Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
I would not ever pay Cousins that much

It only looks big because every starting QB to get a new contract ultimately sets the market. Stafford and Jimmy G just got $27M per year deals. Luck and Carr before that got $25M per year deals. Rodgers, Flacco and Wilson before that got $21M-ish deals. Pretty much all starting QB's are on at least $20M per year.

If we want a quarterback, this is what we'll be paying him. They don't stay on rookie deals for long.

I don't understand the "price" arguments against Cousins. We're not finding someone who is taking $5M per year. Sooner or later, we're going to have to actually open the wallet for someone.

BDU #1408782 02/21/18 04:37 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: BDU

It only looks big because every starting QB to get a new contract ultimately sets the market. Stafford and Jimmy G just got $27M per year deals. Luck and Carr before that got $25M per year deals. Rodgers, Flacco and Wilson before that got $21M-ish deals. Pretty much all starting QB's are on at least $20M per year.

If we want a quarterback, this is what we'll be paying him. They don't stay on rookie deals for long.

I don't understand the "price" arguments against Cousins. We're not finding someone who is taking $5M per year. Sooner or later, we're going to have to actually open the wallet for someone.

hey bud !

I would not pay him that much because with a better team he has not pushed deep into the playoffs recently for me.

maybe a much smaller amount lol..

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
He has been in the same system quite sometime but like dalton ...ya know

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
He is worth 35 a year or 175 mil for 5 years. All it takes to make it easy is to pay him a lot up front while we have huge cap space this year. Then his cap hit the following years becomes very manageable. We could give him 80 mil the first year so that his cap hit would only be 23.75 mil the next 4 years which is a very manageable cap hit. We are the only team with the cap space to do it. It still leaves us 35 mil in cap space to sign our rookies and free agents this year which is more than enough. Next year we would be back to having a large amount of cap space again but with a lot better team to draw in that one or two FA we need.

The time to strike is now.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
BDU #1408837 02/21/18 09:53 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You're kinda right because it's not even my money. But still I'd rather pay Glennon 10 than give Cousins anything near 20.

If we sign Cousins I will obviously root for him, but I'll be doing so knowing we could have done better. It's going to look pretty silly in a couple years if we still have the mediocre cousins and Darnold, Mayfield or Rosen are leading their team to a Championship game.

Honestly, I don't see how anyone here can want him. We bypassed drafting a QB 2 years ago to try our luck with an ex-Redskin QB, it didn't work and people want us to do it again.

People will contend that Dorsey did this in 2013 when he took over with the chiefs. They had the first pick and traded for Alex Smith. Well look at the QBs in that draft, not one worth the first pick. In this draft, there's 4-5 talked about as being the #1 pick.

Cousins is nothing more than a desperation move to make the franchise relevant. We will probably win games, but we won't be going to any championships.

D
Legend
Legend
D

Wow, Kirk loses all my interest if those are the numbers needed to get him to talk contracts. He's just not THAT elite to me. I'm so up and down with signing/ignoring Kirk that I feel like seeing those numbers makes it easier to let the Jets, or whoever else, throw all their $ to a slightly above average QB. All jmo.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Cousins is a top 10 QB. He is NOT mediocre. I don't know where you guys get this nonsense from that he is mediocre.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
He's definitely not top 10... and it's debatable whether he's in the top half of the league. But he is better than what we've had and he'll probably win us a few games.

BDU #1408857 02/21/18 10:50 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B

I agree. I don't want to team to stay on cheap rookie deals.

The structure of rookie salaries was altered some years back with the idea that vets would be getting the money. Some may think it is too much, but the reality is that's what it takes to get a quality starting QB. Add in that there are 32 NFL teams and maybe 20 have decent QB's and the price gets higher.

We have been screwing around trying to find a QB for 20 years. Now we have a chance to get one. I am going to be seriously ticked if we don't make every effort to sign him. It better not come down to we didn't make the best offer. If Cousins goes elsewhere, it better be he just decided it was a better fit for him.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
He's definitely not top 10... and it's debatable whether he's in the top half of the league. But he is better than what we've had and he'll probably win us a few games.

It's a fact that his numbers place him in the top ten. Period. The fact he put up those numbers under a dysfunctional owner like Synder is even more amazing. He would radically improve our team if we somehow got lucky enough to sign him.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I agree. I don't want to team to stay on cheap rookie deals.

The structure of rookie salaries was altered some years back with the idea that vets would be getting the money. Some may think it is too much, but the reality is that's what it takes to get a quality starting QB. Add in that there are 32 NFL teams and maybe 20 have decent QB's and the price gets higher.

We have been screwing around trying to find a QB for 20 years. Now we have a chance to get one. I am going to be seriously ticked if we don't make every effort to sign him. It better not come down to we didn't make the best offer. If Cousins goes elsewhere, it better be he just decided it was a better fit for him.

I completely agree Ballpeen.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm kinda the opposite. I hope we don't offer him anything.

Our chance to get the QB you covet is in the draft, not free agency.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns

It's a fact that his numbers place him in the top ten. Period. The fact he put up those numbers under a dysfunctional owner like Synder is even more amazing. He would radically improve our team if we somehow got lucky enough to sign him.

In fantasy football?

D
Legend
Legend
D
If Kirk was Brady, Manning, Brees or similar, okay then... throw the money his way and let's forget about it!!!!!!!!!! Kirk is pinch of salt above average to me. Nothing more, nothing less.

Is it better than what we have? Yes.

Is it better to have a vet QB you KNOW can hack the job and get it done? Yes.

Have we've been looking for years and years for a QB? Yes.

Is it better to overpay for someone/pay more for a slightly above average QB, and, pay more than the actual elite QBs are making, in a draft class where there's actually some notable QBs with talent and etc? That's the golden question. We all want the sure fire route to solidify the position, I know. We have a ton of cap, I know. What I don't know is if Kirk is just simply worth what he'll apparent will/is going to get and worth the huge hit to our cap, cap we will need in the future hopefully.

Maybe in another draft class where the QB selection is "less notable" would I be willing to just make the likes of a "get it done, but nothing more" QB the highest paid player, but we're not in that situation. Seeing the numbers from the Jets report, I just lose most if not all interest in Kirk.

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 02/21/18 11:18 AM. Reason: grammar
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns

In fantasy football?

Kirk cousins ranks
#8 in TD
#9 in completion %
#7 in passing yards
#9 in Passing yards per attempt

Your the one in a fantasy world man. He IS a TOP 10 QB. That is fact.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

E
Legend
Legend
E
Honestly, I don't see how anyone here can want him.

1. He is an established NFL QB something we have never had here...not too hard to figure out why dawgs would want him here.

2. Some fans just don't trust the drafted QB markets as evaluation is so hard to get right History shows 50% success.
So the thought process is OK Sign Cousins and don't have to worry for QB investment at #1 n #4...go get other talent or trade back and get a boat load of futures.

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk...lol fell asleep at the keyboard

fixed it with enters so not to stretch this thread out

Last edited by eotab; 02/21/18 11:33 AM.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
ugh... so he's a pretty good fantasy quarterback... oddly, the exception Stafford (not sure he's top 10 either), the other top ten quarterbacks have been to a Super Bowl or Championship game while Cousins has never won a playoff game. Andy Dalton much?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
ugh... so he's a pretty good fantasy quarterback... oddly, the exception Stafford (not sure he's top 10 either), the other top ten quarterbacks have been to a Super Bowl or Championship game while Cousins has never won a playoff game. Andy Dalton much?

I'd take any QB like Dalton, Cousins Stafford, Luck because they give us a shot to win some games. Heck if we can win some games, we can recruit better talent.

right now... we have no reason for someone to come to CLE except $.

give me cousins and the FA's will sign in CLe and and we keep Thomas for another year or two.

winning cures all pain.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We have a real opportunity to draft our Franchise QB for the next 10-15 years. It's too bad that a $150 million dollar QB with an average record is muddying the waters.

JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Maybe if he had a better team around him he would have a better record. BTW Drew Brees W/L record for the last 4 years is 32-31 so I guess he is an average QB too.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really think Dorsey will take a QB at #1 or #4 no matter who ( or if ) we sign in FA ..

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
I really think Dorsey will take a QB at #1 or #4 no matter who ( or if ) we sign in FA ..

I think that's a given.

What I don't get is that so many seem opposed to signing a high quality NFL starter as well. Heck, worst case scenario is that Cousins starts for 2 or 3 years, while the rookie sits and learns. (and we win a lot of games in the meantime, while we build the rest of the team to a high level)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Oh I agree Town , but I just don't see Cousins as a VIABLE signing ..

V
Legend
Legend
V
I have soured a bit on signing Cousins because of the recent news of what the Jets are willing to pay. It would be an all-out bidding war that might reach epic proportions.

With that said, I think there is an issue on here about how good Cousins is. He is a far better qb than some are saying. They are not factoring in things like how his entire OL was hurt during the year, the lack of good RBs, and that Jake Reed was injured almost all year.

We have one poster in particular talking out of his butt, just like he always does. He says the same things over and over and logic and reason are thrown out the window. He told us emphatically 4-5 times a day that Hue was guaranteed to be fired and Sashi would remain. He keeps telling us over and over that Dorsey is going to draft Mayfield w/the first pick. He says things like Coleman is better than Michael Thomas. He claims that Rosen's teammates and coaches don't think he is a good leader or teammate.

Don't let his nonsensical trolling ruin the thread.

I am not sure what the Browns should do. We all have our preferences and some valid reasons for our opinions. I can honestly see why people could either really want Cousins or be skeptical of the signing. I like reading logical explanations on both side.

dawg66 #1408965 02/21/18 02:23 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: dawg66
Maybe if he had a better team around him he would have a better record. BTW Drew Brees W/L record for the last 4 years is 32-31 so I guess he is an average QB too.

Yeah, he's probably getting there. But I'd take him over Cousins.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: waterdawg

I think that's a given.

What I don't get is that so many seem opposed to signing a high quality NFL starter as well. Heck, worst case scenario is that Cousins starts for 2 or 3 years, while the rookie sits and learns. (and we win a lot of games in the meantime, while we build the rest of the team to a high level)

Given/say we intend to go all out for Kirk, won't dropping a first round on a QB make him mad or deteriorate any will he, and others, might have to come here?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No way in hell does Dorsey sign Cousins then take a QB at #1 or #4. That would be like saying, "I'm spending $150M+ on a guy I don't believe in."

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Most aren't going to let the trolling ruin a thread.

A lot of guys have put you on ignore already.

I do agree with you on the two views on Cousins.

Too bad you had to go after another poster and ruin what could have been a good football post.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't think there is a Lebron in the FA this year , lol !

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Originally Posted By: dawg66

Yeah, he's probably getting there. But I'd take him over Cousins.

I'd take Brees over Cousins any day if age weren't a factor as Brees is a HOF QB but I think Cousins is a top 10/12 QB in this league. I'd put him on a par with Stafford from Detroit. I don't have a problem with drafting a QB but the problem there is, are you gonna get a Tom Brady or a Ryan Leaf. Cousins may not be the best but he's still pretty good and you know what you are getting. My ideal situation is sign Cousins and draft Mike White with our late 2nd or our 3rd rnd pick.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
dawg66 #1408976 02/21/18 02:38 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
lol, I don't like Stafford either, but I get your point and understand why you like Cousins. I don't think it's any more of a crap shoot drafting Rosen or Darnold that it was taking Wentz, Mariotta, or Winston. It's like we have a shot at our Elway or Aikman and all the Cousins situation is doing in my view is mucking up the decision process.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It doesn't muck anything up for me. I'd still draft a QB at #1 if we signed Cousins.

Either guy is trade-able if we choose go with the other long term. Hoping for the best by putting all of our eggs in one basket is a far worse scenario in my opinion.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Right. We've lost so much that we're willing to pay any cost to be average again.

The second Dorsey signs Cousins he should be fired.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
It doesn't muck anything up for me. I'd still draft a QB at #1 if we signed Cousins.

You might, but Dorsey won't.

Quote:
Either guy is trade-able if we choose go with the other long term.

Not really, not at that price.

Quote:
Hoping for the best by putting all of our eggs in one basket is a far worse scenario in my opinion.

It's not hope, it's a strategy, and teams do it all the time. But I can't think of one instance where a team has signed the most expensive FA QB ever then drafted a QB #1.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
You might, but Dorsey won't.

I don't think anyone knows what Dorsey will do at this point. We do know he made an effort toward Alex Smith

Quote:
Not really, not at that price.

Do you mean Cousin's price? The price that teams are fighting to outbid each other on right now? Or the price of a rookie contract? Either of those contracts are going to look pretty cheap in a few years.

Quote:
It's not hope, it's a strategy, and teams do it all the time. But I can't think of one instance where a team has signed the most expensive FA QB ever then drafted a QB #1.

There is no strategy in skipping on one option because you are counting on being right in what amounts to your best guess in another option. Not many other teams have had the cap room and and the draft picks to do both. But "nobody has done it before" is a horrible excuse.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think you're reaching on all counts, but I get your opinion. Just don't agree.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
I think you're reaching on all counts, but I get your opinion. Just don't agree.

I'll win you over eventually. tongue

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You better have deep pockets and good taste in jewelry. naughtydevil

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Wow, Kirk loses all my interest if those are the numbers needed to get him to talk contracts.

To be fair, it was not said that’s what it would take to get him to talk. I don’t think there have been any numbers thrown out there by Cousins or his agent. Those numbers came from the Jets. Reportedly.

That said, the Jets can have him.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Cousins Part II

Link Copied to Clipboard