DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Mourgrym OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 04:35 PM

Myles Garrett sits out Cleveland Browns' OTA practice for precautionary reasons

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com
BEREA, Ohio -

Defensive end Myles Garrett sat out Wednesday's OTA practice session but only for precautionary reasons, a Browns team spokesman said.
Garrett, the top pick in last month's draft, began practicing on the stationary bike along with rookie safety Jabrill Peppers, veteran receiver Kenny Britt and a handful of offensive linemen.

The spokesman said Peppers' absence from the field also was precautionary and nothing major.

Garrett and the others moved on to working out with kettlebells with a trainer. During rookie minicamp earlier this month, Garrett participated in most of the drills, although he sat out the bulk of the final team period.

Browns coach Hue Jackson will update the status of the idle players after practice link
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 04:57 PM
Coleman got hurt today.

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/867422803980677120
https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/867423640861777921
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 05:03 PM
Quote:
Browns coach Hue Jackson will update the status of the idle players after practice

Looking forward to reading about why they were idle.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 05:03 PM
He seems to get hurt a lot.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
He seems to get hurt a lot.

Somebody stepped on his hand last year. Hard to put that one on him.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 05:07 PM
I thought he missed time in TC w/a soft tissue injury. And didn't he have the same issues in college?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 05:12 PM
I thought he missed time in TC w/a soft tissue injury. And didn't he have the same issues in college?

Yup:

Quote:
"For me, a hangnail would be concerning if you have that kind of speed (4.37),'' receivers coach Al Saunders said Tuesday. "Our trainers are phenomenal. He was kept out of practice (the past three days). He's had a history of soft tissue injuries. He's had three or four hamstring pulls. He had groin surgery recently. We just want to make sure he's right and ready to go.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/08/corey_coleman_might_sit_out_gr.html

Just pointing out that the big one last year was a freak thing.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 05:37 PM
Hue says Coleman landed on the ball, will be fine. Says team being cautious w Garrett, who's sore, and "nothing major" w Peppers and Britt.

https://twitter.com/AkronJackson/status/867432539069263872
Posted By: Pdawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 05:46 PM
Hue's post practice presser.

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/867432337251852288
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 06:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Hue says Coleman landed on the ball, will be fine. Says team being cautious w Garrett, who's sore, and "nothing major" w Peppers and Britt.

https://twitter.com/AkronJackson/status/867432539069263872

Crisis averted!
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 09:30 PM
I know it's OTA's, but come on. A little camp cupcake to start the year. I don't want to see them all down by week 8 like every other year.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 09:42 PM
If they're babying them now so they're ready to go hard for TC, then I'm fine with that.

Otherwise... ugh...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 11:04 PM
I know I am very "negative," but man.........rooks missing day one?

Why did they have to be precautionary w/these guys? Serious question.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 11:14 PM
Yeah, I'm just trying to give a potential explanation. I really have no idea, and I agree that it's a bad look.

Maybe our super smart FO and coaching staff crunched the numbers and decided that the jump rookies have to go through leading into their 1st NFL season was too big and they should baby them a bit.

Again, I'm just throwing complete guesses out there. Don't take my post as anything more than that.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 11:16 PM
I'd rather be extra safe with all players. There is no point in pushing things in May.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 11:17 PM
Peppers hasn't been drinking any water because he's worried about a diluted sample, so he's dealing with cramps. j/k....kind of.

Definitely not ideal. If they stay healthy during the season, I won't complain, though.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 11:34 PM

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/867422682605907968

Guest coach. Bengal fans might be mad.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 11:35 PM
Sorry. I should have put j/c.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 11:38 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I'd rather be extra safe with all players. There is no point in pushing things in May.

How would having players practice on the first day of OTA's be pushing things?

I am not making a big deal about this, but it's odd. And I also feel that a lack of practicing and practicing hard can lead to injuries, just like practicing too hard and being too physical can.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 11:41 PM

How would having players practice on the first day of OTA's be pushing things?

Some of the players had minor injuries.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 11:43 PM
I know I am very "negative," but man.........rooks missing day one?

Why did they have to be precautionary w/these guys? Serious question.

You weren't saying that about Bozo last year. You were saying he should sign the deal he likes.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 11:47 PM
Are you looking for a fight, peen?

I never said that he should "sign the deal he likes." You're making things up.

I said that you shouldn't call him a punk and that you did not know the entire story. I also provided several examples of SD being cheap w/other players.

That is far different than you BS claim.
Posted By: Gamebreaker Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/24/17 11:48 PM
So I'm guessing everyone is taking precaution from yesterdays initial OTA's?
Must be some sore bodies I guess.
Its ok, as long as they are taking this time to learn as well as getting their bodies acclimated to contact.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/25/17 12:17 AM
Are you looking for a fight, peen?

I never said that he should "sign the deal he likes." You're making things up.

I said that you shouldn't call him a punk and that you did not know the entire story. I also provided several examples of SD being cheap w/other players.

That is far different than you BS claim.

I am. I want to kick your ass from here to next week.

LOL....I am not looking for a fight. Calm down, buddy.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/25/17 12:21 AM
LOL..............good thing for both of us.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/25/17 01:00 AM
How do so many players have "minor injuries" before they even practiced? It's a serious question. Do you know what their injuries are and how they were injured?
Posted By: BADdog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/25/17 01:26 AM
So Odell Beckham is skipping giants OTA and practicing with Johnny Manziel notallthere
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/25/17 01:58 AM
How do so many players have "minor injuries" before they even practiced? It's a serious question. Do you know what their injuries are and how they were injured?

Haven't the rookies just practiced for a week?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/25/17 02:22 AM

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/867422682605907968

Guest coach. Bengal fans might be mad.

Anthony Munoz. Bruce Smith.

If the quality of guest coaches matters, we're golden. wink
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/25/17 02:40 AM
Good point. Were they injured there? Do you know what their injuries are?

I am not trying to be difficult. I really wanna know.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/25/17 02:40 AM
Yeah, that's pretty awesome!
Posted By: bugs Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/25/17 02:41 AM
Don't forget Wylie coached Anthony Munoz. Bob was well respected.
Posted By: eotab Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/25/17 02:32 PM
j/c...

1. We have to remember these rookies have been training HARD none stop since January. Muscles are vulnerable.

2. Also in that pic it looks like the weather is a cold and damp.

3. Hey if a rookie, UDFA or overall #1 pick is sore...best have him riding the bike and doing some drills. Take it easy.

Right away its camp Cupcake and why is this guy slacking and that.

Lets get these muscles in working order for the hard work still yet to come and then the Season.

That is why there is the Rookie Wall.
Season ends...then they have the Bowl game.
Then they go to special camps to prepare for the Combine.

They also have possibly the East West Shrine game and Senior Bowl.

After the combine they have their PRO Day Workouts from their colleges.

Outside of ONE GUY we don't anyone with noted Slacker traits.

I think its very wise to be careful with these kids...its a long season.

Sometimes you guys pout and worry about nothing...lol relax and smell the roses! grin
Posted By: CalDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/25/17 03:24 PM
Originally Posted By: BADdog
So Odell Beckham is skipping giants OTA and practicing with Johnny Manziel notallthere

Practicing with Johnny Manziel:

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/25/17 04:24 PM
lol now that's funny
Posted By: lampdogg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/26/17 01:23 AM
You made me laugh! smile
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/30/17 06:52 PM
Corey Coleman likely idle, Myles Garrett could be limited and more Browns buzz from OTAs week 2
Updated May 30, 2017
Posted May 30, 2017

-

Corey Coleman likely idle, Myles Garrett limited and
The Browns kick off week two of organized team activities today, which consists of three practices, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Like last week, the only practice open to the media is on Wednesday. The 10 OTAs, which conclude next week, lead into the mandatory fullsquad minicamp June 13-15.
Last week, Cody Kessler began OTAs as the first-team quarterback and the man to beat in the open competition. He showed off his increased arm strength and talked about it afterwards.

Brock Osweiler revealed he “absolutely’’ expects to be the opening day starter, and took many of the second-team reps.

DeShone Kizer was third or fourth in the rotation along with Kevin Hogan, but also got some first team reps. He talked about being stuck like glue to Hue Jackson, which will accelerate his learning curve.

Here are some things to watch for in week two:
By Mary Kay Cabot

1. Corey Coleman expected to rest
Coleman will most likely rest this week after coming down hard on the ball after a deep, leaping catch from Brock Osweiler last week.

Coleman remained down on the field for about three minutes with a trainer over him, and Hue Jackson came over and helped him up. He made the long trek into the locker room very slowly, but didn’t favor any particular body part. However, he had the look on his face of a player who knew he might need a little time off.

Coleman’s issue is not believed to be serious, but the Browns are being extra cautious at this time of year, and there’s no rush to get him out there. They’re counting on Coleman to make a big jump this season, and need him to stay healthy. With Kenny Britt also resting last week, that means more reps for Ricardo Louis and Rashard Higgins, who need to produce this year.

2. Myles Garrett likely limited
Garrett hoped to be “full-tilt’’ this week with the “the little nick’’ that sidelined him for the first week of OTAs, but he’ll probably be limited instead.
Again, the Browns have no need to rush their No. 1 overall pick into voluntary non-contact drills at this time of year.

He was plagued all last year by a high ankle, sprain, and they need him 100% for the season.

Garrett was one of two Browns’ 2017 first-round picks who sat out the first week of organized team activities with minor injuries along with No. 25 overall pick Jabrill Peppers. The Browns don’t have to reveal the nature of the injuries at this time of year, and for the most part they won’t.

Garrett rode the exercise bike with the other recovering players at the start of practice, and also worked out with kettlebells. It’s likely a lower-body issue, but it’s not believed to be the high ankle sprain that hampered him last season.

If Garrett does practice at all this week, he won’t be going up against Joe Thomas, who’s preserving his body at this time of year as in previous seasons.

3. Joel Bitonio and John Greco making good progress
Guards Bitonio and Greco both underwent Lisfranc midfoot surgery last season, and both are still working off to the sides with trainers. They’ll likely sit out all of OTAs and the mandatory minicamp, and then be worked in slowly after training camp begins in late July.

Bitonio had his surgery in October and further than Greco, who had his in December. It can take up to a year to cover from midfoot surgery, but the Browns are hopeful that Bitonio, who signed an extension in the offseason, will be ready for the start of the season in September and return to his Pro Bowl-caliber form at left guard. As for right guard, free-agent pickup Kevin Zeitler will start in Greco’s old spot.

4. DeShone Kizer ready for more?
Kizer began practice last week as the fourth quarterback in the rotation behind Cody Kessler, Brock Osweiler and Kevin Hogan. But he was pulled up for some first-team reps last week, and responded with one of the best plays of the day - a perfectly thrown deep ball to Rashard Higgins.

Such completions will undoubtedly earn Kizer a few more first-team reps through the OTAs and minicamp.  He also threw an interception, but promised not to make the same mistake twice.

Kessler will continue to get most of the first-team reps through OTAs, but Kizer will gradually receive more to see how he handles them.

In rookie camp and the first week of OTAs, Kizer displayed good arm strength, size, mobility and decision-making. He’ll need to play at some point this season so the Browns can decide if they need to use any of their five picks in the first two rounds next season on a QB. Hue Jackson is working with him closely in practice to get him ready to play. But he held his own in the first week of OTAs and is coming up the learning curve quickly.

5. The defensive front is shaping up
The front seven looked fast and explosive in non-contact practices last week and is shaping up to be a strength of the team. Jamie Collins has established himself as a leader and Danny Shelton is lighter than at the end of last season and quicker off the ball.

Desmond Bryant, coming off a torn pectoral muscle, was not at OTAs last week, but could make an appearance this week. The team hopes he can add to the pass-rush this season.

Edge-rusher Nate Orchard is back from his ankle injury, and Carl Nassib is working on leg strength to improve his burst. When Myles Garrett is added to the mix, this will have the makings of a formidable front.
cleveland.com
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/30/17 08:46 PM
Orchard and Nassib are big question marks to me. Of the two, I think Orchard is the better player. I think it is going to be hard for both to make the team.

At any rate, it is going to be hard to cut down. In a 4-3 we are going to keep more D linemen, but how many? 8-9 seems like the max.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/30/17 09:09 PM
IDK, both should be in the DE rotation.

Orchard looks bigger and Nassib , should be able to anchor better vs the run with a year of added core strength.

I'm not down on Nassib whatsoever.

I like our DL additions too, and they will make this group a strong one.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/30/17 09:19 PM
I read an article somewhere along the way that said that Nassib was working a lot on lower body strength. (implied that it was at the coach's suggestion)
Posted By: texaslostdawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/30/17 09:31 PM
Gotta sppreciate players that work on aspects of their game that are lacking.

Seems the coaching staff has given some of these guys some off season homework
Posted By: ddubia Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/30/17 10:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Desmond Bryant, coming off a torn pectoral muscle, was not at OTAs last week, but could make an appearance this week. The team hopes he can add to the pass-rush this season.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/30/17 10:49 PM
Originally Posted By: ddubia

Sounds like the team is being respectful to a veteran coming off of injury. We don't even know if he is healthy yet, or if he has passed a physical.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/30/17 10:50 PM
Not speaking for ddub, but I think he liked how the team was viewing how Bryant can help the pass rush this year.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/30/17 11:31 PM
I like DB.

All I am saying is some guys we like aren't going to make the team. It's a good grouping of players and all of them aren't going to make the cut.

Again, how many D-linemen can we carry? It's not like those guys have versitility at other positions. Maybe blocking on fieldgoal kicks, but you have O-linemen to do that. They aren't like backers or DB's who can help in all areas of special teams other than snapping or kicking the ball. OK....add in holding....QB's usually get that duty. I guess you want someone who might be able to throw the ball on a fake or botched snap or hold.
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/30/17 11:59 PM
When Bryant was healthy, he was our best.
Posted By: ddubia Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/31/17 02:19 AM
Not speaking for ddub, but I think he liked how the team was viewing how Bryant can help the pass rush this year.

Yeah that's it, if true.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/31/17 02:26 AM
I hope it is true because I think he is a very good player and he would make our team better.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/31/17 05:21 AM
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19
When Bryant was healthy, he was our best.

Absolutely. If healthy he can give us that inside pressure to go along with our outside rushers. Our other DT aren't really known for that, nor do they have his length.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/31/17 04:37 PM
Brock Osweiler having left knee looked at after incidental contact in team drills. Went down immediately and came up limping
https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/869957438191149061
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/31/17 04:37 PM
Mary Kay Cabot‏Verified account @MaryKayCabot 2m2 minutes ago
More
#Browns Osweiler now up practicing dropbacks, helmet on

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/869958046964867072
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/31/17 04:38 PM
Brock Osweiler got up after having left knee checked by athletic trainer and practiced drop backs. Put helmet back on
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/31/17 05:29 PM
Just a little love bump lol...
Posted By: CalDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/31/17 05:40 PM
Welcome to the new Browns, where even our incidental contact hits are potentially season ending.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/31/17 07:12 PM
BROWNS NOTES Browns WR Corey Coleman could miss rest of offseason; No. 1 pick Myles Garrett doesn't practice but expected to Thursday
ByScott Petrak | The Chronicle-Telegram

BEREA -- Browns receiver Corey Coleman could miss the rest of the offseason program after landing hard last week while making a deep catch down the sideline during organized team activities.

Coleman didn’t practice Wednesday, spending time on the stationary bike and working on the side with the training staff.

“Right now I’m going to keep him out for a little while and again, that was a tough spill for him,” coach Hue Jackson said after practice. “A little tougher than I thought, but he’s making his way through. He wants to be back out there right now, but I just think now is the time if a guy is kind of banged up a little bit to make sure they take care of him so that we get him back for training camp. But we’ll see how it all unfolds here at the end.”

Jackson said it doesn’t make sense to rush Coleman back at this time of the year.

“I don’t think it’s sticking a guy out there if there is something that may be a little minor wrong with him so that all of a sudden it becomes something major and we get to training camp and we don’t have him,” Jackson said. “So we’re going to play the cautious side of this and go from there.”

Coleman was the No. 15 pick in the 2016 draft and had a disappointing rookie season. He missed six games with a broken hand and finished with 33 catches for 413 yards, a 12.5 average and three touchdowns.

Jackson has said Coleman must assert himself this season.

“I think he’s demonstrated the ability that we’re looking for. Obviously he’s got to do it in a game,” Jackson said. “He’s done a good job. He’s improved, I stand behind my statement that I made earlier that he’s got to be the guy to do it for us. That’s what we drafted him for and I’m sure he’ll do that.”

Jackson wouldn’t reveal the specifics of the injury but said Coleman doesn’t have a broken bone.

GARRETT WORKING WAY BACK

No. 1 pick Myles Garrett promised last week to be “full tilt” when organized team activities resumed this week.

But Wednesday, the rookie defensive end again didn’t practice, spending time on the side working with the training staff.

Jackson said Garrett practiced Tuesday, will practice again Thursday and is “right where we need to be.” He’s battling an injury Jackson called “nothing major.”

“I just want to take it easy, make sure that we’re getting there,” Jackson said. “Did a good job yesterday, and he’ll practice tomorrow. He’s doing good.

“He looked like Myles Garrett. Big, fast, tough. He’s everything we think he is.”

Jackson wouldn’t reveal the nature of the injury but said it’s not related to the high ankle sprain that limited Garrett in his final season at Texas A&M.

http://www.chroniclet.com/browns-notes/2...o-Thursday.html
Posted By: Demo44 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/31/17 07:33 PM
What's with Coleman?

I know it's precautionary.
I know it's very early in OTA's so way risk it.

I'm just getting a little tiered of this guy not progressing with the rest of the team. A portion of camp last yr. Freak hand injury, ( not his fault ). Now he falls on the ball awkwardly & that's it!

Listen, they all take knocks at practice. but out till MC for falling on the ball...please.

In the beginning people were comparing him to a Steve Smith type receiver, right now not in toughness.

I'm hoping this kid isn't glass & gets his butt out on the field for some meaningful reps. Suck it up, be a major part of this rebuild, not limping to the dressing rm. because you squished your left nut going for a pass.

If this pussiness continues into camp, the Browns should be very concerned going forward.

Is it just me, or are the new wave of #1 pick WR's all off to bad starts. Look at us, Buff, Wash, Balt, Chi, Minn & maybe Mia, all hurt with very low production.

Posted By: Milk Man Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/31/17 07:49 PM
I see the Browns are again holding their annual Camp Stationary Bike.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/31/17 09:02 PM
Another offseason being missed by Corey? Awesome thumbsdown
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/31/17 10:01 PM
It is a bit disheartening, but if he is hurt, he's hurt.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/31/17 10:05 PM
Shelton as Red Zone lead blocker? Give him a Fridge carry? Tough to stop.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/31/17 10:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

No. That would tick me off. I have Crow in my money keeper league. I don't need Danny friggen Shelton siphoning TD carries away from Crow! tongue
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/31/17 10:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

He's missed two OTAs.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 05/31/17 11:35 PM
He's missed a significant amount of time in college and the pros.

The guy needs to be practicing because he needs a ton of work on perfecting his route running. I would have no problem if they kept him out of team drills where there might be contact, but the guy is raw as can be and not being on the field perfecting his craft is a negative.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/01/17 12:08 AM

He's missed two OTAs.

Rumor has it he'll miss extended time. If he makes it to training camp, we'll have to treat him like a cupcake.

His injury issues isn't just NFL related. I'm beginning to really wonder about this pick since we burned such a high one on him. Our WR core is weak and we're relying on a kid that cannot even get passed a practice with no pads on.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/01/17 01:14 AM
It's not a big worry yet, but I get ya.
Posted By: Demo44 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/01/17 03:19 AM
So, every time he makes an serious effort to catch the ball, the team needs to brace themselves & hope it's not another four game stretch of recovery.

It's getting to the point of embarrassment when Sirus radio is reporting his injury in a sarcastic manner.

Come on, we could go out and play touch football & do the same thing and not miss a snap.

This [censored] behaviour is totally counterproductive to where the team is going right now. The team needs him to take every productive snap possible, not guessing when he's going to feel up to contributing.

Your not in collage anymore, your not top dog at Baylor, it's time to shine because the team needs you too. Either you start to act like a # 1 or you can join Erving as a forth yr. bust fighting for a special team job for the rest of your career.
Posted By: highoman Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/01/17 04:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

No. That would tick me off. I have Crow in my money keeper league. I don't need Danny friggen Shelton siphoning TD carries away from Crow! tongue

I tend to be a homer and have a brown on my team. But a keeper? Money?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/01/17 11:17 AM
Quote:

This [censored] behaviour is totally counterproductive to where the team is going right now. The team needs him to take every productive snap possible, not guessing when he's going to feel up to contributing.

I don't get the feeling that it has anything to do w/behavior or wanting to contribute. That seems harsh at this point.

I just think he gets hurt a lot. I do wish he was able to do Individual drills and not Team drills, so he could at least work on improving his route running.
Posted By: Hammer Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/01/17 01:41 PM
So true. Crowell as a keeper in a money league - wow. Pickings must be slim...
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/01/17 09:35 PM
AWESOME!

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...d5-28b57fdbbd86

"The sight of Desmond Bryant back out on the Browns’ practice field on Wednesday afternoon was a welcomed one."
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/01/17 09:50 PM
Wow. Score. I stand by it. Fridge, Siragusa, I think. Bettis.

Whatever you need, fine. Just a consideration.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/01/17 10:10 PM
Originally Posted By: highoman

I tend to be a homer and have a brown on my team. But a keeper? Money?

Yes. It's a keeper league. The buy in is $300. you have 2qb;s, 3 rbs' 3 wr, 1 te, 1 flex, 1 D and 1 K. You can keep any of those players from last years roster. There are 14 other players on your roster. You can keep 1. All the rest go in to the draft pool with all the rookies and other players. Then you draft your new team.
Posted By: Vambo Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/01/17 11:39 PM
Browns sign RB Terrence Magee

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...2d-aa46d3fc2385

The Cleveland Browns have signed RB Terrence Magee. To make room on the roster, the team waived RB Darius Jackson with an injury designation (knee).

Magee is 5-9, 220 pounds and officially a first-year player out of LSU where he rushed for 1,330 career yards and 12 TDs. Originally signed by the Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted free agent in 2015, he has appeared in six career games. He spent seven weeks on the Browns’ practice squad in 2016 before being signed to Seattle’s active roster. He is a native of Franklinton, La.

Jackson was inactive for 13 games with the Cowboys last season before being claimed off waivers by Browns prior to Week 15. He was inactive all three games with Cleveland.
Posted By: Vambo Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/01/17 11:46 PM
Browns' Corey Coleman's injuries include a sore hamstring, source says

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/06/browns_corey_colemans_injuries.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Corey Coleman's injuries, which could sideline him until training camp in late July, include a sore hamstring, a league source told cleveland.com.

But that's not all that's ailing Coleman.

He's believed to have suffered another unspecified injury from what Hue Jackson described as a "tough spill'' in organized team activities last week that he'll need time to recover from.

The Browns don't have to be specific about injuries in the offseason, and they haven't been to this point.

The hamstring issue is significant, however, because Coleman has a history of soft tissue injuries, and missed the first two preseason game last year after injuring one in an intrasquad scrimmage near the start of training camp.

Last week, in the first week of OTAs, Coleman went up for a pass from Brock Osweiler and came down hard on the ball. What's more, a player landed on top of him.

Coach Hue Jackson acknowledged Wednesday that Coleman could be idle until training camp in July. If so, he will have missed eight OTAs and the mandatory full squad minicamp June 13-15.

With the Browns in the midst of a heated quarterback competition, Coleman's absence will be felt.

"Right now I'm going to keep him out for a little while and again, that was a tough spill for him,'' Jackson said after practice Wednesday. "A little tougher than I thought, but he's making his way through. You know Corey. He wants to be back out there right now, but I just think now is the time if a guy is kind of banged up a little bit to make sure they take care of him so that we get him back for training camp. But we'll see how it all unfolds here at the end.''

Coleman's time off is also at least a mild concern, because Jackson had called on last year's No. 15 overall pick to step it up this season.

"It's time to make the next jump," Jackson said at the NFL Annual Meeting in Phoenix in March. "He's very talented as we all know. He's worked extremely hard thus far this offseason, and he wants to come in and prove that last year was just what it was, his first year in the league.

"Then he needed to understand what this league was all about, and I think he found out very quickly there's more to it than what he knew and he's looking forward it. I think he's going to take the next jump this year."

In addition to the setback in training camp, Coleman suffered a broken hand in practice after the second regular season game and missed the next six outings.

He never really caught up, finishing the season with 33 catches in 10 starts for 413 yards and three TDs. After returning from the broken hand, he caught only one TD pass and never had more than 41 yards receiving.

"It set him back,'' Jackson said at the meetings. "Anytime you're a rookie and you start playing and all of a sudden you don't practice, it's just different," Jackson said.
"His rookie year was OK, not great. We all have different expectations for a first-round draft pick. But we see the potential of what he can be and what he will be and he's doing the work right now that it takes to get there."

The severity of the hamstring is unknown, but the Browns will be cautious with it, especially at this time of year and because Coleman has struggled with tight hamstrings since his Baylor days.

He redshirted his freshman year because of hamstring injuries, and was still plagued by it in his true freshman year in 2013, when he was limited to 35 catches for 527 yards in 10 starts. The following year, in 2014, Coleman sat out the first three games of the season with a pulled hamstring and started only six contests. Still, he managed 64 receptions for 1,119 yards and 11 touchdowns.

As a junior, Coleman played through a groin injury the final four games of the season, combining for only 185 yards and no touchdowns in those outings. In the previous eight games, he averaged 147 yards and 20 TDs en route to numerous Baylor records. He sat out the Russell Athletic Bowl against North Carolina and underwent sports hernia surgery in December of 2015.

Given all of that and Coleman's injury history here as a rookie, Jackson understands the interest in his plight, even at this time of year.

"Nobody wants to lose a good player in a practice at any time,'' Jackson said. "But I know those things happen and again, like I said, if I wanted to push him through it, I could, but what's most important is that we get him back. He's demonstrated the ability that we're looking for. Obviously he's got to do it in a game.

"There's no games right now, and the most important thing for the whole football team is health. He's done a good job. He's improved, I stand behind my statement that he's got to be the guy to do it for us. That's what we drafted him for and I'm sure he'll do that.''

He just needs to be healthy to do it.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/01/17 11:47 PM
That is a problem.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/01/17 11:51 PM
Kind of surprising about Jackson. I thought the Browns were high on him.

Coleman? Again, I really wish he was healthy enough to at least go through individual drills. He's so stinking raw.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/01/17 11:54 PM

I wonder how severe the injury is.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/01/17 11:55 PM
That is a problem.

Kinda my thought as well.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/02/17 12:00 AM

Good point. I was thinking about that and maybe shouldn't have written what I did. I just didn't know how to correctly get out the point that the Browns initially liked him a lot.

But, you are right...........it could be all about the injury.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/02/17 12:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Vambo
Browns' Corey Coleman's injuries include a sore hamstring, source says

thumbsdown thumbsdown
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/02/17 12:07 AM

Good point. I was thinking about that and maybe shouldn't have written what I did. I just didn't know how to correctly get out the point that the Browns initially liked him a lot.

But, you are right...........it could be all about the injury.

We also drafted that running back (Matthew Dayes), so Jackson probably moved down the pecking order because of that too.

It is probably a move that won't matter much (Hi Willie Snead!).
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/02/17 12:13 AM
LOL..........I was nodding my head agreeing w/you and then you dropped the Willie Snead bomb on me. rofl
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/02/17 12:54 PM

Coleman? Again, I really wish he was healthy enough to at least go through individual drills. He's so stinking raw.

I'm guessing that he will likely be IR'd by us if he passes waivers. I too remember much favorable hype when we first snagged that guy.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/02/17 06:10 PM
Key word in the sentence...... hype.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/03/17 12:25 PM
j/c

Pluto article split into four parts: OTA's, Brock, Pryor & FO

ABOUT THE BROWNS

1. In this week's OTAs, the coaches were pleased by the overall talent at quarterback -- compared to last season. Cody Kessler remains at the top of the depth chart and that will remain the same heading into veterans camp. Rookie DeShone Kizer and Osweiler both showed excellent arm strength. No one is saying the quarterback question is solved, but there seems to be early signs of progress.

2. I heard that Kenny Britt practiced on Thursday. He had missed the two OTA sessions open to the media because of minor injuries. Britt becomes even more important with Corey Coleman having hamstring issues.

3. I'd like to think Coleman will be healthy and stay healthy in the regular season. But he did miss games in college with hamstring problems. He missed part of the 2016 training camp because of hamstring problems. He is a speed player, and this is a concern.

4. I hear Ricardo Louis has had some nice moments in the OTAs, especially the ones not open to the media. That would really help if the 2016 fourth-rounder begins to figure out how to play receiver in the NFL. He was an asset on special teams last season.

5. Isaiah Crowell continues to impress at running back. He looks in great shape. He is the next target to sign an extension.

Link
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/05/17 08:12 AM

He went unclaimed, so he's now on our IR.

Browns' Darius Jackson: Reverts to injured reserve
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire
Jackson (knee) cleared waivers and reverted to the Browns' injured reserve.

Jackson was waived Thursday after the 2016 sixth-round pick injured his knee. Unless he reaches an injury settlement with the team, he's likely stuck on injured reserve for the remainder of the season.
Posted By: Vambo Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/05/17 08:51 PM
Browns confident WR Corey Coleman poised for big season

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...7c-b02749597905

Corey Coleman could miss some time, but the Browns are confident the second-year wide receiver and 2016 first-round NFL Draft pick is poised for a big season.

Head coach Hue Jackson said Wednesday that Coleman — who fell awkwardly last week in practice — will be held back in an effort to err on the side of caution with him and others with various bumps and bruises.

“That was a tough spill for him, a little tougher than I thought,” Jackson said. “He’s making his way through. You know Corey, he wants to be back out there right now. I just think that now is a time that if a guy is kind of banged up a little bit to make sure that we take care of him so that we can get him back for our training camp. We will see how it all unfolds at the end.”

After challenging Coleman to step up following his rookie season, Jackson said he understands how the optics of such an injury are less than ideal.

“Nobody wants to lose a good player at practice or at any time, but I know those things happen. Again, if I wanted to push him through it, I could,” he said.

“What’s most important is that we get him back. He has demonstrated the ability that we are looking for. Obviously, he has got to do it in the game. There are no games right now. The most important thing for the whole football team is health. It is making sure that we can get everybody back when it really starts to count ready to play.”

When that time comes next fall, the hope is that Coleman — who caught 33 passes for 413 yards and three touchdowns in 2016 — plays a significant role on a new-look offense. After parting ways in free agency with leading receiver Terrelle Pryor, the Browns are counting on Coleman and newcomer Kenny Britt to lead a young wide receivers room.

“Those guys have got to continue to step up, and they have. We have a lot of young players at that position that (senior offensive assistant) Al Saunders has done a great job of mentoring and developing,” he said.

“We have to see if they can play. That whole group has got to take another jump because we are young at that position. We all know that and respect that and understand it. We have to see if those guys can make the jump, and that is what we are getting the chance to see right now.”

Coleman, the former Baylor star and Biletnikoff Award winner, shined early last season against the Ravens, catching five passes for 104 yards and two touchdowns. But he broke his hand in practice the next week and was unable to duplicate that level of production.

Jackson said Coleman has worked hard this offseason to emerge as an impact player.

“He’s done a good job. He has improved. I stand behind my statement that I made earlier that he has got to be the guy to do it for us,” he said.

“That is what we drafted him for, and I am sure he will do that.”​
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/05/17 09:38 PM
the first word that came to mind when we drafted him was bust and he has done nothing to change that perception only reinforced it.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/05/17 11:12 PM
Yeah but, yeah but..... Didn't you hear what the people selling tickets said?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/05/17 11:36 PM
Quote:
“Those guys have got to continue to step up, and they have. We have a lot of young players at that position that (senior offensive assistant) Al Saunders has done a great job of mentoring and developing,” he said.

“We have to see if they can play. That whole group has got to take another jump because we are young at that position. We all know that and respect that and understand it. We have to see if those guys can make the jump, and that is what we are getting the chance to see right now.”

I hope I am wrong and I could be wrong, but I think this is a mistake in evaluating talent and a mistake by not trying to improve this group.

We'll see.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/06/17 01:11 AM
We need one of the 2nd year WRs to step up.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/06/17 01:12 AM
Yeah, and I need to win the lottery.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/06/17 09:57 AM
Yeah, and I need to win the lottery.

So do most of us! I'd say those odds are stiffer then one of the young guys stepping up and being at least a decent player.

I think so, anyway saywhat
Posted By: CalDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/06/17 12:54 PM
I'd say the odds are about the same. We want all our draft picks to be super stars. Truth is, it's so rare with us you might as well go buy a scratcher.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/06/17 01:06 PM
The thing is that I don't need superstars or the big pot. How about good players or $100,000?
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/06/17 02:03 PM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
We need one of the 2nd year WRs to step up.

Coleman, Louis, Payton or Rashard Higgins... you'd almost think it's an utter longshot to believe one of these can step-up but, and to make it pretty simple - we just need it to happen. Badly.

I agree with Vers:

Quote:
... and a mistake by not trying to improve this group

Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/06/17 09:03 PM
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...35-69298cefdc14

Bryant sounds ready!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Vambo Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/06/17 09:53 PM
5 things to know: Hue Jackson sees QBs 'emerging,' showing overall improvement

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...8d-56a6f77806e9

Cleveland participates in its 8th OTA on Tuesday

1. Sporting a No. 25 jersey, Calvin Pryor was seen in a Browns uniform for the first time by reporters as he went through his second OTA with his new team.

The hard-hitting safety was acquired last week in a trade that sent veteran linebacker Demario Davis to the New York Jets. Entering his fourth season, Pryor is looking to make an impact on a Cleveland defense that is searching for its best four or five defensive backs, regardless of position.

“Obviously he is a young talented player that we have added to our secondary. He is a safety that we feel good about,” Browns coach Hue Jackson said. “He will play back there in the secondary at safety and we will give him an opportunity to compete and play.”

Pryor gives defensive coordinator Gregg Williams another versatile piece to utilize as he shapes his rotations and depth chart. In the last month, the Browns have added first-round safety Jabrill Peppers, veteran defensive back Jason McCourty and now Pryor to a unit that features a handful of other veterans -- Joe Haden and Jamar Taylor -- and a bevy of players in the early years of their respective NFL careers.

“We just want to get a guy – which, we made a decision to trade a guy and add a guy to our team – and what we are going to do is get him with the rest of the guys and when it is all said and done, we are going to play the best four guys that are able to play,” Jackson said. “It is not so much, “if a guy is at this position, that position.’ One thing about Gregg, he has a lot of flexibility in his system to be able to play guys wherever we need to play them.”

2. Jackson said he wasn’t sure if the quarterback rotation he utilized during OTAs would be the same at next week’s minicamp.

Cody Kessler entered OTAs as No. 1 in line with veteran Brock Osweiler, Kevin Hogan and rookie DeShone Kizer falling behind in no set order. Jackson stressed he would be hands-on with Kizer, the second-round selection who has periodically received a few series with the first-team offensive line.

“I think guys are emerging. I think guys are working hard. I think the whole group has improved, but again, I am going to take a look at it after we get done with OTAs and see where we are,” Jackson said. “I think guys are making strides. I see it all the time, and they have got to continue to work and work hard. The young guys are getting better. Cody has improved. Brock is doing well. So, we are going to take it all into account and see where we are.”

3. Jackson said he hasn’t been concerned with the handful of injured players who have been in and out of OTA sessions over the past three weeks. On Tuesday, the wide receiver position was particularly shorthanded with veteran Kenny Britt and Corey Coleman on the sidelines dealing with minor injuries.

Both players, though, have logged some significant work in team settings, and their respective health remains the most important thing at this point of the offseason, Jackson said.

“There’s things that I want to make sure that they understand and know the foundation of what we are doing, Corey more so than Kenny right now, because Corey has been here, he knows the language and understands it,” Jackson said. “Kenny, it’s important that he’s out there as much as he has been, because he needs to make sure that he knows how to do things. I think the group, once we get them all back and get them healthy, I think we will represent ourselves well.”

4. After a season of repeated adversity at the center position, the Browns have their bases covered at the moment.

The offensive line currently boasts eight players who are considered centers or have played the position in the past. That can present issues when it comes to rotations, so a handful of these players have been seen at either left or right guard during team drills. Marcus Martin, a two-year starter who was claimed off waivers from the San Francisco 49ers, and Anthony Fabiano, who started last year’s season finale, both showed their versatility Tuesday at guard.

“They have the versatility to do it, so we give them the chance to,” Jackson said. “Some are just strictly playing guard, and some are playing center and guard. Again, because of the numbers, we have got some guys that still aren’t practicing yet. We’re trying to give guys the best opportunity to have a chance to make our football team. I think that is what’s important.”

5. Already emerging as one of the team’s vocal leaders, linebacker Christian Kirksey has even more on his plate after the departure of Davis. At Tuesday’s OTA, Kirksey broke down the group before the start of 11-on-11 drills, something Davis would typically handle.

“I think he’s ready. I think that has always been a part of his makeup. I think he has that ability to do it,” Jackson said. “I think any time when there has been another real vocal person in the group, and when that person goes, it allows another person to start to step up. I think Christian is doing what I know he can do, and it’s important. We need that kind of guy.”
Posted By: bleednbrown Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/06/17 10:07 PM
Quote:

I hope I am wrong and I could be wrong, but I think this is a mistake in evaluating talent and a mistake by not trying to improve this group.

We'll see.

We did improve the group...Thats why we signed Britt.
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/06/17 10:13 PM
good read, thanx for the share brother.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 02:16 AM
Let me guess. Andrew Gribble, the guy who writes for the Browns, wrote this BS article?
Posted By: Vambo Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 02:38 AM
Calvin Pryor embracing ‘fresh start’ with Browns

Link

The safety joins Cleveland after three seasons with Jets

Calvin Pryor might be new to Cleveland, but he saw a few familiar faces when he arrived to the team’s facility for the first time.

After being traded to the Browns last week, the former Jets safety said he’s gotten to know the likes of Joe Haden and Jamie Collins Sr. as opponents over the past three years. Now, he’ll join the pair of Pro Bowlers as teammates and, perhaps, the newest piece of one of the league’s youngest teams.

“I feel like it was a great opportunity,” Pryor said of the trade Tuesday. “Have a fresh start, learn a new system and buy into a new culture.”

Indeed, Pryor — a first-round pick in 2014 who started 38 of 44 games in New York — joins a new-look roster that welcomed a promising 2017 class that includes three first-round picks in defensive end Myles Garrett, safety Jabrill Peppers and tight end David Njoku.

Pryor also joins a defense that’s currently being molded by new coordinator Gregg Williams, the fiery veteran whom head coach Hue Jackson tapped this past January.

“Everybody is buying into the culture. Coach Williams is a very intense coach, very fiery coach, guys love that. He wants to kick the offense’s butt every chance he gets, so I look forward to that.”

Pryor said he’s confident Williams will get the most out of him and his teammates. It’s also why he’s not worried how the Browns might find ways to get both him and Peppers — the former Michigan standout — on the field at the same time.

“I can’t speak on that because that’s the coaches’ job, but I do know that he is one heck of a player,” Pryor said of Peppers. “I do look forward to playing with him, whether it is in different packages or we are just on the field at the same time. I know that we both can play football.”

Jackson echoed a similar sentiment when asked if Pryor was better-suited for free or strong safety, saying the 24-year-old can do both.

“We’re going to play the best four guys that are able to play,” he said. “It’s not so much, ‘If a guy is at this position, that position.’ One thing about Gregg, he has a lot of flexibility in his system to be able to play guys wherever we need to play them.”

Added Pryor: “(Gregg has) taken multiple guys and done different things with them; like putting them in the half (field) or down in the box, just playing to their best potential,” he said.

“The best guys are going to play. I look forward to competing and going out there and getting to know my teammates.”

And of course, he already knows a few of them.

“I definitely know that we have some talent on this roster,” he said. “We have to get the job done.”​
Posted By: Vambo Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 02:56 AM
Andrew Gribble‏
Verified account @Andrew_Gribble

Calvin Pryor another piece in what promises to be a versatile Browns secondary http://brow.nz/2s1hUZB

@Andrew_Gribble
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 02:57 AM
A serious question. Is this another article from a Brown's owned site?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 03:05 AM
Don’t Expect Jeremy Maclin To End Up With Browns Regardless If They’re Interested
June 6, 2017 2:41 PM
By Daryl Ruiter | 92.3 The Fan
BEREA (92.3 The Fan) – The Browns might be interested in veteran receiver Jeremy Maclin but he probably isn’t interested in the Browns.

Maclin, who was released by Kansas City last Friday, is reportedly visiting the Bills Tuesday “That’s a good thing if we did,” head coach Hue Jackson said Tuesday following the team’s OTA practice. “I don’t know much about that but again…one thing I know about our group is that we’re going to continue to look for ways to improve our football team. I’ve said that numerous times and I give Sashi [Brown] credit for that.

“I think we’re always out there looking. If there’s a player available then we’re going to take a peek at him and see if he can help our football team.”

Maclin is coming off an off year for him that saw him catch just 44 passes for 536 yards and 2 touchdowns after totaling 5,086 yards and 40 touchdowns over the previous 5 seasons combined.

The Browns signed veteran Kenny Britt to a 4-year $32.5 million deal this offseason to essentially replace Terrelle Pryor, who signed with the Redskins.

With the focus on developing second-year receivers Ricardo Louis, Jordan Payton as well as Corey Coleman, it’s unlikely that the Browns will add a veteran that would end up taking practice and game reps away from the young players.

Sure the Browns might be interested but it would be surprising if he ended up in Cleveland with better options with contenders available to him.

Here are some other quick hits from OTAs Tuesday.

– Myles Garrett practiced Tuesday and did not appear limited at all. Garrett was lightning fast working through drills and off the ball, but keep in mind he’s not in pads nor is he going against Joe Thomas, yet.

– Kenny Britt is quite the talker and lover of Cleveland. After practice Britt said that the Browns haven’t had the feel of a 1-15 team since the first time he visited. He also praised the quarterbacks and the competition between them.

“We have some great quarterbacks so this is going to be one of those [competitions] that goes until the end,” Britt said. “We will see who is going to be there for the beginning of the first game.”

Britt has bought in and jumped in with both feet since signing with the Browns. He even helped recruit cornerback Jason McCourty who was signed last month.

“Sure did,” Britt said. “Actually, our wives talked to each other before he even came out here. My wife called me and told me he was taking a visit the next day. I saw him in the lunchroom. We sat down with a bunch of guys and hit it off from right there. He has been by my side since I have been at Rutgers to tell you the truth, and it has been kind of cool to have a familiar face to go against each and every day.”

– New safety Calvin Pryor, acquired last week from the New York Jets for linebacker Demario Davis didn’t want to discuss his time in the big apple or what went wrong.

“I feel like it was a great opportunity – have a fresh start, learn a new system and buy into a new culture,” Pryor said. “I had a feeling [with the Jets] drafting two safeties [I’d be moved], but I can’t control that.”

Pryor provides the Browns with more depth and options in the secondary at safety, even with the Browns selecting Jabrill Peppers.

“He is one heck of a player,” Pryor said of Peppers. “I do look forward to playing with him, whether it is in different packages or we are just on the field at the same time. I know that we both can play football. I look forward to being a great teammate and helping him out along the way.”

– Peppers is no longer limited from an injury that had him sidelined a few weeks ago.

“I’m already full-go,” Peppers said. “I was just working through a couple of things and they found it in my best interest that I sit out that one practice, but I’ve been full-go and will continue to be.”

– Defensive lineman Desmond Bryant is back and feeling like his old self. Bryant said Tuesday that although he felt that he could’ve helped make a difference during the 1-15 season, he used the time recovering from the torn pectoral muscle he suffered 2 weeks before training camp last July wisely.

“I feel great. My body feels great,” Bryant said. “One of the unforeseen benefits of kind of not playing last season is I got a chance to kind of heal up the rest of my body, as well. I really do feel great. I am looking forward to the rest of this offseason, preseason and we will get going.”

– It’s hard to tell if Gregg Williams has already made that much of a difference with the defense or if the offense is just this bad as there were mistakes galore Tuesday on that side of the ball including false starts, virtual sacks, throw-aways and throws that were off target from quarterbacks – not to mention there wasn’t much time for them to throw to begin with. Contrary to what Jackson has said, not a single one of these quarterbacks has really distinguished himself – at least in the last 3 practices that have been open to reporters.

– Receivers Kenny Britt and Corey Coleman, cornerback Joe Haden as well as offensive lineman Joe Thomas, Joe Bitonio, Austin Reiter, John Greco, Matt McCants did not practice Tuesday.and the Ravens are also on his radar.

‪ http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2017/06/06/dont-expect-jeremy-maclin-to-end-up-with-browns-regardless-if-theyre-interested/#.WTch2Wn_GIk.twitter‬
Posted By: Pdawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 03:08 AM
Posted By: eotab Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 01:34 PM
– It’s hard to tell if Gregg Williams has already made that much of a difference with the defense or if the offense is just this bad as there were mistakes galore Tuesday on that side of the ball including false starts, virtual sacks, throw-aways and throws that were off target from quarterbacks – not to mention there wasn’t much time for them to throw to begin with. Contrary to what Jackson has said, not a single one of these quarterbacks has really distinguished himself – at least in the last 3 practices that have been open to reporters.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere that both Joe Thomas and Bitonio have been held out. Which could make a big difference.

jmh?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 02:11 PM
Quote:
Brock Osweiler has impressed. One Browns player privately predicted he "wouldn't be surprised if Brock is QB1 heading into camp in July."

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/872403893405331457
Posted By: Pdawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 03:37 PM
Quote:
Receivers Kenny Britt and Corey Coleman, cornerback Joe Haden as well as offensive lineman Joe Thomas, Joe Bitonio, Austin Reiter, John Greco, Matt McCants did not practice Tuesday.

You weren't wrong.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 04:39 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:
Brock Osweiler has impressed. One Browns player privately predicted he "wouldn't be surprised if Brock is QB1 heading into camp in July."

Been hearing the same and from what very little I have seen from ota videos, I have to admit, Brock's lower body mechanics is nothing like we saw in Houston and even in Denver. I want to see him dropping back in a game type setting but there is a noticeable difference.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 04:59 PM
I've been saying that those who feel that Kessler starting the season is a lock, they may wish to see how this plays out. Let's face it, it wouldn't be that hard to beat him out.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 05:08 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I've been saying that those who feel that Kessler starting the season is a lock, they may wish to see how this plays out. Let's face it, it wouldn't be that hard to beat him out.

Thats the buety pit ... we will see ..

I could care less what he looks like in shorts in June .... lets see how he looks and how his MECHANICS HOLD UP in August when there's guys flying all around .... then in pre-season games when there's pressure and hitting going on ...

I have also said that if BO beats out CK that is way more of an indictment of how bad CK is ...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 05:13 PM
I have to agree with you. It may sound a little cold, but by the beginning of the regular season our starting QB may not be the best we have, but the least of the worse.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 09:56 PM
I don't know. I think Brock is underappreciated, and he still has room to grow as a QB. He is what? 28? That's about the age a QB starts to get it.

I don't think we need to box him in and say he is as good as he is going to get.
Posted By: eotab Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 10:26 PM
I fear the practice player...guys who look great in practice and then game time comes. Brock might be one of them.

jmho
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 10:39 PM
j/c:

I smell a QB controversy brewing. LOL

Especially if Brock beats out Cody. I see that group establishing themselves right now. Kinda reminds me of the BQ crowd.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 11:45 PM
I don't know. I think Brock is underappreciated, and he still has room to grow as a QB. He is what? 28? That's about the age a QB starts to get it.

What QB started to get it at 28? My perception is that QBs are usually pretty good within their first few seasons.
Posted By: Lurker Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/07/17 11:53 PM
j/c:

Especially if Brock beats out Cody. I see that group establishing themselves right now. Kinda reminds me of the BQ crowd.

I trust Hue, so whatever he feels is the law to me. But I think it's interesting if Brock beats out Cody.

I think Cody is a disadvantage because Hue wants to push the ball down the field, and Brock should be able to do that better then Cody.

Thoughts?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 12:02 AM
That's an odd question because clearly Osweiler "got it" two years ago. That is why there was a bidding war for him. He also sat behind Peyton Manning for a few years.

I get y'all hate Osweiler, but not one of you were willing to break down film w/me on the Brock thread. I even had two posters who said they were not interested in educating themselves.

Opinions are great. But, making strong claims when one is uninformed is not so great.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 12:03 AM
I think it would be hilarious if we got Houston'e 2nd and Brock for our 4th ..... and Brock actually turned out to be a great QB. It would be the most "un-Browns" thing ... maybe ever. wink
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 12:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Lurker
j/c:

I trust Hue, so whatever he feels is the law to me. But I think it's interesting if Brock beats out Cody.

I think Cody is a disadvantage because Hue wants to push the ball down the field, and Brock should be able to do that better then Cody.

Thoughts?

I really don't know, Lurker. I'm not trying to dodge your question at all, but I think the qb position is not a real strength at this point and I don't think any our our QBs have done enough to either be made the man or to be dismissed out of hand.

I think there should be a fair competition for the position and let the best man win. I do think you make a good point about being able to push the ball down the field, or as I like to put it....make all the throws. It helps keep defenses honest.

I really wish I could get at least 1 or 2 people to break down Osweiler on his thread. I think it would be interesting conversation. He does some really good things and he does some really bad things.

I think Cody has the intelligence to play the position. If he somehow starts making all the throws and we aren't limited to playing half the horizontal field and the underneath stuff, he could be okay.

Kizer? I can't really comment too much because I have to see him against NFL defenses. I think his mechanical flaws can be fixed. He has a ton of physical ability. I just don't know if he has it emotionally, mentally, and is willing to accept coaching to fix his issues. It's a wait and see.

I wish I could be more decisive, but I just really don't know at this point in time.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 12:10 AM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I think it would be hilarious if we got Houston'e 2nd and Brock for our 4th ..... and Brock actually turned out to be a great QB. It would be the most "un-Browns" thing ... maybe ever. wink

LOL...............I would be calling Sashi a "genius."
Posted By: Lurker Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 12:30 AM

LOL...............I would be calling Sashi a "genius."

I think mac would get an "I heart Sashi" tattoo. lol
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 12:38 AM

What QB started to get it at 28? My perception is that QBs are usually pretty good within their first few seasons.

Kurt Warner, Joe Theisman, Jim Plunkett, Len Dawson, Terry Bradshaw, Waren Moon, Doug Williams, Rich Gannon, Steve DeBurgh. Steve Young, Bill Nelson....Those are just off the top of my head.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 12:39 AM
Kessler vs. Brock.... hmmm.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 02:40 AM

Kurt Warner, Joe Theisman, Jim Plunkett, Len Dawson, Terry Bradshaw, Waren Moon, Doug Williams, Rich Gannon, Steve DeBurgh. Steve Young, Bill Nelson....Those are just off the top of my head.

Many of those guys were good before they were 28 years old or were never really good at all besides one [maybe] one year. Also, the most recent example on your list occurred almost twenty years ago.

QBs just magically becoming good are the exception, not the rule.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 02:43 AM
That's an odd question because clearly Osweiler "got it" two years ago. That is why there was a bidding war for him. He also sat behind Peyton Manning for a few years.

The teams that were bidding for him were wrong. Teams whiff on players all the time.

I hope Osweiler turns out to be good, I just don't see how the player I saw last year can be any good. I think we just have a bunch of bad options at QB. If it was me, I would just start Kizer.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 02:53 AM
I am going to sit back, watch and hope for the best. I don't care which one emerges.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 03:55 AM
Kurt Warner with the Giants, and we get the cards version
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 04:05 AM
Kurt Warner with the Giants, and we get the cards version

Except Warner was already an MVP with the Rams before that.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 04:08 AM
This is a dumb argument.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 04:09 AM
This is a dumb argument.

I agree. There is nothing else to talk about.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 04:17 AM

And Watson ends up as a bust ooo
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 05:42 AM
Osweiler "got it" two years ago. That is why there was a bidding war for him. He also sat behind Peyton Manning for a few years.

This. Not sure what went wrong in Houston but being exposed to Manning and getting fixed by Hue, on top of how he played in Denver tells me he has a chance of being good at least.
Posted By: eotab Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 11:59 AM
I get y'all hate Osweiler

Actually the entire NFL has laughed at Osweiler except for one Anonymous Browns player saywhat

Irony is you HATE Kessler.

smh
Posted By: Damanshot Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 12:06 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

Been hearing the same and from what very little I have seen from ota videos, I have to admit, Brock's lower body mechanics is nothing like we saw in Houston and even in Denver. I want to see him dropping back in a game type setting but there is a noticeable difference.

What's funny is that Os was a guy that the Broncos wanted to retain. I mean John "freakin' Elway wanted him to remain with the Broncos.

I wonder and have wondered for a while, why didn't it work out in Houston.. Was it Os, or was it the team or the coach or just the system? I honestly don't know.

I'd laugh my butt off is Os turned out to be "THE ONE". Of course, I'd be happy as hell.
Posted By: eotab Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 12:22 PM
You know I would be so happy as a Browns fan if Brock can stud out here. I see tape on him and he looks like Superman in spots...then he looks like the Joker.

Could we be so lucky? That would be a first. I actually hope it happens cause it would be such a in your face to the entire NFL as we were given a 2nd round pick...and not us giving a pick up for a QB...lol laugh

I just am not sure Hue and Lee can do the impossible.

Hmmm somebody mentioned 28...Brock is only 26 and entering his 3rd season. Actually Odds are getting better on him. It will be 3 different Coaches and 3 different Offenses. So who actually knows. Hope the entire NFL is wrong in their snubbing of Brock as an NFL QB!

So Vers...you might be onto something.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 12:40 PM
I don't hate Kessler and I thought you weren't going to lower yourself by talking to me anymore?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 01:26 PM
It sounds like you hate Cody.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 01:56 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
You know I would be so happy as a Browns fan if Brock can stud out here. I see tape on him and he looks like Superman in spots...then he looks like the Joker.

Could we be so lucky? That would be a first. I actually hope it happens cause it would be such a in your face to the entire NFL as we were given a 2nd round pick...and not us giving a pick up for a QB...lol laugh

I just am not sure Hue and Lee can do the impossible.

Hmmm somebody mentioned 28...Brock is only 26 and entering his 3rd season. Actually Odds are getting better on him. It will be 3 different Coaches and 3 different Offenses. So who actually knows. Hope the entire NFL is wrong in their snubbing of Brock as an NFL QB!

So Vers...you might be onto something.

Brock is 26 but he's entering his 6th season. He was drafted in 2012.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 02:17 PM
Even better.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 02:27 PM

That would go down as one of the greatest trades of all-time.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 02:28 PM
It's happening.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 02:30 PM
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
I am going to sit back, watch and hope for the best. I don't care which one emerges.

Same here -- I'm just slightly concerned nobody is going to emerge by way of taking ownership of the position like all the years before.

When we end up with a starting QB by virtue of him being the default guy versus him being the guy that went out and took the job away from everyone else, that's when we know we don't have anyone, at all.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 03:43 PM
I'm not really concerned about that because that was my expectation coming out of last season. The QBs we picked up along the way didn't change my feeling on the matter.

Given the QBs available to us to go and get, I set my expectations to be right where we're at right now. I'm glad we addressed the Oline and defense the way we did. Kinda wish we would've landed that stud FS, but we got a 1st for next year, so I'm content.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 06:47 PM
I'm not terribly concerned about it, either, as I fully expect us to be a 3-5 win team, max, this year. I'm on record expecting us to have another Top 5 pick in the Draft next April.

I'm not sold on ANY of these guys we have at QB, but at the same time, I'd like nothing more than for one of them to rise up be The Man and let us forget about trying to fix that position.

We have absolutely approached building the correct way by addressing all of the supporting groups, first and foremost, while keeping an eye toward improving that position, but not reaching or panicking to do so.

Next year, I get to begin allowing myself to have higher expectations.
Posted By: CanadaDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/08/17 07:43 PM
Alrighty Vers...I ran through one of the videos of Brock you posted. I'm no QB guru or a great analyst of mechanics but here's what I saw.

Positives
- Total cannon for an arm. Dude can sling it
- Seems capable of gunning into tight spaces or dropping it over a receiver's shoulder effectively

Negatives
- Frequently seems to miss his target....overthrows and throwing behind.
- Feels like he locks on to his number one option right away and if that's not there, doesn't go any farther and just looks to dump it.

The first one might be a pressure thing. The second one worries me a lot more.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/09/17 12:03 AM
Let me check out the locking on one receiver thing a bit more. I promise I will get back to you. I might copy and paste your post and move it to the Brock thread, if you don't mind?
Posted By: lampdogg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/09/17 01:00 AM
I'd also like to hear your thoughts on his release time. In a video I watched recently it looked a tad slow. but lord knows I could be wrong
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/09/17 01:23 AM
Okay, will do.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/09/17 02:04 AM
Hey, I am going to answer your question and Canada's on the Brock thread.
Posted By: eotab Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/09/17 01:29 PM
My bad...when I googled him it showed a Readers Digest version and had career and showed just 2015 n 2016...I guess it was laid out that way cause he didn't play prior to that???
Posted By: edromeo Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/10/17 10:09 AM
Gonna butt in on the convo about Brock Canadadawg.

When discussing QB play I think giving numbers about a specific trait positive or negatives helps provide context about that specific trait.

For example you said that Brock frequently missed his target. Frequently is for me a very subjective term. My question would be....how many throws did he miss compared to how many throws he made? That would provide context IF he's doing it too often and what end of the spectrum he would be on compared to other QBs.
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/10/17 11:06 AM
I know this is from last years minicamp. but I have never seen it before.

I am starting to see why the players like him so much. I like his style.

Made me laugh when I heard "...just try it one time..."

Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/10/17 01:40 PM
Watching his style of coaching, it becomes much easier to understand why and how he was able to get these guys to not only buy in, but not give up last year.
Posted By: drobs Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/10/17 05:04 PM
That was an awesome video, thanks for sharing. People on the whole will always respond better to being praised and encouraged over being chewed out and belittled.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/10/17 07:13 PM
Originally Posted By: drobs
That was an awesome video, thanks for sharing. People on the whole will always respond better to being praised and encouraged over being chewed out and belittled.

That's why I have hope for Brock. Heck, O'Brien had shouting matches with Tom Brady. How do you think he was with a QB of less ability?
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/10/17 08:16 PM
Seth DeValve - TE - Browns

Browns coach Hue Jackson called second-year TE Seth DeValve an "emerging player."
A 2016 fourth-rounder, DeValve played in only 12 games (92 snaps) as a rookie, but had a red-zone impact with a pair of touchdowns. He’s primed for a bigger role in an offense that could feature more dual tight ends. With Gary Barnidge gone, DeValve will compete for targets with David Njoku. Randall Telfer is the Browns' preferred option on blocking downs.

Source: clevelandbrowns.com Jun 10 - 2:59 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/10/17 08:23 PM
I am pretty excited about Seth. I think he can be a weapon.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/11/17 11:46 AM
Originally Posted By: drobs

which to me makes it interesting to see how Gregg Williams and his defense will do.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/11/17 02:12 PM

I believe him and Njoku are going to be the premier weapons when we pass the ball. That and a heavy dosage of the run game.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/11/17 06:04 PM
Well, we beefed up the line so our run game should be better which in turn can buy time for our QB's to get our receivers the ball and vice versa. The run and passing game feed off one another and it all starts with the O-line. IMO if our line stays healthy and we find that RT we should be able to move the ball much easier than last year even with average QB play.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/11/17 06:26 PM
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Browns coach Hue Jackson called second-year TE Seth DeValve an "emerging player."
A 2016 fourth-rounder, DeValve played in only 12 games (92 snaps) as a rookie, but had a red-zone impact with a pair of touchdowns. He’s primed for a bigger role in an offense that could feature more dual tight ends. With Gary Barnidge gone, DeValve will compete for targets with David Njoku. Randall Telfer is the Browns' preferred option on blocking downs.

Ya but DeValve is not good, he can't make plays, he barley belongs in the NFL. they couldn't get somebody for us to watch better than Seth DeValve.
Is he going to do any thing to make this team win or be a positive. I think he's a real liability, and they missed chances to replace him.

Show me where I'm wrong, show me where Seth DeValve is going to be anything. This team has been trying to trot out Seth DeValve like he Is anything, for several months now. And I don't see it. At all.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/11/17 07:07 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Show me where I'm wrong, show me where Seth DeValve is going to be anything. This team has been trying to trot out Seth DeValve like he Is anything, for several months now. And I don't see it. At all.

not much to show til the season starts.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/11/17 07:09 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Ya but DeValve is not good, he can't make plays, he barley belongs in the NFL. they couldn't get somebody for us to watch better than Seth DeValve.
Is he going to do any thing to make this team win or be a positive. I think he's a real liability, and they missed chances to replace him.

They drafted a tight end in the first round because they know Devalve is going to be good. Duh.
Posted By: bugs Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/11/17 08:12 PM
Throw, I don't know what you have against TEs. I hope you were being sarcastic.

Having 12 personnel is a very lethal offensive weapon. Being both are over 6'4" is gravy. Back these two with a solid run game sky is limit. These two don't need to be world beaters. They simply need to catch the ball and be average blockers. Once DeValve and Njoku come up to speed, teams must play a LB and S on these two which minimizes double team on the receivers.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/11/17 08:49 PM
You must not have watched the other tapes that were posted. They went up a few days ago. Watch those.
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/11/17 09:40 PM
Nobody on the Browns’ current roster has a better catch-to-touchdown ratio than Seth DeValve.
Indeed, the second-year tight end from Princeton made the most of his limited opportunities last season, catching 10 passes and two touchdowns on just 12 targets and 93 snaps. But as the year went on, it was clear DeValve’s arrow was trending up. Now, with the departure of veteran Gary Barnidge, whom Cleveland released earlier this spring, DeValve is poised for a significant role on a new-look offense still coming into form.
“It was hard to see him go,” DeValve said. “It was a shock, I think, to everybody. I certainly didn't expect it.
“That being said, now that he's gone, I did feel a huge responsibility and really wanted to just step right in. I had limited opportunities last year, and I felt the whole time like I wanted to do more. And suddenly, here comes an opportunity to do more.”
And as Cleveland wraps up offseason workouts next week, he’s caught the eye of head coach Hue Jackson, who described DeValve as an “emerging player.”
“This is not the same Seth as a year ago. He came out and was banged up and learning his way in the National Football League,” Jackson said. “I’m sure he’d probably tell you he felt a little overmatched. But I think he’s worked extremely hard, and I think it shows in what he’s done this offseason to give himself a chance to compete and I think he’s done a good job.”
DeValve, a fourth-round pick in 2016 who played mostly slot receiver and wing back at Princeton, found himself learning the ins and outs of a new position and new offense this time last year. He was also battling a nagging hamstring injury that nipped at him through training camp.
“I think you spend the majority of your rookie year finding your routine, finding your success routine,” he said.
“And once you find it, you kind of just want to stay with it. And the biggest difference is, I can stick with that routine from Day 1 this year and I’m in better shape. I'm stronger, I’m faster, I’m healthier and I know better what I’m doing on the field. So just getting in that routine, having that routine down from last year and just sticking to it, everything's gone a lot more smoothly.”
DeValve, 22, will compete for playing time with third-year tight end Randall Telfer and the rookie David Njoku, the third of the Browns’ three first-round picks in April. Asked what challenges two pass-catchers like DeValve and Njoku -- who thrived as a mismatch threat at Miami -- could pose for defenses, Jackson nodded.
“It can cause problems. Those guys have got to be ready to play," he said. "They have got to be accountable, dependable, be out there every day and be able to make those plays when the opportunities come.”
That's why DeValve said he's not about to rest now with the season three months away.
“I have pretty high expectations for myself, but I wouldn’t call them expectations, I’d call them goals. I know what I’m capable of doing,” DeValve said.
“I wasn't able, for a lot of different reasons, to really show what I’m capable of last year. I feel like I’m starting to show it now, but we’re not playing games right now. That's a whole different thing. This is about getting into the season getting prepared, healthy, ready to go. And then it’s all talk unless you can do it on game day."

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/An-%E2%80%98emerging%E2%80%99-Seth-DeValve-ready-to-step-up-in-Browns-TE-room/95c3cb6b-e6d7-4f0b-8b7b-e68c0b50217e
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/11/17 11:03 PM

I believe him and Njoku are going to be the premier weapons when we pass the ball. That and a heavy dosage of the run game.

Why do you believe that?
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/12/17 12:12 AM

Why do you believe that?

We don't have any other weapons/people on the roster that I think are going to make any impression.

Njoku is a freak athlete. Huge, tall, speed, jumping ability with a huge wing span so there's no reason to think Hue is not going to try to find ways to get him the ball.

Seth is coming into his second year and I think he improved as the season lead on last year from what limited reps I saw. PLus I think he was banged up at the beginning there.

I think we'll see a nice dose of two TE sets.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/12/17 12:23 AM
I'm not criticizing you for having an opinion, but I think it is highly unlikely that our two TEs will be out top two receivers. What about Coleman? What about Duke? What about the two TEs only having 10 catches between them and very little experience?
Posted By: bugs Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/12/17 01:58 AM
I'm not criticizing you for having an opinion, but I think it is highly unlikely that our two TEs will be out top two receivers. What about Coleman? What about Duke? What about the two TEs only having 10 catches between them and very little experience?

It's a little early to call these two guys Barnidge like but they have the makings. To me, that is a vital offensive threat. Key here is ball control. Current TEs can be key moving the ball down field. Tall players greatly benefit as a scoring threat.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/12/17 11:00 AM
I wasn't criticizing them. LOL

I was saying that I question whether two TEs can be our top two receivers.

I am not sure about this, but I don't think either is a good blocker. I just wonder how often they will be on the field together.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/12/17 11:01 AM

I don't think they will be our top two receivers...at least both of them. I could see one of them being so. I guess much depends on the QB looks and how much he decides to check down to a receiver. In the end, i think we will have 3-4 guys at or near 50 catches. How that stacks up in the ranks, time will tell. Maybe Coleman and Britt get open a lot and one ends up with 80 catches.

I do think a 2 TE set will be common. That plays to our strength. Why wouldn't we do that? Both of those guys have some speed and size. I don't think your average backer is going to be able to cover them. Other teams will have to adjust. My thinking is the adjustment will be to remove a backer, which in theory will weaken their run defense. With Crow, that is going to give play action some meaning.

No doubt that Hue is going to have to stop talking about running and actually call some run plays. You don't fake many people out if you never run on 3rd and five.

You know as well as anyone that calling plays is like a chess match. Sometimes you have to make moves now to set things up later.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/12/17 11:42 AM
a WR will be our top receiver in yards... TE might be second in yards.

If McCown were still our starter, then a TE would have a case.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/12/17 02:30 PM
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
a WR will be our top receiver in yards... TE might be second in yards.

If McCown were still our starter, then a TE would have a case.

No doubt. As I said erlier, it's all about the QB and his willingness to throw to the TE. Some QBs love to throw to them, some hardly ever look at them.

TE routes are fairly quick hitting. You almost have to look their way first, especially with a zone coverage.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/12/17 10:00 PM

Bro, you can disagree with me lol. I respect everyone's opinions here, whether or not my view or not.

What about Coleman? Good question there haha, maybe you can tell me something about Coleman because I see a draft pick that we shouldn't have taken up-to-date. Duke, now there's a legit passing threat, but Duke gets limited reps. I rarely seen him outside of third down.

Again, Seth came here hurt and hampered his ability to progress. It's written that he was progressing nicely towards the end of last season, and I believe it.

As for the experience between the two, it's not really much different than the experience we have elsewhere, no? Do you think Britt is going to be our best option, because he has experience? Sure, it's possible, but is it likely?

I think our WR core is crap and I think Coleman will never be able to go full out because the kid is always going to have some injury(s) he's dealing with. What's left, our TE group =]

All JMO.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/12/17 11:42 PM

I think our WR core is crap and I think Coleman will never be able to go full out because the kid is always going to have some injury(s) he's dealing with. What's left, our TE group =]

Our other WR's are left too.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/12/17 11:50 PM

Our other WR's are left too.

I believe the coaching staff has some faith/hope in them, and I love our WR coach - but I don't get excited at all when I think about our WR. The hamstring to Corey also really intensified that already sour taste. This kid is raw and needs all the reps, practice and etc he can get. He was "supposed" to have came into OTA and etc in great shape, yet here he be on the sidelines again, having his stationary bike minutes clocked.

Higgins, Payton, Louis - none have done anything that makes me think we could feature them or even rely on them. Second year though, you'd just think ONE can step up?

Heh.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/13/17 12:27 AM

Higgins, Payton, Louis - none have done anything that makes me think we could feature them or even rely on them. Second year though, you'd just think ONE can step up?

Heh.

#believeland lol

In all seriousness, I think Hollywood would be a reliable route running WR.

I'm also still optimistic about Payton, although he shot himself in the foot with that suspension.
Posted By: bugs Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/13/17 01:28 AM
I wasn't criticizing them. LOL

I was saying that I question whether two TEs can be our top two receivers.

I am not sure about this, but I don't think either is a good blocker. I just wonder how often they will be on the field together.

I could have worded better. I didn't take as criticism.

I have read a few articles on 12-pesonnel or two TE and single back set. If Hue is wanting to run more, I bet we see both a lot. You can spread them out, motion one, play action, or keep tight as extra blockers. NE used two TE a lot before Gronk got hurt.

To me, I thought it was interesting stuff. It allows a offense to attack underneath drawing double coverage away from the outside guys. Barnidge was tough by himself in the red-zone. Imaging having two guys 6'4".

As of now, it looks good on paper!
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/13/17 04:51 PM
Nate Ulrich @NateUlrichABJ
#Browns OT Shon Coleman said he's put on about 5 pounds since last season, but has gained more muscle, feels a lot bigger, stronger

--------------------------------
power run game, here it comes.
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/13/17 08:52 PM
Mary Kay Cabot ✔ @MaryKayCabot

#Browns Kizer has consistently worked with 1st team offense today despite 3rd in order. Significant. You don't waste those 1st team reps

1:51 PM - 13 Jun 2017 · Ohio, USA
15 15 Retweets 27 27 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Follow

Tony Grossi ✔ @TonyGrossi

Jamie Collins blows up 3 TE formation and INTs DeShone Kizer.
1:50 PM - 13 Jun 2017

5 5 Retweets 14 14 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Follow

Mary Kay Cabot ✔ @MaryKayCabot

#Browns D bringing it in minicamp today. Ogbah smacks down a Kessler ball, Collins swipes a Kizer pass and runs it back. Swarming,aggressive
1:49 PM - 13 Jun 2017 · Ohio, USA
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/13/17 08:59 PM
I find it a tad odd that Kizer is getting the most reps with the ones.

unless they are planning on starting him week one, they should be going to Kessler imo.
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/13/17 09:37 PM
How Instagram helped Browns WR Ricardo Louis link up with Brandon Marshall

Browns second-year wide receiver Ricardo Louis revealed Tuesday he’ll workout with Brandon Marshall this summer in his hometown of Miami.

That’s because Louis, a fourth-round pick in 2016 who caught 18 passes for 205 yards as a rookie, is leaving no stone unturned on a quest to earn a bigger role on Cleveland’s new-look offense this season.

In a position group looking for new playmakers, Louis is confident he’s laid a foundation to be an every-down type of player after the Browns parted with leading receiver Terrelle Pryor in free agency and veteran Andrew Hawkins this past winter.

“I have a chance,” Louis said as the team prepares for mandatory veterans minicamp, the last phase of its offseason workouts. “Nobody has a real legit spot right now, nobody's No. 1, nobody’s No. 2. Right now we’re all just competing.”

And a trip down to South Florida this summer, Louis said, should help him keep that momentum flowing into training camp in July.

But this whole rendezvous with Marshall — the 12-year veteran and 6-time Pro Bowler whom Louis admires because of their similar size and approach to the position — is a long time in the making.

“It’s a funny story,” Louis said with a wide smile.

After declaring for the Draft two winters ago, Louis — the former Auburn standout who moved permanently to receiver as a sophomore — was in search of a mentor to master the position. So he reached out to Marshall, who founded an athletic performance and training center in nearby Fort Lauderdale.

“I had to find someone who could help me figure it out,” he said. “So I hit him up.”

And then he waited … and waited some more.

Louis finally heard back last week, adding there were no hard feelings to the delayed response.

“He was like, ‘Sorry I just saw it!’ And that just tells you what kind of guy he is,” Louis said.

“You could tell that he’s very genuine, he’s a really good guy to me just based on what he did with that, just hitting me back after a year-and-a-half saying, ‘I’d love to get together with you’ … I think by him doing that, he really wants me to succeed.”

And that’s precisely why, Louis said, summer break is far from the time to rest.

“I’m learning, I’m playing fast, I’m catching the ball better,” he said. “I'm doing everything that (senior offensive assistant) coach Al (Saunders) has been preaching to us. When he says I do something right, I want to capitalize on that and continue to do better each day.”

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...e4-005942610c36

I thought that was very cool of Brandon. Wish all of our WR's would go.

anywho thought I would share.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/13/17 09:54 PM
I find it funny how he was going to Pryor....lol

Not the best guy to be seeking advice on being a receiver.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/13/17 10:20 PM
I find it funny how he was going to Pryor....lol

Not the best guy to be seeking advice on being a receiver.

Maybe he was trying to find out what a QB looks for .. without having to bother the QBs
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/13/17 11:23 PM
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101

unless they are planning on starting him week one, they should be going to Kessler imo.

He's our most talented QB.
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/13/17 11:29 PM

If that is true and they know it. then all the first team reps should be going to him. No?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/13/17 11:31 PM

If that is true and they know it. then all the first team reps should be going to him. No?

Or it's a competition and we have been focusing on the wrong competitors.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/13/17 11:42 PM
Long way to go. I wouldn't get too hung up on who is taking what at this point.

That said, I don't care who. I hope Kiser is the guy. I hope Kessler is the guy. I hope Brock is the guy.
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/13/17 11:44 PM

Or it's a competition and we have been focusing on the wrong competitors.

I like Cody, an I think he did earn the right to head into minicamp as the #1 Guy.

But my personal opinion is Brock or Kizer starts week 1.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/14/17 01:30 AM
DeShone Kizer working with 1st teamers, Cody Kessler still No. 1, Corey Coleman should be ready for camp and more from Browns minicamp
Updated June 13, 2017

On DeShone Kizer, Cody Kessler, Corey Coleman and more from Browns minicamp

BEREA, Ohio -- The defense turned up the heat on the first day of Browns minicamp, with an interception, three batted balls, a couple of fumble recoveries and a few would-be sacks.

Jamie Collins was all-Berea, with a pick-six, a batted ball and one of the fumble recoveries.

Cody Kessler is still the man to beat in the open quarterback competition, but DeShone Kizer is getting more reps with the first-team offense.

Joel Bitonio took some baby steps in individual drills, which is a great sign for his return from Lisfranc foot surgery.

Here’s more on those topics and other takeaways from the first day of mandatory minicamp.

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com

1. Kizer working with 1st teamers

Kizer was still third in the quarterback rotation behind Cody Kessler and Brock Osweiler Tuesday, but all of his reps were taken with first-teamers, which is significant.

Kessler also worked with the first-teamers, but Osweiler, who went second in most drills, worked primarily with the second-team offense.

It’s noteworthy, because Jackson wouldn’t be wasting those precious first-team reps on a player he felt had no chance to start at some point this season. Kizer has displayed excellent physical skills and he’s picking up the offense quickly. It doesn’t mean he’ll start on opening day, but the Browns didn’t draft him in the second round to "sit around and watch" -- as he put it.

Kizer is having the normal rookie ups and downs, but it’s evident the lights are coming on. He found Ricardo Louis on a deep left corner route and hit Seth DeValve with a short right flat pass against Jabrill Peppers. He also quickly scooped up a bad snap and ran with it.

On one play deep in his own territory, though, he telegraphed a pass and Jamie Collins picked it off and returned it for a TD.
Jackson downplayed Kizer’s first-team reps, likely because they want to keep the hype in check.

“Honestly, it hasn’t changed,’’ said Jackson. “That’s the way it’s been since OTAs have started. We’re just mixing and matching and giving guys opportunities. As I told you, I’m going to find out about guys, that’s what I have to do over these next couple of days before we go to training camp.’’

2. Not so fast

Jackson kept the QB order the same for minicamp, including Kevin Hogan at No. 4. He may not shake it up anytime soon.

"I didn't feel any need to change it yet," he said. “It's still way early, right? We're just in a minicamp. I said I may [change the QB order] and may not. I didn't for the most part.

It doesn't mean that I won't. But this is the first day we're back out there, guys are flying around and so I'll go watch the tape and see where we are after today."

3. Cody Kessler's batted balls

Kessler, the shortest of the QBs at 6-1, had three balls batted at the line, two by Emmanuel Ogbah and one by Collins. Was it just a rough day? Or something that needs to be addressed during the break?

“Oh, I’ll take a peek at it, but I’m excited by it,’’ said Jackson. “That means our defensive line is getting their hands up. We’ve got some tall guys over there, too, and I think our defense is playing good. They’re playing relentless that way and their hands are up and we’ve got to find holes to throw the ball in. it’s a good problem, but also we do need to take a peek at it and see if we can fix that, too.

4. Jamie Collins' big day

Collins set the tone Tuesday with the pick-six, a batted ball, fumble recovery and several would-be tackles. He’s part of an aggressive, swarming defense that’s giving the offense all it can handle. Granted, the offensive line was without most of its starters, and their best receiver, Corey Coleman, is idle. But the defense is flashing big-play ability.

"That was my vision," said Jackson. “That’s what I was looking for. You guys know my feelings about Gregg (Williams), what he brings to the table and that’s what he’s doing with the rest of the defensive staff. They’re all doing a great job.

"That’s what we need to see on offense. We need that combative, tough environment. That’s how you get better, that’s how you start building a football team, and that’s what we’re trying to do.’’

5. Corey Coleman should be ready for training camp

Okay, they weren’t real reps, but it was a start. Coleman lined up for two offense-only reps without his helmet on and jogged the route, but it was better than nothing. He’s close to returning from a tweaked hamstring and another undisclosed injury, and Jackson said he’ll be ready for training camp in July.

“Corey is very close,’’ said Jackson, who declined to specify the injuries. “He’s closer to playing than he’s not to playing, so he’ll be back out there very soon. I anticipate that when we get back he’ll be ready to go and if we decide to stick him out there before then, then I’ll talk to him about his status and where we are.’’

6. Joel Bitonio sighting

Bitonio eased his way back into a few individual drills Tuesday, his first action since undergoing Lisfranc foot surgery in October. Joe Thomas has been resting throughout OTAs and minicamp, but participated in the walk-through Tuesday. Center JC Tretter was idle and Gabe Ikard started in his place.

“I looked out there and saw a whole bunch of guys,’’ said Jackson. “Today was a good day. It’s good to see all of our players participating, even the guys that have been injured doing a little more than what they’ve been doing.

"My job as a head coach is to get these guys through OTAs, through the minicamp and get them to training camp with the best team that we can have with a healthy football team, so we can have the best shot at working towards winning and that’s what’s important.’’ http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/06/deshone_kizer_working_with_1st.html
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/14/17 01:50 AM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
"That’s what we need to see on offense. We need that combative, tough environment. That’s how you get better, that’s how you start building a football team, and that’s what we’re trying to do.’’

That comment alone is thread-worthy. We've practiced against the league's worst defense for too long now. Hue and GW understand what this means and how competition changes that dynamic.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/14/17 02:15 AM
Thanks for the article. You find a lot of good articles and videos. I appreciate it.
Posted By: Jester Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/14/17 02:51 AM
I appreciate it.

You might even say that you were Grateful smile
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/14/17 03:00 AM
Nice. grin
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/14/17 09:29 AM
I would welcome it if the D becomes the face of the franchise. Limiting points is as good as scoring points. Ok, maybe a fraction under scoring points. You do have to score at least 3 points to win a game.

The point is D is where fans can get excited and loud. When we are on D is when the 12th man can help impact the game. It will be interesting to see if these initial reports can be carried through camp and in to the season. At this point in the year, the D is always going to have the edge.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/14/17 09:40 AM
sounds to me like Kizer has been showing some nice improvement and ability ... the batted ball comment is interesting too. We all know that Hue prefers bigger QBs.

so tired of reading about Coleman's injuries
Posted By: Jester Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/14/17 03:20 PM
Technically only 2 points
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/14/17 03:53 PM
Hue said if he needed it, he could've pushed Coleman to be out there. He seems like th coach that will always be cautious with players with injuries.

Coleman needs the practice, he's about as raw as any.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/14/17 04:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Jester

But with Cleveland's history of being victimized by obscure rules, our luck is we score a TD, kick the extra point, but the refs take away the 6 points...

I think 1 point is wholly possible.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/14/17 06:58 PM
Browns' dominating defense is advanced schooling for the offense
2:49 PM ET

Tony Grossi
ESPN Cleveland

Editor's note: Tony Grossi covers the Cleveland Browns for ESPN 850 WKNR.
Takeaways from Browns minicamp Day 2 and player availability …

1. Defense dominating: On the first day of minicamp, Cody Kessler had three passes rejected at the line of scrimmage (two by Emmanuel Ogbah) and DeShone Kizer was intercepted when linebacker Jamie Collins read the play and blew up a tight end screen out of a bunch formation. These plays continued the inescapably dominant theme of this Browns offseason – the personality of the team will come from the defense.

At the end of a calisthenics drill before every practice unique to the defense – the so-called up-and-down drill, with the entire defense lined up across the field, jogging five yards and then hitting the ground in push-up position – the defense breaks with the voiced mantra of coordinator Gregg Williams: “Come get some!”

2. Learning, not competing: To some degree, this is why the quarterback competition hasn’t really begun. This offseason has been about learning more than competing. Part of that education is adapting to a multi-faceted, unpredictable defense Williams presents from play to play. “It’s all learning,” Kessler said. “Obviously, you don’t want that to happen as a quarterback. But our defensive line has been very physical. They’ve done a great job of creating turnovers, getting tipped passes all OTAs and minicamp. And it’s been great.

It helps you as a quarterback to find throwing lanes and do different things, have to throw around guys. They can’t hit us in the [pass] rush, but they’re doing a great job of sitting back and jumping. It helps. As a quarterback, you go back and watch it and say, ‘Maybe I have to change my arm angle.’ A guy I’ve watched do that is Drew Brees. Our defense played great yesterday – tipped passes, interceptions. As an offense, you take from it that I’ve got to learn from this and come back and prove it.”

3. Rookie education: Everything is a learning experience to Kizer, the rookie, but he, too, is benefitting from an advanced class of defense the likes of which he never saw in two years at Notre Dame. “Coach Williams is a guy who’s so multi-faceted on defense, coming up with a bunch of different looks in a bunch of different situations,” Kizer said. “Right when you get comfortable, he throws something new at you.

Every day there’s something new. I think that’s going to be one of the biggest assets for me moving into the season -- to see all these different looks. Right when you think you have him, he’s going to throw something completely different at you. And the way that we respond to that allows me to understand how our offense is schematically. I get to see the roots, so that when I do start game-planning for teams I understand beforehand what could potentially be that game-plan.”

4. Brock would know: If any of the quarterbacks should have a gauge on the authenticity of the new-look Browns’ defense, it should be Brock Osweiler. He has been the quarterback on the teams with the top overall defense the last two years – Denver in 2015 and Houston in 2016.

“I think what Coach Williams and the defense are doing is fantastic,” Osweiler said. “The one thing they bring is an attitude. And they bring it every single day. The whole defense flies to the ball, they’re causing turnovers. Offensively, we need to clean that up. But what we see as an offense, they’re just playing fast, they’re physical, they’re tough, they have an edge to them, and it’s really exciting to see.”

5. Wasted energy?: How can we really tell at this stage if it’s a strong defense or a really weak offense? So I asked Osweiler if accomplished units like the Broncos and Texans practiced with such robust intensity in the month of June or if this is just wasted energy being exerted by the showboating Williams. He had a great answer.

“You know, what I would say as far as my past experiences, the great teams always compete,” Osweiler said. “It doesn’t matter what the month is, what the day is. They always compete and they push each other defensively and offensively. There’s never a wasted day. That’s what I see in our defense.” espn
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/14/17 10:54 PM

True enough, but then that is the D. I'd like my O to at least chip in a field-goal!;)
Posted By: Jester Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/14/17 11:18 PM
Agreed. And I was just giving you a hard time. I posted from my phone and haven't figured out how to do the smiley face from my phone.

Interesting (potential) fact.
I say potential fact because I am not sure this is accurate.
I posted the link to a NY Times article, but if anyone can confirm that would be appreciated.

While there is no way to win with 1 point, there is now a way to lose with one point.

Apparently, with the moving of the extra point back to the 15, they added another rule. If on the extra point attempt, if what would normally be a safety occurs, then one point is awarded.

Example, if team A scores a TD and in the process it is blocked, recovered by the defense who runs around and ends up retreating into the endzone where they are tackled. That would result in 1 point.

So you can lose 6-1 but cannot win 1-0
Weird huh?

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/11/sport...sible.html?_r=0
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/14/17 11:49 PM
You can actually score 1 point now? I mean a single point not attached to a TD.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 12:03 AM
I wonder if our offense is going to be historically bad this year?
Posted By: bugs Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 12:56 AM
I'd actually be ecstatic if Cleveland's offense develops an identity.

Right now they are betting on two TEs, a go route receiver, and possession guys. All the making of a WCO.

Are they signing Crowell to a long term contract? If they don't, how can they say we are a run team?

Last year we saw an offense playing catch up. Can we see some sign this year where they dictate something?
Posted By: lampdogg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 01:03 AM

Geez man, I appreciate that you want to offer a balance to all the brown-coloured glasses crowd, but it can't be worse than last year.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 01:07 AM
Why not?

We lost our best receiver. We have no experience at TE. I think we got worse [at least for this upcoming year] at qb. We should have a better OL, but we lost our best RT and have no one who is proven at that position. The RG should be better, but I always thought Greco was one of very best linemen. The center should be better, but he has been injured more than not.

I see an offense that won't be explosive and have to earn every yard. They might have a drive or two a game, but you can't win that way. Much like last year. Especially if we roll w/Cody all year. At least RGIII opened up the running game.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 01:14 AM

Geez man, I appreciate that you want to offer a balance to all the brown-coloured glasses crowd, but it can't be worse than last year.

The offense is going to be crushingly bad. Is there a worse offense on paper?
Posted By: lampdogg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 01:18 AM
I don't know if there's a worse offence on paper.
What I do know is they don't play football games on paper.

Obviously we need the QB situation straightened out, but an improved o-line - wish we had of kept Pasztor though - should help. One key will be a 2nd year WR growing significantly. But as always, the biggest key is the quarterback.
Posted By: dawgpound101 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 01:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

The offense is going to be crushingly bad. Is there a worse offense on paper?

Jets and niners come to mind off the bat.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 01:41 AM
And it would have been crushingly bad with Pryor as well.
Posted By: bugs Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 01:54 AM
I believe Cleveland had the honor of being the worst, inept, and crushingly bad offense each of the last ten OTAs and Mini-Camp. Of those last ten, Browns had the first pick only once.

This year there is more competition to be the worst too!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 01:57 AM
LOL............come on, bugs.

Each year at this time, many of you overrate how good we will be and complain about those of us who try to keep it real.
Posted By: bugs Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 02:02 AM
LOL............come on, bugs.

Each year at this time, many of you overrate how good we will be and complain about those of us who try to keep it real.

I'm trying very hard centering my emotions!! It's not easy! LOL!!!

I do like what Cleveland is doing. They did chose the toughest road to take first.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 02:08 AM

Some can only hope.
Posted By: Jester Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 02:08 AM
Sure seems that way 'peen.

It also seems ridiculously difficult for that play to occur. I described one scenario in the original post. But thinking about it, the most likely way for it to occur (IMO) would be that the kicking team would put a fast guy to be the holder. Then on the snap he runs 85 yards in the opposite direction to run the clock out, giving up 1 point in the process in exchange for not having to kick-off.

The only team I can see actually doing something like that would be the Patriots.
I bet you could get some pretty good odds in Vegas if you wanted to bet that the 1-point play would occur this season.
Posted By: alne Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 02:37 AM
I may be mistaken but I think the clock does not run during extra point attempts
Posted By: lampdogg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 02:45 AM
Originally Posted By: alne
I may be mistaken but I think the clock does not run during extra point attempts

It doesn't. But I think jester was jesting.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 02:57 AM
I hear you and I get that's what fans do. I just hope y'all don't turn on Hue when reality sets in.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 09:54 AM
I don't want to turn on him, but I can't say I won't. Just depends on the situation. Just depends on how the O looks, the flow of games, etc.

I am not there yet, but I do have to admit there is this seed in the back of my mind that says Hue might be a little more talk than action.

I hope I can discard that idea early on before it starts to take root and grow..
Posted By: Jester Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 11:35 AM
Thanks for having my back. But I actually forgot that the clock stops during extra points. DOH! I'm usually better about stuff like that.

So then I can't think of any scenario other than my original that would lead to the use of this obscure rule.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 11:52 AM
I don't want to turn on him, but I can't say I won't. Just depends on the situation. Just depends on how the O looks, the flow of games, etc.

I am not there yet, but I do have to admit there is this seed in the back of my mind that says Hue might be a little more talk than action.

I hope I can discard that idea early on before it starts to take root and grow..

Hue was a 2nd year head coach ... his stint in LA was only for a year i believe ...Hue has LOTS of room for growth ... he did a good job in some areas but needs to improve in others ...

One things for sure the players LOVE playing for him ... they'd run through a brick wall for him .. i could care less about that cause theres a lot of guys that LOVE playing for coaches for all the wrong reasons .. that doesn't seem to be the case with Hue ... he seems to be able walk that very very fine line where they LOVE him and RESPECT him ... he can teach them and point out their negatives in a way that the players know he's doing it with their best interest at heart .... hope i explained that right ...

That's GREAT ...

He's also put together a fine staff ... other GOOD coaches seem to gravitate to him .. Williams and Saunders come to mind ...

He REALLY needs to improve in a few areas ...

One other thing he did last year that I LOVED that I'm not sure anyone's ever talked about ... and I'm sure not many will agree with my take here ... but thats OK .. its happend once or twice before ... *L* ......

how he handled Pryor ... at the beginning of the year through about game 4 or so .. we'd run wild cat packages with Pryor (witch I loved as I drafted him on 3 of my 4 fantasy teams with my last pick .. thumbsup ) ... and they were very affective for the most part ... they certainly didn't hurt us .. *L* ...

I kept saying .. let him learn how to play WR this year ... then u can throw in the wildcat stuff ... and after right around game 4 we saw no more TP in the wildcat ... it hurt me in fantasy and i ended up cutting him ... but IMO Hue did the absolute right thing ... it was a LEARNING year as opposed to a winning year .. and no ... I'm not saying we tanked .. but our priorities last year should have and were to let people learn and grow ..

I really liked that fact ... but that very well just may be me ...

Where theres plenty of room for improvement ..

- Time/Game mgmt. ... Lou Holtz cost us a national championship cause he didn't know how to handle the clock ... still hurts typing it 30 years later ... *L* .. last year .. Hue made Lou look like a frickin GENIUS when it comes to time mgmt. ... Hue cost us the Miami game IMO by taking a knee so our FG kicker could attempt a game winner from the same hash and same distance he had missed form twice all ready in that game ... AS BAD AS IT GETS ...

There's a bunch more time mgmt. stuff ... he needs some serious HELP here ...

- he quit RUNNING the ball ... i could care less about the why ... u can't just STOP RUNNING THE BALL even if u can't do it ... he took Crow out of the game as opposed to making the D do it ... he has admitted so himself ... u have to at least TRY ...

its not like our passing game was affective or scared anyone .. we had a revolving door at QB with a 3rd round rookie getting most of the starts and we had one viable WR/TE for the entire year and one that showed glimpses in 2 or maybe 3 games ... our best recievers were Duke and Crow after Pryor ...

It made no sense to me last year and i was glad to see Hue admit it .. lets see if its talk or he gets away from it again ...

I'm not so sure him being HC and OC isn't to much for him ... we'll see how that goes ... there were plenty of other questionable at best play calls ... they just made no sense to me .. like the game where RG3 was in street clothes ... CK was out for whatever reason ... he started the game ... Luke came in with his sore shoulder and Hue runs a QB option with his only QB all ready hurting ...

First off .. what world does running a QB option with Luke many any sense in ... 2nd .. if its your only healthy QB left for that game ... u prolly don't want to risk running him ..

- the way he handled CK in the Rats game and then in the press ... that was BRUTAL ... absolutely BRUTAL ... will get into that more when i post on CK ...

I'll give him a few more years as thats how long coaches deserve IMO ... I hope to see HUGE improvements in time/game mgmt. and in his blips of stupidity with play calls ...

I feel like u do Peen .. i really want to get on board but theres just something there to me that don't feel right .. like u I hope he SQUELCHES THE HELL OUT OF THAT ...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 01:16 PM

Here's the thing. Our offensive talent/experience is terrible. No one is going to win or score a lot of points w/such a poor offensive roster.

A lot of people don't want to admit that and keep talking about how good of a job the FO is doing. Well, I suppose that is fine and dandy, but when reality sets in and the offense doesn't perform well, many of you will blame Hue.

It won't be fair. It won't be right. But, it's what people do. And the Merry Go Round of Misery will keep spinning 'round and 'round.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 01:34 PM
Luke?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 01:37 PM
He meant Luke's brother, Josh.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 02:26 PM
I'll try to keep it fair. I have already said he needs at least this season and at least part of next season.

Maybe it's his ego, I don't know. He is called a QB whisperer, and he seems to buy in to that. He would be better off downplaying that.

At any rate, this isn't a call for Hue's head. It's just there is something there that I can't really put my finger on. We'll just see how it plays out.

JMO
Posted By: mac Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 04:34 PM

Here's the thing. Our offensive talent/experience is terrible. No one is going to win or score a lot of points w/such a poor offensive roster.

A lot of people don't want to admit that and keep talking about how good of a job the FO is doing. Well, I suppose that is fine and dandy, but when reality sets in and the offense doesn't perform well, many of you will blame Hue.

It won't be fair. It won't be right. But, it's what people do. And the Merry Go Round of Misery will keep spinning 'round and 'round.

The Browns offense is going to need time, especially considering the QB situation, new center, OG, RT, new WRs, new TE. The more reps the offense has as a unit, the better they will perform but it will take time for the offense to gel.

Hopefully the injury bug will not be as much of an issue for the offense as it was last season. With the improvements to the offensive line, I'm looking for much better protection for our QBs.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 10:18 PM
Running the ball also protects QB's. You have to make D linemen and backers play the run first, or at least respect the fact you might run.

That slows the rush a smidge, but a smidge is many times the difference between a O-lineman getting beat off the edge and being able to get his feet set up a little behind his shoulders where he is in a good position to stonewall a pass rusher. If your feet are even with or in front of your shoulders, it's easy to get pushed back or to the side.

You're done when that happens.
Posted By: Vambo Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 10:29 PM
Grossi: Boddy-Calhoun stood out in OTAs
The corner could be one to watch in his second season.

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/Grossi-Boddy-Calhoun-stood-out-in-OTAs-53185691

A year ago, Briean Boddy-Calhoun was a little known undrafted cornerback playing for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

After he was acquired by the Cleveland Browns on Sep. 4, he posted a 68.5 grade on Pro Football Focus, which rendered him the No. 71 ranked cornerback in the NFL.

During organized training activities and mini-camp, the media is limited to what they are able to see. ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi felt that Boddy-Calhoun was a standout during the periods he was able to watch.

An improved Boddy-Calhoun would be a big boost to the Browns secondary. The team added veteran Jason McCourty this off-season as well as fourth-round selection Howard Wilson. Wilson went down with an injury during OTAs. He may not be able to return this season. Others must step up in his absence.

Last season, the Minnesota product recorded 43 tackles, three interceptions and a sack. He took one of those interceptions to the house in the Sep. 25 game against the Miami Dolphins.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 11:44 PM
Browns notebook: D-line coach says Caleb Brantley fluctuates from looking like first-round talent to someone unworthy of playing

By Nate Ulrich
Beacon Journal sports writer

BEREA: Browns defensive line coach Clyde Simmons publicly issued a challenge Thursday to rookie defensive tackle Caleb Brantley: Play hard all the time if you want to be on the field.

Most analysts projected Brantley to become a second-round pick before a woman accused him of punching her in the face outside a bar just two weeks before the draft. The Browns drafted Brantley in the sixth round April 29, and the state attorney’s office in Gainesville, Fla., announced May 17 a misdemeanor battery complaint against the former University of Florida player been dismissed.
Several Browns fans labeled Brantley the steal of the draft when he was cleared, but Simmons isn’t satisfied with his pupil.
“Caleb is a unique personality and unique player,” Simmons, who played D-line in the NFL for 15 years and made two Pro Bowls, said after the third and final practice of mandatory minicamp. “He shows first-round talent at times and then he shows somebody who shouldn’t be playing at other times, and my job is to get him playing at a consistent level, a consistent high level.”
Is Brantley’s effort inconsistent?
“Effort, all the stuff,” Simmons replied. “He’s like every young player that comes in this league. They’ve got an idea about what they want and what they think they can do, but you have to learn to play it the way we want you to play it.”
Asked if it’s sinking in for Brantley, Simmons said, “Absolutely, it’s getting through. From the time he stepped in for minicamp until he stepped off the field today was night and day.”

On way back
Wide receivers coach Al Saunders revealed 2016 first-round pick Corey Coleman missed the final seven of nine organized team activity practices and all three mandatory minicamp practices because of a hamstring injury.
Coleman suffered the injury May 24 when he took an awkward fall while making a catch along the sideline.
“When he landed on the ball, I think it had something to do with his shoulder or something,” Saunders said. “And from what I understand, everything’s probably OK in that regard, and I think that Hue would tell you and everybody would tell you that the only reason he was kept out this last week was precautionary.
“He was having a terrific OTA session and then he got hurt. You’d always like to see a guy have the opportunity to improve and develop his skills. So it’s disappointing, but I’m sure that he’ll be back for training camp ready to go, and he’s just got to get his hamstring stronger and he’s got to get his self in shape and he’ll be ready to go.”
Coleman jogged through routes during walk-through periods in minicamp.

Motivated veteran
Earlier this offseason, two-time Pro Bowl cornerback Joe Haden told the tale of his first meeting with new Browns defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. Haden explained Williams got in his face and told him if he hadn’t played through two groin injuries last season, the coach would have told the front office to cut him.
“I think I got his attention. That’s all it is,” Williams said. “There are lots of ways to go. Pat you on the back. That hasn’t worked here, so why would we be surprised that all of a sudden we have to do something different?
“My job is to effect change. If you can’t effect change, you have to do something else. He has been extremely focused. I don’t care how I did it. You should see how hard he’s worked in the weight room. That’s his idea. That’s not my idea. That’s great.”

Even swap?
The Browns signed Kenny Britt and let fellow receiver Terrelle Pryor get away in free agency.
They had similar production last season, but was it an even swap?
“[Britt is] probably a little more physical than Terrelle is, and Terrelle was learning how to play the position [last season after switching from quarterback],” Saunders said. “Kenny brings an experience level to us that we don’t have in that room.
“They’re both great to work with but Kenny’s just a different kind of a player, and we’ll see when we get into uniforms and playing against people how you would compare those two. But we’re going to miss Terrelle, and we’re glad to have Kenny here. It would be nice to have both of them.”
Saunders added this prediction about how Pryor will fare in Washington: “I would be shocked if he wasn’t in the Pro Bowl next year. I think he’s going to have that kind of year.”

Extra points
• Tight end David Njoku, a first-round pick (No. 29 overall), signed his four-year, $9.525 million rookie contract. Of the team’s 10 draft selections this year, only strong safety Jabrill Peppers, a first-round choice (No. 25), remains unsigned.

• Williams said Peppers and Calvin Pryor, acquired in a June 1 trade with the New York Jets, will play similar roles and could appear on the field at the same time because he features three safeties in some packages.

• Defensive backs coach DeWayne Walker said he thinks cornerback is the best position for free-agent acquisition Jason McCourty and all of his work with the Browns has been at corner so far. Williams said McCourty can play cornerback and free safety. “Not only can he do that, he’s a sharp dude and he has good leadership in his heart,” Williams said. “So he fits in.”

• Linebackers coach Blake Williams, Gregg’s son, said Tank Carder could start at middle linebacker. Carder has started just two games in his five NFL seasons, but he has practiced with the first-team defense since the Browns traded Demario Davis for Calvin Pryor. “We are comfortable with that. It is a competition. Nothing is by any means set.” The other candidates are Joe Schobert and Dominique Alexander.

• After practice, coach Hue Jackson held fun competitions between position groups. Linebacker Jamie Collins was the only player to throw a 20-yard pass into a throwing net, allowing the linebackers to defeat the running backs. The defensive linemen beat the offensive lineman in a punt-catching contest.

• The following players didn’t practice: Coleman, defensive end Myles Garrett (foot), cornerback Howard Wilson (fractured kneecap), center Austin Reiter, left tackle Joe Thomas and guard John Greco.

• Center JC Tretter and receiver Kenny Britt returned to practice.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/browns...laying-1.774683
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 11:55 PM
Brantley is one of the laziest players I have ever watched. He better get that motor going or he will be out of a job.

I find it interesting that they would consider played Alexander at Mike. I would move Collins inside and play Alexander at the Will and Kirksey at the Sam if we went w/those three. Perhaps Carder has the edge because they really want to keep Collins and Kirksey on the outside????
Posted By: Pdawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/15/17 11:57 PM
Browns won't update condition of Myles Garrett foot injury or confirm positive report

Editor's note: Tony Grossi covers the Cleveland Browns for ESPN 850 WKNR.

Takeaways from Browns minicamp Day 3 and player availability …

1. No Myles to go: The Browns declined to give an update on the condition of top pick Myles Garrett, other than to say through a spokesman that his foot injury was still being evaluated. Garrett injured his left foot near the end of Wednesday’s practice when it appeared to give out without contact while rushing passer Brock Osweiler. Garrett did not need assistance leaving the field, but limped noticeably. Garrett was absent when the team held an abbreviated practice to conclude its three-day minicamp and offseason program on Thursday. Later in the day, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network tweeted that Garrett is “fine,” via an unnamed source, but the Browns would not confirm it. Coach Hue Jackson was not available to media, as it was pre-scheduled for assistant coaches to share the podiums. The first question to defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was if he had an update on Garrett. “No, I don’t do that. That’s the head coach,” he said. In a generic comment on Garrett’s overall progress prior to the injury, Williams said, “He’s done a great job. It’s still way early. You guys are gonna see a pretty good football player when he gets a chance to get out there and go. I’ll just wait and let him show everybody before I talk about it.”

2. Safety numbers: What will be the specific roles of rookie Jabrill Peppers and newly acquired Calvin Pryor, who appear to share similar skill sets? Williams indicated that both could play on the field together, with a free safety joining them. “Right now, we play with multiple safeties,” Williams said. “I’ve done that for, gosh, almost 20 years in the league now and other people are copying that. They’re playing similar, but I’m not saying the same. We’ll get as many good players in packages as needed. If it means playing only one linebacker, I’ll play one linebacker. Wherever I’ve been, we’ve played with lots of DBs because the league has become a one-back throwing league. Wherever I’ve been people don’t really want to get lined up in two-back offenses and try to run it against us because we’ll load up and outnumber you that way. You got to get bigger if they’re bigger, you got to get littler if they’re littler, and you still gotta be fast. They’ll be playing similar things, but there’s nothing clear-cut yet.”

3. Collins everywhere: On that note, Williams pointed out that everybody on his defense is required to play two positions as a means of the coaches patching up injury situations on the run. This led to a discussion about the wondrous athletic talents of 6-3, 250-pound linebacker Jamie Collins, who is the most reticent interview on the team. “He’s gonna be mad about me telling you this,” Williams said. “He is very intelligent. He was a high school quarterback and would have liked to play quarterback in college. He’s begging me to play free safety, and I’m not saying he couldn’t be the best one out there right now. He could play defensive end. There’s lots of things about his versatility that … it’s gonna be fun and challenging to find spots to cut him loose and let him go.”

4. Brownie bits: Safeties coach Jerod Kruse on Peppers: “Just my own opinion. He’s one of the best overall football players I saw in this year’s draft.” … On the subject of DeShone Kizer’s progress, quarterbacks coach David Lee said that on his first day on the field, “he couldn’t call a play in the huddle,” but he mastered that by the third practice. “He’s a long way from being ready. But he’s climbing it, making progress,” Lee said … Receivers coach Al Saunders confirmed the biggest thing keeping Corey Coleman off the field in minicamp was a recurrent hamstring problem. “I’m disappointed for him that he can’t continue to grow in the fundamentals and skills of his position,” Saunders said. “He was having a terrific OTA session, then he got hurt. I’m sure he’ll be back for training camp ready to go. Just got to get his hamstring stronger and himself in shape and he’ll be good to go.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland/post/...positive-report
Posted By: Pdawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/16/17 12:00 AM
Quote:
Asked if it’s sinking in for Brantley, Simmons said, “Absolutely, it’s getting through. From the time he stepped in for minicamp until he stepped off the field today was night and day.”

Hopefully the above quote is true.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/16/17 12:06 AM
Quote:
No Myles to go: The Browns declined to give an update on the condition of top pick Myles Garrett, other than to say through a spokesman that his foot injury was still being evaluated.

I'm not getting a good vibe off of this situation. Damn, Garrett is the first guy we have taken in round one that I totally agreed with since Joe Thomas and this news is rather troubling for me.

Quote:
3. Collins everywhere: On that note, Williams pointed out that everybody on his defense is required to play two positions as a means of the coaches patching up injury situations on the run. This led to a discussion about the wondrous athletic talents of 6-3, 250-pound linebacker Jamie Collins, who is the most reticent interview on the team. “He’s gonna be mad about me telling you this,” Williams said. “He is very intelligent. He was a high school quarterback and would have liked to play quarterback in college. He’s begging me to play free safety, and I’m not saying he couldn’t be the best one out there right now. He could play defensive end. There’s lots of things about his versatility that … it’s gonna be fun and challenging to find spots to cut him loose and let him go.”

That is a pretty strong statement. It would be great if he could become a dominant player for us.

Quote:
Receivers coach Al Saunders confirmed the biggest thing keeping Corey Coleman off the field in minicamp was a recurrent hamstring problem. “

I wonder if this will enough proof for a certain someone?
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/16/17 12:33 AM
Originally Posted By: mac

The Browns offense is going to need time, especially considering the QB situation, new center, OG, RT, new WRs, new TE. The more reps the offense has as a unit, the better they will perform but it will take time for the offense to gel.

Hopefully the injury bug will not be as much of an issue for the offense as it was last season. With the improvements to the offensive line, I'm looking for much better protection for our QBs.

I'm on board with that post, mac...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/16/17 12:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Quote:

Hopefully the above quote is true.

Why would he if it wasn't? It would just make him look stupid.

My feeling is if he looks like a 1st rounder some of the time, he probably makes the team. Just have to motivate him to look like a 1st rounder more of the time.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/16/17 03:50 AM
Why is Peppers not signed yet?

Why is Tank Carder being hyped up by the LB coach?
Posted By: lampdogg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/16/17 03:55 AM
And hopefully, give the young guys - rookies and second-year players - time to develop.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/16/17 09:21 AM
Why is Peppers not signed yet?

I have been wondering this as well, but didn't ask because then I would just be an OSU homer.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/16/17 10:26 AM
There are 2-3 players in front of him that haven't signed.
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/16/17 03:36 PM
agent trying to save face after creating the firestorm of afraid to take drug test by not signing waiver for ota's, would be my guess. Imagine he will be done shortly. No idea why anyone would hire an agent to do their rookie contract anyway.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/16/17 05:23 PM
Why is Tank Carder being hyped up by the LB coach?

Playing well? Doing what he's told? Learning the system? Good attitude and energy? Just guessing.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/16/17 06:40 PM
Tank Carder gets hyped up just about every pre-season.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/16/17 08:47 PM
Perhaps. But he doesn't always get first reps with the ones.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/16/17 10:55 PM
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Perhaps. But he doesn't always get first reps with the ones.

I thought he only got 1st reps with special teams. lol.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/17/17 03:11 AM
cfrs wants this deleted.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/17/17 03:16 AM
He practiced with the team the next day.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/17/17 03:35 AM
Does that mean I should delete the article?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/17/17 03:43 AM
Does that mean I should delete the article?

Yes.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/17/17 03:45 AM
Hope you are happy, Censor.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 06/17/17 03:47 AM
Hope you are happy, Censor.

Delete this post too.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 07/01/17 07:31 PM
John Greco - G - Browns

Browns OL John Greco (foot) is questionable for training camp.
Greco missed the offseason recovering from Lisfranc surgery. He's unlikely to be cleared for training camp and isn't a lock to be ready for Week 1. ESPN Cleveland believes the "odds are stacked against" Greco making the final roster.

Source: clevelandbrowns.com Jun 30 - 6:59 PM
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 07/01/17 09:25 PM
... the "odds are stacked against" Greco making the final roster.

I'd be shocked if Greco was cut loose...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 07/01/17 11:12 PM
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
... the "odds are stacked against" Greco making the final roster.

I'd be shocked if Greco was cut loose...

I don't know. A quick look at the roster and I counted 15 OL on board at this time, including Greco.

At 32, he is at the age we might not keep him if a younger player shows some promise. Greco is probably playing for a back-up role.

In his favor is he is pretty good at several positions. That covers a few positions and adds value. For some positions, 32 is getting a bit long in the tooth. I don't know if OL is included in that. Lot's a good Olinemen have held up well in to their late 30's, early 40's.

John has never impressed me as a physical freak. He may not last until near 40, but at 32, I could see him playing well for another 3 years. So it just depends on if we want a vet back-up who is going to decline in a few years, or a young guy who we think is going to get better for the next 7 years?

Something to be said for either way we go.

I hope he sticks, but I hope some others stick as well. I wouldn't be shocked if he is cut loose. If he is cut, I hope we give him the veteran nod and make it early enough and not the last round of cuts. Give him a good shot and landing on another team. After 10 years in the league, he deserves that.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 07/01/17 11:18 PM
For years, I have believed that Greco was the most underrated player on the team.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 07/02/17 12:21 AM
No argument here. He's been a solid member of the team. I am just saying we shouldn't be shocked if he is cut, especially if he is limited through camp. It's not like he is a all-pro like Joe who can skate through camp if he wishes.

John is a lunch pail type of player. Kind of like Hank Frailey. Good guys to have on the team, solid players, everybody like them, but not so good they can't be replaced.
Posted By: Jester Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 07/02/17 01:04 AM
I'd bet money he starts the year on the PUP list
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 07/02/17 01:46 AM
I see NO WAY he gets cut UNLESS he's not healthy and his health is questionable long term ...

U cant have enough OLman in todays NFL .. IMO injuries are the biggest factors in who wins and who doesn't ... this games gotten crazy ...

I'm with Jester ... i think worse case for him is he starts the season on IR and is designated for return ... if hes cut were going to miss him this year at least ...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 07/02/17 11:38 AM
Yeah, I would not cut Greco. Bitonio has missed significant time due to injuries in his brief career.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 07/02/17 10:47 PM
I'd bet money he starts the year on the PUP list

You would probably win.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 07/02/17 11:35 PM
I see NO WAY he gets cut UNLESS he's not healthy and his health is questionable long term ...

U cant have enough OLman in todays NFL .. IMO injuries are the biggest factors in who wins and who doesn't ... this games gotten crazy ...

I'm with Jester ... i think worse case for him is he starts the season on IR and is designated for return ... if hes cut were going to miss him this year at least ...

FYI: IF he starts TC on the PUP and is unable to participate through TC (and then stays on the PUP) we wouldn't have to use the designated-to-return tag on him. He'd be unavailable though part of the year just like several other guys who could start the year on the PUP.

I believe the designated-to-return tag is for guys who were active for TC and/or for sometime during the regular season. I believe two guys can now be given that tag.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: OTA's and Mini Camp. - 07/04/17 04:09 AM
I agree, and in that case, we really don't have to make a determination on his making the 53 to start the season.
© DawgTalkers.net