Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Legend
Legend
V
They already did that and the fans and media ran the guy out of town.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
They already did that and the fans and media ran the guy out of town.

I assume you mean Tom Heckert (?). If so, he never had the autonomy I think a GM needs to put his imprint on a team. He worked under Holmgren who, we were told, ordered the drafting of Colt McCoy, and later, Brandon Weeden. Who knows how many other picks Holmgren ordered? Heckert also never got to choose his own man at coach, which I think is one of the most crucial decisions a GM makes. If I was a top PP guy talking to Jimmy and he said "You have to keep the current coach.", I would say "Not interested. Thanks and goodbye.".

Legend
Legend
Manning could be interesting. I could see it working if we get a QB. Not sure I want Hue to pick the next one. But, some of what matters might be helpful from PM. Some folks currently in the loop must be removed from the process for the product to improve. IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
No, I meant Banner. He had a lot of sustained success in Philly. They won double digit games almost every year. He came here and the fans and media immediately hated him. He never got a fair chance to see if he could turn this franchise around.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I always thought Banner was more of a finance guy with the Eagles, and that Andy Reid was in charge on the football side. Why would Banner bring Mike Lombardi in to be GM if he was NFL-grade football-savvy?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Banner ended up losing a power struggle to Andy.

And I get you didn't like Banner. LOL....that was kind of my point. We had a guy who had the qualities you spoke of the vast majority of people hated him from the get-go.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

And I get you didn't like Banner. LOL....that was kind of my point. We had a guy who had the qualities you spoke of the vast majority of people hated him from the get-go.

Who said anything about not liking Banner? My original post was about finding somebody to identify and acquire football talent for the Browns, and you replied with a "been-there-done-that" post about Banner, who was never a football guy. If Joe Banner would have brought in someone other than Mike Lombardi, someone capable, he could still be here.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL....never mind.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hey, I am as much a Peyton fan as anyone

but as smart as a guy as he is, he has zero experience in any type of administrative or front office role. and he does know the game on the field, but not necessarily off the field and would pretty much be a high profile, feel good hire

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: kingodawg
Hey, I am as much a Peyton fan as anyone

but as smart as a guy as he is, he has zero experience in any type of administrative or front office role. and he does know the game on the field, but not necessarily off the field and would pretty much be a high profile, feel good hire

But he did read, “The Art of the Deal”.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

I for one would welcome Peyton.

My expectations when we hired Holmgren were great. Sad that it turned out the way it did.

However, this is entirely different. Holmgren was the end of his career and trying to be a GM after being a successful head coach.

Peyton would be starting a new career.

Peyton has the intelligence, passion, work ethic and overall knowledge of the league.

He brings instant credibility. He also knows talent.

I have no insight on this process be it true or not. But Peyton seems like the type that just can not stay away from the game. Also he knows that hard work, preparation, and attention to detail brings results.

There is no doubt that Sashi has good intentions. That he believes in his process, and that he works hard. His plan may work. But to date it has not. Given the state of the team when he took over and what his group has done. Who knows it may have been the correct course of action.

But if Haslam has a chance to hire Peyton Manning then in my opinion he should do it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not sure that Holmgren was here than anything more than that last big cash grab. He had his day in the sun. Manning has yet to make a name as an exec. (If he even desires that) If he indeed was wanting to join this organization I'd give him the chance we're I Haslam. Then again, if I were Haslam and this hapless I'd sell the team...

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think Denver hired Elway the same year [or very close] that we hired The Big Show. I remember some of our fans on the official board mocking Denver and talking about our great hire.

I think that Manning is smart. I think he is very driven. I think he would demand accountability from everyone. I think he would work harder than anyone.

I don't know if he would be good or not at evaluating talent, but I do think he has many desirable attributes.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I agree with all of that.

Bring on Manning, please.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I agree with all of that.

Bring on Manning, please.

I'm not sure anyone with potential would want to waste their career here as part of the Browns. It's a guaranteed "can't get right" ordeal.

Legend
Legend
I think Denver hired Elway the same year [or very close] that we hired The Big Show. I remember some of our fans on the official board mocking Denver and talking about our great hire.

I think that Manning is smart. I think he is very driven. I think he would demand accountability from everyone. I think he would work harder than anyone.

I don't know if he would be good or not at evaluating talent, but I do think he has many desirable attributes.

Well we have tried everything else and everything else has failed. We have tried hiring the big name in Holmgren, the understudy to other successful teams, and the moneyball guy, etc. I mean we did hire a former great player once as opposed to a career Front Office guy... and that was Ozzie Newsome... so you could say, even though it was another team that got to reap the rewards of it... that was our one hire that would have been successful.

yebat' Putin
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Nothing against Peyton Manning but maybe we should try to find a GM / Football Operations guy with actual front office experience? Identify the teams with continued success in finding talent - its not hard.
How did that work out with the last 12 regimes?

J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Why would he want any part of this mess, unless he has total control, a piece of the team and a blank check

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I think many good men of different specializations might jump to work for him too. He'd make a great face of the franchise for sure.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I'd take Manning joining the Browns for the same reasons we all wanted Holmgren. Only difference is, Manning would arrive to work on time, and actually gives a damn about what his work looks like.

The credibility factor would be huge, because we're probably going to fire another regime again, and right now, the word around the league is that this is a doomed destination where you get two years to clean a mess that probably takes closer to 3-4 years.

Legend
Legend
Dave Chudowsky‏Verified account @DaveChudowsky

@WKYCSports has learned Peyton Manning was in Cleveland last week @wkyc

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Was there a Papa John's franchisee convention or something?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Was there a Papa John's franchisee convention or something?
musta been in strongsville

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
In a theoretical world in which Peyton Manning is hired to run the Browns, what is his first move once the season is over? Fire everyone? Hire David Cutcliffe as our head coach? Trade all of our first round picks for Eli?

Legend
Legend
I can't imagine the fortune it would cost to have him come to this dumpster fire.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
You have the right to make fun of Manning being in charge, but I think the guy has exactly what it takes to be successful.

I'd rather he do it here than somewhere else.

Legend
Legend
You have the right to make fun of Manning being in charge, but I think the guy has exactly what it takes to be successful.

The real question is where would he rather do it, if he’d rather do it at all.

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I know.

The only thing we have in our favor is that the Haslams and Mannings are long-time family friends.

Legend
Legend
I know.

The only thing we have in our favor is that the Haslams and Mannings are long-time family friends.

I can’t speak for anyone else but I seriously doubt I’m going to risk my professional reputation on a friends failing corporation.

#GMSTRONG
R
Legend
Legend
R
All i have to say is please get Manning here. Please.

I don't trust these guys to handle the draft next year.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

I can’t speak for anyone else but I seriously doubt I’m going to risk my professional reputation on a friends failing corporation.

Exactly.

I would embrace Manning overseeing all football ops in a role like John Elway, but I think it is a fantastic pipe dream.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
I know.

You never know what motivates some people.. he went to Tennessee and while they were pretty good, he brought them a lot of recognition.. went to the 3-13 colts and made them a perennial contender and super bowl champion.. went to Denver who was coming out of a period of being not very good (even though Tebow did squeek out a playoff win against the Steelers in an 8-8 season) and instantly made them a 13 win team and super bowl champion...

Maybe he values the challenge...

Think about it, if he turned us into just a 9-7 team in a couple years, he could be a hero in about 5 states.

yebat' Putin
C
Legend
Legend
C

I am not making fun of anyone. I would love to have Manning.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: jfanent
I can't imagine the fortune it would cost to have him come to this dumpster fire.

Haslam does have a lot of money to blow, more now than he did a year ago. I don't want a new FO, but if we get one, I'd love for it to be ran by Peyton. If nothing else, it would be eventful.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I say the guy loves a challenge and you know he has an ego. The man who rights this ship becomes one of the greatest execs of ALL time instantly!

We don't know if it's for real but it would bring some positive spin and maybe our best shot at escaping a twenty year crap fest.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Maybe he values the challenge...

Think about it, if he turned us into just a 9-7 team in a couple years, he could be a hero in about 5 states.

The wunderkind, he was great on SNL, sells lots of pizza and insurance, (yes-he-sells-a-lot-of-stuff). But working for the Browns has ruined more careers than involuntary flatulence.

The football gods allowed him to retire with a walk-off super bowl win. Who messes with fate like that?

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/you that the Browns are a tough gig. That is why I think we need someone almost bigger than life....like Peyton.

During the last regime change.........I was advocating we bring in Nick Saban and give him whatever he wanted. I'm not saying I am right, but it's almost like you need to be bigger than life to have a chance of succeeding here.

1st String
1st String
I'd love to have Manning here.He should have good insight on a big portion of the young/college QBs since a lot of them participate in the Manning QB/passing academy

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Haslam does have a lot of money to blow, more now than he did a year ago. I don't want a new FO, but if we get one, I'd love for it to be ran by Peyton. If nothing else, it would be eventful.

You don't necessarily have to have a whole new FO.. you just insert Manning over top of Sashi and Manning gets final say on all football decisions.

Now the reality of that is probably that Sashi quits and takes a couple of his handpicked staff with him.. but then the decision to make all of those changes wasn't Haslam's it was Sashi's..

yebat' Putin
V
Legend
Legend
V
Sahi would never get another job that involved personnel decisions. He should stick to the business side of football.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Report: Peyton Manning Could Return to NFL as GM of Browns, Rams or Titans

Link Copied to Clipboard