Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Furthermore, when signing a FA QB to a multi-year contract, one must consider the age of each particular FA. Guys like Brees, Ben, Brady, etc are nearing the ends of their careers. I think Cousins is 28. That's a big factor.

I think he is 29, but none the less, I agree. Cousins isn't a bridge option. He is a legit player who can play at a high level past the contract he will sign. A 5 year deal puts him at 34/35. He still has good football in the tank at that point. I will qualify the previous comment assuming he still wants to play or doesn't sustain some sort of injury that narrows his playing window.

Tom Brady will be playing in about 7.5 hours. How old is that guy? Looks to me like he still has a few years in the tank.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
If Washington tags Cousins and he signs the tag, they are screwed.

cfrs15 #1402145 02/04/18 11:44 AM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Probably .. but that does not seem to stop Snyder. He tends to go for and get his pound of flesh.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
eotab #1402146 02/04/18 11:46 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: eotab
this team is not a QB away and has many areas that need to be addressed with all that cap space.

Actually this team is A QB away from being a contender. Ummm you still have 80 mil in cap space and draft picks to build. Of course we don't stop building the team.

But my reference to a team that is 1-31 is that we have to start winning.
1. The young talent have to get it in their system.
2. Hue will not last with another 3-4 win season.

FA Starting QBs just do not make the FA market often. There is no NEED greater for our team than QB. We will not sign more than approx. 3-5 stud FA. We will build from the 30 or so young players that we got in the draft n UDFA the last two seasons.

We cannot ignore or simply pass up legitimate NFL Starting QB talent. I don't understand your reasoning there. So if you don't agree fine but the statement of why just doesn't make sense. Sorry.

I agree. A QB changes much.

As you point out, we are going to go after some free agent players. We are poised in the draft to add several playmaker players on both sides of the ball, and we have players currently on the team who were held back by QB play.

We can win next year. We were better than our record last year, and that comment isn't a knock on anybody. It just didn't work is the way we can leave that.

I think we can win 9 games next year. Lot's of people with the team can go from chump to champ in a hurry.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Furthermore, when signing a FA QB to a multi-year contract, one must consider the age of each particular FA. Guys like Brees, Ben, Brady, etc are nearing the ends of their careers. I think Cousins is 28. That's a big factor.

FWIW, he'll be 30 when the season starts.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1402156 02/04/18 11:56 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

That should prevent them from completing the trade with KC. They can’t afford both.

#GMSTRONG
Tulsa #1402158 02/04/18 11:59 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

That should prevent them from completing the trade with KC. They can’t afford both.

Snyder's just foolish enough to take that chance.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Snyder's just foolish enough to take that chance.

I'll get the popcorn.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Tulsa #1402206 02/04/18 12:54 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

According to Spotrac it will be real close. Including Smith's contract the Skins have $36 mill left in cap space and I believe that if the Skins franchise tag Cousins again it will cost them about $34 mill.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Tulsa #1402254 02/04/18 02:13 PM
G
2nd String
2nd String
G

They would then trade Cousins so they could recoup some of what they paid for Smith. If that was the case the Browns would be able to get Cousins in a trade. Other wise, I doubt he will sign with Cleveland in FA.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
Glw12 #1402277 02/04/18 03:29 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Glw12

They would then trade Cousins so they could recoup some of what they paid for Smith. If that was the case the Browns would be able to get Cousins in a trade. Other wise, I doubt he will sign with Cleveland in FA.

Because then we’d have a 34.5 million dollar qb on a one year deal and less a draft pick. Not at all worth it if you can’t get him signed long term. I’d rather we let the skins keep him and see if we can get Smith on the rebound he’s cheaper and willing to sign longer.

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
“Is money a part of it? Sure. Is it the only thing? No,” Cousins said on PFT Live. “It is about winning, and that’s what I want more than anything, so I’m going to be willing to make sacrifices or do what has to be done to make sure I’m in the best possible position to win, and that’s what the focus is going to be.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201.../?sf180746984=1

Quote:
Well, right on the scene at radio row, things got a little more interesting with Paul Allen and Paul Charchian for KFAN.

The Pauls were chatting with Bleacher Report senior writer Master Tesfatsion, formerly of the Washington Post, about Kirk Cousins and how he might fit with the Vikings. Stemming from that conversation, Paul Allen received a text message from what he called an "incredibly well respected opinion" with some VERY interesting information around Kirk's preference for a landing spot.

The mystery text message read as follows:

"Listening to you, I'm told Cousins has been telling people this week the Vikings are #1 with a bullet on his preference list. If offers are similar he's taking the Vikings."

https://kfan.iheart.com/featured/vikings...rs-are-similar/

These two things make sense when presented together. I said before I read this that if I were Kirk Cousins I'd have the Vikings at the top of my list.

mgh888 #1402512 02/05/18 01:39 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You guys are kinda missing the point with my post, but that's ok.

But anyway, I think a lot of people assume Cousins will play well if he comes here. I don't know if he will or not. But I also don't believe he's as good as his numbers suggest.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Kirk Cousins - QB - Redskins

Paul Allen of KFAN Minneapolis reports the Vikings are "number one with a bullet" on Kirk Cousins' wish list.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer agrees that Minnesota would be a "prime location" for the impending free agent. Cousins has garnered widespread interest since Washington traded for Alex Smith last week with the Broncos, Cardinals, Jaguars, Jets and Vikings emerging as his top suitors. Cousins reportedly has a desire to "win right away," which would make Minnesota an appealing destination. The Vikings also boast one of the league's strongest receiving duos in Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs. With Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater and Case Keenum all headed for free agency, the NFC runner-ups will be aggressive in pursuing a quarterback this offseason.

Related: Vikings

Source: Cleveland Plain DealerFeb 4 - 10:51 AM

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If Cousins isn't coming to Cleveland, I hope it's Minnesota.

Denver and New York are both picking #5 and #6, respectively, and both need a quarterback. We could dangle that #4 pick for trade bait. Arizona is a long shot but could realistically help build value if they're rumoured to trade up.

In 2017, the 49ers got 2x 3rd round picks and 1x 4th round pick just to move back one spot. If we could get a deal like that from Denver, and still get the guy we wanted from the #4 pick, that would be amazing.

Heck, I wonder what our chances are of getting #5 and #40 in exchange for #4.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I have seen the reports about Minnesota being a prime location for Cousins, but has Minni said they are even in the market for a new QB? Are they really that dissatisfied w/their 3 QBs that they won't even try to re-sign one or two of them?

Legend
Legend
Well, one is coming off a horrible injury.

The other can’t seem to not EVER get injured.

And the last one only started because the top two were down.

And teams simply can not rely on Sam Bradford. For the life of me I can’t figure out why Minnesota Gave up a first round pick for a guy who’s built out of glass.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1402569 02/05/18 10:32 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
True. I guess my point is that Cousins is going to be extremely expensive. I question whether or not the Vikings will pursue him. I can see teams like Denver, NYJ, Arizona, and Cleveland giving him a huge contract but I question the wisdom of Minni doing so.

Those are just my thoughts. I'm not actually predicting anything.

Swish #1402644 02/05/18 01:20 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Swish
And teams simply can not rely on Sam Bradford. For the life of me I can’t figure out why Minnesota Gave up a first round pick for a guy who’s built out of glass.

They were in a pinch because Teddy Bridgewater's leg fell off a week before the season. To be fair to them, he played really well and they made the playoffs.

Legend
Legend
This may have been discussed already, but yesterday while listening to the run up to the superbowl, I heard a couple of talking heads say that Washington will tag cousins then trade him. (not sure which tag they'll use)But it wouldn't make sense for them to just let him walk with nothing in return.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
This may have been discussed already, but yesterday while listening to the run up to the superbowl, I heard a couple of talking heads say that Washington will tag cousins then trade him. (not sure which tag they'll use)But it wouldn't make sense for them to just let him walk with nothing in return.

and if they can't move him? omg, talk about a trainwreck.

I'm cool with giving cousins a max deal. but to give up money AND draft picks?

hell no.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1402722 02/05/18 03:45 PM
Legend
Legend
If I was Cousins, I would tell them that I will sign the tender immediately, if they do that.

There aren't a lot of trade partners for a $34 million QB on a franchise contract. The Skins would be required to create that $34 million in cap space to fit that tender before they could tender him. Good luck keeping their team together, let alone improving it.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
If I was Cousins, I would tell them that I will sign the tender immediately, if they do that.

There aren't a lot of trade partners for a $34 million QB on a franchise contract. The Skins would be required to create that $34 million in cap space to fit that tender before they could tender him. Good luck keeping their team together, let alone improving it.

And then make a public announcement that any team that trades for him that he will refuse to resign.

There is zero chance they tender him. They can't possibly be that stupid.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Swish #1402846 02/05/18 08:47 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B

hell no.

I agree. Nobody is going to do that. Washington will be stuck with him at 30 mil, or whatever it is this time.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Swish #1402864 02/05/18 09:44 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D

hell no.

$ and draft picks, I wouldn't walk away, I would take crack and run as fast as I could away hahaha.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

hell no.

$ and draft picks, I wouldn't walk away, I would take crack and run as fast as I could away hahaha.

My interest in Cousins was based on getting him and keeping our draft picks as well, I'm not so sure he is worth the draft picks, the 34 mil for 1 year expense, plus the hassle of attempting to sign long term.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
They could transition tag him as well I believe, which would be around $27 mil. I would think $34 mil and a draft pick would eliminate Denver.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
They could transition tag him as well I believe, which would be around $27 mil. I would think $34 mil and a draft pick would eliminate Denver.

So your saying he gets tagged at 34m, traded to Denver and they inherit that 34m salary for 2018?

That don't sound right.

After Trade compensation is agreed upon, Denver signs him to a multi year deal and Washington rescinds the Tag.

That sounds more feasible.

Again, you guys are throwing things out there and they all seem to be guesses.

And it needs to be the NON exclusive tag. This allows Cousins to negotiate a deal with Denver.

The Exclusive Tag is Cousins either signs it or sits out the entire year.

Last edited by kwhip; 02/06/18 06:06 AM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
How I understand the transition tag, that doesn't sound like it'll work. Cousins can negotiate a contract and then Washington has the option to sign him at the same contract like we did with Alex Mack. Would be kind of crappy for Washington to just sign him to make sure they get something in trade.

If Washington wants something for him they're just going to have to wait a year, not sign any FA and receive a 3rd rd compensation pick.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No that isn't what I said kwhip. I said that $34 mil and a draft pick would probably eliminate Denver. If he has a $34 mil deal in hand he isn't going to sign for less money that year if other teams are willing to pay it and other teams will. Denver just doesn't have the cash to offer him.

Cousins has the leverage once he's tagged, and Washington can ill afford him to quickly sign the tag. He has that threat in his pocket.

devicedawg, this deal will all be done before the tag deadline. It doesn't matter what tag they use because they are only tagging him to have trading rights. Teams don't have to match any deals or trade any certain picks. Washington just has to accept their offer.

The problem that a team like Denver would have would be that Kirk can choose to sign his tag and stay in Washington for a year for $34 mil and repeat the process at an even higher price next year. Denver and every other team would have to start their offers at $34 mil for at least that first year to be in the running.

And yes it is all just a guess, but a guess is all that anyone can offer at this point. Even Washington has to guess at this point and so far they haven't guessed well when it comes to Cousins.

kwhip #1402973 02/06/18 12:55 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
After Trade compensation is agreed upon, Denver signs him to a multi year deal and Washington rescinds the Tag.

That won't work. If Washington rescinds the tag Cousins automatically becomes a Free Agent again.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
C
clwb419 Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
C
True. I guess my point is that Cousins is going to be extremely expensive. I question whether or not the Vikings will pursue him. I can see teams like Denver, NYJ, Arizona, and Cleveland giving him a huge contract but I question the wisdom of Minni doing so.

Those are just my thoughts. I'm not actually predicting anything.

I was thinking he'd sign a deal similar to the Stafford deal (it was 6 years, 135m I believe), but I read something on ESPN yesterday that some talking head thinks he'll sign with the Jets at 6 years 186m. That's just assinine money.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I expect him to receive 5 for 145 with around 100 being guaranteed.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I beleive that Cousins has to actually sign the tag in order for Washington to be able to trade him under the franchise tag, let me know if I’m wrong. If they propose a trade to somewhere he doesn’t want to go he just doesn’t sign the tag, therefore no trade, why would Washington give him all that leverage? I understand wanting to get something for him but they could screw themselves.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Gotcha. That makes sense.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/NFL-Draft-top-four-picks-open-for-trade-114962048

Matt Miller reports hearing from multiple sources that all four of the first selections are being shopped, with the Browns willing to move one of the two selections but not both.

At this stage, I expect it is little more than due diligence. As the saying goes, every selection and player is on the trade block: Every team will listen to any offer out of either curiosity or insight in to another team's line of thinking.

However, what I found the most fascinating is the suggestion that Dorsey would have aggressively attempted to trade the first overall selection if his plan to acquire Alex Smith had worked.

Given the similarities, I'll assume that plan would likely extend to Kirk Cousins if the Browns get his signature - would the #1 pick still be shopped? I would think that's a strong possibility.

I think that trade would make a lot of sense. With the Giants at #2, Denver at #5, and the Jets at #6, there are options to amass some additional selections without falling too far off the map.

One thing that has been pointed out plenty is when McCloughan was asked on Twitter who he preferred - Guice or Barkley. McCloughan said (8/9/2017) Guice. While I don't think he carries that much influence in the building, it is a reminder of the front end talent in this draft providing valuable options. Guice is a tricky one - I often see him mocked early first or mid-second. He's a lot less pinned down that some of his fellow prospects.

With Washington and the 49ers out of the Cousins sweepstakes, it ultimately leaves the Browns and Jets as the most realistic suitors. I think Denver is overrated (Broke, old, 5-11) and the Vikings are somewhat up in the air.

If the Browns do sign Cousins, it will be interesting to see what Dorsey does with the first round selections.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Other than media speculation, nothing I see makes me think Browns are in race to get Cousins

https://twitter.com/JoeBanner13/status/966087242698522625

C
Legend
Legend
C
I thought this was interesting:

Quote:
My favorite graphic showing how much superbowl winning qbs counted against the cap. Never over 15%, most on cheap deals

https://twitter.com/ryan_hawkz4494/status/966025874121379840

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

Being reported the Jets are going to offer Cousins a 5 year, $150M contract. The interesting thing, however, is $60M would be paid in year one. For the remaining four years, his contract would drop to an average of $22.5M.

Jets are also expected to cut Mo Wilkerson and Matt Forte, amongst other moves that could push their cap space north of $90M.

Interesting, if it turn out to be true.

BDU #1408777 02/21/18 04:22 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I would not ever pay Cousins that much

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Cousins Part II

Link Copied to Clipboard