Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Originally Posted By: jaybird
I don't think mayfield will be an amazing nfl qb... I'd put Jackson or Allen in front of him if we miss/pass on dwrnold or Rosen

If you asked me to pick one quarterback in this draft to bet my entire life savings on, I'm hitching my wagon to Baker Mayfield. He's a for sure thing.

He's anything but a sure thing. He has terrible footwork and plays in an offense that doesn't translate to NFL success very easily. The things that make him successful in college will be a much tougher go in the NFL. He seems to have the drive to be successful so anything is possible but it won't be an easy transition as you're making it, especially with his limited physical tools.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Originally Posted By: eotab
Watched Mayfield a lot this year...at least 6-7 games.

1. His OL is not that good as he is under pressure a lot.
2. I don't there is one QB in college that doesn't go downfield as much as Mayfield does.
3. I fell in love with him as he dropped back to pass and had somebody right in his face with the Bull in a China shop charge and he threw it while getting him to a WR on a 20 yard out with a man all over him. PERFECT throw to the outside hands of the WR where only he could make the catch. With no available follow through. I was sold after seeing that play, and it was one of many!

jmhobservation.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Watched Mayfield a lot this year...at least 6-7 games.

1. His OL is not that good as he is under pressure a lot.
2. I don't there is one QB in college that doesn't go downfield as much as Mayfield does.
3. I fell in love with him as he dropped back to pass and had somebody right in his face with the Bull in a China shop charge and he threw it while getting him to a WR on a 20 yard out with a man all over him. PERFECT throw to the outside hands of the WR where only he could make the catch. With no available follow through. I was sold after seeing that play, and it was one of many!

jmhobservation.

I hear you, we all want THAT QB but if he's told not to go downfield after five ints in the first game? (because that kind of "fling it" style doesnt translate well into the NFL usually because the players are so quick) Then will he be the guy we want? Just a thought.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Originally Posted By: Jester
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
We will draft Sam Darnold.

That is what I am hoping for.

Based on what Rosen is reported to have said about the Browns ... I hope so too. I have not seen much of Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen so .... I am not for sure saying Darnold, more so 'not Rosen' based on what he has said.

Not drafting Rosen based on his desires would be so Browns.

Draft the best quarterback, no matter what he says. He'll report to the team.

Agreed, Rish, but he's prob not the best for us, we need a big guy who can pass, not a small guy who can pass. I think though that the new GM will get us a QB then we will see if Hue has the stuff.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: BDU
Yeah lets not even consider him cause after all in a heated game that the other team was giving it to him (wouldn't shake his hand before the game with the captains toss) Late hitting him. So after he put a nail in their coffin he grabbed his junk...oh no the horror.

It wasn't just hitting him late, it was intentionally squaring up late and aiming to hit him in his throwing shoulder. It was literally a clear and blatant attempt to injure Mayfield.

My big frustration is that Mayfield has been dragged through the mud for grabbing his crotch, but the disgusting antics from the Kansas players is just happily accepted as part of the game.

The footage shows the Kanas players...

1. Refusing to shake hands at the captains midfield meeting. When your team captains are making unprofessional displays, it speaks volumes.

2. Consistent abuse and trash talk that went beyond anything normal. Baker had a players cussing him out on damn near every play.

3. Multiple late/cheap shots on Mayfield. One on a touchdown, another from Hansan Defense that, if I was an NFL GM, would have taken him off my draft board due to his deliberate attempt to injure another player.

They do all that, and Mayfield dominates them on the field before grabbing his crotch and says FU. Good on him.

I can understand people being disappointed in general with that kind of behaviour on the field, but I can't for the life of me figure out why KU gets a pass on that disgusting behaviour but Mayfield is the bad guy.

I haven't followed this, it reminds me of some thing Brett Favre might do.
But I remember Brett Favre was always smilely and friendly , overly friendly, to the defenders who actually had a chance to injure him,
But when his Packers Cut him and moved on to Rogers,

I remember Brett Farve, at near 41 years old, going back and throwing 3 touchdowns for the Vikings, against the Packers, in a real stick it to you kind of move.

Legend
Legend
j/c

looking for alignment?

GM - Dorsey
HC - Taub
QB - Alex Smith

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
love this:

Video

I love this one better....

I think it shows that he's slow and easily tackled. lmao

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
love this:

Video

It's pretty amazing. As much as people want to launch a character assassination on the kid for a couple of minor mistakes, they can't take away from the fact he is respected by everyone involved with the Sooners program for his leadership and work ethic.

It reminds me of when Dak Prescott got done for a DUI pre-draft and people wanted to paint him as having character issues, despite his clear positives.

You don't earn that kind of respect if you're a douche.

D
1st String
1st String
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
love this:

Video

I love this one better....

[color:#FFFFFF][/color]

I think it shows that he's slow and easily tackled. lmao

The cops are all ex Oklahoma State Linebackers and safeties. J/K. Nice form tackle.

Just the dawg in me..........
Legend
Legend
If that had been Watson he’d have gotten away.

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: cle23
I don't think mayfield will be an amazing nfl qb... I'd put Jackson or Allen in front of him if we miss/pass on dwrnold or Rosen

If you asked me to pick one quarterback in this draft to bet my entire life savings on, I'm hitching my wagon to Baker Mayfield. He's a for sure thing.

He's anything but a sure thing. He has terrible footwork and plays in an offense that doesn't translate to NFL success very easily. The things that make him successful in college will be a much tougher go in the NFL. He seems to have the drive to be successful so anything is possible but it won't be an easy transition as you're making it, especially with his limited physical tools.

huh? what limited physical tools?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Precisely.

Fans will be fans, but there's no doubt Mayfield will have a very successful NFL career.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

Anyone see that Earl Thomas essentially confirmed he'll be a free agent by running down the tunnel following the Cowboys/Seahawks game and saying to Jason Garrett, "Come get me"?

The Cowboys are projected to have only $15M in cap space with a bunch of players to sign. Over the next few seasons, they've got a bunch of guys who are going to earn huge contracts. They don't have the kind of money needed to sign an Earl Thomas calibre player.

A nice start towards fixing the Browns would be to throw some money at Earl Thomas.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Precisely.

Fans will be fans, but there's no doubt Mayfield will have a very successful NFL career.

"No doubt"

LOL

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Precisely.

"No doubt"

LOL

Barring major injury or death, of course.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree. There is certainly doubt. I don't think his character is the issue it's being made out to be, but he's far from a lock for NFL success.

When it's all said and done, I'm not even convinced he's going to be a first round pick.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Precisely.

"No doubt"

LOL

Still. Literally every player drafted has some percentage of doubt. You think Baker Mayfield will be very good. That doesn't make it so.

O
Legend
Legend
O
That would be a good get. I was thinking we would address FS early in the draft, but Thomas would DEFINITELY work as well.

If we got Thomas, that would free up a high pick for another playmaker.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
A nice start towards fixing the Browns would be to throw some money at Earl Thomas.

There are not many more players I would like to have than Earl Thomas. I would say there is nearly a zero percent chance he would sign with us no matter how much money we offered him.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Precisely.

"No doubt"

LOL

Still. Literally every player drafted has some percentage of doubt. You think Baker Mayfield will be very good. That doesn't make it so.

That's fair... There's little doubt that Mayfield will have a very successful NFL career. Better?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Precisely.

"No doubt"

LOL

That's fair... I think There's little doubt that Mayfield will have a very successful NFL career. Better?

Best.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

There are not many more players I would like to have than Earl Thomas. I would say there is nearly a zero percent chance he would sign with us no matter how much money we offered him.

I agree it is a long shot, but if the Browns are offering $20M more over the duration of his contract than anyone else, with more guaranteed money, it can be hard to turn that down.

For a player with his leadership, profile and talent, that kind of overpayment is worth it, in my opinion.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Precisely.

"No doubt"

LOL

That's fair... I think There's little doubt that Mayfield will have a very successful NFL career. Better?

Best.

There's proof he's going to be good, but I guess there's going to be those who ignore it. Oh well...

C
Legend
Legend
C
There's proof he's going to be good, but I guess there's going to be those who ignore it. Oh well...

There's proof that all the QBs will be good. Also, where did I say Baker Mayfield would be bad (or not)?

Legend
Legend
you fix the browns this off season by:

resigning crow
release Taylor
extend McCourty
sign the best CB on the market
sign the best RT on the market

then in the draft:

trade back with the giants to 2, grab the best FS on the board at #2, then draft Lamar Jackson with the #4 or #5 pick.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
There's a long distance between evidence that he may be and proof that he will be. Looks like you have some traveling to do.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
When Baker gets here, it will be the highest selling jersey of all time!!

Exciting football will be back in Cleveland this fall!
T
Legend
Legend
T
I think keep Taylor, keep any Cb who can play who you can. And it won't cost you a pick to keep him.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: TONY

Yeah, all the kids will spend a boat load of money before he actually proves or disproves anything.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro

Yeah, all the kids will spend a boat load of money before he actually proves or disproves anything.
I think he will be much better than Dak and look a lot like Russell Wilson with Drew Brees type ability...

P
Legend
Legend
P
This certainly makes me think you haven't watched Dak play lately and that maybe you don't realize that Russel Wilson doesn't look as good as he used to either.

You do understand that Mayfield comes from a system that leaves a lot of question marks left to be answered as to how he will transition into the NFL, right?

#gmstrong
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: cle23

huh? what limited physical tools?

Limited size, limited speed for the style of play, limited arm strength. Mayfield is a great college player, and could very well be a great NFL player, but there are some hurdles that are going to be tough for him to overcome.

He isn't Russell Wilson, but he plays like it in college. He can't play like that in the NFL because he isn't nearly as physically gifted as Wilson. He will have to adapt his style of play, which is really hard to do. Changing what has made you successful is hard to do and still be successful.

All Pro
All Pro
This certainly makes me think you haven't watched Dak play lately and that maybe you don't realize that Russel Wilson doesn't look as good as he used to either.

You do understand that Mayfield comes from a system that leaves a lot of question marks left to be answered as to how he will transition into the NFL, right?
If we keep Hue, we are doomed no matter what. He corrupts everything. He should be 0-32 but got lucky with Meder blocking that field goal. He will try to make the QB fit his goofy system instead of catering to his strengths. With Matt Nagy or Matt Lafleur as head coach Baker will flourish and will light it up. He tremendous feet and will easily put up big numbers. Great accuracy, touch and spirit.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Precisely.

No doubt. LMFAO.

I need to pin this sucker so I can pull it out in about 3 years when he's no longer in the league. Maybe he can reminisce about his playing days with Johnny.

No doubt. Give me a break. EVERYONE in the draft has "doubts".

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

As it was with JFF.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

As it was with JFF.

That experiment turned out pretty well for us. Might as well go back to that well. After all - draft day is our super bowl and jersey sales are our gauge of success. notallthere

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
M
Legend
Legend
M
JFF Vs Baker Mayfield??

I haven't watched any games of any of the top 4 (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield or Allen) .... but did a quick google and found this breakdown of Mayfield vs JFF. It seems a pretty decent breakdown.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted By: GraffZ06
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

As it was with JFF.

That experiment turned out pretty well for us. Might as well go back to that well. After all - draft day is our super bowl and jersey sales are our gauge of success. notallthere
Come on, Pettine hated Johnny and never put him in a position to win. If we had Johnny this year, we would have 5-8 wins.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Come on, Pettine hated Johnny and never put him in a position to win. If we had Johnny this year, we would have 5-8 wins.

What.

Legend
Legend

What.

I think he means if the other teams qb was as drunk as ours was.

#GMSTRONG
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Fixing the Browns this off season...

Link Copied to Clipboard