Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Swish #1372580 12/13/17 02:58 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish

"You can't go in and thinks he's going to be a Joe Flacco that can go play action and throw seventy yards down field but if you fit an offense around him he can be special..."

--Tim Tebow

That pretty much eliminates him from Hue's consideration.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1372889 12/14/17 09:09 AM
Legend
Legend
Browns' John Dorsey reveals Chiefs had DeShone Kizer as No. 4 QB in 2017 draft; he's seen Baker Mayfield 6 times

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...ncart_big-photo

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I do not see what people see in Mayfeild. The NFL draft is almost entirely about projecting to the next level. Everytime I watch the Mayfield tape all I come away with is just how bad Big12 defenses are and #5 is lightning quick.

Wide open receivers, all kinds of time, rarely ever takes sacks or gets pressured and when he does get sacked it's because he is holding the ball (Browns fans know all about this), almost never throws into tight windows making it hard to gauge.

He is accurate throwing to wide open receivers and does make some nice throws into, I guess I would call it Big12 "tight windows". He can move a little, seems to do well keeping his eyes up field. I love his passion, I love his story being a walk on and winning the Heisman.

Look he put up gaudy numbers, but like I said the NFL is all about projecting to the next level. 6 foot tall, spread offense QB that has never really been hit or had to throw into tight windows. I have to pass. Some guys on the radio down here in Columbus are in love with Mayfeild, I just don't see the projection for taking where we are drafting.

That's just me.

BpG #1374017 12/16/17 03:31 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Agreed. I just finished watching the Texas game and he's just gifted all of his offense. The pockets are always clean. The WRs are always open. His game winning touchdown vs Texas was from a TE breaking free down the right sideline on a streak. I just don't see anything pro when I watch him. He's not even accurate for the size of his pockets.

CHSDawg #1374062 12/16/17 07:31 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think we will draft him. I think it will be either Rosen or Darnold.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I would be surprised if we drafted Mayfield ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Swish #1374067 12/16/17 07:45 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Swish
Y’all don’t think Mayfield could be like Romo?

Just throwing names out there based on size.

I think he will be quite better than Romo by the end, but who knows, we will have to wait and see.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I don't think we will draft him. I think it will be either Rosen or Darnold.

I think it's going to be Rosen without a doubt. Darnold will stay in school, unless he exposes Denzel Ward and the rest of the OSU secondary more so than Indiana did or Oklahoma. I think that's an unlikely scenario. I do think Jackson will shoot up draft boards once coaches can talk to him. His football IQ is very underrated. Mayfield might drop a little with this next game and at the combine, he's not nearly athletic as the Big 12 makes him out to be, although he might not. He's very charismatic and will probably be a great interviewee, I have even found myself rooting for him as of late. Josh Allen will probably be taken after 25. He's just too raw. People think he's a stone that needs to be polished, I see him as a marble statue within the confines of the raw marble block. Either way he's a 3+ year project. That's what I think of the top 4 prospects and what we'll do fwiw.

All Pro
All Pro
The good news is that Dorsey really likes the kid!! A good coach like Matt Nagy could have him starting much like we seen Pete Carroll do with Russell Wilson. I love this potential pick. We just need to make sure we get Barkley or Penny to compliment him!

Exciting football will be back in Cleveland this fall!
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I rewatched the OSU game and Baker only went 3-7 on throws over 15 yards. I was very underwhelmed by his performance. I can't believe OSU's defense rolled over for them.

CHSDawg #1376106 12/19/17 02:24 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
I rewatched the OSU game and Baker only went 3-7 on throws over 15 yards. I was very underwhelmed by his performance. I can't believe OSU's defense rolled over for them.

That's all you took away from that game was that he was 3-7 on throws over 15 yards and his performance was underwhelming?

You're right though....386 passing yards is pretty underwhelming. yeesh

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I do not remember a lot of details of the game, but that's a lot of yards for someone who only completed 3 passes over 15 yards. Sounds like a ton of YAC.

What I remember most of the game was some genius trying to plant a flag in AstroTurf. Played an entire game on the surface and still thought he could get a flag in there.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

That's all you took away from that game was that he was 3-7 on throws over 15 yards and his performance was underwhelming?

You're right though....386 passing yards is pretty underwhelming. yeesh

No, that was me being nice to him. He looked as athletic as Colt McCoy in that game. If Georgia respects Oklahoma's play action, then Baker will be in a lot of trouble during the bowl game.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Do we have any indication of if Baker Mayfield will attend the Senior Bowl? I can't really find anything.

A lot of voices I trust have said that if Carson Wentz declined the Senior Bowl, he likely would not have been selected 2nd overall.

I think Baker could dramatically increase his stock if he attends. Put some of those arm questions to bed, and show teams that the passion and enthusiasm is infectious to a whole new crowd.

I hope he does attend. That would go a long way towards ensuring that his name remains part of the conversation with Rosen and Darnold.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
OSU was seriously out Coached ..

BDU #1376592 12/20/17 09:57 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think it's different for Mayfield than Wentz. But I'd like to see Mayfield go.

I believe Wentz had been hurt much of the season but came back to play late. I also think there was a question about Wentz's level of competition and the Senior Bowl would help his cause. There's no doubt Mayfield can compete with the best of them.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
if anyone wants to watch his arrest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L6aZ7a8oIg

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
if anyone wants to watch his arrest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L6aZ7a8oIg

He appeared to be slow and easily tackled in the video.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

That's perfect. I think Baker Mayfield can only help his stock by going to the Senior Bowl. Now we just need Josh Allen to graduate so he can go too.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

This decision alone has boosted Mayfield's draft stock, in my opinion. There will be some big arms there at the Senior Bowl, and his willingness to stand side by side with them shows a lot of courage. Mayfield won't ever have a high-end arm, but if he can convince coaches that he meets the baseline, then he ticks a big box.

Looking forward to seeing what he's got.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I think Mayfield's arm is excellent. He is incredibly accurate in the pocket and on the run and he is significantly more athletic than some are giving him credit for. I like the fact that he was a baseball player growing up. In my opinion, QBs who played baseball growing up tend to be more accurate and are more mechanical sound throwing the ball (see Brees Wilson, Brady, etc.). I think the kid is a winner and will be successful in the Pros.

BDU #1377945 12/24/17 10:52 AM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BDU

This decision alone has boosted Mayfield's draft stock, in my opinion. There will be some big arms there at the Senior Bowl, and his willingness to stand side by side with them shows a lot of courage. Mayfield won't ever have a high-end arm, but if he can convince coaches that he meets the baseline, then he ticks a big box.

Looking forward to seeing what he's got.

Agreed. I think Mayfield's biggest assets are all personality based too. He's a hard worker and a natural leader. Going from walkon to starting QB at two different college programs is an insane feat. I think a coach will fall in love with Mayfield during the drafting process.

CHSDawg #1378887 12/25/17 12:32 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Mayfield is the best player available.

Browns need to recognize this and take him.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Mayfield is gonna have to answer a lot of questions in the Georgia game. I'm still not sure he can win from the pocket against a good defensive team. It's easy to look good against the Big 12, but another thing to play against good defenses that have NFL players on them.

He and Oklahoma beat Ohio State. Handily. TCU also twice. Also handily. Although someone posted Mayfield really didn't impress vs buckeyes because he threw for 380+ yds but completed only 3 passes thrown over 15 yards.

So I guess you could say he can beat a team any number of ways. Mayfield is an absolute beast from the pocket. He has been better from the pocket than any quarterback in the draft. And yes, he can make all the throws.

Apologies. I didn't want to turn this into a Baker Mayfield thread, but just commenting on some questions/comments.

Lol he beat TCU twice? Does the Hall of Fame know this? Let's be real here, Mayfield's toughest opponents were OSU, Texas and TCU in that order. That's the only place you'll find NFL talent or coaching. OSU wasn't even that good this year, Indiana torched them in the air (Laglow put up 30 more yards) and they got blown out by Iowa. Texas has a 1st round safety and a 6th round cornerback as their NFL talent. And TCU has Gary Patterson, who is a great coach, but has never had the talent to win.

You know yards after the catch count as yards towards a QB's total passing yards, right? Have you rewatched the game or going on a memory you made in September?

Legend
Legend
I am thinking Darnold. Maybe get a number of Abs to stay in school. Might have helped Kizer a good deal! I do not want this player. Avoid Manzielitis.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
T
Legend
Legend
T
Donovan McNabb was hated by Eagle Fans too, and he played for 10 years.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
I am thinking Darnold. Maybe get a number of Abs to stay in school. Might have helped Kizer a good deal! I do not want this player. Avoid Manzielitis.

No worries, Mayfield is nothing like Manziel.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

No worries, Mayfield is nothing like Manziel.

Manziel beats women, Mayfield just beats other teams.

#GMSTRONG
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
My notes for the Oklahoma-OSU game with corresponding time stamps. These are all of the plays where Mayfield threw the ball. Not all the plays where he dropped back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0saseQkDB8

0:13:38 Chris Worley doesn't check the TE and bites on a playaction. Mayfield throws a 6 yard pass. Runs for 3 yards.
0:14:40 Throws it right at the defensive end on a screen pass
0:15:50 Baker throws a 7 yard strike between two corners to get a first down on 3rd and 7.
0:17:35 3rd and 4. Baker has a wide open WR in the flat who he leads out of bounds on a high and away throw.
0:18:20 4th and 4. Baker overthrows a WR on a go route
0:24:10 1st and 10. Baker throws a 7 yard pass to a WR running a button hook. WR runs for 5 yards for the first down.
0:26:00 3rd and 5. Baker hits a WR sitting in a zone for 16 yards. WR runs for 3 yards. First down.
0:26:28 1st and 10. Baker gets pressured and bails out to his left. He throws a 9 yard lazer while on the move to the sideline. Dropped by the WR.
0:28:00 3rd and 12. Baker checks down to a WR running a crossing route for 5 yards. The WR runs for 3 more yards.
0:39:49 2nd and 7. Baker throws it to a TE coming off a double move for 10 yards. TE runs for 8 yards after the catch.
0:41:03 2nd and 8. Baker throws a screen pass behind the line of scrimmage. WR runs for 12 yards after the catch.
0:55:09. 2nd and 14. Baker throws a swing pass behind the los. WR runs for 29 yards.
0:55:59 1st and 10. Baker gets flushed out of the pocket and throws the ball away after surveying the field for an open WR.
0:56:35 2nd and 10. Baker throws it to his TE for 4 yards. TE runs for 20 yards.
0:58:07 2nd and 6. Baker throws a great ball between the LB and SS to his WR coming off a slant patern. WR drops the ball, although one could argue that the ball is behind the WR.
1:04:45 1st and 10. Baker throws a swing pass to his RB 4 yards behind the LOS. RB gains 8 yards on the play.
1:05:15 2nd and 2. Baker throws another swing pass to his RB behind the LOS. RB runs for 14 yards after the catch.
1:08:30 1st and 10. Baker tries a deep ball for his WR. Places it on the WRs back shoulder right next to the sideline. Dropped by the WR.
1:25:56 2nd and 6. Baker throws a 4 yard dart to his WR who is coming out of a button hook. WR manages to get 3 yards after the catch.
1:26:25 1st and 10. Baker throws a 17 yard dart to his TE/WR?. The ball is placed a bit behind him, which makes his TE have to turn around to catch and halt his forward momentum. Gets tackled immediately after.
1:27:00 1st and 10. Baker has a WR coming off a button hook, but the ball is deflected by the DT at the line of scrimmage.
1:27:35 2nd and 10. Baker finds his FB running a circle route out of the backfield for 9 yards. The back runs 26 yards for the touchdown.
1:41:20 2nd and 30, ball is on Ok's 2 yard line. Baker is able to find a check down for 8 yards.
1:42:00 3rd and 22. Baker escapes the pocket and throws the ball to his RB for 10 yards. RB runs for 8 more yards.
1:48:25 1st and 10. Baker escapes pressure throws a 13 yard pass to his WR. WR is able to scamper for 4 yards after the catch.
1:49:06 1st and 10. Baker escapes the pocket and delivers a 25 yard pass over the CB. WR takes it another 15 yards after the catch.
1:49:45 1st and 10. Baker finds his WR running into the endzone and throws a 20 yard pass to lead him there. Touchdown Oklahoma
1:59:35 2nd and 10. Baker finds his WR running a drag route across the LOS. Delivers the ball to him and the WR runs for 15 yards after the catch.
2:00:23 1st and 10. Baker rolls out of the pocket and floats a 37 yard pass down field into double coverage. Both OSU players run into Oklahoma's WR and get a PI call.
2:02:30 3rd and 3. Baker finds his WR on a slant route for a 5 yard strike.
2:04:11 1st and goal. Baker climbs the pocket! and fits the ball nicely between a corner and an incoming safety for 6 yards that leads his WR right into the endzone. Touchdown Oklahoma
2:09:26 1st and 10. Baker delivers the ball to his RB behind the LOS. RB gains 5 yards on the play.
2:10:40 3rd and 8. Baker has his WR on a go route and throws the ball 23 yards to his WR's back shoulder right next to the boundary line. WR makes off a crazy college catch to get the first down. If he leads him it's an easy touchdown.
2:31:40 3rd and 9. Baker throws it to his RB behind the LOS. The RB gains 8 yards on the play.
2:39:20 4th and 8. Baker throws it behind the LOS to his running back. Running back gets tackled behind the LOS.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
If I may make a suggestion...or I could send via PM....

You might think about list/sort the plays into categories that represent the skillset/traits that you/people isolate as important and that way it easier to quantify and compare against other teams and other prospects. Maybe include the standard plus/minus grade system for the plays.

I could post an example from another game....or if you don't mind i could chart this same game?

Last edited by edromeo; 12/27/17 11:04 AM.
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps1W535h8rg

Colin Cowherd on the Browns and Mayfield. Yeesh. I love Colin, but when it comes to the Browns, he's unwatchable.

edromeo #1379503 12/27/17 11:15 AM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I'd love to see some different formats. Originally, I just wanted to see how yards after catch affected his overall passing yards (The ball only traveled 197 yards that game). Like halfway through, I realized how bad this format was, but just didn't know a better way to organize it without going to excel and rewatching all of the plays. Not to mention there are a lot of variables to keep track of, so I'm not sure if they deserve its own column or not. I also have no idea how to do a passing chart outside of photoshop which seems a little labor intensive for 9 AM.

One of the reasons I included the times tamps was so that the plays could be referenced easier by people on the forum. As strong as my internet tone is, I am by no means an expert on QB play and I welcome conflicting ideas and value how other people see the game. So please post it in this thread instead of PMing me, as hopefully other people will see how the data is organized and tries there hand at either this game or another game.

Thanks, Ed.

CHSDawg #1379521 12/27/17 11:44 AM
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I'd love to see some different formats. Originally, I just wanted to see how yards after catch affected his overall passing yards (The ball only traveled 197 yards that game). Like halfway through, I realized how bad this format was, but just didn't know a better way to organize it without going to excel and rewatching all of the plays. Not to mention there are a lot of variables to keep track of, so I'm not sure if they deserve its own column or not. I also have no idea how to do a passing chart outside of photoshop which seems a little labor intensive for 9 AM.

One of the reasons I included the times tamps was so that the plays could be referenced easier by people on the forum. As strong as my internet tone is, I am by no means an expert on QB play and I welcome conflicting ideas and value how other people see the game. So please post it in this thread instead of PMing me, as hopefully other people will see how the data is organized and tries there hand at either this game or another game.

Thanks, Ed.
NP. Its nice just to talk football.

There are tons of different formats out there.

The most common way to grade film is to give each play +/- and to give notes like you did above.
Imho the easiest way couch/office chair 'scout' is to have a sheet that list the traits you want to quantify/assess and for each play. Then you check the box that marks the trait you want to quantify. Then at the end you'll have numbers from your observations (if you like %s). And you can reference the plays that illustrate the traits.

This thread has some examples:
https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.php/topics/1207770/1

I didn't want to use my own as an example but here it is until I find another one:
Clemson vs Auburn 2016

Under pressure plays: 10, 33, 43, 241, 328, 357, 617, 656, 800, 848,
muddy pocket: 126, 134, 258, 433, 953, 1007

Evasion plays: 38, 241, 258, 423, 739, 928
Plus displays of arm talent: 10,220, 310, 331, 458, 531, 630, 800, 848, 1007
Improvisation: 739
Plus progression/cov read: 258, 357, 408, 458, 1007
Movement throw: 33, 739, 909
Run instincts: 601

Held ball/missed receiver: 18
Off backfoot: 848
Off target: 18, 33, 126,134?, 157, 357, 408, 617
Bad Decisions: 43, 126, 656
Tipped: 712

CHSDawg #1379732 12/27/17 10:20 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Big players make Big plays in Big games.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Baker Mayfield spotted liking one of Josh Gordon's Instagram posts.

All Pro
All Pro
We will sign Alex Smith AND take Mayfield with our second first round pick.

GO BROWNS!
edromeo #1380087 12/28/17 03:40 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I started watching games ...

Just watched the OSU game ...

Man is he going to be hard to “evaluate” if all the games are like this one ...

Let me know if theres any games u want to chart like we did last year ed ...

U can pick the qb and the game(s) ... matters not to me .. i’ve watched one of Mayfields and 5 or 6 of Rosens ...

Let me know ...

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I've watched one of Mayfield's games...

I always try to start judging a prospect by watching one of the QBs "toughest" games..never highlights.

So much of what I saw Mayfield do in the game I watched, will not give the same result, playing in the nfl. Many of his completions, his offensive line gave him an "unrealistic" amount of time.

Got a lot of time before the draft and a lot of Mayfield video to watch...far from any conclusion.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
Im very torn on Baker. On one hand his collegiate stats are off the chart. When you compare him to JFF Baker is better almost all across the board. My worry is he will end up like JFF and let fame go to his head and not work on football. At the opposite end of that he is not from an affluent family and doesnt have the celebrity status that JFF had so he may not fall into that and he seems.to have great leadership qualities. He could very well be a generational type talent.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Baker Mayfield

Link Copied to Clipboard