Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Legend
Legend
E
You all are so ridiculous. Let's all just have a witch hunt and burn him at the stake.

Instead of seeing the bigger picture.

No Craps Given
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen

Ok then it's still on Hue. Why do you give your rookie QB the freedom to change the play in that spot? IT'S JUST STUPID! AND STILL A FIREABLE OFFENSE!!!!!

There's the old quote: "A man has to know his limitations". Kizer just learned one of them.

I think it's awesome that Hue lets him change the play. Find out if he's good enough to start this year so they know if they need to pick a QB in the draft.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
E
Legend
Legend
E
It's going to be a long time before he is smart at changing a play. No 21 year old is gonna make better decisions than an OC. BUT yes it's awesome that he gets the chance to learn about that and try to do it. He is a bright kid, he will get the hang of it.

This season is a throw away season, so I don't care much if he screws it up.

No Craps Given
T
Legend
Legend
T
Post game thought. I liked hearing of the 3 tight end formations to one side, in the first half.

Maybe next year they will have 4 legit Tight ends on the roster, since they seem to be using all 3 in a first string role at least situaionaly.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
TJ Ward with the Buccaneers

TaSahun Gipson with the Jaguars

Mike Adams with the Panthers

Joe Haden with the Steelers

Buster Skrine with the Jets

Jordan Poyer with the Bills

All still in football and all if playing together would be a formidable secondary.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I am going to try and be real restrained about this, but I am so tired of all the hate directed towards Hue. People freak out if a person questions any move the FO makes, but Hue is taking needless attacks constantly.

Now, we have posters getting on him because he allows his qb to audible? LMAO........And if he didn't allow him to audible out of a bad play, they would freak about that.

And did someone say we should have kicked a FG w/15 seconds left in the half? Seriously?

That is my restrained, politically correct version.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Gipson recovered a clutch fumble that helped the Jags tie the game in the 4th. He actually ran the ball into the endzone, but was ruled down when he recovered the fumble. That dude was just always making plays near the ball.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Well Miss Eve ... all i can is if he didn’t know not to do that ... he has a LONG LONG LONG WAY to go and a TON TON TON TO LEARN ...

If he was going to do that ... he should have audibiled to the QB sneak on the play before when we had them all spread out ....

Since its all about learning and growing into the role ... how long u think its going to take before he learns throwing picks is a bad thing ... lord only knows hes had plenty of opportunities to learn that lesson ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
It was a dumb audible by Kizer, but Hue allowing him to audible is not dumb.

We haven't won a game this year. We won l last year.

This is a year to develop players.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Well Miss Eve ... all i can is if he didn’t know not to do that ... he has a LONG LONG LONG WAY to go and a TON TON TON TO LEARN ...

If he was going to do that ... he should have audibiled to the QB sneak on the play before when we had them all spread out ....

Since its all about learning and growing into the role ... how long u think its going to take before he learns throwing picks is a bad thing ... lord only knows hes had plenty of opportunities to learn that lesson ...

He didn't have an issue with throwing picks today did he? HMMMMMMM

Give the rook a break.

No Craps Given
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
It's going to be a long time before he is smart at changing a play. No 21 year old is gonna make better decisions than an OC. BUT yes it's awesome that he gets the chance to learn about that and try to do it. He is a bright kid, he will get the hang of it.

Wasn't last year a throw away season? The Browns are not going anywhere so yea the rest of this season is a learning experience for Kizer.

Here's some cause for concern. At ND he was criticized for making bad decisions like we saw today. Hopefully he will learn from this.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
- The Browns are the only team in NFL history to start back-to-back seasons 0-9

The Oilers and the early Buccaneers are the other two teams that started 0-9 in consecutive seasons. Not good company to be in, but we're not the only ones.

I was mistaken. It's good to have some company.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Wasn't last year a throw away season?

They're all throw away seasons.

E
Legend
Legend
E

Wasn't last year a throw away season? The Browns are not going anywhere so yea the rest of this season is a learning experience for Kizer.

Here's some cause for concern. At ND he was criticized for making bad decisions like we saw today. Hopefully he will learn from this.

This team is full of young players and it's going to literally take years before they become skilled at their craft. Like years. We got hosed when they cut everybody and didn't resign good players. It's like starting from square one expansion team.

No Craps Given
P
Rookie
Rookie
P
I read this from a fan (Plain Dealer) and agree 100%:
june471
This game was an example of how Hue should have played Kizer all year. Run the ball 35-45 times no matter what. Provide him with safer throws and allow him to pass downfield with the benefit of play action, then allow the defense to keep them in the game. This way Kizer should have only been throwing about 15-20 passes per game, which would have allowed him to see defenses and ready him for a larger workload in the second half of the season and into next season.

LAR did this with Goff last year and Goff was awful in the 7 games he started, but this year he is improved. Chicago is doing that with Trubiski this year. Their is no reason why, as we saw today, with Kizer in a controlled offensive environment this year that he can't thrive and improve significantly in his second season.

If Kizer flashes during these last 7 games, including 5 with Josh Gordon, Coleman and Britt, then the need to draft a QB in round one diminishes significantly too. With the GENIUS trade that Sashi pulled with Houston that appears will net another top 5 pick this year for the Browns, they could really narrow their focus to RB1(Bryce Love or Derrius Guice), CB1 (Minkah from Alabama) and then use the three 2nd rounders to move back into the 1st round or use them to draft a WR, FS and a developmental replacement for LT.

Kizer can be a competent to highly effective NFL starter and that in today's game is equal to a franchise QB because there are no Bradys, Brees' or Rodgers in the draft this year or in the NFL right now to get in FA either.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
98 out 100 john madden footbal video game players would have executed better than the Browns at the end of the half. We give our coaching staff millions of dollars, and they can't execute a plan 98 out of 100 humans that play John madden football can do.

Millions of dollars, any one of us could have coached that last drive. What do they do in Berea for 16 hours a day, ping pong? Side note, why are the Cleveland Browns above an offensive coordinator?

You could make the case we purposely trying to lose

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
V
Legend
Legend
V
And a situation can be explained dozens of times, but if a poster doesn't take the time to read it........it never happened and the coaches get the blame.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I am going to try and be real restrained about this, but I am so tired of all the hate directed towards Hue. People freak out if a person questions any move the FO makes, but Hue is taking needless attacks constantly.

Now, we have posters getting on him because he allows his qb to audible? LMAO........And if he didn't allow him to audible out of a bad play, they would freak about that.

And did someone say we should have kicked a FG w/15 seconds left in the half? Seriously?

That is my restrained, politically correct version.

I don't hate Hue I just think he's not a good coach. He's the coach of a team that so far has just 1 win in 2 yrs. I would say the attacks, as you called them, are justified.

The obvious choice was to pass the ball with 15 seconds left on the two yd line. The fact is he audibled into a dumb play.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Uhmmmm............I think the play call was going to be a pass to Devalve. It wasn't all that hard to see.

Btw----did you see the pass to Ebron? LOL

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D

Give the rook a break.

He did with about a minute something left in the game in the end zone but it didn't really matter.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Uhmmmm............I think the play call was going to be a pass to Devalve. It wasn't all that hard to see.

Btw----did you see the pass to Ebron? LOL

Yep. He has hands of stone all year except against us. I all so saw our freaking TEs drop passes.

E
Legend
Legend
E

Give the rook a break.

He did with about a minute something left in the game in the end zone but it didn't really matter.

And you know darn well that was not on Kizer. The receiver stopped his route and gave up. Kizer threw the fade where it was supposed to go.

No Craps Given
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D

Give the rook a break.

And you know darn well that was not on Kizer. The receiver stopped his route and gave up. Kizer threw the fade where it was supposed to go.

That happened right in front of me. Detroit's DB pushed off but of course nothing was called.

E
Legend
Legend
E

Give the rook a break.

That happened right in front of me. Detroit's DB pushed off but of course nothing was called.

So? What I said is correct.

No Craps Given
L
Legend
Legend
L
Right.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Eve, Kizer played well today. I am encouraged.

His audible was dumb and he should have thrown a back-shoulder pass on the pick. The db had over the top coverage.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Great game to watch for three quarters. Great beginnng, hung in there, even overcame the strip on DeValve and the INT. Kizer played a great game. Too bad he got hurt, putting Kessler in killed the Mo. Detroit is a good, fast team and we hung with them with a far inferior roster. Run game looked good because we stuck with it and got some rhythm going. Receivers over all had a decent game. Britt finally showed up. Garret screwed us. Ogbah looked good. Njokju has to catch those 50/50 balls. Three plays cost us this game, every one of those mistakes can be overcome. This game was a glimpse into what might be. Everyone needs to hold their water and we need a good off season. I can see winning a game or two before the season ends. Fun game to watch. For three quarters. We have to learn to finish.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Nice post, Cal! thumbsup

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D

Give the rook a break.

So? What I said is correct.

Yea I guess. It looked like he gave up but the DB pushed off him to get separation. It really didn't matter at that point.

Legend
Legend
Someth8ng else no ones mentioning ... a few plays earlier Higgins made a catch ... he was running to the sidelines to get out of bounds .. instead a few steps from the sidelines he decides to turn it up field for 2 yards .... MORONIC ... he needs to be smarter than that ....

What Kizer did was inexcusable ... so is what Higgins did ... STUPID .... STUPID ... STUPID ...

Kizer tries to do to much ... not sure how much football sense he has ... he can’t audible to a run in that situation ... he has to be smarter than that.

I noticed all the same things. This is what happens on young, inexperienced teams. I'm not saying that to excuse them... I'm just saying that they are the kinds of things that experienced teams either don't do at all, or can overcome if they do.

Every single one of these brain-dead moments is a potential kiss of death for Browns. With only 2/3 of an actual NFL team, everything needs to go just right for Browns to have an even chance.

The only thing we can do is wait it out, while they learn from their mistakes. At this point, I just want to see them grow- and by that I mean, don't make the same mistakes again.

You said, "Kizer tries to do too much."

Yup. Agree. 100%

Rookie enthusiasm. I think he'll learn how to dial it back. Every report I heard about him claims that he's smart and wants to learn.

One thing I don't want him to change: running for positive yards when the called play breaks down. That's a kind of moxie we haven't had much of in Browns players. If he's smart about his runs and doesn't take stupid risks at the ends of plays, those legs of his can be a useful weapon. Heck, just the risk of him taking off might be enough to force oppo D's to put a spy on him, freeing up some of our play book. He's a very good runner, and can turn bad situations into net positives. That's nice to have in our back pocket, you know?

I've seen a lot of doom & gloom around here, and for good reason. 0-Everything is never fun. BUT... over half the team is Rooks and Sophs. And the team is still under construction, about 2/3 built. I'm not upset this year, because my expectations were pretty reasonable to begin with. I expected 3-13, 4-12 (with luck). We just entered the 2nd half of the season and there's time to get there.

I just want to see evidence that they're learning and growing.
Baby steps.

Last edited by Clemdawg; 11/13/17 12:08 AM.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Ok here is what I liked.

We ran the ball well, Crowell had some nice runs. Kizer played well and had his best game in spite of what happened at the end of the first half. I like how the Browns never gave up and fought to the end.

The Browns out played the Lions most of the game and if it weren't for a some plays, might have won.

Legend
Legend
You all are so ridiculous. Let's all just have a witch hunt and burn him at the stake.

Instead of seeing the bigger picture.

I get it.
Can't believe how fast that rabbit hole opened.

Folks are always salty after a loss.
You're fine on this one.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
j/c

Were it week one or two, this could be considered a moral victory. But obviously it is beyond midseason. It's easy to say, "too little, too late,"

I saw enough positives that I think I'll actually be a tad bit surprised if we don't win a game or two. Kizer was better and we ran the ball well. Our receivers and secondary are still pathetic.

I'd still give Hue another shot. Much more concerned about him blowing our last timeout in the 2nd than the debacle at the goal line.

Legend
Legend
Nice post, Cal! thumbsup

He did a great job, didn't he?
I really enjoyed reading the game from Cal's seat. In many ways, he saw the same game I did.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Run game was finally used like Hue had said it would be. Nice to see Crowell and Johnson play well today.

Britt actually had a good day. Forgot how big he was. If he could get his head straight and keep it there, Gordon at the 1, Britt at the 2, and Coleman in the slot that might look pretty good.

Thought the OL played well today, didnt hear Drango’s name, thats a good thing right?

For the most part our TE’s sucked, I really thought Njoku’s ball he caught in the endzone and was ruled OB, was a TD. He dragged the tip of his 2nd foot in the field of play, IMO. Pretty ridiculous it wasnt looked.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Kizer played very well today, a great sign of improvement. If he can continue this trend, he may just make it. It should be noted that Detroit has an awesome secondary, its the best part of their team.

Our running game lives! Nice to see more iso runs with Crow, those are where he thrives. Duke is our best running back.

Cannot wait for Coleman. The hope of Gordan still gives me the tingles. Devalve and Njoku had an unacceptable game today.

I like Drango. He has obvious physical flaws, but he is very smart and knows how to play football. Our G-C-G play has been excellent recently. Bruce Banner can go back to the lab, because he cannot play football.

Ogbah and Garrett is going to be a deadly combo for years. The defensive line misses Ogunjobi quite a bit. Coley was great but a pretty average game for the rest.

We have the worst blitz schemes in the NFL. And Gregg loves to blitz. This team could thrive in a zone scheme where we rely on 4 guys to rush the passer. Because the Browns can get there.

Hate to see Collins go down.

We really need a true FS and a #1 Corner. We have two box safeties playing at the same time and a bunch of solid but unspectacular Corner play. With no one able to cover for mistakes, elitle QBs shred the team.

The wins are close, I feel. With some pretty poor QBs coming up on the schedule, the Browns may put some stuff together.

you had a good run Hank.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Kizer showed much better today. He made me think that with continued progress we may not need a QB in the 2018 draft, wouldn't that be awesome.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
1st String
1st String
D
Okay... my turn.

Kizer had his best game of the year and for the first time looked like an NFL QB. He game and stats would be better if his receivers would learn to catch a ball or two.

Our RBs and Offensive line had a solid day today. Both get a lot of credit for the run game and pass protection.

Kenny Britt actually showed up today. He was active and engaged. That is what is needed from him every game.

The other WRs were rough, very rough... (Higgins 50/50)

Either Coleman and/or Gordon will be an immediate improvement.

Our TE's are young... but they will be really good in the near future. DeValve had a bad play. Secure the ball.

The Defense played a good game. We need to improve our secondary and LB depth.

A true FS would be magic for this team. Peppers is a SS and is still learning the position. A lockdown corner would also be a big help.

Our second rotation on the D-Line need to keep contain better on the edges. We stuck our nose inside too much and got burned.

This was the game I was waiting for to get a true evaluation of this team. Our younger players are maturing and we can see where we need to target for next year's draft and FA's. If Kizer continues to play better for the remaining of the season, then we can switch personnel priorities. I would love to grab a top FS at the top 15 of the draft.

Just the dawg in me..........
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Kizer showed much better today. He made me think that with continued progress we may not need a QB in the 2018 draft, wouldn't that be awesome.

How many games would Kizer needs like today's game to convince people we don't need to draft a QB? I don't think he has enough time.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Dave Birkett‏
@davebirkett
11h11 hours ago
More
Replying to @davebirkett

Here's the full quote: "The Browns probably got better athletes than...25 out of the 32 teams in the league, probably. They got a lot of 1st-round draft picks. They got talent, they just haven’t won a bunch of games."

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 24 Lions 38 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard