Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Will Cleveland Browns' Hue Jackson be a coach in name only? Bill Livingston

http://www.cleveland.com/livingston/index.ssf/2018/03/will_cleveland_browns_hue_jack.html

Bill Livingston, The Plain Dealer blivingston@plaind.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - I have seen the light.

I have grasped the wily machinations behind an otherwise unbelievable decision.

I understand at last why Hue Jackson -- of the "One will do," "Not a clue," "Should be through" Hues, with the pathetic, pitiful, and plainly putrid 1-31 record -- is still the Cleveland Browns' coach.

Doing no harm

The Browns' front office has simply taken a football version of a doctor's Hippocratic Oath, in which the most important rule is: First do no harm.

The way to keep the franchise out of harm's way is to keep Jackson from really coaching while owner Hotspur Haslam, obviously trying to refute his well-deserved reputation for being quick on the trigger, waits until, oh, Thanksgiving or so before making Hue really most sincerely through.

Remember Hue's big day?

Jackson is set up as a bigger figurehead than some of the coaches and general managers of the Cleveland Cavaliers in the years when LeBron James is on the roster.

Haslam, of course, never should have guaranteed Jackson's job, although it did lead to some of that trademark Browns' fans sarcasm with half-hearted celebrations on Facebook and Twitter of "Hue Jackson Day" on Jan. 31 (1-31, get it?).

What Hue won't do

As long-time friend and retired Toledo Blade sports columnist John Gugger asked in an email, how many coaching tasks are going to be missing from the Jackson portfolio this fall?

He won't be calling the plays anymore. Todd Haley will.

He wanted to trade for A.J. McCarron at quarterback. No go, in what many feel was one of the best deals the Browns didn't make.

He wants input on the draft.

No go. After the Browns drafted Cody Kessler at quarterback in the third round, Hue said, "Trust me on this one."

Why?

The Browns traded Kessler to Jacksonville this week after he showed little but a weak arm.

General manager John Dorsey will do the heavy lifting on the draft.

Quarterback whisperer?

Jackson was supposed to develop quarterbacks.

But the purported "quarterback whisperer" contracted a bad case of play-calling inanity in a bombs-away offense that magnified rookie DeShone Kizer's inaccuracy.

Down and distance prudence went out the window

The whisperer made his quarterback a tackling dummy/interception machine (choose one or both) because the protection had to be maintained for so long.

Also because Kizer had the pocket presence of change falling out of a hole in an inattentive man's pants.

Tom Brady was a sensational find in the sixth round of the draft. Kizer was a pick based on youth and potential in the second round.

Brady spent a year on the bench, learning.

Kizer was thrown to the wolves. Then benched. Then re-thrown to the wolves.

Hue had a "strong" arm, though

Jackson unlimbered the old soup bone long enough to throw Isaiah Crowell under the bus after the running back's best play of the season. It was a stupid thing to do.

So let's review:

Couldn't judge talent. Couldn't develop it. Couldn't call a decent game.

Could, however, spin the hell out of some media members and the owner. That's enough for Haslam, which says a lot.

The bottom line is the bottom-est ever

Bill Parcells said, famously, 'You are what your record says you are."

Jackson's record here is the worst for two years in NFL history.

He is still the coach, though.

Wink. Nudge

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed and forgot to eat their Wheaties this morning... sheesh lol

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Well this Bill Livingston Character seems to like Hue Jackson................

I'm not a fan of this article at all. I don't remember reading much of his stuff, and from the looks of it he seems to be a real donkey using a shovel.

I mean, seriously. What's the point of this? It's April, a time of year to be excited about the team. Things have been restructured. He's got no idea what's actually going on, and he spews this garbage.

I figured we'd fire Hue. We didn't. That's fine too. But I don't like this kind of trash. The draft's coming up. We had an exciting free agency. Why put this article together bashing our coach?

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
the thing i will say about this article is that yes, he does hold the worst record in nfl history.

he could, in theory, go 16-0 this year, and still have a 17-31 record as a HC for the browns, 25-39 overall.

thats trash. straight up.

the other thing is that no matter what SPIN JOB people try to put on this, at the end of the day, Hue wanted AJ, could've got AJ, but instead Dorsey said "nah, imma get Tyrod instead".

at the very least, it doesn't appear that Hue has much say so in the players right now. yall can say what you want, but at the end of the day, Hue wanted one player that could've been EASILY here, but Dorsey went a complete opposite direction.

i mean AJ and Tyrod are nothing alike.

that being said....i would have a massive problem if Hue was on the HC in name only. because it's not about hue's coaching ability so much as it is wasting the fan base and players time. if Dorsey would've just canned the guy (obviously Haslam said keep him), very few - if any- of us would've had an issue with it.

but i will have an issue if Dorsey's plan was to basically have Hue a placeholder until he lost X amount of games. it would've been yet another failure of a decision by Haslam as well.

I think dorsey truly does want to make this work with Hue. but i can't ignore the fact that Hue said he likes his QB's to be <insert whatever criteria> and then dorsey goes and gets the complete opposite.

i think Dorsey is fine with Hue being involved in other positions, but i wonder how much input does Hue have in who we actually draft at QB?

cause its certainly plausible that maybe Dorsey values Haley's judgement over Hue's. its something to think about.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
You know your life sucks when you spend your day searching the internet for articles to push an agenda.

rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
You know your life sucks when you spend your day searching the internet for articles to push an agenda.

rofl

rofl rofl rofl

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
A
Legend
Legend
A

rofl

You probably oughta shouldn't talk about oldcold like that.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Perhaps he should be bashing Sashi.1-31 will get you a lot of well deserved criticism.
Nothing in the article is false,it's his view and he's entitled to it.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

rofl

You probably oughta shouldn't talk about oldcold like that.

I admit Vambo isn't the only poster who qualifies under that description. lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

rofl

Local Cleveland area reporter no search needed, apparently if someones opinion varies from yours you just make child like remarks and third grade personal attacks and your mob cheers you on.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Hey, funny is funny. Everybody knows your shtick.

#gmstrong
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
Perhaps he should be bashing Sashi.1-31 will get you a lot of well deserved criticism.
thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie

Sure, but it's like that "If Hue is fired mid season" thread or whatever.

I just don't see the point.

Hue's going to be the coach. This is the offseason. The Regular season is miserable. Don't make this miserable too

Why the negative spin in the offseason?

Honestly, I don't want to read that article right now. That trash should be written toward the end of a crappy season. Not when hope is in the air

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
P
Legend
Legend
P
Look Dorsey is the new Sheriff or let's say the new Captain of this ship, which was sinking fast, now he is raising it up and Hue is just along for the ride, and it may be a short ride for him ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Hue's going to be the coach for the next two years... thats what expansion teams do... on top of that a #1 overall pick at QB that you dont want to confuse with new coaching... yep.. atleast two more years

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh there's a point. Stir crap up by posting opinion pieces further trashing and junking up a message board that used to be pretty good.

See, here's what he does. He posts BS to get people worked up. To spread division. Then somehow tries to twist that into blaming the people who point it out.

It's like he thinks it's the political forum.

#gmstrong
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Oh there's a point. Stir crap up by posting opinion pieces further trashing and junking up a message board that used to be pretty good.

See, here's what he does. He posts BS to get people worked up. To spread division. Then somehow tries to twist that into blaming the people who point it out.

It's like he thinks it's the political forum.

You mean like you are doing here?

You didn't have to respond if you felt the article had no merit but by your tantrum the truth of it hurts your feelings.

The easiest way to get rid of a thread is to not respond it will go away on it's own.

Last edited by Vambo; 03/30/18 03:39 PM.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
some of us enjoy wallowing in misery year round

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
Legend
Legend

Wasted space.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If he has less duties this year I think it's exactly what most people wanted! I don't want the HC so mired in chores he can't make critical decisions.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't make the news. I just report it.

#gmstrong
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Wasted space.

The point Bill Livingston was making. thumbsup

T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
Yup, head cheerleader/coach type like Tomlin. Was told right before Haley was hired (by a certain know it all) that I was wrong. With certain structures almost anyone can be a head coach, even worked for Cowher drooling all over the place.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I like Bill Livingston. Always seems to hit the nail on the head.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
This time he smashed his thumb. lmao

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Pointless! What is it a re-cap? on March 30th?
What's the point?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
This time he smashed his thumb. lmao

No, it seems he smashed your thumb.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
What's the point?

When was it discussed about "Hue Jackson be a coach in name only?" ?

Hue being fired has been discussed but never seen this topic here before.

You may not see the point but others may wish to discuss it why not let them have the chance without the snarky comments and personal attacks?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Like your persistent attacks on hue? lmao

Just another trash thread and board clutter.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
That is your opinion. I liked the article.

If it is such a bad topic, why spend so much time?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Hey I just have a firm grasp of the obvious. From the responses it seems most posters do. And thanks to the post jumping feature it doesn't take that much time to respond. lol

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
We know exactly who he's baiting.

Vers will be along shortly.

Pathetic. Yet another thread shot down by morning.

Legend
Legend
What a total load of rubbish. This isn't journalism, and it can hardly qualifies reporting.

No agenda here. Hue has issues. He needs to address those. If he only learned from his mistakes, he would be raw gold.

This was lame. I resent the character assault.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: kwhip

Vers will be along shortly.

I bet he won't.

Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
That is your opinion. I liked the article.

If it is such a bad topic, why spend so much time?

Yet not one of those call the article trash can refute any of the facts written in the article so they ridicule others.

It's an opinion you can disagree, agree and debate your view of why but to just post snarky remarks is not adding anything to the board.

Last edited by Vambo; 03/30/18 06:13 PM.
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
What a total load of rubbish. This isn't journalism, and it can hardly qualifies reporting.

No agenda here. Hue has issues. He needs to address those. If he only learned from his mistakes, he would be raw gold.

This was lame. I resent the character assault.

This is his second Head Coaching job how long does it take?

Pat Shurmur went 9-23 as head coach with Weedon and Colt and Trent.

How bad did most of you bash him?

Last edited by Vambo; 03/30/18 06:21 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bill Livingston is one of the few Cleveland sports journalists I like to read. His book "Above and beyond" was pretty awesome.

There seems to be some agenda posting in this thread, but it's by the people attacking it.

He's not the only one noticing the emperor has no clothes and the 1-31 head coach still owes the Cleveland fan base a jump in the lake.

He's been writing for the PD since back when I was in High School.

Livingston was one of the few guys cautioning everyone about what a mistake it would be to throw huge long term money at DA. He wanted us to tag him and then see if anyone tried to sign him anyway. We could either have taken the picks or matched the offer then. Sure enough, we got scared and threw it all at him and then got rid of him as soon as he stumbled.

The usual suspects have a hard time when you point out something that is pretty clear to everyone else.

Hue is a HC right now in name only.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
A good HC lets his coaches do their job. It seems Livingston doesn't like that. Todd's offense is very similar to the run Hue likes to run so I don't see where Hue needs to call plays. A real leader finds the best people he can for each job or position. We have a OC and a DC that are very tough minded on players and we have a HC who is great at motivation and smoothing things over. I think it's the perfect coaching set up for long term success.

Hue just has to make sure the systems they use become the Browns' system and we have coaches ready to use them when the OC and DC move on to be HCs themselves after finding success here. Then again these guys take the Browns to a superbowl then they might never want to leave because they will be Gods in Cleveland.

At the very least we will win several games this season. Dorsey is making sure he has players for his coaches.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Vambo
What's the point?

You may not see the point but others may wish to discuss it why not let them have the chance without the snarky comments and personal attacks?

My apology,
1. When I made that response I had only seen the original post and no responses due to slow loading.
2. My response was meant for the writer of the article, Bill Livingston, not you.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Vambo
What's the point?

My apology,
1. When I made that response I had only seen the original post and no responses due to slow loading.
2. My response was meant for the writer of the article, Bill Livingston, not you.

No problem. Thanks

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Will Cleveland Browns' Hue Jackson be a coach in name only? Bill Livingston

Link Copied to Clipboard