Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
--I didn't blame Hue for calling the TO at the end of the half. In fact, I was hoping he would. We have had a plethora of turnovers and failures in the red zone this year. We have a rookie qb who is struggling and an inexperienced offensive team. I thought it was wise to make sure that we calmed down and come up w/a solid play. Yes, we left them 40 seconds, but I think it was more important to get the score.

I'm all for the TO for the purposes you listed... at 15 seconds. I'm at work watching with the guys and my immediate comment was "run it down to 15 seconds". NO excuse for not understanding the situation, I did, and I was preoccupied with doing my job.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
L
Legend
Legend
L
I don't think our current WRs are good. Not even mediocre .

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I forgot: on Crow's TD run Zeitler had a great block at the next level. that was a nice play

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Refocused: Minnesota Vikings 33, Cleveland Browns 16

TOP 5 GRADES:
OT Shon Coleman, 89.6 overall grade

DI T.Y. McGill, 87.2 overall grade

LB Joe Schobert, 83.2 overall grade

Edge Carl Nassib, 82.7 overall grade

DI Danny Shelton, 82.3 overall grade

PERFORMANCES OF NOTE:
QB DESHONE KIZER, 66.0 OVERALL GRADE
The Browns seemed to come into the game today with the plan to ask as little of Kizer as possible, opening the game with multiple short passes designed to allow his receivers to make plays. While that worked early on, late in the game they needed him to make plays downfield and it just didn’t happen for much of the game. He did have an impressive 38-yard completion down the left sideline against Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodes, but that was the only completion he had on the day that travelled 10 yards or further in the air

OT SHON COLEMAN, 89.6 OVERALL GRADE
Coleman excelled in pass protection for the Browns, avoiding allowing a pressure all game and had some impressive blocks in the running game as well. His zero pressures allowed came on 40 pass blocking snaps, giving him a pass blocking efficiency rating of 100.0.

DI T.Y. MCGILL, 87.2 OVERALL GRADE
McGill proved to be a problem for Minnesota’s offensive line as he wreaked havoc throughout the afternoon, be it rushing the passer or against the run. Although McGill rushed the passer on just nine occasions, he was able to pick up three total pressures, including a hit. In addition, he was nearly unblockable in the running game seemingly all afternoon.

EDGE CARL NASSIB, 82.7 OVERALL GRADE
While Nassib picked up just one pressure – a sack – on 31 pass-rushing snaps, he also got the hands on two passes at the line of scrimmage, including one that turned into an interception in the first quarter. In addition, Nassib impressed by setting the edge against runs as he was among the Browns’ highest graded defenders against the run.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-minnesota-vikings-33-cleveland-browns-16

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
Win/loss record is just about the worst way to judge a QB.

I think you are a top 10 poster on this site, although misunderstood some times, but this is one of the dumbest things I have ever read in a football thread.

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: FATE
--I didn't blame Hue for calling the TO at the end of the half. In fact, I was hoping he would. We have had a plethora of turnovers and failures in the red zone this year. We have a rookie qb who is struggling and an inexperienced offensive team. I thought it was wise to make sure that we calmed down and come up w/a solid play. Yes, we left them 40 seconds, but I think it was more important to get the score.

I'm all for the TO for the purposes you listed... at 15 seconds. I'm at work watching with the guys and my immediate comment was "run it down to 15 seconds". NO excuse for not understanding the situation, I did, and I was preoccupied with doing my job.

The coach is the one guy on the field who is supposed to understand the situation. That's why he's the coach.

There's an adjective for Hue's error in judgment. Egregious.

You have to seriously wonder that if someone doesn't understand that situation right there if they should be a HC in the NFL.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Finger pointing beginning in a veiled or not so veiled shot at the FO?.......

I don't think this whole thing will end will.

Hue Jackson after the game:

“Everything has to be perfect. I think that's where we are. You're saying it without saying it. I think everything has got to be perfect for us to have a chance to win a football game. That's just where we are as a football team. We get it, and our coaching staff gets it, and our players get it, and we work that way. We try to do the best we can to get everything right, but we all know that's not how football is played.

“You can't be perfect. It's still a game. You're going to make mistakes, and things are going to come up, but that's where we are so that's what we have to do every time we play to give ourselves the best chance to win games. Today we didn't make as many, so we were in the game for quite a while. Then all of a sudden we don't make some other plays I think we can make, and then the game flipped. That's kind of been the story of where we are.”

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Every time there was hope...."Rookies" is all I could muster.

Good pass, dropped....by a rookie
Locking on to receivers by a rookie
Penalties by rookies

Being "young" is a bad thing and I am sick of people talking about it like it's a good thing. Njoku shows lots of talent he is going to be good, I don't see Kizer as a viable QB, the game is way too fast for him.

Add all of this onto an absolute trash heap of WR's, hard to blame hue for anything other than some game management mistakes.

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Finger pointing beginning in a veiled or not so veiled shot at the FO?.......

I don't think this whole thing will end will.

Hue Jackson after the game:

“Everything has to be perfect. I think that's where we are. You're saying it without saying it. I think everything has got to be perfect for us to have a chance to win a football game. That's just where we are as a football team. We get it, and our coaching staff gets it, and our players get it, and we work that way. We try to do the best we can to get everything right, but we all know that's not how football is played.

“You can't be perfect. It's still a game. You're going to make mistakes, and things are going to come up, but that's where we are so that's what we have to do every time we play to give ourselves the best chance to win games. Today we didn't make as many, so we were in the game for quite a while. Then all of a sudden we don't make some other plays I think we can make, and then the game flipped. That's kind of been the story of where we are.”

I don't think it's veiled.

I think he's run out of things to say.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Kenny Britt being active and not playing a down was a clear message to the FO from Hue.

"You don't have to cut him, but I'm not playing him."

It's on.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dave
Kenny Britt being active and not playing a down was a clear message to the FO from Hue.

It's on.

Good. That POS is lucky to be on the roster.

And regarding other comments on rookies and being young: The Browns cannot stay young year after year. There is NO way to make progress if these guys don't have a clue as to what is going on at the NFL level. And at some point, the Browns need TALENT. Simply stockpiling draft picks hasn't really worked, has it?

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

There's an adjective for Hue's error in judgment. Egregious.

You have to seriously wonder that if someone doesn't understand that situation right there if they should be a HC in the NFL.

I think it was a serious error - and just like I have said elsewhere it is concerning that there definitely seems to be somewhat of a pattern. . . . the truth is Hue has a LOT going on, it's not like he's managing a normal team or a normal situation with everything he is balancing. Diam said it the other day and I agree 100% - Hue is desperate for a win and I think he really feels every loss with mounting pressure - not because he's afraid of losing his job I think he really, really, really hates losing like this.

We played against a pretty good team - and an excellent D. I saw a lot of improvement despite the eventual collapse. I saw a lot of what others saw -- I won't repeat them. All but I don't think anyone else mentioned it this week: Secondary looks WAY better without Peppers back there. Someone stated that last week and it was the same this week. But still hate the S 20 yards deep.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
I hope he hates losing. I hope they all hate losing.

The "this is really bothering Hue" narrative is lame.

If it's bothering him so much, then he should do something about it.

And leaving time on the clock for the other team to score when it was completely in his control not to do it does not give me a lot of sympathy for Hue.

I have sympathy for the fans watching this crap product.

I can live with the losses. I predicted a MAX of 3 wins before the season. I just can't stomach stupidity.

M
Legend
Legend
M

It's on.

If it is, it's a stupid ass way to go about it. All Hue has to do is make him inactive and let someone else suit up. Why would Hue waste a game day spot? If that is how he is going about it, he's pretty stupid.

Tackles are tackles.
A
Legend
Legend
A
I bet your boss is real proud you're watching the game at work. And posting.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Quote:
Not totally sure why Willians is being knocked. We had a great plan until we ran out of steam.

As soon as he switched to the single safety 25 yards deep, things changed. It stuck out like a sore thumb to me. They were doing well, then things opened up for Minni.

They played well, but that adjustment hurt them.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

My employees are real proud to work with a boss that watches the games with them and still trusts them to do their jobs. I am the boss. Nice try. Besides, "posting" in the "post-game" thread doesn't necessarily mean I'm at work anyway. When in question, you could always deduce the word "was" means past tense... try and keep up.

A
Legend
Legend
A

My employees are real proud to work with a boss that watches the games with them and still trusts them to do their jobs. I am the boss. Nice try. Besides, "posting" in the "post-game" thread doesn't necessarily mean I'm at work anyway. When in question, you could always deduce the word "was" means past tense... try and keep up.

But, that's not what you said.

So, you're the boss. Cool. I bet your employees love the fact that you post about the game.

I bet YOU?R boss doesn't.

Legend
Legend

So, you're the boss. Cool. I bet your employees love the fact that you post about the game.

Have another drink bro.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Have another drink bro.

Ignore the old farts, they'll try to twist and turn things their way.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: jfanent
There was a lot of good today ... LOTS ...

Quit feeling sorry for yourselves ..

Bunch of quitters ...

We've been hopeful since 1999. Can you really fault someone for not feeling that "this time it's different"? It's like believing that "this time, there really will be candy", and then getting into the van and suffering the consequences. Every frickin' year.

This is actually the FIRST TIME I’VE THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE DIFFERENT since our return ...

This is by far the most optomistic i’ve ever been about us having a shot at turning it around ...

This is a DIFFERENT VAN ... it can’t change how the vans in the past were driven ...

I sincerely hope your hunch proves correct.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:
It's like believing that "this time, there really will be candy", and then getting into the van and suffering the consequences. Every frickin' year.

Well... that certainly was... colorfully put-
rofl

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Right down to the flat tire, that pic nails it!

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I agree with this post.

Quote:
The D giving up the long drives, struggling against the run in the second half. Is that lack of talent (LB/DB) or fatigue?

I recorded this game because I had to work. Colleagues know to not talk football with me on Sunday gigs.

So I get home around 4PM, and my wife said she was surprised to find the recording at 12 min rec time. I told her about the pick/TD in the first qtr. that I saw while getting ready for work.

"I couldn't help it- I watched while you were gone."

"Lemme guess- they looked really good, then they looked OK, then they looked really bad to finish the game." She just sort of sheepishly smiled and said: I'll go watch Hallmark in the other room. Enjoy your game(?)"

It's both, Cal
And it's why I rarely post in the football forums any more.

When you have 2/3 of a team, that team can be competitive for only 2/3 of a game. It's why all Browns games follow the exact same pattern:

1. Game plan is solid for the personnel we have. We have some success.
2. One little thing goes wrong, and the Browns either find themselves in deficit, OR losing an early advantage. At halftime the game is close.
3. Oppo Team makes halftime adjustments/takes away the 2 or 3 things that brought us success.
4. D wears out midway through the 3rd qtr, because we're so talent-starved of O playmakers, and can't sustain drives.
5. Browns get down enough points to abandon the game plan, and ask DK to be Aaron Rogers. Oppo D tees off/wheels fall off.

There is a nucleus of 'complimentary players'- the kind of guys who make up the body of a team, but we have no difference-makers, and we lack veteran leadership to show these kids what 'man(tf)up' looks like.

Reason #2 that I've stayed away: the weekly howls of despair. I'm not being derogatory or dismissive of my fellow fans here. I just know what I'll find after days like this. I know what I'll read. And I can't blame a single poster for feeling as they so. Losing sucks. And losing all the time? well... that sucks on a personal level.

Staying away from the daily/weekly grind of talking Browns has given me a different perspective. It's also led me to watching the game differently. I'm watching to see who has what. Who does what. I can't watch expecting to win, because we don't yet have a fully-equipped professional football team.

At the beginning of the season, everyone had pretty realistic expectations: "They're so young..." "There will be some flashes, but there will be some real stinkers..." "There will be speed bumps..."

Well... this is what speed bumps look like. This is what a 'youth movement' brings you. And because we're such a young team, those speed bumps look like one long endless stretch of washboard dirt road. It sucks rocks. But it is what we should have all expected for Year Two.

Anyone who's watched this bunch since '99 can see the pattern here... THIS is the year that tells me if Haslam has learned anything from his years as owner. Because if he blows up another partially-formed team again after this season, he deserves an empty stadium on Opening Day '18.

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I didn't focus on Spencer Drango too much, but it seems like he was at least average.

That fact that you weren't focused on Drango means he did his job.

I was quite satisfied with what I saw, for the most part.

#GMStong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
When you have 2/3 of a team, that team can be competitive for only 2/3 of a game. It's why all Browns games follow the exact same pattern:

I read somewhere where Hue said that they have to be so perfect and that it is impossible for a team to be perfect.

It is what it is.

We have a very young and inexperienced team that is going to make mistakes and we don't have enough talent/experience to overcome mistakes.

I truly hope Haslam doesn't listen to the people who are calling for firings. If he does, I wonder if either one of us will try to talk the other off the ledge?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent
There was a lot of good today ... LOTS ...

Quit feeling sorry for yourselves ..

Bunch of quitters ...

We've been hopeful since 1999. Can you really fault someone for not feeling that "this time it's different"? It's like believing that "this time, there really will be candy", and then getting into the van and suffering the consequences. Every frickin' year.

This is actually the FIRST TIME I’VE THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE DIFFERENT since our return ...

This is by far the most optomistic i’ve ever been about us having a shot at turning it around ...

This is a DIFFERENT VAN ... it can’t change how the vans in the past were driven ...

I like your optimism, Diam. I really, really do.
I WANT to feel that, but I'm not allowing myself the luxury. Not just yet.

Reason: I don't trust Haslam to let this play out for another 2 seasons... because that's what it will take to get over the hump.

I think it's being built right at this point in time (so far). I think the job is only half-complete, but I can be on-board with HOW it's being done (at least Big Picture... nobody's gonna be 100% in the can with every decision, for sure).

We have a shot at competitiveness and a turned-around culture if Haslam stays the course.

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I read somewhere where Hue said that they have to be so perfect and that it is impossible for a team to be perfect.

It is what it is.

We have a very young and inexperienced team that is going to make mistakes and we don't have enough talent/experience to overcome mistakes.

I truly hope Haslam doesn't listen to the people who are calling for firings. If he does, I wonder if either one of us will try to talk the other off the ledge?

I love that we see this from the same perspective.

To answer your question: I dunno, Dawg.
Maybe we should just 'Thelma & Louise' this beyotch, once and for all....

[Clem]: "Verse- it's been real-"
[Vers]: "Wish I could say it's been good-"
[V&C]: "One... two..."

rofl

#GMStong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Only you could come up w/a Thelma and Louise reference. Btw---I used to have a thing for Geena Davis. laugh

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Btw---I used to have a thing for Geena Davis.

That doesn't make you unique.

#GMStong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I figured. laugh

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm kind of struggling with this whole "we have to be perfect while admitting it's not possible" quote from Hue. I'm going to give him a pass on it because like someone mentioned above, he's probably run out of things to say.

But IF this is the kind of thing he's coaching the players to believe... no kidding we're having problems. Human psychology tells us that when you predetermine an (usually negative) outcome, our subsequent actions leading up to that point subconsciously ensure that outcome.

I don't want to go any further down this path at the moment because I don't think I can do it without it sounding like I'm bashing Hue, and I don't have any intention of doing that.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL.........even though you didn't want to bash Hue, your comments kinda did just that.

That is your right. However, I think what Hue is saying is the truth and he even mentioned that the players know it, too.

We need more talent and experience. Rhetoric will not change that.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
LOL.........even though you didn't want to bash Hue, your comments kinda did just that.

That is your right. However, I think what Hue is saying is the truth and he even mentioned that the players know it, too.

We need more talent and experience. Rhetoric will not change that.

Yeah, which again is why I didn't want to go further down that particular path. Because I do think Hue is doing something right if the players haven't given up on him through all this.

I know there is a talent/experience gap between us and a lot of other teams. NO denying that. But to say this team needs to play perfect football and re-enforce that belief in the minds of the players IMO doesn't do them any favors and is counter productive.

This team only needs 2 things:

-For the WRs to catch the ball

-For Kizer to recognize the best places to give his receivers the best chance of success and get the ball there.

If we can get competent execution on both fronts, mistakes will be minimized and opportunities to break it open will increase.

**Oh yeah, basic discipline... too many friggin penalties.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Duly noted.

Now, what do you think of a FO that lets some of your most talented players walk and cuts others? What kind of message does that send to the team?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Win/loss record is just about the worst way to judge a QB.

I think you are a top 10 poster on this site, although misunderstood some times, but this is one of the dumbest things I have ever read in a football thread.

Brock Osweiler "won" ten games last year.

V
Legend
Legend
V
And we would have some wins had Sashi not cut him.

R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R

I never understood the cutting Osweiler thing.

He's not good, but look what you got.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Not because he's good though. It'd be because he actually might know what he is doing instead of Kizer who is the worst. Being better than Kizer is not any sort of accomplishment.

(Also, we don't know who wanted him cut.)

V
Legend
Legend
V
I understand that, but we needed some wins. The mob is getting louder about Hue and the FO.

We don't know, but Brock's comments gives me a clue. You took them another way and used the word "weird." I used the word "revealing."

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 16 Vikings 33 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard