Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
devicedawg #1331798 10/12/17 01:13 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Kizer was the same crappy quarterback during the first 5 weeks of the season as he was during the preseason. I think they thought he would develop quicker than he has... I think hue figured he had the best physical tools of the quarterbacks and we weren't going to win a lot this year so he played kizer. However barely completing 50% of your passes and an 0-5 record have led hue to make the change.

I don't understand why everyone thought kizer was the best quarterback in the preseason. I'd actually say Hogan had the best preseason of all our quarterbacks.

with out Hogan we would have be 2-2 in the preseason. If I am remembering correctly, he came in and won the last two games for us.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
dawgpound101 #1331814 10/12/17 06:16 AM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I don't think Hogan was given much consideration at all in preseason. He was always the afterthought. It was always Kessler, or Osweiller, then Kizer. I think Hogan only got into any preseason games, late in the second half, because the coaching staff thought they would give him a chance to catch on somewhere else. After all, they had to get rid of somebody. Then Hogan came in and looked good.

The Dolphins supposedly wanted to trade for Osweiller, but the FO turned them down. Suddenly Hogan looks good in a preseason mop up role, better than the other 3 QBs combined, and they cut Osweiller.

Now our afterthought Quarterback is the starter. Good for him ...

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
cfrs15 #1331846 10/12/17 08:01 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
So has anyone affiliated with the team acknowledged that starting Kizer early was a mistake? Now he needs to sit and learn, but he didn't at the beginning of the season? What changed? Did they not evaluate him properly?

Actually I thought the idea was to see what we had prior to the draft...which we did get a good look.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1331856 10/12/17 08:47 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: eotab
So has anyone affiliated with the team acknowledged that starting Kizer early was a mistake? Now he needs to sit and learn, but he didn't at the beginning of the season? What changed? Did they not evaluate him properly?

Actually I thought the idea was to see what we had prior to the draft...which we did get a good look.

I suppose you may be right. Maybe the plan all along was to play Kizer to see what we have. If he succeeds, great, keep him in there and if he doesn't seem to do well it's back to the drawing board...

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Vers, I just think DK needs more time to learn the reads and what the D is doing out there. Will he turn into our long term QB, who knows, but he has the physical ability and seems to be a worker. As far as QB's in college that can learn in the pro's faster, that is how to make reads faster, I'd put my money on a guy from Stanford!!! thumbsup

Halfback32 #1331878 10/12/17 10:14 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
I don't think Hogan was given much consideration at all in preseason. He was always the afterthought. It was always Kessler, or Osweiller, then Kizer. I think Hogan only got into any preseason games, late in the second half, because the coaching staff thought they would give him a chance to catch on somewhere else. After all, they had to get rid of somebody. Then Hogan came in and looked good.

32...agree..it did not seem that Hogan was much of a consideration, but you have to give the guy credit, he kept fighting, making sure he was doing the work to be ready for his opportunities..last season..the 2017 pre-season and he took advantage of his opportunities in the games this season.

Studying draft boards last year after the Browns surprised most by taking Kessler in the 3rd round of the 2016 draft. Hogan appeared ahead of Kessler on every draft board I saw. I didn't think much about it until the Browns picked Hogan up after the Chiefs waived him in their last cut down.

Pep Hamilton, the Browns QB coach in 2016, was the QB coach at Stanford in 2012 and coached Hogan in his freshman year (2012). In the 9th game of the year, Hogan got to play and helped lead Stanford to a win..was named the starting QB and the Cardinals did not lose another game in 2012.

No doubt, Pep Hamilton vouched for Hogan, letting the front office know about his potential. Can Hogan pull off the same type of feat for the Browns...taking over the starting job and play well enough to secure the starting position...who knows?

..but I would not sell this kid short. He does seem to process the field quickly and deliver an accurate pass. His mechanics look good, so Hue can concentrate on teaching the playbook and game plan.

Hogan had a wonderlic score of 38 and doesn't seem to get overly excited...I just hope he can help the offense enough to give the team a chance to win.

BTW, Hogan has twice the experience as a NFL QB than Kizer has.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Halfback32 #1331879 10/12/17 10:18 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Halfback32

The Dolphins supposedly wanted to trade for Osweiller, but the FO turned them down. Suddenly Hogan looks good in a preseason mop up role, better than the other 3 QBs combined, and they cut Osweiller.

Going to have to agree.

The "trust me" QB has went from #1 to not even starting/dressing on gamedays.

The "we like him" qb that was once starting in preseason isn't even on the team anymore.

The "I have faith in" QB was given a job he wasn't prepared for and hasn't improved, resulted in getting benched.

The one QB no one, including fans or the staff, gave a chance to is our best bet for a win and our best QB.

... I mean, you can't make it up. Some serious bad visions and decisions going on here. What the Hell are we doing in this circus here???

Homewood Dog #1331889 10/12/17 10:37 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey Homes! I haven't given upon Kizer either. You are right that he has the physical gifts and seems to be a hard worker.

I worry about the reads. I think that you can certainly improve your pre-snap reads w/a lot of study and intelligence. I also think that post-snap reads of coverage is more of a processing skill and it isn't really related to intelligence. I think it is more of an innate thing.

DiamDawg #1331901 10/12/17 10:57 AM
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...15-c5fbba024af1

After watching Hue Jackson's press conference, I think he likes Deshone Kizer a lot more than Deshone being benched suggests. Who knows if it is just 'coach speak' when addressing the media regarding one of his players, but that just has a very authentic feel to it, in my opinion.

Just the little things. The tone of his voice, choice of words, inflections, his general demeanour, etc. It just sounds like he genuinely does think Deshone has a bright future as a Cleveland Brown.

Interesting.

Last edited by BDU; 10/12/17 10:58 AM.
BDU #1331903 10/12/17 10:59 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe he's giving him a "mental health" break. I also think he's hoping to stabilize the team by starting Hogan. Neither is a bad thing, or an indictment against Kizer.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
BDU #1331934 10/12/17 12:13 PM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Answer me this.
How did Kizer pass the analytics test and Wentz didnt with this front office ?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Answer me this.

We got a boatload of picks for Wentz (and our head coach wanted Goff) and Kizer was a lottery ticket taken in the middle of the second round.

cfrs15 #1331958 10/12/17 12:38 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Answer me this.

We got a boatload of picks for Wentz (and our head coach wanted Goff) and Kizer was a lottery ticket taken in the middle of the second round.

Bingo

cfrs15 #1331961 10/12/17 12:40 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Answer me this.

I think a better question is what are the analytics between Hogan and Kizer?

Legend
Legend

There are many ways to get the job done. Bernie is one of guys that proved that. There have been many others. Tarkenton was another.

When Wentz was going through the draft process I was crazy for the guy. He had what I was looking for. Not going to go through the whole analysis as to why. I said it all over this Board during that time.

The Browns went another direction and justified it with: We need many players and one will not do.

They made that decision before with Julio Jones. Neither decision has proved to be right.

At this point I am nowhere near giving up on Kizer. He was raw when drafted and nothing will change that in six months time.

At the same time the Browns must be very careful not to fall into the trap of believing in Kizer without real proof one way or another.

When this season is over I doubt that the quarterback question will have an answer.

The Browns hopefully will go into the off season with an open mind regarding the quarterback position.

D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Answer me this.

The analytics for the #2 pick are much different than the analytics for the #54 pick ... pretty much DIFFERENT WORLDS ...

WSU Willie #1332014 10/12/17 02:01 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Answer me this.

My guess is that the numbers (analytics is the use of numbers, not the data itself) loved Kizer's measurables. With that said, we didn't claim Hogan off of waivers and keep him for a whole season because didn't like him.

In reality, there is not a big enough sample to glean anything from either QB numbers wise.

Dawg_LB #1332016 10/12/17 02:02 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Originally Posted By: Halfback32

Going to have to agree.

The "trust me" QB has went from #1 to not even starting/dressing on gamedays.

The "we like him" qb that was once starting in preseason isn't even on the team anymore.

The "I have faith in" QB was given a job he wasn't prepared for and hasn't improved, resulted in getting benched.

The one QB no one, including fans or the staff, gave a chance to is our best bet for a win and our best QB.

... I mean, you can't make it up. Some serious bad visions and decisions going on here. What the Hell are we doing in this circus here???

Also, let's not forget that Hogan's game/mechanics were a hot mess last year. He's improved in that area, allowing him to think about executing the offense.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
cfrs15 #1332021 10/12/17 02:18 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Answer me this.

My guess is that the numbers (analytics is the use of numbers, not the data itself) loved Kizer's measurables. With that said, we didn't claim Hogan off of waivers and keep him for a whole season because didn't like him.

In reality, there is not a big enough sample to glean anything from either QB numbers wise.

No doubt the sample size is too small in regards to the NFL...but Hogan's college profile is very impressive...and he was a 5 year guy...starter for 3 1/2 years ish. Kizer had a very good year (after a red-shirt year) and an awful year.

I see Hogan's college experience and his actual play this year...and say...why not? Why can he not continue to develop?

He's "better" than Kizer at every single thing/measurable except for arm strength. I don't think being 1" taller and 15 pounds heavier means a lot when the "smaller" guy is 6'3" and 220 pounds with bigger hands.

Not debating you here...just talkin'.

Last edited by WSU Willie; 10/12/17 02:19 PM.
cfrs15 #1332044 10/12/17 03:07 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Has Jackson said why things are different for Kizer than they were at the start of the season?

Hue's feeling the heat to win? Desperate for a win?

From Hue's comments in the postgame press conference following loss to the Jets...

And as Jackson weighs the pros and cons on how to best handle Cleveland’s latest quarterbacking conundrum, he again said the losing is taking its toll.

“Hell, my confidence is shaken,” Jackson said when asked if Kizer could be rattled by being pulled Sunday for Hogan. “We haven’t won a game. I am, what, 1-30? I don’t know what it is. My confidence is shaken, too, but I am going to walk in here every day and in this building every day with the mindset to get better and to get this organization and this football team to winning.

Link

From his press conference yesterday.....

On expecting Kizer to start again this year:

“Oh, I sure would hope so. Again, I think people think that I am doing this because I am maybe disappointed in certain things. I knew that this potentially could happen. I think I said that, but also, I think what you guys continue to write on because I said ‘I would ride with him through it’ – and I have – but also, I have to ride this football team. It is not just about one guy. It is about the team. At the end of the day, I have to do what I think is best to give our team the best opportunity to win. That is what this is all about. Nothing more, nothing less.”

On the determining factor in naming QB Kevin Hogan the starter this week:

“I just think it was the best chance to give our offense a chance to stay in rhythm and play consistently over four quarters. See if Kevin can do it. Obviously, he has done that in games. We have moved the ball. We have done some good things there. I just want to see if I can see him do that for a whole game. See where it goes.”

Hue Press Conference 10/11

DiamDawg #1332080 10/12/17 05:13 PM
Legend
Legend
So are we still not giving hue credit for developing hogan?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
WSU Willie #1332094 10/12/17 05:46 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Here are Hogan's combine comparisons:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/kevin-hogan

Milk Man #1332097 10/12/17 05:49 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

“Oh, I sure would hope so."

Doesn't this undermine Hogan? It probably doesn't matter but Jackson should have probably said something like, "We'll see how Kevin Hogan plays and go from there."

cfrs15 #1332109 10/12/17 06:19 PM
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S

Doesn't this undermine Hogan? It probably doesn't matter but Jackson should have probably said something like, "We'll see how Kevin Hogan plays and go from there."

Quote:
See if Kevin can do it. Obviously, he has done that in games. We have moved the ball. We have done some good things there. I just want to see if I can see him do that for a whole game. See where it goes.”

Isn't that what he said right here?

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
O
Legend
Legend
O
In general, Hue is in a tough spot. He's gotta support both QBs, even though he can only start one at a time.

In certain situations (like this one), picking apart what a coach says won't get you very far in terms of figuring out what's going on. The coach really can't say very much without damaging the situation further.

Looking back over the past games this season, I'm glad Hue made the decision to bench Kizer, and do so as gently as possible. The kid needs a break to catch his breath and try to figure stuff out... but he doesn't need to be beat up about it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian

Quote:
See if Kevin can do it. Obviously, he has done that in games. We have moved the ball. We have done some good things there. I just want to see if I can see him do that for a whole game. See where it goes.”

It's not cool to defend Hue. Get w/the program. LOL

The FO has provided Hue w/a ton of talent and experience. They are the gods of the NFL and Hue is ruining all the great work they do.

bonefish #1332157 10/12/17 08:50 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: bonefish

There are many ways to get the job done. Bernie is one of guys that proved that. There have been many others. Tarkenton was another.

When Wentz was going through the draft process I was crazy for the guy. He had what I was looking for. Not going to go through the whole analysis as to why. I said it all over this Board during that time.

The Browns went another direction and justified it with: We need many players and one will not do.

They made that decision before with Julio Jones. Neither decision has proved to be right.

At this point I am nowhere near giving up on Kizer. He was raw when drafted and nothing will change that in six months time.

At the same time the Browns must be very careful not to fall into the trap of believing in Kizer without real proof one way or another.

When this season is over I doubt that the quarterback question will have an answer.

The Browns hopefully will go into the off season with an open mind regarding the quarterback position.

This is why I do not trust this FO to draft number one overall next year.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Quote:

I think those are two different things. Maybe I am reading into things too much, but if you say you hope Kizer starts again this year, doesn't that mean Kevin Hogan failed?

cfrs15 #1332201 10/13/17 03:56 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
I think Kizer has regressed. Coming into this starting of the rookie I said as long as he progressed. The last couple of games has not shown. We as a team deserve to start winning. Although I think Hogan does not have the skill set to be an NFL QB he is the best suited to win games for us. I never wish for us to play for the draft pick. In lieu of that I hope Kizer sits the rest of the season.
Jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

cfrs15 #1332209 10/13/17 04:42 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Quote:

I think those are two different things. Maybe I am reading into things too much, but if you say you hope Kizer starts again this year, doesn't that mean Kevin Hogan failed?

I took as he hopes Kizer is who he thinks he is. And and some point this year he is hoping Kizer catches up and surpasses Hogan. Then insert Kizer...hence the "hope so" statement.

at least that how I took...

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
cfrs15 #1332218 10/13/17 07:00 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R

It does. Jackson is basically saying Hogan has no chance to be better than Kizer. He's just keeping the seat warm until Kizer is ready. Hopefully Hogan rubs it in his face.

Rishuz #1332222 10/13/17 07:40 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Meh - I think it's coach speak, we see a lot of it from Hue. Hogan's fate is in his own hands (and the hands of the WR's!) ... if he plays well, gets wins, doesn't turn the ball over ... he will continue to 'keep the seat warm'. I think if he struggles or D's start catching up to him, we might see another change after the bye week. jmo

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Milk Man #1332223 10/13/17 07:42 AM
Legend
Legend
Hue sure is a curious guy. Looking for stuff to see, we keep tanking games. Kessler was sorry, Kizer plays until bottom of the NFL. And if Kizer develops enough, at some point to be determined, if ever, we have done what? Why draft this marginal a project?

I am tired of crapshoots. And the people judging football "horseflesh" are lousy at this drafting business. Kessler, and then Kizer. Any new flavor of the day will have baggage. I expected growing pains. Kizer is much worse than I thought. Against winnable opponents. Hogan has outplayed him by what he avoids. Practice must be an exercise in Blind Man's Bluff. Hue seems frantic to have this pick pan out; not so sure this will ever get good enough. Go, Browns. Way too much talk and explanation in interviews. Last in NFL.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
cfrs15 #1332236 10/13/17 08:48 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V

Quote:

I think people are looking to criticize Hue. I also think he was trying to say positive things about both players when asked direct questions about each.

It's not that freaking hard to understand.

cfrs15 #1332237 10/13/17 08:56 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Here are Hogan's combine comparisons:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/kevin-hogan

Interesting and thanks for that. I couldn't find a % for Hogan tho?

WSU Willie #1332242 10/13/17 09:13 AM
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
J/c ....

Hue answered the question with the intent of saying something positive about Kizer .... the words didn’t come out as well as they could have ....

Hues made mistakes but this ain’t even close to being one of them ...

eotab #1332245 10/13/17 09:16 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
...Although I think Hogan does not have the skill set to be an NFL QB he is the best suited to win games for us...Jmho

What skill set is missing or lacking with Hogan? I don't see how we could "know" that at the moment. Other than arm strength - he is better than Kizer at everything else asked of a QB.

It'll be interesting to see how he performs this week.

WSU Willie #1332272 10/13/17 10:06 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
with his assets would like for him to be more accurate. .that is why he is NOT the guy. He is smart, has good rhthym, make decisive reads...just not accurate enough for long term.
Jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1332279 10/13/17 10:12 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
with his assets would like for him to be more accurate. .that is why he is NOT the guy. He is smart, has good rhthym, make decisive reads...just not accurate enough for long term.
Jmho

Fair enough. That wasn't his college rep though IIRC...and the NFL sample is still very small.

FWIW...I think Hogan has a better shot at overcoming accuracy issues than does Kizer.

DiamDawg #1332309 10/13/17 10:57 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think Hue has handled Kizer the way Iwould have. He has the tools, he has the intelligence, you need to see what how he can do under pressure in order to gauge is growth. I also agree that it was time to go with Hogan.

You cant allow a rookie to continue to turn the ball over when u are losing games u should have been winning. Hogan gives the team a chance to win and right now Kizer does not. simple as that.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Mr. Kizer

Link Copied to Clipboard