Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Legend
Legend
yea.

man bro, i'm still keeping my excitement on lock down, but we have got to hope this new group is gonna get Hue some damn players to work with.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wolf most likely has permission to walk.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You mentioned something awhile back about how you were in the minority about keeping Hue. I responded to you, but not sure if you read it.

We are not in the minority, bro. Most people recognize who was most responsible for our record. Hell, the guy responsible for it even admitted to it from the get-go.

Hue had a good rep before he got here. He is respected in the NFL. We now have some good guys in place in the FO.

The real key is if they can all work together. From what has been said, it appears they will. Of course, that could change and we've seen that crap before.

I just think that this is a better shot because all of our guys are now football guys who share similar visions as opposed to idiots like Sashi and Farmer.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I live here in Wisconsin and heard the Packers press conference. They were asked about Wolf and response was along the lines of we hope he returns but he is free to move on if he has an offer. Obviously those weren’t the exact words but paraphrasing.

The fact is he was being groomed for the job for the last couple of years but for whatever reason he was passed over. I’m sure it’s a pride thing.

Last edited by ttimothygman; 01/08/18 11:10 PM.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: Vambo
Browns' GM John Dorsey will interview Packers exec Eliot Wolf Tuesday
Updated 9:40 PM; Posted 9:21 PM

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/01/browns_gm_john_dorsey_wants_to.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns new GM John Dorsey could be bringing even more of that Packers magic to Cleveland.

Last week, he hired former Green Bay senior personnel executive Alonzo Highsmith as a vice president in the personnel department. Now, he hopes to add Packers director of football operations Eliot Wolf in some capacity.

He'll interview Wolf on Tuesday, a league source told cleveland.com.

Awesome!

I have no idea how this will work under league rules......I'm clueless on that type of thing.........but, Wolf would be a great addition to an already great staff of Dorsey, Hue, and Highsmith.

I live here in Wisconsin and heard the Packers press conference. They were asked about Wolf and response was along the lines of we hope he returns but he is free to move on if he has an offer. Obviously those weren’t the exact words but paraphrasing.

The fact is he was being groomed for the job for the last couple of years but for whatever reason he was passed over. I’m sure it’s a pride thing.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ttimothygman

Kind of what I figured. It will be interesting to see how they fit him in here.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for the info.

Legend
Legend
We will see.

Even football guys don’t agree. We’ve seen football guys break up in front offices with their coaching staffs before.

Let’s hope this marriage works. 50% of all marriages fail.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
I know bro. Just trying to bring some balance to all the negative BS from the Sashi lovers. LOL

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
This makes me nervous about Berry. He's a gem. Hope he's not on his way out.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Berry had no experience in evaluating collegiate talent. It was another dumb ass hire Sashi.

His experience was in pro scouting. He can maybe stay in that capacity, but it won't be a big loss if he is fired.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah because they play a totally different football in college. It involves riding around on brooms and sticky wickets. There isn't any tackling involved and runners must be chastised into submission.

A pro scout probably wouldn't be able to tell that he was watching football.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Berry had no experience in evaluating collegiate talent. It was another dumb ass hire Sashi.

His experience was in pro scouting. He can maybe stay in that capacity, but it won't be a big loss if he is fired.

Actually, that's not true. Berry also had experience evaluating collegiate talent before he arrived.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Love your snarky attitude, but I believe there is a distinct difference between evaluating collegiate talent as opposed to NFL talent.

If you want me to explain why.........I will. If you are just interested in starting yet another fight........then forget it.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

Actually, that's not true. Berry also had experience evaluating collegiate talent before he arrived.

Did he? Can you provide some proof of that? I will apologize if you can. I could have sworn he was in charge of Indy's Pro Scouting Department. I could be wrong, though.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Love your snarky attitude, but I believe there is a distinct difference between evaluating collegiate talent as opposed to NFL talent.

If you want me to explain why.........I will. If you are just interested in starting yet another fight........then forget it.

I would love to hear the explanation. It would be enlightening to see how you explain how all of these dumbass pro scouts went on to be GM's scouting college prospects.

I can give you a list of GM's if you are interested. If you are just interested into continuing the fight you are trying to start now, then forget it.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He was. He also assisted with collegiate scouting as mentioned in his Browns bio. So I wouldn't say he had no experience.

I'm not saying he was the most experienced, heck he's only what 29?

Were there more qualified candidates? Obviously, but I don't think that makes this a horrible hire by Sashi. I'm sure Berry will be around in the NFL for a long time and will eventually earn a GM job.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Not sure what you are asking. You say you would love to hear the explanation, but then you seemingly mock it before I even make it.

I'm confused.

Not really.............LOL...........

Btw............if anyone else wants to hear my "opinions" on the differences, let me know. I'll gladly express my "opinions" on the difference between scouting the two different levels.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Do you have a link for his collegiate scouting experience?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Only from the Browns website...

Link

V
Legend
Legend
V
Where in that article does it say that Berry was a in charge of evaluating collegiate talent?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It doesn't, it says he assisted with collegiate scouting.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The only thing different between Pro Scouting and College Scouting is the scoring system. (Although we did have a coach that tried to change that at one time). Projecting how a college prospect will do in the NFL is difficult, but you are still comparing a player to his peers at either level.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Report: Browns were willing to deal No. 4 overall pick, more for Jimmy Garoppolo

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-browns-willing-deal-no-4-overall-pick-jimmy-garoppolo-001050153.html

Jason Owens
Shutdown CornerJan 8, 2018, 7:10 PM

Another layer of the onion from the bombshell ESPN report on discord in the New England Patriots organization got peeled away Monday.

The Cleveland Browns were willing to deal the No. 4 overall pick in the upcoming NFL draft “and other goodies” to the Patriots for Jimmy Garoppolo, the Cleveland Plain-Dealer reports.

The Patriots ended up dealing Garoppolo two days after the Browns reached out to negotiate, the report details. The Patriots told the Browns that Garoppolo wasn’t available for trade.

Yahoo Sports’ Charles Robinson backed up the report’s assertion.

Charles Robinson
✔
@CharlesRobinson

I asked one of Belichick’s guys about this shortly after the trade. Was told in no uncertain terms would Bill ever deal Jimmy to the #Browns. Not in 100 years. https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/950466406683987969
4:45 PM - Jan 8, 2018

In the end, the Patriots didn’t negotiate with anyone other than the 49ers, according to the report.

The ESPN report detailed that the Garoppolo deal with the 49ers resulted as a “clear mandate” from team owner Robert Kraft to head coach Bill Belichick, who was reluctant to part with his prized backup quarterback.

Kraft denied this report.

“I assumed once the season started, we’d talk again at the end of the season about it,” Kraft told The MMQB. “The next time I spoke with Bill about it was the Monday before the trade deadline. He called me on that Monday and said he got a deal with San Francisco, Jimmy for a second-round pick and [quarterback] Brian Hoyer. Turns out they had to cut Hoyer and then we got him. But really, this was basically a second-round pick and Brian Hoyer for Jimmy. Bill asked me if I was OK with this. I was really taken aback a little bit. I wanted to think about it. I talked to Jonathan, who was okay with it, and I called Bill back and said, ‘OK.’”

Regardless, with Tom Brady still playing at an MVP level and Garoppolo approaching the end of his contract, the Patriots had a decision to make, and they stuck with Brady.

If they truly turned down a chance at the first-round pick the Browns had acquired from the Houston Texans only to accept a considerably less valuable second-round pick from San Francisco, it’s a head-scratcher.

The Patriots have won five Super Bowls in seven appearances during the Brady/Belichick era in large part because they almost always get the better end of transactions. That they wouldn’t negotiate with the Browns or any team other than the 49ers is a stunner and out of character for a normally shrewd organization.

M
Legend
Legend
M
It doesn't, it says he assisted with collegiate scouting.

Lol...It's started from "no experience" to "in charge of".

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He's fine.

I just want to keep Berry. We've found talent the last two years and I think Berry was instrumental. Ogbah, Ogunjobi, pro bowler Schobert, Kindred, Boddy-Calhoun, Coleman and Coleman. Sashi gone is fine, but don't get rid of Berry. Those who are happy we are blowing up our front office boggle my mind. But if this is necessary because Sashi isn't a football lifer, so be it. Keep Berry.

M
Legend
Legend
M
He's fine.

I just want to keep Berry. We've found talent the last two years and I think Berry was instrumental. Ogbah, Ogunjobi, pro bowler Schobert, Kindred, Boddy-Calhoun, Coleman and Coleman. Sashi gone is fine, but don't get rid of Berry. Those who are happy we are blowing up our front office boggle my mind. But if this is necessary because Sashi isn't a football lifer, so be it. Keep Berry.

I agree with you. I like the talent we've built the past two years while accumulating more picks. Still more to do.

If Wolf comes on board (and I'm not saying I don't like him or anything) with the current addition of Dorsery and Highsmith, I find it tough for Berry to stay on the staff. These changes are usually inevitable, especially for people leading scouting depts.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
1 and 31.

I realize that people blame the record on different sides. I think that all of the parties involved share some of the responsibility when we are talking about the record of the team.

With that said, I think that the FO is far more responsible for the team's record than the coaching staff is.

Posters can quibble over the semantics of my prior posts [not you] but Haslam brought in multiple guys who lacked NFL experience.

I think our new guys have adequate experience and that we will soon better results on the field.

We'll see.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
“The next time I spoke with Bill about it was the Monday before the trade deadline. He called me on that Monday and said he got a deal with San Francisco, Jimmy for a second-round pick and [quarterback] Brian Hoyer. Turns out they had to cut Hoyer and then we got him. But really, this was basically a second-round pick and Brian Hoyer for Jimmy. Bill asked me if I was OK with this. I was really taken aback a little bit. I wanted to think about it. I talked to Jonathan, who was okay with it, and I called Bill back and said, ‘OK.’”

This still sounds fishy...did Bob Kraft know that the Browns were offering a very high first round pick for Garoppolo OR NOT?

If Kraft turned the Browns offer down, so be it..just admit it!

If the Browns never made such an offer, just tell us that the Browns failed to offer their first round pick from the Texans.

It seems that some management folks are a bit reluctant to tell the truth about what happened. It may be that the Browns did make the offer to trade the Texans first round pick for JG and Kraft and Belichick simply snubbed the Browns offer completely.

Again, something sounds fishy..like someone doesn't want to tell the truth about how they handled the JG trade.

It may be that the Patriots simply snubbed the Browns offer of a high first round pick and maybe more for JG.

It may be that Sashi did do all he could to make the deal happen, that included making sure the Browns contacted both owner Bob Kraft and Belichick about our trade offer of the Texans first round pick and more for JG.

Given the fact that Sashi was out the door a month later gives the impression that our front office failed to do enough to satisfy Haslam.

...I would like to know.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:
“The next time I spoke with Bill about it was the Monday before the trade deadline. He called me on that Monday and said he got a deal with San Francisco, Jimmy for a second-round pick and [quarterback] Brian Hoyer. Turns out they had to cut Hoyer and then we got him. But really, this was basically a second-round pick and Brian Hoyer for Jimmy. Bill asked me if I was OK with this. I was really taken aback a little bit. I wanted to think about it. I talked to Jonathan, who was okay with it, and I called Bill back and said, ‘OK.’”

This still sounds fishy...did Bob Kraft know that the Browns were offering a very high first round pick for Garoppolo OR NOT?

If Kraft turned the Browns offer down, so be it..just admit it!

If the Browns never made such an offer, just tell us that the Browns failed to offer their first round pick from the Texans.

It seems that some management folks are a bit reluctant to tell the truth about what happened. It may be that the Browns did make the offer to trade the Texans first round pick for JG and Kraft and Belichick simply snubbed the Browns offer completely.

Again, something sounds fishy..like someone doesn't want to tell the truth about how they handled the JG trade.

It may be that the Patriots simply snubbed the Browns offer of a high first round pick and maybe more for JG.

It may be that Sashi did do all he could to make the deal happen, that included making sure the Browns contacted both owner Bob Kraft and Belichick about our trade offer of the Texans first round pick and more for JG.

Given the fact that Sashi was out the door a month later gives the impression that our front office failed to do enough to satisfy Haslam.

...I would like to know.

Belicheck has full authority over NE's roster. It's in his contract. Kraft could fire him and take the trade, but we all know that isn't happening.

B
Legend
Legend
B
You are assuming Bob Kraft is all that involved with trades.

Belicheck didn't want to deal with us. End of story.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I don't believe that for a second, BB would sell his momma for the right price, and not just BB but almost all HC's and FO's would trade whoever to us for the right price, this is a bottom line business!!! $$$$$$ ... JMHO superconfused

Last edited by PastorMarc; 01/09/18 11:48 AM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
The only thing different between Pro Scouting and College Scouting is the scoring system. (Although we did have a coach that tried to change that at one time). Projecting how a college prospect will do in the NFL is difficult, but you are still comparing a player to his peers at either level.

So seeing how a player produces and plays in the NFL is the same thing as being able to know how a player in college will transition into the NFL and how his talent will transfer at the next level. Except of course in how they're scored. Got it. I mean that's BS, but I got it. lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Exactly it's not rocket surgery.

or is it brain science?

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

I don't believe that for a second, BB would sell his momma for the right price, and not just BB but almost all HC's and FO's would trade whoever to us for the right price, this is a bottom line business!!! $$$$$$ ... JMHO superconfused

Why would you alienate a team or a company for just 2 cents?

You have a complete wrong idea on how business is done, we have long moved from the Fayol and Ford theories, or basic utilitarian thought.

BB called Kyle to make the trade. BB has high respect for JG, and for him was a much better deal to show he can take care of his people, than just trade him for 30 coins of silver.

NE does not even need to draft to be a contender each year. Drafts are for losers like us.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Why would you alienate a team or a company for just 2 cents?

You have a complete wrong idea on how business is done, we have long moved from the Fayol and Ford theories, or basic utilitarian thought.

BB called Kyle to make the trade. BB has high respect for JG, and for him was a much better deal to show he can take care of his people, than just trade him for 30 coins of silver.

NE does not even need to draft to be a contender each year. Drafts are for losers like us.

Thats why they give picks to ALL 32 teams, right ... superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I didn't get your point...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Quote:

I already knew you were living in a fantasy island... no need to post pics

Legend
Legend

"Good bye, Hue. It was a shame that you couldn't fulfill the misguided fantasy that the 1-31 coach only needed more good draft picks to be successful".

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The New Front Office

Link Copied to Clipboard