Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Originally Posted By: mgh888
I think it makes a difference - because it was another play call and game situation that Hue misread, and I think it's a trend. I am not for firing Hue - but he needs to own his errors. Or - he needs to own his history of 50-50 calls that seem to have always turned out wrong.... I also think it makes a difference because the penalty puts them out of FG range and you have a good opportunity to stop them on a 3rd and 16... come out of it with no points given up. jmo.
So you want him to read minds then? Everyone figured they would kick the fg. it was more a shock they didn't than him declining the penalty. Seems to me you just don't like hue and are looking for ways to criticize, trust me, there is plenty to criticize, but this really isn't one. I don't believe it would have put them out of FG range, especially if they picked up a first down on that 3rd down play - see, we can assume all sorts of things, but the fact remains he played the percentages (of them not going for it). It wasn't a gamble. I think its one of those things if you took the penalty it wasn't bad and if you didn't take it wasn't bad call.

No - I like Hue. I want to keep him. I've said since preseason I want him to get an OC so 100% of his time is as a HC.

The choices were - 4th and 1 with a 41 yard FG - or 3rd and 16 at the 40. I don't want Hue to read minds - I think I'll take the 3rd and 16 at the 40. against the JETS Hue put faith in the struggling offense to get two yards on a 4th and 2. . . . Why wouldn't he put his faith in a much better performing defensive unit on 3rd and 16? . . . any play that gave up less than 15 yards made the FG attempt more difficult and if you cause an incomplete pass you give up no points. I said what I meant ...

Last edited by mgh888; 10/23/17 11:39 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
against the JETS Hue put faith in the struggling offense to get two yards on a 4th and 2. . . .
Or you can say that he put faith in his def to stop a team on 4th.......see how that works?

and any play over 15 yards was a first. When its 4th down your a decent yardage away from endzone, and have a stellar FG kicker, you 99.9% of the time assume they are kicking the FG. You can blame his decision on what happened after that fact. and the final verdict was a FG anyway.

It really is not really that big a play a decision, honestly to keep bringing it up. I point out people keep bringing it up because of AFTER the FACTS and simply because they just dislike hue. 9/10 coaches would have declined it as well.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It was 4th and 1 from our 32yd line, which means Tennessee's options were to go for it or kick a 49yd FG because punting did nothing for them. If Hue takes the penalty its 3rd and 16 from our 47yd line meaning if we stop them on 3rd down Tennessee's options are to punt or to try a 64 yd FG. The smart play would have been to take the penalty.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Heal up, Eo. Speedy recovery!

I saw game plans for losses one through six gift us another loss. Kizer's rah-rah meeting was worthless apparently. He just is not improving. He is a turnover engine. Watching Kizer is painful. Hogan stunk up his chance, and Kessler gave us a chance. Horrible to watch our WR's trotting routes. Might as well leave the country.

Hope something positive happens during bye week!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Could someone explain the face mask penalty hue declined?
Hue listens to Dave Giuliani who is upstairs communicating with Hue on the field. I don't know who made the call but it was the wrong one! I was livid as usual. It is really stupid to complain about the Hue bashing!

Exciting football will be back in Cleveland this fall!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Good God!

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I thought the run defense proved it was not a mirage. Taylor had a decent game outside and I really like Calhoun. He covers well and lays a hit. The defense has an attitude and is much improved from last season. Garrett met a very good OT. He played decently - he’s a rook and will grow.

Offense looked balanced until JT went out. I think that upset me more than the loss.

Kessler - man he’s a conundrum. He made some excellent throws. Why has he been inactive as he arguably looks like our best best? Kizer needs to sit. His first INT was to the 15 foot tall invisible guy between Higgins and Louis. He got fooled on the 2nd. I fear for his psyche getting yanked again but I actually think Hue will make it work. 0-6 and the players were fired up.

We need a go to receiver in the worst way. I also thought Crow had a good game. I think we win a game or 2 on the back on the defense. We are a couple of DBs away there IMHO.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good post. I have been reluctant to praise the run defense, but they shut down a pretty damn good running team yesterday. I was impressed.

I actually thought the team played well yesterday. I saw progress.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You want to expand on that comment?

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
V
Legend
Legend
V
Nope.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: dawg66

It was 4th and 1 from our 32yd line, which means Tennessee's options were to go for it or kick a 49yd FG because punting did nothing for them. If Hue takes the penalty its 3rd and 16 from our 47yd line meaning if we stop them on 3rd down Tennessee's options are to punt or to try a 64 yd FG. The smart play would have been to take the penalty.

The smart play would have been for TEN to kick the 49FG, you know, with the guy that has made like 60 consecutive from within that range....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That may have been but we're talking about Hue not Tennessee.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Good post. I have been reluctant to praise the run defense, but they shut down a pretty damn good running team yesterday. I was impressed.

I actually thought the team played well yesterday. I saw progress.

I think the defense is close to being good. We got pressure some of the time but we absolutely stuffed a potent running attack. I think we probably still need a sideline to sideline hybrid backer - Peppers maybe? I can’t fault the defense. They went toe to toe with a physical offense and won on points. JT avoids injury and we win I believe.

I want to see continuing progress and more if this smack ‘em in the mouth mentality on D. I think we’re still fragile to quick passing teams but it is what it is.

I’m optimistic next draft and maybe even a FA or 2 gets us to a corner.

Edit: I read a few posts being critical of Garrett and his lack of big plays. He made lots of good plays. He was a key part of a great run defense. Sacks are great but he didn’t get run at all day or lose contain for the most. He’s really very good.

Last edited by drobs; 10/23/17 02:17 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think we need a FS in the worst way. I also think we need to upgrade our corners.

We're improving and that is an encouraging sign.

V
Legend
Legend
V

Actually, the thread title is What I saw, not Critique Hue.

I get mentioning it, but man, some of you are harping on it over and over and over and ignoring everything else that went on.

Aren't there enough threads where you guys can criticize Hue?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Edit: I read a few posts being critical of Garrett and his lack of big plays. He made lots of good plays. He was a key part of a great run defense. Sacks are great but he didn’t get run at all day or lose contain for the most. He’s really very good.
I think unless he gets 2-3 sacks a game you will see that. Most people don't understand / watch the actual game, and realize that there is much more to pass rushing than just sack numbers. How many penalties does he draw, how many double teams does he draw, how many hurries does he have, how many qb knockdowns etc.

Bet your bum the offense is aware of where he is on EVERY....SINGLE....Play

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I think we need a FS in the worst way. I also think we need to upgrade our corners.

We're improving and that is an encouraging sign.
I agree, but I also would suggest that if we had a better OFFENSE our defense would be better in those places as well. Less time on the field, etc.

I don't want a DEF player picked anywhere near the first two rounds this next year IMO. All Offense.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
against the JETS Hue put faith in the struggling offense to get two yards on a 4th and 2. . . .
Or you can say that he put faith in his def to stop a team on 4th.......see how that works?

No - because Hue stated (as I have read) that he thought they would KICK the FG. So that was his mindset. He was not trusting his D to stop a 4th and 1. And if that was the case ... would anyone rather choose to face 2 downs to get 16 yards or a single down to get 1 yard..... I think the smart choice would be to face 2 downs and 16 yards.

It wasn't that big of a decision you are right. It happened early in the game and there was plenty of opportunity to win the game and change momentum of the game throughout the rest of the plays. As I pointed out though - there seems to be a repeating pattern of such calls many games and we don't seem to come out on top of any of them. To me that's worth looking at and discussing.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
because Hue stated (as I have read) that he thought they would KICK the FG
AS DID ANYONE WHO WAS WATCHING THE GAME! lol.

It was not a bad call. If they would have kicked the FG, which they should have - it would not even be a discussion. sheesh, and as Vers pointed out, this is not the thread to voice your complaints about hue....there are plenty others. But you seem to not be able to NOT have the last word in - even when you have stated your point over and over and over again.....so ill will digress as the bigger poster, you are right the rest of the world is wrong, Hue is the worst coach to ever coach football because of this decision that did not effect a single thing.....

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

It was not a bad call. If they would have kicked the FG, which they should have - it would not even be a discussion. sheesh, and as Vers pointed out, this is not the thread to voice your complaints about hue....there are plenty others. But you seem to not be able to NOT have the last word in - even when you have stated your point over and over and over again.....so ill will digress as the bigger poster, you are right the rest of the world is wrong, Hue is the worst coach to ever coach football because of this decision that did not effect a single thing.....

Thats your idea of being the bigger poster? ... rofl ...

Aye aye aye ...

And just curious there menZa ...

U brought up the zillion in a row made UNDER 50 ... and i gotta say ... when your talking about 1 49 yarder ... that is a BS STAT AT BEST ... this is exactly the reason that STATS ARE FOR .....

I’d be curious to know how many he made between 45 - 50 out of that streak .... why u may ask ...

THATS RELEVANT TO THE CURRENT SITUATION ...

How many he made from 25, 30, 35 and 40 MEAN NOTHING when your talking about a 49 YARDER

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Quote:

No - because Hue stated (as I have read) that he thought they would KICK the FG. So that was his mindset. He was not trusting his D to stop a 4th and 1. And if that was the case ... would anyone rather choose to face 2 downs to get 16 yards or a single down to get 1 yard..... I think the smart choice would be to face 2 downs and 16 yards.

It wasn't that big of a decision you are right. It happened early in the game and there was plenty of opportunity to win the game and change momentum of the game throughout the rest of the plays. As I pointed out though - there seems to be a repeating pattern of such calls many games and we don't seem to come out on top of any of them. To me that's worth looking at and discussing.

What you saw is absolutely worth discussing. We see the game-day decisions that Hue keeps bungling. Then...when you think you've seen it all...he tops it off with declining that penalty. What you saw and what I saw was a HC that continues to be as irresponsible in his decision-making as is our rookie QB with throwing the football.

I saw a legit 3 point game - not like the other games that had a 3 point differential but truly legit - and I saw a HC concede 3 points...THEN saw the opposing team pass on the 3 point favor for a first down inside their opponents 30 yard line. That decision to decline the penalty is not defense-able. It's not. It was stupid and cute like a lot of others I've seen from Hue this year.

I saw a coach who needs to get better. I still don't want him fired...but he needs to admit his mistake and stop hurting his team with these stupid decisions.

M
Legend
Legend
M
But you seem to not be able to NOT have the last word in - even when you have stated your point over and over and over again.....

Ummmm .... how can I have the last word if you keep posting in response to and on the same topic?

And when you keep making points that I disagree with or are just plain wrong -- you expect me not to address those points?Sorry - I thought I was having a discussion on a talk board ... I thought the point was to interact and discuss.

And ... no-one (well not me) said Hue is the worst HC in the world or even close. But go ahead and post that stuff if it helps you .

Last edited by mgh888; 10/23/17 03:35 PM.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Quote:

Thats your idea of being the bigger poster? ... rofl ...

Aye aye aye ...

And just curious there menZa ...

U brought up the zillion in a row made UNDER 50 ... and i gotta say ... when your talking about 1 49 yarder ... that is a BS STAT AT BEST ... this is exactly the reason that STATS ARE FOR .....

I’d be curious to know how many he made between 45 - 50 out of that streak .... why u may ask ...

THATS RELEVANT TO THE CURRENT SITUATION ...

How many he made from 25, 30, 35 and 40 MEAN NOTHING when your talking about a 49 YARDER

this year from 40-49 he is 10-10 (he did a 46 yarder against us in the game too smile

actually from 40-49 in the last 3 years he is perfect as well and for his career he is 81%

they don't break those stats down any further than that.....but those stats are hard to argue with.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Damm ... hes had 10 from over 40 all ready this year .. that seems like a boatload ...

much more RELEVANT stat ...

Wonder what he is from over 50 ...

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
mgh...thought it would have been a 50+ attempt which Succup is not good at. Not a deal breaker but when I found out it was a 15 yard penalty thought odds were much better stopping 3rd n 16 than 4th n 1 also assuming it would be a tought decision on 4th n 7 if they made some yards. Result was a punt...even even on 4th n 1 punt was the decision not taken.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I saw MG getting held (or hands to face) regularly with no call.

I didn't see Duke on the field in OT...after being a total stud on the game-tying 4th Qtr field goal drive.

I saw an OPI call in the 4th Qtr that was complete BS and that severely harmed a drive...on the play before an interception.

I saw Britt drop a terrific pass in OT that would have - at the very least - changed field position...if not lead to a win or tie.

I saw 4 penalties by our ST...and one came before one second came off the clock.

I saw one offensive delay of game penalty and saw one burned T.O. to avoid another delay of game penalty...in the seventh game of the year no less.

I saw receivers getting open. I saw receivers running long yardage routes when a stop, drop and turn around would result in easy chunk yardage...but the defense seemed to know where they were going.

I saw Crow commit a blocking penalty on a nice gainer for the second week in a row.

I saw another Browns backup QB make me wonder how he'd look with a week of 1st team reps.

I saw my team lose yet another game on a last second field goal while I was in the stadium.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Maybe Hue thought they still had the 5 yard facemask penalty rofl

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Succup over 50 is not good

I might have mistaken the yard on the field. If it was 32 yard line then I think Hue was 100% correct in his assumption they would attempt FG.

Vers dont get so worked up over it...just go with what you saw as that should give more to discuss. Usually no politics in what we see.

Did I see us utilize 2 TE to stop Orakpo n Drango one on one with DE as they overloaded that leftside.

This something we havent had to deal with in 10 freaking years...how will we handle this...time for the OL coach to earn some of that money.

Outside of that one sack near end of game Coleman was not that bad.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

O
Legend
Legend
O
Question to anyone that will answer...

What happened on the field goal that occurred near/after the 2 minute warning? Did we call a timeout to ice the kicker, or no?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
A
Legend
Legend
A
My understanding is the 2 minute warning came into effect.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
sorry dont remember but I thought we had made good usages of our timeouts throughout the game.
Just a general memory of timeouts.

Overall I thought the game was well coached and really obvious we lost this with the loss of Joe T and I cannotblame us for not being prepared for it...I guess Drango has taken the Joe T reps during the week??? Or was it the Banner kid who was inactive???

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

O
Legend
Legend
O
arch and eo...

It was very very confusing to follow over internet radio. I had a couple strategically placed connection cutouts that made it seems like we tried to call a timeout to ice the kicker, but then it was determined that we didn't call a timeout, and it was the 2-minute warning that gave the Titans another chance to kick the field goal.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

D
Legend
Legend
D
It was the 2 minute warning oooob ...

Idiots on tv screwed it up too ...

I was wondering myself ... rewound it ... it was the 2 minute warning ...

HE MISSED IT from 47 ... would have broke his streak ...

And it shows just HOW BAD OUR LUCK IS .....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Actually, the thread title is What I saw, not Critique Hue.

I get mentioning it, but man, some of you are harping on it over and over and over and ignoring everything else that went on.

Aren't there enough threads where you guys can criticize Hue?

That's rich coming from you.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Confused us, too. Then we figured it was the warning. He missed and we thought Hue had iced it; then it was good. Hats off to some of the D.

Are we over the Kizer experiment for awhile? They all stink pretty regular. Kessler the Scorned might need to carry us for the remainder. Might as well use an Ouija board to pick the next one. Physically painful to watch. Maybe The Curse can't reach us in London.

Order a ton of Cheerio's or red meat for Drango, whatever JT eats, because he is no Joe Thomas.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
It looked to me like he knew the whistle blew and he just gave a Britt type half-arsed effort to check the wind or something.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: KashDawg
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Could someone explain the face mask penalty hue declined?

The guy is a idiot and doesn't understand game situations?

I'm pretty sure it was a 5 yard "illegal hands to the face" penalty, not a 15 yard face mask. Thats why I agreed with the decision.

Nope. It was 15 yarder we declined.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Oh, I see. They snapped the ball just after it hit the 2-minute...

That makes much more sense.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: jfanent
It looked to me like he knew the whistle blew and he just gave a Britt type half-arsed effort to check the wind or something.

That could be correct ... im gonna go rewatch and see what his reaction was ...

It hit 3/4’s of the way up the upright ... looked to me like he just hit it wrong ...

But who knows ...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 9 Titans 12 What I saw game 7

Link Copied to Clipboard