Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1367993 12/08/17 01:58 AM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
It seems like we'll have an offensive coordinator next year. edromeo has posted several guys who he thinks might fit (Mike McCoy, Bill Lazor, Norv Turner, and some others). Any other ideas?

My guess is that we promote David Lee to offensive coordinator and then hire a new QB coach.

1st String
1st String
Maybe we promote Al Saunders.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
It seems like we'll have an offensive coordinator next year. edromeo has posted several guys who he thinks might fit (Mike McCoy, Bill Lazor, Norv Turner, and some others). Any other ideas?

My guess is that we promote David Lee to offensive coordinator and then hire a new QB coach.

On the offensive side of the ball Hue seems to want guys that he has worked with in the past.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Did I miss something...I know a lot has been going on in the last 18 hours. When was this revealed that we will be going to an OC???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

David Lee to offensive coordinator wouldn't surprise me.

Although another idea would be Ben McAdoo. I'd take him over Norv Turner

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 12/08/17 02:47 AM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: eotab
Did I miss something...I know a lot has been going on in the last 18 hours. When was this revealed that we will be going to an OC???

it hasn't yet. so far as I know Hue said "might".

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
E
Legend
Legend
E
Thanks, ok its from Hue's mouth then it has meaning.

As I said I find it hard to believe that he will give up play calling but I always thought he needed a young up comer OC to coordinate our execution. As HC it is impossible for Hue to put the attention to details in the daily Offensive structure.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BustkeviousMingo
Maybe we promote Al Saunders.
Yes, could be

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I think Hue will bring in another guy to help, but Hue will still call the plays.

I'm sure I'm the minority here, but I would prefer Hue to continue calling plays. No doubt he has to improve, but I think he can.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
E
Legend
Legend
E
I do not want the Playbook to change. The Vocabulary to change. If we bring in an experienced in control OC we change the system.

I think if we bring in an up and comer young guy who will be willing to be mentored by Hue and his system. Learn the vocabulary, learn the playbook. Be involved in the Game plan and most important be strongly involved in the execution of the play book and game plan. This way Hue can continue to call plays the young OC grow into the Offense and then maybe a couple years down the road without much change take over the play calling and the reigns.

For example...a guy like Chud back in the day when he was our TE coach but showed a future in Offense. Getting somebody like that to make the jump. From young position coach who is a good teacher. That is who I would want.

A Norv Turner type would bring in an entirely new system for all to learn.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
I do not want the Playbook to change. The Vocabulary to change. If we bring in an experienced in control OC we change the system.

I think if we bring in an up and comer young guy who will be willing to be mentored by Hue and his system. Learn the vocabulary, learn the playbook. Be involved in the Game plan and most important be strongly involved in the execution of the play book and game plan. This way Hue can continue to call plays the young OC grow into the Offense and then maybe a couple years down the road without much change take over the play calling and the reigns.

For example...a guy like Chud back in the day when he was our TE coach but showed a future in Offense. Getting somebody like that to make the jump. From young position coach who is a good teacher. That is who I would want.

jmho

Definitely agree.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
As I mentioned on the other thread, my favorite off that list is Bill Lazor, but that assumes Cincy lets him go.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

jmho

I don't want wholesale changes either...what I DO want is for Hue to playcall in a way that these inexperienced guys can handle.

Our offense is putrid and I don't think the only answer is time/experience. Square peg round hole will work if you beat the peg long enough...but that's not the way to go about it.

D
1st String
1st String
D

jmho

Agreed... right now stability is most important. Even it its only going to be just for one season. lol.

Just the dawg in me..........
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
As I mentioned on the other thread, my favorite off that list is Bill Lazor, but that assumes Cincy lets him go.
Cincy's looked MUCH better since he's been there calling them

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Can we possibly add a draw play , a screen play , use the middle of the field more ; just for starters .. Hue has started to hit the middle a little more lately ; give credit where credit is due ! Student body right and left , pull you guards an center from time to time and run the ball MORE .

Legend
Legend
is a screen that thing where the other team's RB generally kills us?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Hue has started to hit the middle a little more lately ...

Without looking at stats, that's the way it seems to me also. And our offense appears to be more effective for doing so...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yep

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
And Yep !

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
I think Hue will bring in another guy to help, but Hue will still call the plays.

I'm sure I'm the minority here, but I would prefer Hue to continue calling plays. No doubt he has to improve, but I think he can.

Agreed. I think Hue's play calling, schemes, and design are fine.

I also agree w/what tab said. Continuity is important. No need to bring in a guy who wants to change things. That would be more of a negative.

Hire someone who can dedicate more time to the position during practice, but keep everything else the same.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Folks have short memories ... VERY SHORT MEMORIES ..

They’ll be ICE SKATING in HELL before Norv ever works for the thief again ..

I almost passed out laughing when i read that suggestion ...

Legend
Legend

Just a guess but I'm thinking no way Norv returns to Cleveland after the way he was fired after one year in that Role.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

David Lee to offensive coordinator wouldn't surprise me.

Although another idea would be Ben McAdoo. I'd take him over Norv Turner

Wasn't McAdoo just fired by the Giants? Same guy right?

Not sure that's a good idea...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Can we possibly add a draw play , a screen play , use the middle of the field more ; just for starters .. Hue has started to hit the middle a little more lately ; give credit where credit is due ! Student body right and left , pull you guards an center from time to time and run the ball MORE .

Well a draw play is almost every run we do from Shotgun cause our QB simply cannot function AT ALL UNDER CENTER!!!

Screen Pass...when a team is playing run its hard to do a screen pass.

Usually its 3rd and long when teams dial up their blitzes and that is the best time to utilize a screen but 3rd and long its hard to expect that 8--13 yards we need for the first.

First things first - Stretch the field, get two deep, run the ball, pass under neath crossing routes, teams get desperate and then blitz too much that is when your Screen works.

btw just who have we faced that became DESPERATE to over due the blitz...why other teams have success against us. Cause we are almost certain desperate just about every game!

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You want to talk bassic's ?? Tell your pal Hue to keep a TE in to help Durango when your in third and long on your own 10 yard line !!! Back to back Sundays I watched that exact situation blow up because of Coaching .. Eo ; I admit I am not a Hue Fan .. I figure he dosn't call some plays and use certain parts of the field due to lack of trusting his players to execute properly .. Why are the players on the field ??

E
Legend
Legend
E
Cause we all know how well putting 2 guys into the route works...lol laugh

Durango has not been dismal for that kind of action but sure we could have a chip there. And what games do you watch cause MANY OCCASIONS I SEE our TE/s in there pass blocking.

Mostly it Devalve but I guess you missed the time Njoku just totally messed up and got Kizer killed (Rib Injury)

Players are on the field either due to injury or that is who we got...not too many veterans and a lot of young guys getting their feet wet.

Hue is not bad at all. Play calling is good. Routes have WRs open even our sucky ones.

Middle of the field ya think we don't have routes there?

So the two times we had guys in the middle of the field we hit on them 100% completion? We have guys in the middle of the field pretty much every time we have 3 or more in the route tree.

I don't like the success of ONE WIN...but its frustrating as heck you can see it during the games.

With seconds winding down the half and we are on the 3 yard line with no timeouts...your QB audibles to a QB sneak...come on man. Kizer is bad very bad and we have no other options as he is the best we got right now. How many play calls or execution that some blame Hue but is it really Hue.

When your QB is like 30% completion in the Red Zone and Under 30 within the 10 yard line. There is a reason why we are struggling to score points and it has nothing to do with HUE!

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know how keeping one , a, singular , TE on the left side to help the LT gives us a two receiver set ?? think there are 11 players on the O .. We will just have to differ on Hue as an OC .. And no I am not throwing Hue under the Bus in the Red Zone .. He do call some head scratches though ..

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Eotab, we talkin' about the same Hue that called 17 runs against the worst run defense in the NFL? And 40 pas plays agains a top rated pass defense? That guy?

Legend
Legend
I like that idea. Maybe Hue's clock wrangling improves in red zone. Just kick FG every time we get past the 30.Just dumber the closer we get to the end zone. Not crazy about Norv. Open to ideas post-sushi.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
Hue sucks

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Hue sucks

What an insightful post.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't know how keeping one , a, singular , TE on the left side to help the LT gives us a two receiver set ?? think there are 11 players on the O .. We will just have to differ on Hue as an OC .. And no I am not throwing Hue under the Bus in the Red Zone .. He do call some head scratches though ..

Can you tell us how many teams w/a right handed qb typically line up a TE on the left side?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Hue sucks

What an insightful post.

There's beauty in simplicity

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Can you tell us how many teams w/a right handed qb typically line up a TE on the left side?

Pretty much all of them but not on every play.

D
1st String
1st String
D
Hue sucks

Ha!!!! grin

Just the dawg in me..........
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks ; but don't bother , not worth it ..

If I were calling a 3rd and long play from my own 10 and my LT was having a hard time " I ' would keep my TE in hopes of buying some time and making the play successful

The situation occurred back to back weekends and the result was disastrous booth times .. I am not big on Hue for specific reasons and they keep adding up .. Now I would love for him to be successful !

V
Legend
Legend
V
Don't bother? Not worth it? I was trying to answer your question.

I'm going to ask you to watch some games this weekend and take note of how much more TEs line up on the right side than they do the left.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
You know what would make Hue a great play caller? Saquon Barkley in the backfield, Joe Thomas healthy, a new QB or an improved Kizer throwing to Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman and a second round WR and our improving young tight ends.
Hue has made plenty of mistakes, but he has not lost the team and he is not incompetent. Yes, get him an OC. But we don't need wholesale changes on the field. We need to nail the draft and let our young guys get better.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: The Big G
You know what would make Hue a great play caller? Saquon Barkley in the backfield, Joe Thomas healthy, a new QB or an improved Kizer throwing to Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman and a second round WR and our improving young tight ends.
Hue has made plenty of mistakes, but he has not lost the team and he is not incompetent. Yes, get him an OC. But we don't need wholesale changes on the field. We need to nail the draft and let our young guys get better.

Yes, we definitely need to get guys that fit Hue's system. He has said over and over he doesn't tailor his offense to the players, they need to fit it.

And people think we are losing due to lack of talent. If you're going to force your system on players it's going to take time. Much easier to adjust your system to the players. You might actually see a win if you did this.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Offensive Coordinator

Link Copied to Clipboard