Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Pretty amazing stat here. In New Englands' last 7 Super Bowls, the Patriots have not scored a point in any of the first quarters:
https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/1/24/169...-bill-belichick

Quote:
The New England Patriots have been an offensive juggernaut for years, but they’ve always failed to get off to a strong start in the Super Bowl under head coach Bill Belichick.

In their previous seven trips to the Super Bowl (2001, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2014, and 2016, just because I wanted to list them), the Patriots have scored a whopping zero points in the first quarter. In fact, on their 13 drives that start and finish in the first quarter, the Patriots have scored -2 points because they gave up a safety to the New York Giants in Super Bowl XLVI.

On those 13 drives, in addition to that safety, the Patriots punted 10 times, missed a field goal against the Carolina Panthers, and threw an interception against the Seattle Seahawks.

Zero points in the first quarter. That’s brutal and the Patriots need to get off to their first fast start in the championship game against the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl LII.

Fortunately for the Patriots, they always seem to generate some offense in the second quarter. On their five drives that started at the end of the first and carried into the second frame, they’ve scored 10 points (and also had that fumble against the Falcons), and on their 19 drives in the second quarter they’ve scored seven touchdowns and a field goal, in addition to missing a second field goal against the Panthers.

The same issue of a slow start affects New England in the second half, although it’s not as severe. They’ve scored 23 third quarter points in the Super Bowl, versus 71 fourth quarter points. In other words, the average Patriots offensive production is zero points in the first quarter, followed by 10 points, 3 or 4 points, and then 10 more points in the final quarter.

If New England can settle into their offense faster in both halves, then they’ll have addressed their biggest struggle in each trip to the Super Bowl.

I think that particular streak will end this year, en route to the Pats winning their 6th Super Bowl of the Belichick/Brady era.

P
Legend
Legend
P
NE Wins another SB ... tongue

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend

A version of this year’s Super Bowl matchup, inspired by Rocky IV, as tweeted by @TheSlyStallone

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/957029954843299846

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
The Pats haven't missed a superbowl appearance for longer than a 3 year stretch since 2001.
And somehow they need to change how they play to get off to a faster start?

I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Maybe those quarter by quarter score results just highlight Bellichic's ability to get a feel for and then adjust to oppenents tendencies.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
The Pats haven't missed a superbowl appearance for longer than a 3 year stretch since 2001.
And somehow they need to change how they play to get off to a faster start?

I say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Maybe those quarter by quarter score results just highlight Bellichic's ability to get a feel for and then adjust to oppenents tendencies.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here. Can you elaborate?

Obviously the Pats have done very well. I'm not suggesting they change what their process is. That said, if the opportunity presents itself, they should try to score in the first quarter. Just for the heck of it.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I wish Tom Brady would retire. I would love to see what BB can do with a QB not named Tom Brady.

No Craps Given
H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
I wish Tom Brady would retire. I would love to see what BB can do with a QB not named Tom Brady.

11-5 in 2008 with an undrafted QB who hadn't played meaningful minutes since high school. 3-1 last year with Garoppolo and Brissett. It's not a huge sample size but it's something.

Legend
Legend
Maybe Brady's hand test messed up and we get hoyer vs foles

<><

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Matt Cassel was drafted if that's who you are referring to...

H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

That is who I was referring to and you're right: 7th round/230th pick in the 2005 draft. For some reason I thought he went undrafted.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
[]

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I don't have a leaning either way, team wise, but Hoyer having a ring would be cool. I think he did OK for us.

Legend
Legend
Agreed. He was the qb the last time I enjoyed Brown's football.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Haus

11-5 in 2008 with an undrafted QB who hadn't played meaningful minutes since high school. 3-1 last year with Garoppolo and Brissett. It's not a huge sample size but it's something.

11-5 as coach of the Browns with Vinny Testaverde in 1994, the Browns last playoff victory against the Bill Parcells coached Patriots, and lost to the Steelers a week later.

The closest of the 3 losses to the steelers was the first game, and it was the game which the Browns seemed to throw downfield more than the other two matches.

That game is the reason for THROW LONG to be my screen name. (One of)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Haus
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

That is who I was referring to and you're right: 7th round/230th pick in the 2005 draft. For some reason I thought he went undrafted.

He was nitpicking like normal. Notice he didn't put the round down. My guess that your examples were well-taken by most of us.

H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
It's no worry. We all slip up from time to time and I don't mind the correction.

Anyway, something that could actually be a big factor in the game: Gronkowski practiced, but is still in the concussion protocol. It seems likely he will play but you never really know with these head injuries.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...ssion-protocol/

Quote:
Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski is still not cleared to play from the league’s concussion protocol, but he took a step closer today.

Gronkowski is on the field for today’s Patriots practice. He previously had not been practicing.

Although Gronkowski isn’t a full participant yet, getting on the field now represents progress through the protocol, and his ability to take the practice field eight days before Super Bowl LII strongly suggests that he’ll be ready to go by game time.

Gronkowski suffered his concussion during the AFC Championship Game. Jaguars safety Barry Church was flagged and fined for the hit that knocked Gronkowski out of the game.

Legend
Legend
BB coached up Matt Cassel big time. Cassel had his best NFL season to date in 2008.

Comp% 63.4
Yds 3,693
TD's 21
INT's 11
Rate 89.4%

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
V
Legend
Legend
V
Agreed.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
A lot of people say the opposite smile

V
Legend
Legend
V
This dude crossed the line:

Quote:
The line that can’t be crossed with Tom Brady involves his family
Yahoo Sports Dan Wetzel,Yahoo Sports 8 hours ago

Reactions
Sign in to like
Reblog on Tumblr
Tweet
Email

MINNEAPOLIS – The first episode of Tom Brady’s docuseries, “Tom vs. Time,” features a scene where Brady is at home and on the phone. His 5-year-old daughter Vivian sort of interrupts him. She wants her father to know she was going to play soccer in the backyard and she was hoping for a sleepover with a friend.

Vivian was acting like a 5-year-old.

When discussing the show, which details Brady’s off-field life, focusing on his diet and health regimen, WEEI sports radio host Alex Reimer described the scene as “staged” and Vivian as an “annoying little pissant.”
Tom Brady, addressing a crowd at the Patriots' Super Bowl send-off rally on Monday, took issue with criticism of his daughter. (AP)
Tom Brady, addressing a crowd at the Patriots’ Super Bowl send-off rally on Monday, took issue with criticism of his daughter. (AP)

Again, Vivian is 5.

Brady appears each Monday during the New England Patriots’ season on WEEI’s morning show, “Kirk & Callahan.” (Reimer is on a different show on the Boston sports radio station.) This Monday morning, Brady cut his interview short because of Reimer’s comments.

“I’ve tried to come on this show for many years and showed you guys a lot of respect,” Brady said. “I’ve always tried [to] come on and do a good job for you guys. It’s very disappointing when you hear [the comments]. My daughter, or any child, certainly doesn’t deserve that.

“I really don’t have much to say this morning,” Brady said. “Maybe I’ll speak to you guys some other time.”

And with that the interview was over. WEEI later noted that Reimer had been suspended. Running afoul with the most popular athlete in Boston may forever crush his career.

Anyone who knows anything about Brady could have predicted such a reaction. While it’s worth noting Brady has a contract to appear on the show, he certainly doesn’t need the publicity or the money. The WEEI interview has often been the most revealing and interesting of Brady’s interactions with the media. He’s generally a low-profile guy. Many of his media answers are boring. He seems to try harder for this one, where he has a good relationship with the hosts.

Brady is, however, first and foremost, a father and a family man. He is someone who isn’t going to allow his 5-year-old girl to get disparaged by anyone.

[Your chance to win on football’s biggest day. Sign up for Squares Pick’em]

He may be seeking a record sixth Super Bowl this week when the New England Patriots face the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday. He may be rich and famous. His wife, Gisele Bundchen, may be a Brazilian supermodel who is even richer and more famous.

To Brady and Bundchen though, they are simply regular people with very interesting jobs. They are parents. They have a family. Maybe that is hard for outsiders to see, but that’s how they attempt to live their lives.

You’ll find as many paparazzi pictures of Brady and his kids at a local park than you will at a society function. His locker in Foxborough is often draped in pictures of he and his family at the beach or drawings from the kids or anything else that could just as easily be found adorning cubicles or work spaces anywhere in America.

Yes, it is a glorious life he leads, but this is no absentee father. He still tries to emulate his own parents who built their lives around raising four children in the San Francisco Bay Area. Tom Sr. always found time after work to play catch and cherished rounds of golf with his son. His mother Galynn remained a great athlete into middle age and pushed Tom and his sisters in baseball/softball, tennis and soccer, often participating in backyard games. Sundays in the fall were spent with the entire clan attending San Francisco 49er games, where the Bradys had season tickets.

And summers for Tom and the kids meant weeks here in Minnesota, working his maternal grandfather’s farm. Tom didn’t even play football until he was a high school freshman (and didn’t actually see the field until his sophomore year).

So, yeah, this wasn’t going to stand.
Tom Brady soaks in his last Super Bowl victory with his daughter, wife and his mother in Houston in February 2017. (Getty Images)

There was more though. Brady didn’t blow his stack on the air. He didn’t head over to the station to confront Reimer or beat him to a pulp. There were no threatened lawsuits or bullying.

He simply ended the interview. The disappointment in his voice said enough. His action came with deliberation, calm language and a lack of outward emotion. He didn’t dignify Reimer by mentioning his name. When you play quarterback in the NFL, or have reality shows made about your life, you are fair game for criticism. Brady has received plenty of it. He has not been one to battle with fans or media over those subjects.

This was different. Kids are kids.

If you were trying to teach your children about how to properly handle someone insulting and disrespecting your family, how to be a man, this might be how you’d draw it up.

No violence. No malice. No anger.

Yet no doubt about where Tom Brady stands. On the side of his kids. On the side of decency.

Always.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/line-cant-crossed-tom-brady-involves-family-175233182.html

I get these dudes are supposed to be controversial and edgy, but damn man...........leave the kids out of it.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I'm not overly excited. I mean, yes...I love the sport so, I will watch it and I hope it is a close game. But, if the game were Jax v Minn or Jax v Philly I would have been much more excited about it. I am just tired of NE. I will be rooting for Philly to win.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I saw this yesterday and was disgusted by it. I think Brady is full of himself and I'm not a big fan of his on a personal level. But if I were a journalist I would leave my personal opinions out of it. And speaking that way of someones child on a professional level is uncalled for.

He was however suspended as he should have been.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
In every interview I've ever heard Brady give, he has always been respectful and complimentary of his opponents and others. I don't get the hate that he receives sometimes. Dude is a total class act. Fiery, but isn't that what we all want in a football player?

I don't know why this radio host would go off on Brady's kid like that.. very unprofessional, and I agree that it crossed the line.

Legend
Legend
I hope this doesn't affect the outcome:

The Eagles have battled illness all week.

https://247sports.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/Bolt/Eagles-battling-flu-bug-in-Minneapolis--114516084

The Philadelphia Eagles biggest distraction during Super Bowl week hasn't been all the media availability and travel time to practice, but an flu bug that carried over from Philadelphia.

Ronald Darby missed Thursday's media session due to illness, along with Timmy Jernigan. Mychal Kendricks has been battling the flu as well, but was able to show up for the final media session before the Super Bowl.

Kendricks isn't concerned about the flu bug that has plagued the team, but it's something the Eagles have to get through.

"I'm getting over it right now. It's like a cold, I don't know. The whole team has it, though," Kendricks said to ESPN. "I don't think it had anything to do with us being out here. I think it started sometime last week. We'll be fine. It's not that big of a deal."

The Eagles will play the Patriots in Super Bowl 52! Continue following the dream season with us. Make sure to stay in the loop for all Eagles news throughout the playoffs! -- take five seconds to sign up for our FREE Eagles newsletter now!

Kendricks said he was being sarcastic when he said the whole team had the flu bug, but Kenjon Barner and Doug Pederson had symptoms back in Philadelphia last week.

"It's that time of year. No one's dying," Kendricks said. "It's all good."

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I'll take Philly.

31-21

Late FG by Philly clinches it.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
P
Legend
Legend
P
NE 28-27 on last second TD from Brady to Gronk ... frown

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Got one thing to say:

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
C
Legend
Legend
C

D
Legend
Legend
D
Patriots XXIII
Eagles XVII

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Of course, NE knows nothing about this. They have never seen anything like it or even know it exists in football. Their first introduction to this top secret scheme within a scheme will be sometime in the first quarter of the Superbowl game. They will be caught off guard scratching their defensive heads.

On the NE sidelines Belichick will be using one of them there blue laptops in a desperate Google search for answers.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think this will be a one sided game and the Pats will dominate. The Eagles are a good team but Brady's experience will take the day. No idea what the final score will look like. jmho

I will add that I hope Brady retires if he wins, or either way really.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
T
Legend
Legend
T
How would the Browns do in this game? Well I'm mostly thinking if they took the place of the Eagles and were about to play the Pats.
And I mean these 2017 Browns; just a thought.

I think they'd make a game of it, after all it's the Super Bowl.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
First game to end on the mercy rule. Bill and Tom would take no prisoners.

H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Patriots 34
Eagles 17

E
Legend
Legend
E
The Foles Fantasy tour ends today.

1. If one teams blows the other out of the water its going to be the Pats.

2. If one team is losing by a lot and comes back to win it could only be the Pats.

3. If its a close game the one team that will win this is the Pats.

lol laugh I think it is safe to say that I will predict the Pats are winning one more SB.

I really like BB, he is one of my heroes and I cringe to what he almost built here (#$%^%#$% Modell)

I really like Brady I think his entire story line is amazing!
6th round pick, ugly duckling turning into a Swan!

I really like Dion Lewis. Kid was a primadonna and busted with Eagles. revived his career here. Had injury issues, is finally healthy. Is best friends with one of my players and has come to some games of mine.

The Pats have become my surrogate post season Team favorite,
so when the Browns are out of it. I enjoy watching the Pats in the playoffs. It helps me deal with being a fan. Can't wait till we are annual contenders!!!

I think Foles run has been great. Nobody game plans better than BB. They will have an answer for Foles and he will panic.
Although a nicer honestly GOOD person I don't think there is.
Kid is a true holy roller. I don't know, he might have the miracle factor with him. So I guess I'm saying if there is NO MIRACLE...Eagles are losing...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
There’s a lot of money saying the Eagles will cover.

4 - Million Dollar bets on the Eagles.

All four bets worth at least $1 million placed in Las Vegas on Super Bowl LII have picked the underdog Philadelphia Eagles to either upset or cover the spread against the favored New England Patriots.

On Saturday, David Purdum of ESPN.com reported there are two $1 million moneyline wagers on the Eagles, a $1.6 million bet on Philadelphia with the 4.5-point spread and a "multimillion" bet on Philly, though it's unclear whether that was straight up or with the points.

Gill Alexander of the Vegas Sports & Information Network told Frank Schwab of Yahoo Sports the Eagles being the preferred choice, including on smaller wagers, might have nothing to do with the numbers.

"I wonder if so many of those bets are people tired of seeing the Patriots win," he said. "I wonder if it's as simple as that."

The steady stream of bets on Philadelphia has caused the oddsmakers to adjust. The Patriots, who opened as 6.0-point favorites after their victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars in the AFC Championship Game, are currently down to 4.5, per OddsShark.

It's a trend that comes as a surprise, though.

#GMSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
There are some rich Die Hard Eagle fans.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Amazing opportunity came my way yesterday and somehow in the nick of time I managed to score two free tickets to see today's Dress Rehearsal of 'Hamilton' up in Seattle! It was a timed "lottery draw/first come first serve" opportunity to get tickets and I nabbed 2!

So, I shall be missing the Super Bowl. My wife was in tears when it was confirmed we got them as we missed out on tickets when it comes to Portland and we couldn't afford them in London. These babies were free and all it takes is a 2.5 hr drive. I am so damn tired of NE anyway and I have no real allegiance to Philly (although I do have family in NE Delaware and SE PA), but I hope the Eagles win.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: eotab
...I really like BB, he is one of my heroes and I cringe to what he almost built here (#$%^%#$% Modell)

...I really like Brady I think his entire story line is amazing!
6th round pick, ugly duckling turning into a Swan!

...The Pats have become my surrogate post season Team favorite,
so when the Browns are out of it. I enjoy watching the Pats in the playoffs. It helps me deal with being a fan. Can't wait till we are annual contenders!!!

All of the above. Regardless of how bad a Browns season has been I can always count on NE to be in the playoffs and play it tough. It's the only other team I ever get to root for. Regular season I don't care. But once the Browns are out of it, it's Pats all the way.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
From the article..."I wonder if so many of those bets are people tired of seeing the Patriots win," he said. "I wonder if it's as simple as that."

As if their bet will have an effect on the reality. lol

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season NFL Post Season 2017 Super Bowl LII: Eagles vs Patriots

Link Copied to Clipboard