Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Report: Hue Jackson 'irate' after Joe Haden release

The release of veteran cornerback Joe Haden was curious to many, including head coach Hue Jackson apparently.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora explained that Jackson was 'irate' when the team made the decision to release Haden and he was unaware that the veteran was on the trade block. The move 'was met by near unanimous disapproval in the locker room and with the football staff.'

Cleveland reportedly offered the cornerback a pay cut in order to stay - the same figure that he received with the Pittsburgh Steelers - but he declined.

Haden, and linebacker Demario Davis, who was traded to the New York Jets, were viewed as 'vital cogs' in the Browns defense this season.

The divide between the front office and Jackson has 'intensified' with recent moves according to the report.

"The constant struggle between coaching and the front office has taken a toll on Jackson, following a one-win season, and recent events have intensified the rifts, with the coach's hands tied in personnel matters."

From an asset perspective, the trade for quarterback Brock Osweiler made sense. However, he was 'a cancer' in the locker room and did nothing 'to endear himself to teammates and brought little to the quarterback room where the Browns are trying to develop three young passers, including rookie starter DeShone Kizer.'

It's interesting that Haden and Davis were viewed as important to Gregg Williams' defense considering neither graded well last season.

The Browns open the season Sunday against the Steelers and Haden.

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Hue-Jackson-irate-after-Joe-Haden-release-107224178

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The FO needs to learn that not everything is about numbers.

While analytics is a great tool, it doesn't take into account one of, if not the most important aspects of football: team chemistry and trust amongst teammates.

So **IF* the reports are true, I think it's disappointing that the FO didn't even let Hue know about their plans, nevermind consulting with him with regards to releasing or keeping players like Davis and Haden.

I know that at the end of the day, it's on Hue to get these guys ready on Sunday, but I mean damn; if the FO keeps getting rid of veteran players for young inexperienced guys, then what can we really expect from this team on sundays?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Says tank to me Pitt !

What's it say to the rest of you ?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just find this story hard to believe based on the fact that when this front office and Hue were put together it was stated that everyone would have their input, Sashi would just have final say. You can't tell me that with as much as Sashi and Hue speak to each other that Haden and his possible trade our release wasn't discussed, and as for Davis, I commented in another thread that he didn't fit the type of LB that DC Gregg Williams uses.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: dawg66
I just find this story hard to believe based on the fact that when this front office and Hue were put together it was stated that everyone would have their input, Sashi would just have final say. You can't tell me that with as much as Sashi and Hue speak to each other that Haden and his possible trade our release wasn't discussed, and as for Davis, I commented in another thread that he didn't fit the type of LB that DC Gregg Williams uses.

It's some unknown writer quoting La Cornholio

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
"I trust (Executive Vice President) Sashi (Brown) and his group to make the right decisions that I think is best for our football team," Jackson said before Haden was released. "Do I want Joe Haden on our football team? Yes, but whatever our organization thinks is best for our football team, that's what we'll do.''

That quote right there tells me Hue knew what was happening.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cleveland.com quoting La Cornholio

All Pro
All Pro
My TV is so wide I am watching guys look for spots in the parking lot =)

HACK

[Linked Image]
R
Legend
Legend
R
Mine is so wide I was not only watching the game but I could see my cousins house in Strongsville.

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

The release of veteran cornerback Joe Haden was curious to many, including head coach Hue Jackson apparently.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora explained that Jackson was 'irate' when the team made the decision to release Haden and he was unaware that the veteran was on the trade block. The move 'was met by near unanimous disapproval in the locker room and with the football staff.'

Cleveland reportedly offered the cornerback a pay cut in order to stay - the same figure that he received with the Pittsburgh Steelers - but he declined.

Haden, and linebacker Demario Davis, who was traded to the New York Jets, were viewed as 'vital cogs' in the Browns defense this season.

The divide between the front office and Jackson has 'intensified' with recent moves according to the report.

"The constant struggle between coaching and the front office has taken a toll on Jackson, following a one-win season, and recent events have intensified the rifts, with the coach's hands tied in personnel matters."

From an asset perspective, the trade for quarterback Brock Osweiler made sense. However, he was 'a cancer' in the locker room and did nothing 'to endear himself to teammates and brought little to the quarterback room where the Browns are trying to develop three young passers, including rookie starter DeShone Kizer.'

It's interesting that Haden and Davis were viewed as important to Gregg Williams' defense considering neither graded well last season.

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Hue-Jackson-irate-after-Joe-Haden-release-107224178

Yup,

it was obvious Hue was pissed about it, and it seems even Greg Williams had big plans for Haden as part of his D. Furthermore, Jackson doesn't even know that the FO is shopping him for a trade?

Another rift in the FO in the making.

hopefully Haslam is smart enough to side with Jackson(who is the right coach for us) and fire Sashi and Depodesta out of the Front Office, and hire a personnel guy with experience that will work "with" Hue not against him.

Hue should also have significant input into player personnel decisions. Whats going on now is a joke.

Sashi and Depodesta need to go sooner rather then later, and Hue needs to stay with an extension and get us a viable NFL talent elevator in the to be our GM.

Last edited by Knight_Of_Brown; 09/10/17 05:09 PM.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
j/c

Yup,

it was obvious Hue was pissed about it, and it seems even Greg Williams had big plans for Haden as part of his D. Furthermore, Jackson doesn't even know that the FO is shopping him for a trade?

hopefully Haslam is smart enough to side with Jackson(who is the right coach for us) and fire Sashi and Depodesta out of the Front Office, and hire a personnel guy with experience that will work "with" Hue not against him.

Hue should also have significant input into player personnel decisions. Whats going on now is a joke.

Sashi and Depodesta need to go sooner rather then later, and Hue needs to stay with an extension and get us a viable NFL talent elevator in the to be our GM.

This post is ridiculous

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Originally Posted By: Knight_Of_Brown
j/c

Yup,

This post is ridiculous

Sorry, I don't like mr "Business Lawyer" and "Mr Moneyball baseball guy" I think they are both twits and hurting Jackson's chances. Its pretty obvious Jackson and Williams wanted to keep Haden because he was the best corner on the roster, but that 11 million was just so important to a team 60 million+ under the cap...

A
Legend
Legend
A
And you know what? Minus a blocked punt (Mr. Business Lawyer and Mr. Moneyball baseball guy didn't have a damn thing to do with it), the Browns would've won. Right?

R
Legend
Legend
R
Didn't the team looked improved today?

I thought you posted that in the game day chat and post game threads.

The Lawyer and Mr. Moneyball are partly responsible for that.

Are you arguing the Browns would be even more improved if they had others in charge?

K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Are you arguing the Browns would be even more improved if they had others in charge?

In some ways, yes

Sure they were improved today,but I question some of their moves..like not tagging Pryor, letting Schwartz leave in FA, cutting Joe Haden....those are some big mistakes and they have set us back quite a bit.

im just not sold on the Harvard boys yet, but im def on board with Jackson and Williams.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yes they were mistakes imo as well. But they also drafted Garrett, Peppers, Kizer, Coleman., revamped the OL and D......lot of good to go with the bad.

Way too early to tell one way or another, but I’ve seen nothing that deserves the hate these guys get by some people (or the love by others).

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Haden is a Steeler nough said!!!

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
All Pro
All Pro
"Haden had six tackles, one of the Steelers’ seven sacks — his first since 2011 — and a pass breakup on tight end Seth DeValve. The Browns tested their former teammate. DeShone Kizer completed passes of 19 and 13 yards against Haden, with another of 29 yards in front of Haden in zone coverage. Two other attempts were incomplete."

One mans garbage is another mans treasure.... Over here I read he didn't look good...meanwhile the Steelers thought he did great after only being with them a week, and gave Haden the game ball

HACK

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
That's because people get a kick out of trashing Haden on this board.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Hmmmm........I thought we lost? Are the Lawyer and Mr. Moneyball not responsible for that?

Good God, some of you are beyond ridiculous. On both sides.

Have a good night, y'all.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Hmmmm........I thought we lost? Are the Lawyer and Mr. Moneyball not responsible for that?

They lost due to a special teams blunder, not the lawyer or moneyball

Last edited by Steubenvillian; 09/10/17 08:54 PM.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Joe had a couple of bad plays but overall didn't look horrible.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

Hold up there Dep we have to ask Rish he has that there wider screen hell man he can see folks fishing by the lake with that wider screen... Well Rish did Joe play bad today?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

Hold up there Dep we have to ask Rish he has that there wider screen hell man he can see folks fishing by the lake with that wider screen... Well Rish did Joe play bad today?

Don't blame him. You blocked his screen with that giant TANK.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I think Deputy was spot on.

I think an experienced QB would have burned Joe a couple of times for big plays. He could have easily been a low point for the Steelers. Not sure about the whole game ball thing, but hey that's their decision.

I don't believe not having Joe made the difference between a win and a loss for the Browns. Brown had a big day, but he's had big days with Joe guarding him as well. Brown made some difficult catches.

I'll tell you this though. My TV did pick up Joe leaving the stadium in his Ferrari. That thing is pretty sweet.

What do you think? Do you think with Joe the Browns win?

R
Legend
Legend
R
My favorite quotes of the JLC article.

Quote:
'irate'

Quote:
near unanimous disapproval

Quote:
'vital cogs'

Quote:
The divide between the front office and Jackson

Quote:
'intensified'

Quote:
"The constant struggle

Quote:
intensified the rifts

Quote:
'a cancer'

Nothing is ever as sensational as these quotes indicate.

I know this article makes a lot of people happy, but damn, if any of this is true, that's the absolute worst thing that can happen to this team. I don't think anyone should be wishing for this to happen.

For what it's worth, Jackson refuted this after the game. There's probably some good soldier going on there, but I would bet anything whatever disagreement that existed was nowhere near as sensational as JLC wants everyone to believe. Half the time he's trolling this fan base.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

What time did you start drinking today?

Btw, I agree with you. The FO and the coaching staff are responsible for the product on the field. I think they are both responsible for the loss and also for the improvement between last year and this year.

Legend
Legend
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...ncart_big-photo

HMMMMM Looks like maybe somebody jumped the gun Cough *Jason* cough

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
For what it's worth, Jackson refuted this after the game. There's probably some good soldier going on there, but I would bet anything whatever disagreement that existed was nowhere near as sensational as JLC wants everyone to believe. Half the time he's trolling this fan base.

Hue Jackson has been doing his part, covering for the front office whenever the media begins to question some of the Browns personnel moves.

Some might still believe that Hue preferred Kessler over Dak Prescott...based on Hue stepping up taking responsibility for the pick. Kessler is a member of the Browns based on "analytics".

Hue prefers QBs who are big, mobile and a strong arm with the ability to throw deep....is Kessler that type of QB?

Jackson is doing allot to make the front office look good,
playing his part, providing cover for the MONEYBALLERS.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

Hue Jackson has been doing his part, covering for the front office whenever the media begins to question some of the Browns personnel moves.

Some might still believe that Hue preferred Kessler over Dak Prescott...based on Hue stepping up taking responsibility for the pick. Kessler is a member of the Browns based on "analytics".

Hue prefers QBs who are big, mobile and a strong arm with the ability to throw deep....is Kessler that type of QB?

Could be, but that is a part of his job. What kind of coach would he be if he told everyone otherwise?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...ncart_big-photo

HMMMMM Looks like maybe somebody jumped the gun Cough *Jason* cough

I think what La Canfora is probably true, but could also be written about many other teams during the cutdown period.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

Could be, but that is a part of his job. What kind of coach would he be if he told everyone otherwise?

Please don't quote Mac. Especially when he strays out of his thread.

I have him blocked and it doesn't work if everyone quotes him.

Just let him continue to muck-rake and ignore him.

Eventually he'll go away.

I hope.

P
Legend
Legend
P
mac was here long before you and will be around for a long time. You may not like that, but it's true. Not everybody is going to follow your instructions. The only board police we have here are the refs.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Notice I used the word please.

The black plague was here long before I was as well.

Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Legend
Legend
Mac's not going anywhere, and there's no vaccine (maccine?).

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Don't get me wrong, mac annoys me with his witch hunt sometimes as well. He makes some good points at times but it's hard to hear them with all the other static.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Joe Haden proved yesterday that he would be our 4th CB..#4 CBs don't make 11 million a year.

We should have thrown at him twice as much as we did.

Game ball? That's just Tomlin being a jerk. Haden never led us to victory on an opening day and he didn't do so yesterday either.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Haden: Why the Steelers and Why He Was Released

Link Copied to Clipboard