Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
And I go after Keenum.

The type of offense we would be running would be a terrible thing to grab Keenum.

He would fail. He needs to go on a team that would make a switch to his style of QB play. I don't see Haley switching up his playbook before he even gets it installed.

Why?

Roelisberger was not the "Big Ben" of old in Haley's offense. There were a ton of short, quick passes, that kept him from taking the abuse he did earlier in his career when he would consistently try to hold the ball forever.

What do you see in Haley's offense that Keenum could not do?

I agree that they went with shorter quick strike passes to save Big Ben from the beatings.

I don't see the fit becasue they also dialed up the home run ball a lot. Brown had a ton of catches over 20 yards. I believe about 1/3 of his catches were deep passes and Ju Ju had about 20% of his catches over 20 yards. They both averaged over 15 yards a catch. Bell really brought down the average too. He had 7.7 catch average and with around 80 catches was # 2 in receptions.

I just don't see Keenum being that guy to deliver the deep pass with enough accuracy. He doesn't have the arm for it. It's one of his limitations.

see articles here: (this one really breaks him down and talks about why he will likely be more of a one hit wonder like Derek Anderson)
https://zonecoverage.com/2018/vikings/ha...nto-postseason/

fans talking about his arm:
https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Board/102855/Contents/Is-Keenums-weak-arm-actually-touch--111504650

one on why he may or may not be a franchise QB(fan): lots of clips and explanation as well https://purpleptsd.com/why-case-keenum-can-and-cant-be-a-franchise-quarterback/
https://fullpresscoverage.com/2017/12/27/keenums-deep-balls-have-to-improve/
Oddly enough, Kizer fits more of that type of QB than Keenum does.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Keenum is said to not fit the down field passing game that both Haley and Hue run.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
And I go after Keenum.

The type of offense we would be running would be a terrible thing to grab Keenum.

He would fail. He needs to go on a team that would make a switch to his style of QB play. I don't see Haley switching up his playbook before he even gets it installed.

What kind of offense are we running? Haley has said he doesn't have a system. He molds it to the players.

If Hue was still running the O, I would agree.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Both Hue and Haley run a down field passing offense. Haley may mold/adjust his offense to the player's skills but he's not likely going to change from a down field offense to a West Coast offense just because he's saddled with a temporary QB having those skills.

You don't want to mold it to fit your bridge QB getting the whole offensive team accustomed to it only to have to mold/adjust again for your #1 pick. And you dang sure don't want to have to pick a QB in the draft to match skill sets with the bridge vet. Why make drastic changes in your philosophy to suit a guy who will be here only a short time.

You know me, I know nothing. But that's some of my thoughts on the issue.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
did I miss something?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
With Haley's verbiage, you really don't change the system, you just expand the playbook.

Just look at the number of times NE's offense has changed over the years for an example.

Depending on the personnel they want to use, it looks a lot different from week to week as well.

Still when looking at Vets and prospects, you want to find a guy that fits your system though.

Hammer #1412667 03/01/18 09:34 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Teddy's knees:

|\

Lol, I wonder what Sam Bradford's knees look like then?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Cleveland boasts a bunch of young talent. And draft picks out the wazoo. (See: six selections in the first 65 draft slots this April.) The offensive line is stout. You have Josh Gordon. This cupboard's anything but bare.

In so many forms and fashions, this sentiment always keeps coming up. Huh.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Confession time...I am in love with Sam Darnold. I fell in love with him in the '17 Rose Bowl. Penn State was the favorite, and had a commanding lead going into the 4th, but Sam put the team on his back and carried them to victory. I had liked him before, fascinated by how he took over a struggling USC team and almost single-handedly made them a champion. But that game clinched it for me.

I was sad that the Browns had picked the wrong year to have the #1 overall pick. But as bad luck would have it, they pulled off the improbable and scored the #1 pick 2 years in a row. Now they have the chance to take Darnold. I was in heaven, we got the best player in the '17 draft and still get to draft Sam in '18.

I have not liked the idea of signing Cousins. Doing so means we'll pass on my guy. Yeah he's good, but Darnold's going to be great, I know it! I've argued against Cousins, convinced it's the road to mediocrity. We have that golden opportunity to draft the next great QB.

But Cousins is growing on me. Not so much because I like Cousins or have lost interest in Darnold, but because it opens the door for drafting both Barkley and Fitzpatrick. Both those guys are going to be studs. Having both on the team along with Cousins, I GRUDGINGLY admit would be better than having Darnold and just one of them.

I hate myself already, but Cousins signing with the Browns is the best scenario...as long as we draft BOTH Barkley and Fitzpatrick.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
{}

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
j/c

Confession time...I am in love with Sam Darnold. I fell in love with him in the '17 Rose Bowl. Penn State was the favorite, and had a commanding lead going into the 4th, but Sam put the team on his back and carried them to victory. I had liked him before, fascinated by how he took over a struggling USC team and almost single-handedly made them a champion. But that game clinched it for me.

I was sad that the Browns had picked the wrong year to have the #1 overall pick. But as bad luck would have it, they pulled off the improbable and scored the #1 pick 2 years in a row. Now they have the chance to take Darnold. I was in heaven, we got the best player in the '17 draft and still get to draft Sam in '18.

I have not liked the idea of signing Cousins. Doing so means we'll pass on my guy. Yeah he's good, but Darnold's going to be great, I know it! I've argued against Cousins, convinced it's the road to mediocrity. We have that golden opportunity to draft the next great QB.

But Cousins is growing on me. Not so much because I like Cousins or have lost interest in Darnold, but because it opens the door for drafting both Barkley and Fitzpatrick. Both those guys are going to be studs. Having both on the team along with Cousins, I GRUDGINGLY admit would be better than having Darnold and just one of them.

I hate myself already, but Cousins signing with the Browns is the best scenario...as long as we draft BOTH Barkley and Fitzpatrick.

I was interested in Darnold and was looking forward to see him in the Cotton Bowl, to see him play against a quality Defense. I was not impressed. The Browns need quality improvement in many areas, not just at QB. To me, that means utilizing Free Agents as well as the draft. To improve at QB, RB, FS, CB, WR and add depth, the question is .. what are the best options to improve the team.

To me, the best option is to sign Cousins, draft Barkley and Fitzpatrick at 1 and 4, Then draft Brown ( WR Notre Dame ) and either Oliver or Hill at CB in the second round. Any other additions later in the draft or FA is icing on the cake.

JMHO

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
D
Legend
Legend
D
Kirk Cousins - QB - Redskins

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Broncos are prepared to go "all-in" on free agent Kirk Cousins.

Robinson reports the Broncos have "examined scenarios" to clear up to $50 million in cap space this offseason. The Vikings have looked like the early favorites to land the market's top player, but the Broncos and Jets appear prepared to play ball. Cousins, at least temporarily, seems poised to become the highest-paid player in the league.

Related: Broncos

Source: Yahoo SportsMar 1 - 11:00 PM

B
Legend
Legend
B
I know we would get one of them. Probably both....the only reason not is one or the other gets picked before #4.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Kirk Cousins - QB - Redskins

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Broncos are prepared to go "all-in" on free agent Kirk Cousins.

Robinson reports the Broncos have "examined scenarios" to clear up to $50 million in cap space this offseason. The Vikings have looked like the early favorites to land the market's top player, but the Broncos and Jets appear prepared to play ball. Cousins, at least temporarily, seems poised to become the highest-paid player in the league.

Related: Broncos

Source: Yahoo SportsMar 1 - 11:00 PM

If they clear 50 mil in cap space .. they lose a portion of their team as well. No one can match us, if we want him and money is his concern. We already have more than 100 mil in cap space. I do not think Elway will cripple his team when he has the 5th pick in the draft.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I know we would get one of them. Probably both....the only reason not is one or the other gets picked before #4.

That would leave Chubb.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

That would leave Chubb.

Which I wouldn't mind either...

Legend
Legend
looks like we're out of the cousins race:

Expected finalists for Kirk Cousins: Broncos, Cardinals, Jets and Vikings

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22632...ng-kirk-cousins

sucks, i was hoping we make a play for him, but oh well.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think we were never in the Cousins race.....he was using the Browns to potentially raise the price. I would almost guarantee the Jets have taken that role, and they have no realistic shot at signing him. I don't know who has or can generate the most cap space out of the Broncos, Vikings, or Cardinals, but that is the team that will sign him imo.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Swish #1413915 03/03/18 11:49 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm okay with it, unless the numbers comes out and the contract isn't as beyond high as everyone is predicting.

Legend
Legend
We'll be in the Cousin's race, if we want to, if for no other reason than to drive his price up.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
We'll be in the Cousin's race, if we want to, if for no other reason than to drive his price up.

If we choose not to, Dorsey needs to be fired before the season begins.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C

If that's the case then we should probably just fire John Dorsey now because it doesn't seem like we have any interest in Kirk Cousins.

E
Legend
Legend
E
were you joking Peen?
Fire him. We are committing to a young drafted QB not a QB that will cost us 30 mil+ I get it. We will give AJ a shot.
Fire him? Come on man!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If it's AJ, then yeah, fire him and the idiot coach that thinks he's an upgrade.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K

That's just flat out STUPID.

There's TWO QB'S in this draft that are far and away more talented than Cousins, and a helluva lot YOUNGER.

THAT'S why I want NOTHING to do with Cousins and the BS Contract he's going to get.

Grasp this thought------

Kirk Cousins---HIGHEST paid QB in the NFL.

That's just CRAZY thinking.

Now I'll go PUKE.

kwhip #1414369 03/04/18 06:39 AM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
With Cousins .. we can also get Barkley AND Fitzpatrick. We can have upgrades everywhere. Without Cousins, we spend a draft pick on a rookie that has proven nothing. One we do not know if he get the reads and survive in the NFL. We know Cousins can. He's done it,plus we get upgrades in other paces of need as well.

E
Legend
Legend
E
are you suggesting AJ would not be an improvement on kizer?

That is a pretty wild idea. And the wor fired?
Put me on the idiot list...
But I got a suggestion for you.

We had a guy walking the streets talking to himself saying all others were crazy...hmmm maybe you are being that guy calling all others idiots...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1414389 03/04/18 08:52 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Brown's fans love themselves some firings. LOL

Back to reality. I really don't think Cousins is going to sign here. I don't think it matters whether or not the Browns want him. If he has options like Denver and Minni, I just don't see him risking his career by signing in Cleveland. Hell, we have fans talking about firing the new GM before he has even made a draft pick or signed a FA. LOL......incredible!

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
If it's AJ, then yeah, fire him and the idiot coach that thinks he's an upgrade.

Based on what I'm reading, it doesn't sound as if the Browns are considered a front runner in the Cousins sweepstakes.

What so many seem to forget, it's not always the highest/best offer that convinces a free agent to sign with a team. Not every free agent looks at the Browns as their best fit.

This talk of firing people because a player doesn't sign with the Browns..that is pure unrealistic rational by those suggesting such a thing.

I would be surprised if Cousins has Cleveland as his top choice for future employment.

I'm not about to say the Browns do not have a chance, but the odds are slim, imo.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1414399 03/04/18 09:12 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Minni makes perfect sense ... there windows open now and they have all the parts around him ... they can win with him ....

Are they losing anyone in FA? .... if not, with that D and all those weapons on O ...

He’s a PERFECT FIT for them ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
An alternative explanation for our apparent lack of interest in Cousins is that Dorsey is going to go for the shock and awe approach. He can't sign yet, so why give him time to think about the negatives/have other teams try to talk him out of it. Hit him with the dollar signs when he can actually put pen to paper.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Bridgwater, Bradford or McCarron as bridge QBs could open the door to waiting on someone like Rudolph or even Mike White. I'm not advocating that by the way but I think most agree we need some sort of veteran presence as a bridge. Bridgwater or Bradford may even pan out but their injury history forces me to simply consider them as placeholders. Kizer would also benefit.

With that, if we go QB just pick whoever we think is best at #1. The #4 pick is a bonus and we can mess around with that if needed. We could trade down 6-8 spots and still pick up James or Jackson and then move back into the first to pick up the BPA, hopefully a receiver or someone like Trumaine Edmunds. We have so many options, if we walk away with just 3 elite blue chip talents including QB, we can all send Sashi a thank you card in the post. I'd be happy waiting on someone like Guice at the top of the 2nd round. I think this is a deep RB draft and although Barkley looks the part, I have too many visions (irony ) of Trent Richardson but I will admit I have not watched much of him at all.

Last edited by drobs; 03/04/18 10:26 AM.
kwhip #1414460 03/04/18 12:59 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: kwhip

That's just flat out STUPID.

There's TWO QB'S in this draft that are far and away more talented than Cousins, and a helluva lot YOUNGER.

THAT'S why I want NOTHING to do with Cousins and the BS Contract he's going to get.

Grasp this thought------

Kirk Cousins---HIGHEST paid QB in the NFL.

That's just CRAZY thinking.

Now I'll go PUKE.

Don't you see what's going on here? They're already setting up scenarios to call for firing Dorsey. It's been that way from day one. They're butt hurt that Sashi was fired and looking for any excuse to call for Dorseys job.

It's only obvious if you look at the posters attatched to it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
eotab #1414493 03/04/18 02:13 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: eotab
are you suggesting AJ would not be an improvement on kizer?

That is a pretty wild idea. And the wor fired?
Put me on the idiot list...
But I got a suggestion for you.

We had a guy walking the streets talking to himself saying all others were crazy...hmmm maybe you are being that guy calling all others idiots...lol laugh

In what way is AJ an upgrade over Kizer? Please be specific because I can't think of anything other than he has had more years of riding a bench. Kizer has played more games than AJ in the NFL and doesn't have the noodle arm that AJ has either. I can't see any benefit at all to having a QB whose only benefit is that he has watched NFL film for longer. I would rather just let Kizer play a second year in a row than to have a bum like AJ come in.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
P
Legend
Legend
P
AJ won in the games he started.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
AJ won in the games he started.

But would he without AJ green? Would he have done so on our POS team last year? I seriously doubt it.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
D
Legend
Legend
D
U know QB’s .. you’ve proven it ... how u can’t see how DIFFERENT and BETTER McCarron is than our boy ... it makes me wonder why ....

For starters McCarron is about 9 million ti,es more accurate than Kizer ... McCarron also has a history in college of taking care of the ball and being very football smart .... Kizer ... ya .. not so much ...

Come on dude ... you dont like McCaron and/or have questions about him ... i get that ... but to say u dont see how hes better than our boy .... come on man ... thats footballs version of Trump Derangement Syndrome ... wink

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't like quoting this guy, but it sounds like it could be the Vikings for Cousins... says the Jets anyway.

Link

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I don't like quoting this guy, but it sounds like it could be the Vikings for Cousins... says the Jets anyway.

Link

Broncos, Vikings, Jets... all have been rumored to be willing to drop the coin.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
J/C...I think the Vikings landing him triggers a chain reaction considering the QBs they have and would likely become available. Bridgewater and Bradford would surely command interest?

Last edited by drobs; 03/04/18 04:49 PM.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Cousins Part II

Link Copied to Clipboard