Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Belichick on Garoppolo trade: We rode it out as long as we could..

Posted by Josh Alper on October 31, 2017, 12:17 PM EDT

AP
Patriots coach Bill Belichick didn’t wait to be asked any of the obvious questions that were waiting for him on a Tuesday morning conference call.

Belichick opened with a long statement about the decision to trade quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo to the 49ers. Belichick said he has a “tremendous amount of respect” for Garoppolo and that the 49ers are getting a “good quarterback” who the Patriots would have liked to keep on the roster.

Belichick said he couldn’t find any feasible way to make that happen, however, and wanted to make a trade before Tuesday afternoon’s deadline because it was their last chance to do so.

“We probably had in my mind, in my opinion, the best quarterback situation in the league for the last 2.5 years,” Belichick said. “It is just not sustainable given the way that things are set up. Definitely not something we wanted to walk away from and I felt we rode it out as long as we could. We’ve, over a period of time, explored every option possible to sustain it but, at this point, it felt like we had to make a decision. It’s a very complex situation on multiple levels. This is really the last window that we had and we did what we felt was best for the team.”

Belichick said that there were “fair questions” to ask about the way the trade came together and the conversations they had about dealing Garoppolo, but that he wouldn’t be talking about the process. He also said he wouldn’t discuss any other potential roster moves as the team now has one quarterback on the roster and will presumably be bringing someone in to back up Tom Brady.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Kiser fans are like : "best front office ever!"

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I hope the ONLY reason we couldn't get Garoppolo is because Bill HAD to have Hoyer as a backup and we had nothing to offer in that regard. Our first 2rd pick or even our 2nd 1st rounder wasn't enough difference in buying power between the 49er's 2nd pick to make it worth NOT getting a backup in the deal (Assuming Hoyer is in the plan) We would have had to offer 2 picks or our No 1 overall( probably) to make the deal sweet enough.. I STILL would have done it if possible.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
Well this should all end disastrous. It's a bi-annual tradition for us Browns fans.

Dilly Dilly!

O
Legend
Legend
O
Where I'm at: I'm pissed. How the hell do you let one of the prime FA QBs walk right past you on the way to SF for so little!? We accumulated picks to get a QB... and JG is a QB we were targeting. You won't beat a 2nd round pick for a QB you wanted!?

Here's one thing that I think some people are missing. While they don't get the same type of press we do (or maybe they do and I don't hear it), but SF is just as much of a dumpster fire as we are. Their WR corps is right there with ours in terms of suckiness. Their line is way worse than ours because both their starting tackles are out. Their defense is bad.
So to theorize that BB wouldn't punish JG by sending him to Cleveland is glossing over the facts, I think.

The theory that I'm going with is that the main piece in all this is actually Hoyer. Brady is w/o a backup. They will want someone that can get up to speed quick. Hoyer has shown that he can do that, and he will do it faster than anyone else. They also worked it out so Hoyer would be released, and the Patriots would conveniently pick him up without affecting their compensatory picks. That's big and it doesn't even show up on the trade transaction.

I don't think BB was looking out for JG by deliberately avoiding Cleveland. I will say it's a possibility that JG didn't want to come here, but I doubt that Bill would avoid higher compensation if it was there. I think, at the end of the day, given the few facts we have, is that our FO was either totally not involved with the trade, or refused to beat SF's compensation... and quite frankly, both are completely inexcusable.

Demote Sashi, hire a GM. Keep analytics, but put our current roster decision makers in their place. We need a Holmgren, minus the pina coladas.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
Quote:
Well this should all end disastrous. It's a bi-annual tradition for us Browns fans.

Dilly Dilly!

Berea

The Pit of Misery.

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Oh, and pick up Hoyer before he clears waivers.

1. We'll need QBs anyway.
2. Play him or get a pick out of NE.

2.1. Start the search for an experienced person that will fill a GM-type role. Tell him that he can make the fun decisions, and Sashi will be there to handle the paperwork. Tell Sashi to watch and learn.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
Regardless we tried or didn't. Regardless what we offered. Regardless when Hue said he wanted JG. Regardless if the NE front office didn't send JG to us because JG didn't want to be here. Regardless if JG would decline an extension if traded.. regardless of it all - we're pathetic. We're pathetic however the cookie is crumbled.

It don't even matter what story or speculation is true anymore... we're just a pathetic team and pathetic leadership from the top down.

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 10/31/17 12:41 PM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Oh, and pick up Hoyer before he clears waivers.

1. We'll need QBs anyway.
2. Play him or get a pick out of NE.

2.1. Start the search for an experienced person that will fill a GM-type role. Tell him that he can make the fun decisions, and Sashi will be there to handle the paperwork. Tell Sashi to watch and learn.

Hoyer isn't in waivers is he?

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A friend of mine went to Wikipedia 2+ hrs ago and changed some words to First Energy Stadium. Wiki normally changes it back within minuets...But not this time. as of now... here is how it reads

FirstEnergy Stadium, officially The Pit of Misery, Home of the Cleveland Browns, is a factory of sadness in Cleveland, Ohio, United States, primarily for torture. It is the home field of the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League (NFL), and serves to destroy the hopes and dreams of unsuspecting Clevelanders. As the pain rains down upon these desperate souls, a chant of ‘’dilly dilly’’ can be heard coming from the owners suite

Wikipedia..First Energy Stadium

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

Quote:
.@JasonLaCanfora suggests on @CLETalkingHeads Jimmy G wasn't traded to #Browns because McDaniels and Caserio will be new Coach and GM.

https://twitter.com/WxShaw/status/925402691446112256

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Truth...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Quote:
.@JasonLaCanfora suggests on @CLETalkingHeads Jimmy G wasn't traded to #Browns because McDaniels and Caserio will be new Coach and GM.

LaConfora getting in on the speculation... late to the party, Jason.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
j/c:

Quote:

Maybe late, but that is more logical (and perhaps more speculative) than a lot of the nonsense being thrown out on here...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
j/c:

Quote:

bro....what if it's true though?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Man, we can’t even beat the bye week.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL..........that was funny.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: Swish
j/c:

Quote:

bro....what if it's true though?

Sure. Why the Hell not?

D
Legend
Legend
D
Who cares anymore, we're so pathetic. I got my seat belt on and a hand on my hat while I absorb this crap

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c....

Benjamin Allbright was just on 92.3FM and stated all the coaches know they are going to be fired at the end of the season.

Allbright also said that later today he will be releasing the emails that were sent to him last night from members of the Browns coaching staff irate about the Garoppolo trade.

This regime may not survive the season. Wow.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I'd offer all 3 #2s for Cousins before 4pm today.

You still have 2 first round picks. You take Barkley and the best WR or CB.

This is the only thing that will save this regime.

R
Legend
Legend
R
If he's releasing the emails the coaches must have authorized him to do so.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

They're still having pancakes and waffles.

Pancakes and waffles? That's a lot of starch! You should pick one or the other and never have them as a combination!

Why do you hate 'Murica?
I need both, and will add sausage gravy & biscuits.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Of course this means we will lose Greg Williams the one good coach we have. Say what you want about him. But our defense ranks in the top 10 with what he has to work with. Finally a good defensive coordinator and we are going to lose hin

Last edited by slick; 10/31/17 01:40 PM.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend
I think everyone is missing the larger takeaway here:

This is as clear a signal as any that the 49ers are planning to win at least one game this year, which clinches the top pick in the Draft for the Browns.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
If he's releasing the emails the coaches must have authorized him to do so.

Can't wait to read them rofl

Rookie
Rookie
Kaepernick is still out there waiting to be signed,

Results not Excuses Marty Schottenheimer 1984
Rookie
Rookie
Reports have it that the front office left @ 5:00 pm While the coaching staff stayed and continued to work! That's real dedication right there that all of the decision makers leave the night before the trade deadline! It wouldn't seem as important if we were undefeated or only sitting at 1 loss!

Last edited by 86hunter; 10/31/17 02:09 PM.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Rumors being what they are, the coaches should feel relatively secure regarding their tenure through this offseason.

If anyone is going to feel the hammer because of yesterday, it's the folks with final say over roster decisions.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 86hunter
Reports have it that the front office left @ 5:00 pm While the coaching staff stayed and continued to work! That's real dedication right there that all of the decision makers leave the night before the trade deadline! It wouldn't seem as important if we were undefeated or only sitting at 1 loss!

Don't be so hard on them. They have a hard enough time figuring out which top talent we should pass on and how many 4th through 7th round draft picks we should get for them.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
C
Legend
Legend
C
What a disaster.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: slick
Of course this means we will lose Greg Williams the one good coach we have. Say what you want about him. But our defense ranks in the top 10 with what he has to work with. Finally a good defensive coordinator and we are going to lose hin

Isn't it possible he would be retained? Couldn't the new brass, should the FO be gutted once again, ask him to return?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If Jimmy is smart (which he isn't) he freezes all potential trades. No need to handicap the new regime coming in. Then, he finds the best person out there to hire the next FO which in turn hires the next coach. Then they move on to the draft. All of this is a pipe dream of course since Haslam is a complete buffoon.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic
Originally Posted By: slick

Isn't it possible he would be retained? Couldn't the new brass, should the FO be gutted once again, ask him to return?

That doesn't happen very often.

Legend
Legend

He's black, takes a knee for equality, has appeared in a Super Bowl for SF, and has an 88.7 lifetime QB rating for a team arguably not that much better than the Browns. No thanks. notallthere

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 10/31/17 02:22 PM.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Rookie
Rookie
Your honest humor has me rolling on the floor, He is talented and has taken a team to the show! Who was the last QB we had that could or would compare to Kaepernick?
But yet we let our differences in opinion cloud our judgement on talent and who we sign! Its almost unbearable to be a fan of this Browns Organization anymore.

D
Legend
Legend
D

He's a POS, takes a knee for equality, has appeared in a Super Bowl for SF, then regressed to playing like a BUM ... and has an 88.7 lifetime QB rating for a team that was 6 or 7 -1 when he took over No thanks. thumbsup

Quoted for truth ... rofl

Bolded parts are from yours truely ....

Last edited by DiamDawg; 10/31/17 03:32 PM. Reason: Added bottom line ...

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

He's a POS, takes a knee for equality, has appeared in a Super Bowl for SF, then regressed to playing like a BUM ... and has an 88.7 lifetime QB rating for a team that was 6 or 7 -1 when he took over No thanks. thumbsup

Quoted for truth ... rofl
He got the POS right! No thanks!!!

Exciting football will be back in Cleveland this fall!
D
Legend
Legend
D
*L* ...

The bolded parts are changed by me ... thats why i bolded them ....

Guess I was to subtle on that one .... i’ll Go change it ...

Legend
Legend

Letter to Sashi Brown.

You have failed the Browns.

The fact that Jimmy Garoppolo was traded to the 49ers for a second rounder is unacceptable.

You have starved the Browns. You traded down to acquire picks. On the surface it seems like it might work except it has not. You passed on Wentz and in return you failed in securing impact players. You failed in recognizing talent. You passed on Dak and drafted Kessler.

You made success unachievable by not providing receivers for Kizer.

Hue wanted Garoppolo. You didn't support him. Garoppolo would have provided a young yet experienced quarterback with franchise level skills. You failed to recognize talent that was right in front of you. You made the decision to draft a quarterback when you lack the ability to evaluate the criterion that makes a quarterback.

Your experiment to build a competitive roster has lead to a record of 1-24 record.

The product on the field is unwatchable. Scoring touchdowns is taboo. There is nothing for the great fans of the city of Cleveland to cheer for.

You wanted a Browns culture. You have allowed talent to leave the team. Now the team is made up of practice squad players.

You have failed the organization and the fans of Cleveland.

The sooner you are showed the door the better

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Garoppolo Traded to 49ers

Link Copied to Clipboard