Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Browns players kneel during National Anthem

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/Browns-players-kneel-during-National-Anthem-106375149

Several Cleveland Browns players took a knee during Monday night's National Anthem according to Mary Kay Cabot.

Linebacker Jamie Collins, running back Duke Johnson, tight end Seth DeValve, running back Isaiah Crowell and wide receiver Kenny Britt were among the group.
Quarterback DeShone Kizer placed his hands on a few during the protest.

Earlier in the week, Jackson made the claim that he did not want his players to protest the National Anthem.

The protest originated in 2016 when San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick took a knee to protest police brutality and the racial divide.

Crowell is in interesting participant in the protest. Last July, he posted an insensitive picture on Instagram illustrating a policeman.

Skirmishes in Charlottesville and Boston likely incited the group's decision to protest. None of the players took a knee during the preseason opener against the New Orleans Saints. White supremacists and anti-protesters clashed in both locations.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Leave the politics to the politicians they know how to screw things up ... tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They can all take a knee and be in good position to kiss my ass.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
OK. SO when do you want to go tell them?? Maybe we can make it happen!

C
Legend
Legend
C

Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
The more they stand the least news worthy it will become.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have to apologize. The players imho were very respectful in their prayer/protest. It wasnt a look at me moment ike we have seen from others.

O
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
O
Disgusting, my worst moment as a Brown's fan in 51 years.

#2 isn't even close.

To hide behind the prayer thing made it all the more disrespectful, inconsiderate, and disgusting.

You guys think you are good people? Foolish, mislead, brainwashed, mind-controlled libtards. That is what you are. That is who you are.

I wish everyone of you were cut from the team tonight.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
j/c

It's interesting to see which the flag-waving types think is more important: a symbolic piece of nylon, or actual free speech and protest in the name of justice and human life itself.

Anyway, this thread seems like it belongs in Tailgate.

Last edited by Brownie_Dawg; 08/22/17 03:07 AM.
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
As a praying man my self I think they should stand during the Anthem I think it's disrespectful to the flag and those that serve.u can call it what u want or u can say it means this or that that.at the end it's disappointing and shameful not to stand for the Anthem

O
Legend
Legend
O
FUlly expected to see heads exploding in here. I bet this thread will be hugely entertaining the next few days.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
It seems we already have someone equating the flag with God -- at least as far as prayer is concerned.

For the record, that's objectively antithetical to both America and God.

smile

Earth is the biggest planet in the world.
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
Maybe we should not stand for them.just maybe we turn the TV and they lose rating that means they lose the big TV commercial contract.maybe I don't buy that jersery and I give the money to another cause.maybe I don't buy anything NFL . maybe I take a knee against them

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Most of those guys would benefit from making a few statements ON the football field...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Even after a 1 and 15 season and 20+ years of losing. Last night was the most ashamed I ever have been to be a Browns fan. Simply shameful and disgusting. The flag is how we honor those that died for our freedom. To not honor that is nothing more than a disrespectful act.

Legend
Legend
j/c

to me, I've never understood the relevance or point in kneeling during the anthem. What does it really accomplish? Why not just form an advocacy group during the offseason/off days if you're REALLY concerned with social injustice?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
All Pro
All Pro
I'm pretty much done with the NFL.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
V
Legend
Legend
V
Just another brick in the wall.

I'm thinking about cancelling my Sunday Ticket.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Great.

This sucks.

Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
j/c

to me, I've never understood the relevance or point in kneeling during the anthem. What does it really accomplish? Why not just form an advocacy group during the offseason/off days if you're REALLY concerned with social injustice?

Good post.

This is the right course.

Not display personal feelings on the field. They are supposed to act like highly paid professionals with one goal - win football games.

Hue looks like he's not in control of the team.

It sure looks like the browns are going to suck into the future. This is very bad news for the franchise.

This sucks. I am bummed.

There goes this season and probably Hue too.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Those players exercised "a right" provided to them by the American Constitution..didn't break any federal, state or local laws..didn't break any NFL rules or team rules that I know of..so I have no problem with what they did.

Those who served and sacrificed for the USA not only protected our country, but they were protecting the rights provided to all Americans under our Constitution.

Article [I] (Amendment 1 - Freedom of expression and religion) 13

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

link

That said, personally, I would not kneel during the National Anthem, but I recognize the right of others to have a different opinion and to exercise their rights under our Constitution.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
j/c

Because an advocacy group in the offseason (which can and should probably still be done) isn't in-your-face. It's quiet and passive and easily ignored.

Their protest is about not being ignored; not being brushed aside.

I absolutely do not want, like, or enjoy having my entertainment spoiled by someone shoving their political views in my face, but that is how and why the protest works - and why they are doing it where and when they are. It is their most effective way of doing it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm disappointed but not surprised. There's nothing much that these perpetually pubescent, self-important, entitled little attention-whores could do that would surprise me.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
quote by Prpl above:

Quote:
...that is how and why the protest works...

I don't feel it working.

I feel more division.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Brownie_Dawg
j/c

It's interesting to see which the flag-waving types think is more important: a symbolic piece of nylon, or actual free speech and protest in the name of justice and human life itself.

Anyway, this thread seems like it belongs in Tailgate.

This.

I'm proud of the guys.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think anyone with personal agendas in a Team sport, with the idea of being role models for kids are complete douchebags.. The NFL needs to treat this like a business and just make a rule against displays as such. This disgusted me..Don't like the country? GTFO

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
I
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I
The flag is a piece of fabric that more often than not is Made in China so spare me the drama of that is how we honor our fallen brothers and sisters . We honor them by recognizing that they sacrificed their lives for an idea .

I may not be jumping up and down with joy over the fact that this group of athletes choose this method of protest but it is what it is .

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

While players have a "right" not to stand during the anthem, others have a "right" to be unhappy w/their position.

I think a lot of working class Americans have a difficult time identifying w/multi-millionaires complaining about "oppression" in the United States.

Last year, research polls were conducted on the topic and the data showed that NFL ratings took a hit in large part due to players kneeling during the playing of the anthem.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
I think anyone with personal agendas in a Team sport, with the idea of being role models for kids are complete douchebags.. The NFL needs to treat this like a business and just make a rule against displays as such. This disgusted me..Don't like the country? GTFO

Do you have a link quoting any one of those guys not liking the country?

And what personal agenda do you speak of?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Here is an example of the "oppression" black NFL players are protesting.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Here is an example of the "oppression" black NFL players are protesting.

exactly, NFL players and pro athletes are the last people that need to cry oppression. It'd be different if they actually did anything to help the cause, but to simply protest because it seems to be the best way to scream "Look at me, I'm protesting, put me on the news" What have any of these people done to advance the narrative on the issues they are supposedly protesting

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend

Only a matter of time before this comment showed up.

How bout this, if you don't like what the players are doing, don't watch.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Most of y'all sit on y'all asses anyway doing the national anthem. Love how people act like they stand up at home or pull over and stand while why're driving listening on the radio.

Most of y'all are already too drunk to even move.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I think it's very likely last night signaled the end of Hue Jackson's career as an effective NFL head coach.

After last night, I put the odds at much greater than 50/50 that Hue Jackson is out before the 2018 season.

That's why so many Browns fans are saddened by this.

It smacks of a lack of discipline and leadership.

Legend
Legend
That's patently ridiculous and absurd.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I'd prefer that you're right.

One way or another, I'd like to revisit my post in 6 months.

Out of curiosity. Is this a spreading phenomenon?

Are the Patriots players taking knees?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
I think it's very likely last night signaled the end of Hue Jackson's career as an effective NFL head coach.

After last night, I put the odds at much greater than 50/50 that Hue Jackson is out before the 2018 season.

That's why so many Browns fans are saddened by this.

It smacks of a lack of discipline and leadership.

So then Pete Carroll is getting fired at seasons end too? Michael Bennett sat during the national anthem. Additionally, the Seahawks organization and Pete stand by Bennett too. Link

I don't know guys, I don't see the big deal. It's a right in this country to protest and they're doing it silently, without violence. Heck, this country was built on protesting. These athletes shouldn't care about social injustice because they have so much money, but they do and are trying to raise awareness to something bigger than themselves. It didn't bother me when Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf sat for the national anthem back in the 90's with the Denver Nuggets and it doesn't bother me today.

Plus, this isn't the first time we've seen this in the past year. I barely even flinched last night when I heard about it. I was more miffed that Djoku only had one catch for one yard and then left with an injury. Here's a message board with A LOT more members than here GAMEFAQS NFL Board, not a single thread or post talked about it last night. Players sitting or kneeling isn't moving the needle across the country anymore.

It wouldn't be how I'd protest something, but we're not talking about me.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Swish

Only a matter of time before this comment showed up.

How bout this, if you don't like what the players are doing, don't watch.

I wish I didn't have to, but we have a bunch of children playing a game for millions of dollars whining about oppression...please, and i turned it to the indians when i saw that BS.. never expected Browns players to be such douchebags, when you 1-15, you shouldnt be drawing anymore attention to yourselves

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave
I'm disappointed but not surprised. There's nothing much that these perpetually pubescent, self-important, entitled little attention-whores could do that would surprise me.

I could not have said it better myself.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
1-15 doesn't have anything to do with the issues they a bringing up. that's a failure on your part for trying to equate something that has nothing to do with each other.

praying/protesting as a group doesn't distract their football team. what they did had nothing to do with their performance on the field for 4 quarters. it only hurts your feelings for however long the anthem is playing.

and you DON'T have to. nobody is forcing you to buy tickets or watch.

so yea, you don't like it, DON'T watch.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
I disagree with what they did, but I support their right to do it.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 10 Giants 6 Browns players kneel during National Anthem

Link Copied to Clipboard