Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1301757 08/21/17 10:48 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I thought the defense looks much improved ... faster, more physical, more energy. The infusion of athleticism and Williams is paying off.

- Peppers also jumps off the screen. I was skeptical of the pick, but he looks like he belongs. Hopefully he keeps improving.

- Garrett had a nice few plays ... he needs to be more constantly disruptive (not just sacks). Most of the game he was one on one ... he has to win those IMO.

- Zeitler with some bad penalties. Gruden even called him out.

- Rod Johnson is not ready to be an NFL player

- Matthew Dayes is ready to be an NFL player. We'll see him a lot.

- Njoku has had a disappointing preseason IMO. Injuries, lack of opportunity, etc ... I still don't know what he's like as a player.

- Did Mullaney play? After last week he was quiet

- There's no doubt that Kizer brings more energy and upside. It's just if we want to risk starting him. Is it worth it? Will he be ruined? Etc. Tough call.

- Brock is just a bad QB. Accuracy is putrid. I don't know if Kizer is ready, but I do know that Brock will never be average ... heck, he might not ever be below average. IMO I don't want to see him anymore.

- We certainly miss Joe, Crow, Bitonio on O.

- Schobert is MUCH improved. Maybe the most improved on the team.

- Do we even miss Shelton when he's out? I forgot about him tonight. I'm not even sure who played on the inside of the line, but it seemed better.

- Kirksey got FOOLED on the play action dump off to Ingram ... that was all on him

- BBC's hit on OBJ was legal ... and had to have hurt ... but not dirty

- Great defensive check by us on the goal line that led to BBC's INT

- Kessler looks like he has gotten worse ... it's like he has no confidence and no ability

- Louis had a nice catch/YAC .. He looks more polished IMO

- JP Holtz is HUGE ... so is Calvin Pryor wow

- Nassib got a TON of reps. He did have some nice disruption, but man, they must want to really look at him.

- Cooper was in with the scrubs ... hmm

- Orchard didn't play did he?

- There's no secret: when the game's on the line, Williams is bringin the house

More to come ...

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Winning is better than losing?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
2-0 is better than 0-2 no matter how you slice it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Winning is better than losing?

+1 thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Interesting sight. #Browns veteran DL Desmond Bryant still playing late in fourth quarter. Being showcased for trade?
— Scott Petrak ct (@ScottPetrak) August 22, 2017

Legend
Legend
We've won three of our last four! Whooohoooo! I'm going drinking!

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Where the heck are our wide receivers?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I watched a good, solid defense beating the opposing offense, and heard about how badly the Giants offense was playing.

No respect.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
I just think they're not very good. Britt and Coleman leave a LOT to be desired as starters. We need to rely on RBs and TEs and 3/4 WRs to make catches

C
Legend
Legend
C

It's almost like they are going to be a problem.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

It's almost like they are going to be a problem.

We might want Peppers to play WR too.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I'll agree on Schobert. It'll be interesting to see how they get him on the field.

Legend
Legend
Orchard was out with a groin.

Complete list of players who sat out is here.

Browns announce players likely out vs. Giants
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/arti...79-795a8cc91d68

No. Pos. Name
24 DB Ibraheim Campbell (concussion)
26 DB Marcus Burley (face laceration)
34 RB Isaiah Crowell (groin)
35 DB Howard Wilson (knee)
39 DB Ed Reynolds II (knee)
44 DL Nate Orchard (groin)
55 DL Danny Shelton (knee)
57 DL Cam Johnson (knee)
60 OL Gabe Ikard (concussion)
73 OL Joe Thomas (not injury related)
74 OL Cameron Erving (calf)
75 OL Joel Bitonio (knee)
99 DL Caleb Brantley (shoulder)

EXPECTED LINEUP CHANGES:
#78 Rod Johnson starts at LT for #73 Joe Thomas
#77 John Greco starts at LG for #75 Joel Bitonio
#29 Duke Johnson Jr. starts at RB for #34 Isaiah Crowell
#98 Jamie Meder starts at DT for #55 Danny Shelton

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

Don't we have Josh Gord...forget it.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack

Don't we have Josh Gord...forget it.

When Colorado legalized marijuana, he was last seen going down a ski slope in a giant bowl.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Fastest, hardest hitting defense we have fielded since 2001. I believe the Giants receivers before the hit on Odell were looking for defenders.

The defense looked great except for Joe Haden and he was our 4th best corner today.

Brock was overthrowing everything and I wasnt that upset with the tip pick but pressure up the middle and he sailed it high down the middle right at a defender. Thats just absolutely stupid.

Kizer did some good. He held the ball to long at times but yea its probably gonna be him in game 3.

Myles Garrett was doubled, held, tackled.

Schobert is making a name for himself. He once again looked like that guy in Carolina. Its preseason but he flashed often.

BTW Kizer if you are gonna lower your shoulder and run over some one, make damn sure it isnt your throwing shoulder.

Duke should just concentrate on being a slot receiver. I like Dayes better as the RB.

D
1st String
1st String
D
Not a bad showing... a lot of guys who are 2nd and 3rd team got a lot of reps which is good.

Just the dawg in me..........
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Fastest, hardest hitting defense we have fielded since 2001. I believe the Giants receivers before the hit on Odell were looking for defenders.

The defense looked great except for Joe Haden and he was our 4th best corner today.

Brock was overthrowing everything and I wasnt that upset with the tip pick but pressure up the middle and he sailed it high down the middle right at a defender. Thats just absolutely stupid.

Kizer did some good. He held the ball to long at times but yea its probably gonna be him in game 3.

Myles Garrett was doubled, held, tackled.

Schobert is making a name for himself. He once again looked like that guy in Carolina. Its preseason but he flashed often.

BTW Kizer if you are gonna lower your shoulder and run over some one, make damn sure it isnt your throwing shoulder.

Duke should just concentrate on being a slot receiver. I like Dayes better as the RB.
+1 good post

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym

I wouldn't be upset with the interception normally, but having passes tipped has been a problem with Osweiler in both Denver and Houston.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Couple thoughts:

Tonight at least, on D they looked fast, ready to hit and aggressive.

Nice to see MG get his first sack. It was a gimme cuz the QB rolled right into the wheelhouse, but still good.

I'd like to keep Kizer on the bench but Brock's inaccuracy is not a positive sign. It's still pre-season though, I'm no hurry to rush Kizer but he flashed

Gonzalez is our new kicker .

Obj is a diva lol. What a puss

Peppers is dangerous on returns . My wife's favourite brown is Cribbs, and I said meet the new Josh. Unbeaten! Lol

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Lots of good points already made...I'm a bit surprised how much I enjoy watching our defense...if we can maintain this level of intensity they can keep us in/maybe even win us some games.

Peppers played well, had to pick up some slack on a few plays from a very slow/out of place Haden...

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Offense has no flow or rhythm to it
Osweiler is on his 3rd team for a reason
2 Rbs can't carry this offense it's not the 70s or 80s anymore
This offense will easy to defend.

I thought the defense looked fast and decisive.let's not forget it's easy to dial up pressure when the offense can't run the football.
The open field tackling was supurb.
Peppers is good at going north and south with the ball. Put him on offense. Why not ?

Too many penalties again on offense
Osweiler is garbage
Your better off starting Hogan
Kessler is a scout team qb at best

L
Legend
Legend
L
I forgot Schoebert, mourg. He had another solid outing, agree with you. The announcer said Williams asked Joe to shed 15 pounds to get quicker. Maybe to use him as a hybrid? Anyways I thought #53 looked good again tonight.
Hue needs to cover his mouth with the play card thing.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
It's no longer about is Kizer "ready"

He's the best QB we have.

Brock is horribly innacurate. Like. Wow.

And why is it that two of our taller QBs (Weeden and Brock) are the ones that always get passes batted down? Heck Seneca Wallace had fewer.

I don't like Duke running up the middle for some reason. Let's leave him in the slot, and give Dayes the backup carries. Kids legit.

I have no idea if we can stop the run because NYG haven't been able to run the ball since Hillis was there.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'll have to watch the game again with a closer eye on Haden. I was focused more on the trenches. My initial thought is that you're being too hard on Joe with the slow and out of position talk. I don't think he was really given the opportunities to make plays that the other guys did. Different strengths, so asked to do different things.

Brock didn't look great, but he wasn't given much help. Zeitler struggled early and Rod was beat early and often. Duke's pass blocking left a lot to be desired, not sure how much the dinged up wing from the stiff arm played into it.

It's hard to get a feel for how the receivers are doing from the broadcast view. Can't really tell what concepts they are running, or if anyone is getting open that the QB isn't seeing.

The run D overall looked pretty good. Still need to clean up the fits a bit. Schobert was flying around, but he could do a better job of wrapping and he might want to spend some time with the JUGS machine.

Was surprised to see Des Bryant playing in the 4th quarter. Is he on the trade block?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Was surprised to see Des Bryant playing in the 4th quarter. Is he on the trade block?

Almost certainly, though I don't see us getting much for him.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Forgot about Haden. He seems to be getting targeted by the QBs pretty consistently ... he looks bad to me.

Also, Britt may have been a mistake signing. Nothing about his play or persona indicates that he'll be a difference maker

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Leaves me wondering if next years draft will be spent totally on offense. With our picks, a few key players could possibly make this D one for the records. The 18 draft is going to be crucial for the final push to a possible return to glory.

I don't think after the 18 season we'll be in the top ten anymore. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 08/22/17 04:56 AM.
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
I want your optimism!

Earth is the biggest planet in the world.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Brownie_Dawg
I want your optimism!

Trust me. I have to dig pretty deep to get any!

A ways to go but I think we're teetering on legitimacy. Hue hiring an OC would be a great step.

B
Rookie
Rookie
B
I remember having that feeling in '07. It really seemed like we were on the up and up.

The pain of being a Browns fan is worse than getting an iffy result from a colonoscopy.

Last edited by Brownie_Dawg; 08/22/17 05:24 AM.

Earth is the biggest planet in the world.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Watching the replay right now, I'm concerned that our front 4 STILl isn't getting enough consistent pressure. I mean, Ogbah really hasn't done anything. I didn't even notice him playing. With the investment in the DE's, we should be able to just send 4 and still get there occasionally

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Defense is fun to watch. Putrid offense put up 10 lousy points but we won. Sure, it's a meaningless preseason game, but we won.

Still issues running the ball. Duke is not Crow as a runner. He is not a 3 down back, IMO. Or maybe we do not have 3 down offensive linemen.

Worst case scenario is starting to come together. Even though he is not ready, Kizer is the emerging as the best QB. Starting job is there for Brock to take, but the accuracy was poor yesterday. I still give him the nod in order to give Kizer more time.

Kessler - I am done with him. Gutless. That botched handoff had more velocity than any of his throws. Interesting to hear Gruden be done w a QB. Maybe Mary Kay is next.

Punter looked better.

Peppers with some nice returns.

We are still able to nullify a few good plays a game with penalties.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Positives:

+Schobert was all over the field. Played fast.

+Peppers looks good in return game.

+Collins made a few nice plays.

+Defense is faster.

+Taylor looked good.

Negatives:

=Zeitler had a bad game. And I am not just talking about the penalties.

-Haden is slow.

-Duke is not an every down back.

-DL w/no rush.

-The LT was bad. So was the RT.

Concerns:

*Team took a knee after Hue asked them not to. Lack of respect for coach.

*Brock was inaccurate.

*Kizer holds the ball too long.

*Kirksey was out of position a few times.

*Myles couldn't beat one on one blocking. The sack was on G. Smith. He left the pocket.

*Too many penalties.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I watched a good, solid defense beating the opposing offense, and heard about how badly the Giants offense was playing.

No respect.

When we do it consistently and actually do it against a decent offense, the respect will grow.

We haven't earned ANYTHING, yet.

This defense is going to be entertaining as long as they can avoid the injury bug and bring this intensity through Week 17. It's a long season.

The offense is going to be frustrating to watch; perhaps downright maddening.

We don't have any WR's that show up.

DL gets amazingly little penetration for an attack D that isn't constantly doing the 2-gap "Read-&-React" thing.

Our 2nd string is better than the Giants 2nd string.

Kizer is better than Osweiller, already.... but, he still isn't ready.

You could tell our OL was missing important pieces.

We need receiving targets that know how to run routes and be open in their window.

I expect a slow and bumpy start to the season that picks up steam as these kids grow as a team during the late autumn and early winter. You could see a little bit of it in their faces last night - they're buying in fully, especially on defense. We'll get blown out once or twice, and we'll probably steal a couple of games with defense... I'm expecting some tough lessons for the youngsters in the first few weeks.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Pretty much echo what most said, but a few things for me

JT should have played, not sure how you evaluate your QB missing your best lineman and replace him with probably your worst. Love JT and all, but sorry, he needs reps as well, against a defense like NYG would have been a good time to get them.

We need to find our Greg Williams for offense, I despise Hue as a playcaller, and it wasn't even execution, it was plain bad playcalling.

I'm listening for any and all trade offers for Haden

Duke isn't an 3 down back, he's a 3rd down back. He provides as much resistance as a blocker as a Erving shaped traffic cone. Move him to slot full time and just use Crow/Daye.

I really want Brock to win the job, but man he's not doing himself any favors, Kizer needs to sit, but if they want butts in the stands, they are going to have to either play him, or trade for a bridge QB. We don't have anyone that even looks salvageable other than Kizer, and he has his own issues.

Our defense you can tell is well coached, the offense you can tell are not...

Looks like Gonzo is going to be the kicker, rightfully so, you don't draft a kicker if you don't intend to keep him, and we drafted the best one in FCS.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
and it wasn't even execution, it was plain bad playcalling

It's preseason.
The play calling is as much about getting film on various personnel in different formations and situations as anything else. Don't read too much into it.

However, speaking of Hue and his offense - I really dislike all the goofy formation shifts he constantly does. Yeah, I suppose it forces the D to show their hand a bit, but it constantly feels gimmicky and like a Delay of Game penalty waiting to happen.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend

Gotta get them the ball... Our QB's didn't do a great job of that.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Did the WR's get any consistent separation tonight?

Cause if preaseaon is any indication, looks like we need to draft one or two in the first round next year.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
Did the WR's get any consistent separation tonight?

Cause if preaseaon is any indication, looks like we need to draft one or two in the first round next year.

I'm betting that we sign another next offseason and draft two high in 2018 -- we don't have anything on the roster that would make it on most other teams.

Browns is the Browns

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 10 Giants 6 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard