Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
We really don't have anything to lose by keeping him. Everyone in the league knows he's one strike away from being out of the league so nobody is going to give us much anyway. And if he's suspended he isn't getting paid. So we may as well keep him.

We just can't go into the FA market or draft acting as though he's actually on the roster. We have to just consider it a bonus if and when he is.

True, he's worth a 1st rounder for his potential production on the field to us. On the trading block, he's not going to bring us that.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
L
Legend
Legend
L
Good way of putting it.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Good way of putting it.

Thank you!

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
B
Legend
Legend
B
As I said before, I think the guy needs a infusion of cash. I offer him a 3 year extension....maybe 4 mil signing bonus up front, then his contract would pay the bulk after he completes each season without incident.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
As I said before, I think the guy needs a infusion of cash. I offer him a 3 year extension....maybe 4 mil signing bonus up front, then his contract would pay the bulk after he completes each season without incident.

He has yet to prove himself trustworthy. I would offer minimal money up front (4 million can get you in a heap of trouble) with bonuses at seasons end. Keep him hungry...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

He has yet to prove himself trustworthy. I would offer minimal money up front (4 million can get you in a heap of trouble) with bonuses at seasons end. Keep him hungry...

We are trying to build a team, a Gordon is too much of a distraction...

Best scenario IMHO, trade him to a team that can manage all this fuss, and draft or sign a WR.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
As I said before, I think the guy needs a infusion of cash.

Let's hope he is smart with it ...

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Do we have to pay him now or trade him now? Lost in all the posts, I can't remember when his contract expires. I thought he was under contract for the upcoming season. Is that incorrect? Because if it isn't, I wouldn't do anything in regards to a new contract just yet.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Per NFL rules, the Browns can (and will, unless they are dumb) tag Gordon as an Exclusive Rights Free Agent (ERFA) in 2018. This designation applies to players who have less than three accrued seasons in the NFL and could be around $790,000 for a one-year deal, per Joel Corry of CBS Sports. If the Browns make an offer to an ERFA, no other team would be able to sign the player.

Assuming that Gordon plays in 2018, then he would be set to be a Restricted Free Agent (RFA) in 2019. The Browns could try to work a long-term deal out with Gordon, but let’s say that Gordon kind of wants to get to free agency as soon as possible. At the same time, if the Browns don’t want to risk losing Gordon (especially with no compensation) just yet, they would slap a 1st- or 2nd-round tender on him. The numbers will jump by 2019, but a 1st-round tender seems likely, which could be a 1-year deal around $5 million. If no team coughs up a first round pick for Gordon, he’d stay with the Browns through 2019.

Then, finally, Gordon would be an unrestricted free agent in 2020 — eight years after he was first drafted!

Dawgs by Nature

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Per NFL rules, the Browns can (and will, unless they are dumb) tag Gordon as an Exclusive Rights Free Agent (ERFA) in 2018. This designation applies to players who have less than three accrued seasons in the NFL and could be around $790,000 for a one-year deal, per Joel Corry of CBS Sports. If the Browns make an offer to an ERFA, no other team would be able to sign the player.

Assuming that Gordon plays in 2018, then he would be set to be a Restricted Free Agent (RFA) in 2019. The Browns could try to work a long-term deal out with Gordon, but let’s say that Gordon kind of wants to get to free agency as soon as possible. At the same time, if the Browns don’t want to risk losing Gordon (especially with no compensation) just yet, they would slap a 1st- or 2nd-round tender on him. The numbers will jump by 2019, but a 1st-round tender seems likely, which could be a 1-year deal around $5 million. If no team coughs up a first round pick for Gordon, he’d stay with the Browns through 2019.

Then, finally, Gordon would be an unrestricted free agent in 2020 — eight years after he was first drafted!

Dawgs by Nature

Basically... it sounds like the soul of Josh Gordon, as it relates to playing in the NFL, belongs to Browns and only the Browns for the years being if he manages to not mess up. Big if... and a highly doubtful one at that.

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 02/28/18 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thank you.

C
Legend
Legend
C
On the ThomaHawk podcast they talked Johnny Manziel (the whole podcast is definitely worth a listen) and the subject of Josh Gordon came up. Joe Thomas said that the coaches and players that weren't with the team when Gordon was last with the team didn't believe the stories of how he used to be because of how hard he worked and how high is character was.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
On the ThomaHawk podcast they talked Johnny Manziel (the whole podcast is definitely worth a listen) and the subject of Josh Gordon came up. Joe Thomas said that the coaches and players that weren't with the team when Gordon was last with the team didn't believe the stories of how he used to be because of how hard he worked and how high is character was.

Link

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

thanks.. i aways like hearing jt.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I've followed Josh for a long time on Instagram, and just judging by the posts and how they have changed, IMO, shows a new dedication to football. I think the corner has been turned by him. I hope I'm right.

If this kid stays clean, he could be one of the best, and I think he actually realizes this now.

As far as the Browns owning him, they should. They have put a lot of effort into him, he owes them. He is in a position to make a lot of money, and create a huge success story. If he does this right, it would be a hell of a story.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend

Listening to it right now, thanks for posting.

A
Legend
Legend
A

I wasn't impressed. John had an excuse for everything - and none of it was his fault.

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

I wasn't impressed. John had an excuse for everything - and none of it was his fault.

Yeah, it's hard to believe him since he has always said the right thing. I'm just so glad we're done with him.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I wouldn't waste 10 seconds listening to what JM has to say. Seriously, who cares?

Legend
Legend
Hue Jackson: 'We want Josh Gordon to be a Cleveland Brown for a long time'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...art_river_index

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
I wouldn't waste 10 seconds listening to what JM has to say. Seriously, who cares?
I said it somewhere else, but Manziel has always sounded like he "gets it" and never shown that he has.

Tough to believe him anymore

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
I said it somewhere else, but Manziel has always sounded like he "gets it" and never shown that he has.

Tough to believe him anymore

He was super smooth with wording and when mics were in front of him, but stupid and childish all other times. I can safely say that I'm irritated seeing his name in the headlines over these past month or so. He doesn't deserve a lick of the time/attention given to him, even if he has somehow managed to wake up. It's too late for an apology. We'll forever be the dumb team that neglected all the warning signs relating to that train wreck. Waste.

JMO of course.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

People face demons all the time in life. I try not to judge people based on their mistakes but rather how they handle them and the adversity.

I wish no ill will on Johnny. I'm disappointed in him and his time in Cleveland, but I believe he had to straighten some things out in his life, much as Gordon has. Hopefully everyone is in a better place and Johnny is a better person today than yesteryear.

I hope he makes his NFL comeback and someone gives him a shot.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I always hope for the best for everyone. I always hope that if people are having personal problems in their life, that they get them straightened out and get headed on the right track.

At the same time, when making business decisions, you have to look at their track record and the evidence of their bahavior with which to base such business decisions on. Those are two separate issues imo.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

At the same time, when making business decisions, you have to look at their track record and the evidence of their bahavior with which to base such business decisions on. Those are two separate issues imo.

I agree. That's why I hope he's in a good place and someone gives him a chance. I think he realizes how difficult it is to get where he was which is why I think he said he'd sign without any guaranteed monies. I wish him the best.

C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
I'm not going to be mad at Johnny for flaming out, he had it written all over him in college. I'm pissed that the adults in the room chose him when there were 3 franchise QBs on the board. I'm just glad that we're done with him. It was nice to hear what was happening inside the building a bit and how cool McCown is. What was really nice was hearing him apologizing for wasting Joe's seasons. Could Weeden do that? Doubtful.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

i did not think it was a ringing endorsment of gordon... and i hope jt was kidding when he said johnny was the best qb ever...

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

yea... if he holds up his side of the deal lol

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

yea... if he holds up his side of the deal lol

Yes, very iffy.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Kick him an extra 300-400k, after preseason. Josh has struggled, as we all have

A small gesture can go a long way

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: BuckDawg1946

No.

IMO you don't give him a damn thing outside the blessing to be able to play pro football after messing up after endless amount of times. The fact the commish has even let him play/reinstated should be enough of a "gesture" in my eyes.

This kid is a screw up, you wait for them not to screw up consistently before you reward them.

If he plays all season, balls out like we know he can, has no issues and looks and appears to be on the right track after the season... I'm okay with discussing a small gesture as you said.

Outside of that, you let him prove himself in an as-is bases to see if he'll do what 99% of us are waiting on him to do... screw up.

All JMO, as always.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BuckDawg1946

He basically just started drawing a salary again from his original contract. He's making more money now than he has at any point since his first season. As long as he continues to play he'll earn good money. And if he plays well, once contract time comes around, if he sticks with it, he'll be set for life. Any money problems he may have are all of his own creation, but as long as he continues to play he'll be just fine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was a teacher for a bit, perhaps it comes across in this way,

Well all struggle, we all stumble. If we as an organization can isolate, and embrace talent we can succeed. We can turn the other cheek, we can tan take the moral high ground and embrace talent. I believe this is the mark of coaching.

I think we can all relate to our backs being against the wall. Our demons are always relative. Demand more, while nurturing. In the grand scheme of the NFL, I don't think 300k will hurt.

Josh Gordon could very well relapse, I don't think it will happen, because I have faith in him. If he does, I will have compassion for him. We all have our own demons.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
V
Legend
Legend
V
The NFL is a business. Sometimes people forget that.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I will say with Hue's fashion in which he talks about JG and Dorsey's comments, it sounds like if Josh has a pinch of will to want to play here, he's welcomed with open arms and etc.

Guess I'll just have to deal with it. Only way JG isn't on the team is him messing up again. Uncomfortable. Like a sports car with a gas leak, sooner or later it'll catch fire.

Legend
Legend
Well... he's still an addict.

Now he's addicted to tattoos and absolutely shredding his body.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgEycw3Bdoe/

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
L
Legend
Legend
L
Hopefully he's growing up! I bet he's looking forward to Taylor

Last edited by lampdogg; 03/11/18 08:58 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FATE

There comes a point where it's just cheaper to dunk yourself in a vat of dye.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: FATE

He's always had a lot of tattoos. He has not always been built like a superhero.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Gordon

Link Copied to Clipboard