Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Report: Peyton Manning Could Return to NFL as GM of Browns, Rams or Titans

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27375...-rams-or-titans

Peyton Manning is reportedly considering a return to the NFL as a general manager as soon as next season, according to Jay Glazer of Fox Sports (h/t Mike Jurecki of 98.7 FM The Blitz).

Glazer noted in his report that the Cleveland Browns, Tennessee Titans and Los Angeles Rams were potential destinations for Manning.

Jurecki also tweeted, "Its possible some of teams interested in Manning could offer him a small percentage of ownership."

The news comes on the same day that the Indianapolis Colts—where Manning spent the majority of his career and won one of his two Super Bowl titles—unveiled a statue honoring Manning outside of Lucas Oil Stadium.

Manning will also have his No. 18 jersey retired at halftime of Sunday's contest between the Colts and San Francisco 49ers. He spoke with former teammate and NFL Network analyst Marshall Faulk about both honors on Sunday morning:

Manning was one of the NFL's most cerebral and meticulous quarterbacks in NFL history, operating almost as an offensive coordinator on the field for the Colts and Denver Broncos. That led to speculation and rumors upon his retirement that he would take a role in an NFL front office, though until this point Manning has remained away from the game in any official capacity.

His absence from the NFL could reportedly come to a close as soon as next year, however.

C
Legend
Legend
C
The Rams and Titans don't make much sense unless they are blowing it up.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Isn't there a Haslam/Manning connection? I guess if you throw enough money at someone they might consider it.

Not really worth investing too much thought in it now though...

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Isn't there a Haslam/Manning connection? I guess if you throw enough money at someone they might consider it.

The Haslam/Manning connection is just that Manning went to Tennessee and the Haslam's names are all over that place.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, UT.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually Tenn. makes perfect sense. He played for Tenn. in college and he's almost considered a God here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I don't see us bailing on sashi and co. by next year. Jimmy has preached continuity ever sine letting petting and farmer go. he would look even more foolish than he does now. But who knows, he seems to want to only sell tickets and manning will do that.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Above being a sports franchise, it's a corporation. Actually 32 corporations ran by billionaires. Anyone who doesn't believe the money comes before everything else is only fooling themselves.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Above being a sports franchise, it's a corporation. Actually 32 corporations ran by billionaires. Anyone who doesn't believe the money comes before everything else is only fooling themselves.
Agree, a plus side would be Manning realizes that until you have a QB, you are not doing anything in the NFL. If he could finally bring that to us, I think he would be legend. How knows, he could be a two time hall of famer (player and GM)

P
Legend
Legend
P
While what you say may be true, let's look at the flip side of that.

If you're Peyton Manning, with multiple opportunities, why would you choose the worst possible scenario to walk into? Both the Rams and Tenn. are much further along on the road to success. As a businessman I don't believe walking into what at least appears as the worst possible case scenario would be a smart move given better options.

Is it possible he would want to play the savior? It's possible. I just don't believe it's likely that he would be willing to take a huge risk at soiling his legacy.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
While what you say may be true, let's look at the flip side of that.

If you're Peyton Manning, with multiple opportunities, why would you choose the worst possible scenario to walk into? Both the Rams and Tenn. are much further along on the road to success. As a businessman I don't believe walking into what at least appears as the worst possible case scenario would be a smart move given better options.

Is it possible he would want to play the savior? It's possible. I just don't believe it's likely that he would be willing to take a huge risk at soiling his legacy.
I understand that, but when you really look at it, why would the Rams and Titans part ways with current FO? The rams seem to be on up the and up. The titans would be his ideal spot, but don't count out jimmy and dee giving him an ownership deal. IDK if Tenn does that.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I would expect the Titans, who looked to be in line to win a division at the start of the season, to tear everything apart after they fail to make the playoffs. We'll see how they do against the Colts this week and hopefully the Browns beat them in 2 weeks... Mularkey won't be the HC after this season unless they make the playoffs.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I wonder if Manning has the attributes of a successful GM.

If he does, he'll need and want the authority to carry out his charge. (being a good GM)

Quote:
"Its possible some of teams interested in Manning could offer him a small percentage of ownership."

Sure, but the value of owning an NFL team right now is in a downward spiral.

In "today's dollars" - I'm sure we've already seen the highest price ever paid for an NFL franchise.

Of course given inflation, one may sell for $100 Billion dollars in 50 years.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Can't wait for "Bill Cowher buys house in Strongsville" silly season to start.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

The Haslam/Manning connection is just that Manning went to Tennessee and the Haslam's names are all over that place.

Sure that's how the families got to know each other, but, the Haslam Family and Manning ties run a bit deeper than that. However, the notion that Manning is going to come to Cleveland to fix the Browns is comical.

I'm not implying you believe there is a chance Manning would come here, just a general comment.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

That's the only question that really matters. FA's aren't going to flock here for reduced salaries just because he's the GM... Does he have what it takes to build a solid staff under him? Evaluate coaches? Evaluate talent at ALL positions? Manage the salary cap? Hire cheerleaders? I mean, there is a lot of work that goes into being a GM that has NOTHING to do with being an outstanding QB...

I will add, I guess the one thing you can rest easy on is that the guy has an unending work ethic.. that is the one thing I would feel very comfortable about, the dude is going to put in the work.. whether it's successful or not is the question.

Last edited by DCDAWGFAN; 10/10/17 05:23 PM.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

That's the only question that really matters. FA's aren't going to flock here for reduced salaries just because he's the GM... Does he have what it takes to build a solid staff under him? Evaluate coaches? Evaluate talent at ALL positions? Manage the salary cap? Hire cheerleaders? I mean, there is a lot of work that goes into being a GM that has NOTHING to do with being an outstanding QB...

I will add, I guess the one thing you can rest easy on is that the guy has an unending work ethic.. that is the one thing I would feel very comfortable about, the dude is going to put in the work.. whether it's successful or not is the question.

at least when it comes to evaluating talent, i certainly trust his judgement over Sashi's

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:
at least when it comes to evaluating talent, i certainly trust his judgement over Sashi's

I probably would too.. but the best players don't always make the best coaches or the best talent evaluators.. I guess it comes down to him hiring (or retaining) the right scouts and then listening to them...

yebat' Putin
V
Legend
Legend
V
I trust him more than I do Sashi when it comes to talent evaluation and when or to when not cut a player.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Man, I don't know how I feel about "people who haven't ever been in the position and have no experience there" situations any longer. So many people coming and going, busting, being a 5th rounder selected in the first round, not meeting expectations, hurt all the time and fragile is heated glass and all those attributes you/we/I judge rookies on here - it's not even a matter I can even crack a joke about anymore.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I trust him more than I do Sashi when it comes to talent evaluation and when or to when not cut a player.

Manning would bring instant credibility to the team. He would also want to bring in all of his own people (and he probably has a bunch of his own people). That means a full on blow up. I don't know if I can deal with a full on blow up again.

Legend
Legend
Manning would bring instant credibility to the team.

People said the same thing about Holmgren, and that was an unmitigated disaster.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

People said the same thing about Holmgren, and that was an unmitigated disaster.

I never said it would work.

Legend
Legend
If it is true that some teams get "breaks" in the NFL, we would turn into on of them ... they league would certainly want him to be in a successful spot ($$)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V

All of the above is true. On the other hand, it's pretty hard to say Sashi's plan is working and is not an unmitigated disaster.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Probably a good thing Sashi isn't our talent evaluator then, huh?

Legend
Legend
I bet he could really encourage our young guys

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
C
Legend
Legend
C

All of the above is true. On the other hand, it's pretty hard to say Sashi's plan is working and is not an unmitigated disaster.

I would say Sashi's plan is incomplete.

B
Legend
Legend
B

Of course there is, you know that. The Haslam family has donated millions....I mean ten's of millions to the UT program over the last 30 or so years..

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V

I would say Sashi's plan is incomplete.

Did you actually read what I wrote or were you just going all in on defending Sashi?

It's kind of odd that you question Hue quite a bit. Shouldn't his grade also be an "incomplete?"

For example.........you have twice brought up Hue's mistake in naming Kizer the starter and pretended that Sashi had no say in that. Yet, I have not seen you say that it was a mistake passing on Wentz.

LOL..........what was the bigger mistake, cfrs?

Legend
Legend
Anyone know if he or his agent have been shopping for houses in Sandusky??

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL

C
Legend
Legend
C
Did you actually read what I wrote or were you just going all in on defending Sashi?

You are trying way too hard.

It's kind of odd that you question Hue quite a bit. Shouldn't his grade also be an "incomplete?"

For example.........you have twice brought up Hue's mistake in naming Kizer the starter and pretended that Sashi had no say in that.

This is what I said:

Quote:
So has anyone affiliated with the team acknowledged that starting Kizer early was a mistake?

I later brought up Jackson because he is the one who answers questions from the press everyday. Hue's grade is definitely an incomplete also. As I've said several times, the plan should not change because of five games into the second season.

Yet, I have not seen you say that it was a mistake passing on Wentz.

LOL..........what was the bigger mistake, cfrs?

Hue Jackson wanted Jared Goff.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Wait! What?

How am I "trying too hard?"

And what am I trying too hard at?

Now, let's cut through the BS, cfrs:

Who is more responsible for the record of the Browns this year?

A. Hue

B. The FO

C. The Owner

D. The fans

C
Legend
Legend
C

A. Hue

B. The FO

C. The Owner

D. The fans

The correct answer is C.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ding! I'll buy that or e: all of the above.

Legend
Legend

A. Hue

B. The FO

C. The Owner

D. The fans

The correct answer is C.

I was ganna say "The Browns"

But it's more fun to point fingers and possibly be "right"

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
O
Legend
Legend
O
I could see Sashi moving to President role to bring Manning in. I would love to see him here. Great Football minds are far and few between, Manning is one.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm starting to move from "No way we can start over" to "How the heck can they allow this crew to go on".
The QB whiffs are major guffaws and very telling about this group. It's actually horrifying.

Nothing Jimmy does would surprise me. Heck, sell the damn team to Poppa John and Manning... please.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Nothing against Peyton Manning but maybe we should try to find a GM / Football Operations guy with actual front office experience? Identify the teams with continued success in finding talent - its not hard. Find the teams that, while they may not reach the conference finals every year, are consistently good, competitive teams. They never rebuild because they never suck. Those teams. Recognizing that you won't hire away their top guy, hire their top guy's second in command, the Director of Scouting or Player Personnel or whatever. The Haslams need to find that guy, then step off and let him do his job.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Report: Peyton Manning Could Return to NFL as GM of Browns, Rams or Titans

Link Copied to Clipboard