated May 30, 2017
Posted May 30, 2017

-

Corey Coleman likely idle, Myles Garrett limited and
The Browns kick off week two of organized team activities today, which consists of three practices, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Like last week, the only practice open to the media is on Wednesday. The 10 OTAs, which conclude next week, lead into the mandatory fullsquad minicamp June 13-15.
Last week, Cody Kessler began OTAs as the first-team quarterback and the man to beat in the open competition. He showed off his increased arm strength and talked about it afterwards.

Brock Osweiler revealed he “absolutely’’ expects to be the opening day starter, and took many of the second-team reps.

DeShone Kizer was third or fourth in the rotation along with Kevin Hogan, but also got some first team reps. He talked about being stuck like glue to Hue Jackson, which will accelerate his learning curve.

Here are some things to watch for in week two:
By Mary Kay Cabot

1. Corey Coleman expected to rest
Coleman will most likely rest this week after coming down hard on the ball after a deep, leaping catch from Brock Osweiler last week.

Coleman remained down on the field for about three minutes with a trainer over him, and Hue Jackson came over and helped him up. He made the long trek into the locker room very slowly, but didn’t favor any particular body part. However, he had the look on his face of a player who knew he might need a little time off.

Coleman’s issue is not believed to be serious, but the Browns are being extra cautious at this time of year, and there’s no rush to get him out there. They’re counting on Coleman to make a big jump this season, and need him to stay healthy. With Kenny Britt also resting last week, that means more reps for Ricardo Louis and Rashard Higgins, who need to produce this year.

2. Myles Garrett likely limited
Garrett hoped to be “full-tilt’’ this week with the “the little nick’’ that sidelined him for the first week of OTAs, but he’ll probably be limited instead.
Again, the Browns have no need to rush their No. 1 overall pick into voluntary non-contact drills at this time of year.

He was plagued all last year by a high ankle, sprain, and they need him 100% for the season.

Garrett was one of two Browns’ 2017 first-round picks who sat out the first week of organized team activities with minor injuries along with No. 25 overall pick Jabrill Peppers. The Browns don’t have to reveal the nature of the injuries at this time of year, and for the most part they won’t.

Garrett rode the exercise bike with the other recovering players at the start of practice, and also worked out with kettlebells. It’s likely a lower-body issue, but it’s not believed to be the high ankle sprain that hampered him last season.

If Garrett does practice at all this week, he won’t be going up against Joe Thomas, who’s preserving his body at this time of year as in previous seasons.

3. Joel Bitonio and John Greco making good progress
Guards Bitonio and Greco both underwent Lisfranc midfoot surgery last season, and both are still working off to the sides with trainers. They’ll likely sit out all of OTAs and the mandatory minicamp, and then be worked in slowly after training camp begins in late July.

Bitonio had his surgery in October and further than Greco, who had his in December. It can take up to a year to cover from midfoot surgery, but the Browns are hopeful that Bitonio, who signed an extension in the offseason, will be ready for the start of the season in September and return to his Pro Bowl-caliber form at left guard. As for right guard, free-agent pickup Kevin Zeitler will start in Greco’s old spot.

4. DeShone Kizer ready for more?
Kizer began practice last week as the fourth quarterback in the rotation behind Cody Kessler, Brock Osweiler and Kevin Hogan. But he was pulled up for some first-team reps last week, and responded with one of the best plays of the day - a perfectly thrown deep ball to Rashard Higgins.

Such completions will undoubtedly earn Kizer a few more first-team reps through the OTAs and minicamp.  He also threw an interception, but promised not to make the same mistake twice.

Kessler will continue to get most of the first-team reps through OTAs, but Kizer will gradually receive more to see how he handles them.

In rookie camp and the first week of OTAs, Kizer displayed good arm strength, size, mobility and decision-making. He’ll need to play at some point this season so the Browns can decide if they need to use any of their five picks in the first two rounds next season on a QB. Hue Jackson is working with him closely in practice to get him ready to play. But he held his own in the first week of OTAs and is coming up the learning curve quickly.

5. The defensive front is shaping up
The front seven looked fast and explosive in non-contact practices last week and is shaping up to be a strength of the team. Jamie Collins has established himself as a leader and Danny Shelton is lighter than at the end of last season and quicker off the ball.

Desmond Bryant, coming off a torn pectoral muscle, was not at OTAs last week, but could make an appearance this week. The team hopes he can add to the pass-rush this season.

Edge-rusher Nate Orchard is back from his ankle injury, and Carl Nassib is working on leg strength to improve his burst. When Myles Garrett is added to the mix, this will have the makings of a formidable front.
cleveland.com

B
Legend
Legend
B
Orchard and Nassib are big question marks to me. Of the two, I think Orchard is the better player. I think it is going to be hard for both to make the team.

At any rate, it is going to be hard to cut down. In a 4-3 we are going to keep more D linemen, but how many? 8-9 seems like the max.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
IDK, both should be in the DE rotation.

Orchard looks bigger and Nassib , should be able to anchor better vs the run with a year of added core strength.

I'm not down on Nassib whatsoever.

I like our DL additions too, and they will make this group a strong one.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I read an article somewhere along the way that said that Nassib was working a lot on lower body strength. (implied that it was at the coach's suggestion)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum OTA's and Mini Camp.

Link Copied to Clipboard