Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
I could be wrong but I thought this guy had a monster game in the playoffs s few years ago

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Our ST was terrible last year. Guys like him and Carder make a living on ST. Sashi killed the bottom of our roster, thus killing our ST.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Love his size and special teams play. Hate that he doesn't catch with his hands. I wonder if he'll make it past camp.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
How is this guys downfield blocking?

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Love his size and special teams play. Hate that he doesn't catch with his hands. I wonder if he'll make it past camp.

Looked to me like he used his hands on every catch. Good size and speed. Reminds me of the way Cribbs was on returns. Straight ahead with one good cut and turn on the speed. The ST plays were something I like. I also like that Rogers was not afraid to go to him in clutch moments.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
I think 3 things,
1. Mayfields going to have a great career wherever he goes,
2. I think the Browns are down to 2, Darnold and Mayfield, with Darnold out in front.
3. I think it would be much easier to swallow, if I'm wrong, watching Darnold have his ok career somewhere else and seeing the Browns stuck with Mayfield,
then vice versa watching Mayfield have a great career with the Jet's or whomever and seeing the Browns stuck with a just ok career from Darnold.

But, I'll admit I don't know anything.

Back to Jeff Janis; You can never have too many good wide receivers.
Does the Janis signing put Jabrill Peppers on the bubble?

I don't know anything either, but I trust Dorsey 'enough' that whoever he takes should do well for us.

Peppers won't be on the defensive bubble, but he shouldn't be returning anything on the field next season. What did he have, one decent return?

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Look again. He's catching everything into his body, or cradling the OTS passes.

#gmstrong
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Look again. He's catching everything into his body, or cradling the OTS passes.

I don’t see it either. There were a couple body catches, but those seemed more out of necessity.

[color:"white"]I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane -Waylon Jennings
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
With him we probably won't be drafting Daunte Pettis . Ohh well smirk

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgwood
With him we probably won't be drafting Daunte Pettis . Ohh well smirk

If Jeff Janis affects any of our draft picks, then the people running this team should/will not be around long.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would say point out one pure hands catch, I couldn't find a single one. I thought the first couple were flukes because they were OTS so I started looking and couldn't find any. In that sampling, small though it is, he catches everything into his body.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
3. I think it would be much easier to swallow, if I'm wrong, watching Darnold have his ok career somewhere else and seeing the Browns stuck with Mayfield, then vice versa watching Mayfield have a great career with the Jet's or whomever and seeing the Browns stuck with a just ok career from Darnold.

It's funny you say that because I think about it all often. I feel the same but in all reality if we don't draft the quarterback who will have had the best career the pick will be questioned.

Back to Janis before we get yelled at by the cops for hijacking. rolleyes

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yeah GM, he had that hail mary catch against Arizona

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I figured he is a ST pickup, but I am OK with it if he becomes much more. Seems like we are now trying to "raise the middle" with stronger secondary roster.

Looking forward to the Draft!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Another strong indication that Dorsey is going Allen. We're going to be throwing a lot of Hail Mary's, while not necessarily being full of grace.

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

7 catches for 145 yards and 2 TD's that game. thumbsup

E
Legend
Legend
E
Nice pick up...good up side.

btw Cal, he caught a come back and he caught a slant both with his hands. Don't think he's a body catcher just most of his opportunities actually were with the body in congestion for TDs.

Kid has more potential than I thought, he's more than a ST player.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
Cal, he caught a come back and he caught a slant both with his hands.

I think you guys are seeing what you want to see because he's a Brown now wink I just watched the video again and he cradles everything into his body, catching with mainly with his forearms and body instead his hands. Like I said before, this is a very small sampling and may not be representative of how he actually plays. I'll try to find some college tape on him because I can't believe he was drafted even in the seventh round if he can't catch with his hands. I do love his size, speed, and fire.

Edit: Definitely a body catcher. It costs him contested passes and passes that are "out of range". In fact, it's somewhat surprising when he does actually make a catch with his hands. You can find tape on his 2012 & 2013 seasons, though the quality is poor.

Last edited by CalDawg; 03/31/18 09:41 AM. Reason: Additional info.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
Originally Posted By: chirp30
Sure can tell there’s a new sheriff in town. The days of just showing up a getting a roster spot handed to you are over. Time to earn your spot and if you want to keep it produce on Sundays. May have a complete roster overhaul by opening day!

Let's put a stop this BS line of thinking right now.
Every coupla years someone new comes in and they bring "their own guys".
Someone will invariably post the same thing you did.
Which begs the question,aren't "their own guys "guaranteed a roster spot?
If the answer is yes,then we are right back where we where,with a different set of guys.
It's like the movie Groundhog Day.Every coupla years you and I can have this conversation.
Good-bye then,I'll talk to you in 2020.

Ahh come on, let us enjoy..... For however fleeting the feeling, allow us to enjoy it.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Here’s a question, body catches or not, what is his catch/drop ratio?

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Riddler
J/C

Looks like we figured out this years Brandon Rideau a few months early. wink

Another Frisman Jackson to root for.

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
I only watched the highlight video and based off that i can see why u think hes a body catcher .... i’m with tabber ... hes not a body catcher ... he gets the ball to his body quicker than any reciever I’ve ever seen .... it almost looks like he doesnt use them .... IMO he does ...

MORE IMPORTANTLY .... just talked to a bud of mine thats a packer fan and knows the game ... Janis does not have a problem catching the ball ... he was given opportunities to be the #4 a few times but could never earn Rogers trust .... not a good route runner and not consistently where he was suppose to be when needed to be there ...

Says hes from a small school and maybe he can possibly be a late bloomer do to coaching and working at it ...

said he works hard and is a great teammate and one of the best gunners in the league .... OK in return game,not great ... i told him OK is a huge upgrade form us just like this kid can possibly be as a 4th or possibly 3rd reciever ...

IMO he’s all ready better than Higgins and Louis and I expect him to be better than Coleman once given the chance ....

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Another strong indication that Dorsey is going Allen. We're going to be throwing a lot of Hail Mary's, while not necessarily being full of grace.
brownie

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Take a look at his college tape if you have time, particularly 2013 and see what you think (it also shows misses & drops not just catches) I'm interested in your take on that early film. And, yes I would hope coaching since then has helped but the pro sampling is very small. I want to see him catch with my own eyes.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I would like to find the time to check that out myself as his hands look pretty good to me as well. HOWEVER all I have to go by is that short video of catches so far.

However I believe he is our 4th best WR on the roster right now, he can return kicks, AND he will be a gunner on our kick coverage, so he does improve our roster at two different positions right now. cool

D
Legend
Legend
D
Ill go check it out ... just to let u know ... even if i dont like what i see in the college tape ... i’ll admit I didn’t like what i saw but I will remain optomistic (regardless of how intelligent that is ... *L*) that he will be an improvement over Coleman ...

It wouldn’t shock me depending on how the draft goes and whose available if we dont draft someone in rnd 2 that pushes Janis and Coleman down the list ...

Ill go look at the tape at some point and let u know what i think after that ...

Legend
Legend
The video obviously doesn't tell the whole story, but the biggest thing I saw was Aaron Rogers throwing nearly every pass between the numbers. Hard not to catch with your body when every pass is right in your bread basket! Seems to have solid hands, just very quickly moves the ball to his body. Also notice on kick returns that he seems pretty adept at protecting the ball and always moving the ball to the side of his body away from defenders. Maybe just well schooled at tucking and protecting the ball? Has ZERO fumbles for his career, so that falls in line.

Looked online to see if he has many drops, had one very big one that would have gone for a long TD. What I ran across was that his faults lie mostly in route running and understanding where he needs to be. McCarthy also has said he has problems "tracking the ball". I see a lot of receivers that seem to have problems with depth perception, react late, and many times don't trust their hands (i.e... "body catches).

The biggest thing I ran across was this article... THIS is why Janis is a Brown.

https://www.totalpackers.com/2017/08/jeff-janis-new-tim-tebow/

Quote:

JEFF JANIS IS THE NEW TIM TEBOW

Admit it, you either love him or hate him. The battle lines are drawn, and there’s little use in trying to change the set minds of people at this point. So how did Jeff Janis come to be so polarizing?

Janis never launched any public relations campaign. He’s not boastful, a showboater, or a self-promoter. The Hype Train, as Janis fans are sometimes called, formed very naturally. What he did in the 2014 training camp, and then again in 2015 – and is doing again this summer, after spending the 2016 preseason in a hand cast, is make plays – many of them big and spectacular.

I’ve gone through Jeff’s history a number of times, but for new readers, for anyone who still might possess an open mind, and for those who think his good showing this preseason is a surprise, let me recap.

Three Years of Futility
In 2014, as the seventh-round draft choice out of Division II Saginaw Valley State, Jeff barely got to play in the preseason. He had two passes thrown his way. They both went for touchdowns, 33 and 34 yards.

His very first catch in a game as a pro was a simple dump-off, one yard past the line of scrimmage and between the hash marks. Janis simply left all Rams’ defenders in his wake as he swung to the sideline and turned the corner. It was electrifying and a love affair by the fans had begun.

In 2015, Janis was the dominant receiver in preseason, this time catching 10 balls, and taking three of them into the endzone.

Despite his preseason success, Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy barely gave him any playing time in either of his first two years. Janis, unbelievably, had only two regular season catches in 2014, and two more in 2015.

Finally, Fat Mike was left with no choice, due to injuries, but to insert Janis into the lineup in the second quarter of a playoff game with the Cardinals, following the 2015 season. Jeff’s seven-catch 145-yard, two-touchdown performance in that near-miracle comeback and overtime loss, is simply one of the finest receiving displays in NFL postseason history. And Janis got only 55 percent of the offensive snap counts in the game!

Janis fans were confident that he’d finally get a chance to show what he could do in the 2016 season. We were wrong. For the third year in a row, McCarthy refused to play him beyond token snaps or when he simply had no other healthy receivers. Even then, Janis continued to show his knack for making big plays and getting into the endzone.

After spending several weeks in a hand cast to start the 2016 season, Janis was allowed to catch 11 passes on the season. Despite other receivers playing with injuries, a healthy Janis was targeted one time in the last five games of the season.

Never mind that Janis has also looked sharp as a kick returner. Never mind that even McCarthy admits he’s a great special teams player and an “Olympian” in the weight room. Janis has had but one chance in three years under McCarthy to play a good portion of a game. The nation saw the result against Arizona.

The reason Janis is polarizing is simply because McCarthy won’t play him, so all those who blindly believe in the genius of our coach have concluded Janis is no good, he’s a failure, and he should be let go. This will be the fourth year in a row Janis is considered to be on the bubble for making the final roster.

The McCarthy Coverup
Tellingly, it was Fat Mike who added fuel to the Janis debate in the aftermath of that heartbreaking loss to the Cardinals.

Most fans can readily picture that final catch, with time having run out, Aaron Rodgers hurled the ball up for grabs, and Janis went 15 yards to chase it down and out-battle All-Pro cornerback Patrick Peterson for the catch. Rodgers was credited with a sensational throw; Janis’ two catches for 101 yards (there was a five-yard penalty) on that final drive have ever since been labeled “flukes” by his detractors – even though he’s been making such big plays going back to high school.

Why in the world would the coach, two days later in Green Bay at his season-ending press conference, criticize and belittle the player who performed such heroics? Here’s what Fat Mike said:

“I think Jeff Janis is one of those examples you look for. You look for players to take a jump in their second year and some guys do it at a different point in the season. Jared Abbrederis and Jeff Janis need to earn their opportunities. I thought Jeff struggled in the preseason. I had him in my office for a film session and I thought he picked it up on special teams. He did some big-time things for us. Really as a receiver, he was inconsistent. He had some chances, up-and-down. What’s really impressive about the performance of Jeff as a receiver in Arizona is we didn’t take him off special teams.”

That’s called damning with faint praise.

Revisionist History
The fact is: McCarthy has flat-out never given this incredible athlete a fair chance. Instead, after the Cardinals’ game, he’s taken to blaming Janis, not himself, for his lack of prior playing time.

When was Janis given chances as a receiver in 2015? If he was so inconsistent, as McCarthy later claimed, during that preseason, how did he manage 10 catches and three touchdowns in the preseason games?

I followed Janis’ progress like a magnet in 2014 and 2015. He was a preseason star both years, both at practices and when given a chance in preseason games. Back then, no one was carping about route-running, about Janis being “raw,” or about up-and-down performances. That’s all part of the coverup.

What were people talking about in 2015? Let me take you back to October 18, 2015, when Janis got his only two catches on the year. The first one wasn’t even thrown to him, but he came out of nowhere to make a sliding 46-yard catch on Aaron Rodgers’ overthrow. The other was a simple underhanded flip, which Janis turned into a 33-yard ramble.

After that game, people were talking about Janis, and some reporter got these responses when he asked some Packers’ defensive backs about the “surprise” showing:

“(Janis is a) great, great, great deep ball threat.” – Quinten Rollins

“Man, Janis is a hell of a player. Speed? You can’t teach that.” – Sam Shields

“I knew he was fast the first day I stepped in (a drill) at camp. His is deceptive-looking fast because he’s so long-legged.” – Damarious Randall (who insists Janis has 4.3, not 4.4, speed)

“That boy is fast… The first 10 yards, you think you have him, and after that he’s just flying.” – Micah Hyde

None of these defensive backs could fathom why Janis wasn’t in the lineup.

The Great Agility Myth
As long as I’m venting, let’s put to rest the notion Janis is “stiff-hipped,” that he has no moves, and that all he can do is run fast in a straight line.

A player’s agility is measured by two tests at the NFL Combine: the 20-yard short shuttle and the 3-cone drill. Janis’ times are 3.98 and 6.64, for a cumulative agility time of 10.62 seconds. I challenge anyone (mockdraftable.com is one source) to name a player anywhere near Janis’ 6’3” and 219-pound size who can beat that cumulative time – any team, any position, any era.

Wrap-up
My conclusion: Janis has possessed enormous ability from the day he arrived in Green Bay and McCarthy has squandered his talent.

After the heartbreaking loss to the Cardinals, McCarthy was besieged by reporters asking why Janis hadn’t been playing. He either had to admit he mistakenly failed to give Janis a fair chance to play, or that Janis really wasn’t much of a receiver – and he chose the latter.

I went into much more detail last summer. In fact, I examined 589 receivers since the late 1990s who’ve taken the NFL Combine tests, looking to see who had the best combination of size, speed, agility, and strength. Jeff Janis came out numero uno!

To not put this guy on the field is an unpardonable offense, and a permanent stain on McCarthy’s coaching ability.

After McCarthy’s continued snub throughout the 2016 season and playoffs, I urged the Packers to do the right thing: “Trade Jeff Janis.”

More than ever, that continues to be my plea. Janis deserves better than to be Fat Mike’s whipping boy. I don’t really care about his special teams play. He’s made to be a receiver. For the good of the team, and for Janis himself, let’s clear a roster spot for someone McCarthy is willing to play.

And, yes, I do continue to think Janis has trade value.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I think Wolf, Highsmith, and Dorsey have a different opinion of Janis than "Fat Mike". They drafted him and McCarthy hardly played him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for sharing. Interesting article, the writer is obviously a fan. I wonder why McCarthy says he was blowing oportunities. He does have deceptive speed, he's kind of like Gordon in that sense, you don't realize how fast he's going because of his smooth, gliding stride. I wanted a big guy on the outside opposite Gordon, it would be great if Janis turns into that. Personally, if I had any say in the matter, I'd run him through some drills where he has to stretch out or go up and grab the ball with his hands. If I was happy with that I'd start coaching up his route running. He certainly has the physical gifts.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Right on. While the writer has an obvious slated take, it seems fairly evident that inconsistency from both coaching and the player may have been the biggest obstacles to success. As Hammer stated, our FO thinks the kid has a shot and maybe sees these inconsistencies for what they are - and something that may be correctable. There's always something to be said for players given a second chance by someone that knows what they need to change and says "I believe in you, we just need to fix x, y and z". Upside - huge, downside - well, there is none. Great move by the FO.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think it is important to mention that the Packers offense is highly dependent on a number of hand signals given by Rodgers. It could be that Janis was never able to pick those up to get on the field enough.

I think Tyrod Taylor's skill-set will mesh well with Janis as well. We will have to wait and see.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Sounds to me like the guy needs his eyes checked.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I thought you were going to say it was probably tough for him to get on the field with guys like Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, and James Jones ahead of him on the depth chart.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't care how he catches it. The point is he catches it.

He has size, speed, and the ability to catch the ball. What's not to like?

He beats out Louis or Higgins.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

jc...

Those so worried about WRs not fitting the exact mold they envision as a must to play WR are focused on the wrong qualities...Janis caught the football 246 times in 4 yrs of college football, obviously he can catch the ball.

We might see Janis used as TE at times, where defenses might have some match up issues. Janis, at 6-3, 220 lbs and ran a 4.42/40 at the combine..Janis may be used as a WR/TE at times.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Interesting addition. I sincerely hope he's half as good as some of the reports. According to the one article he sounds like he's a HOFer that landed on a badly coached team.

I'll believe it when i see it. . . . Every year the Browns have their own camp hero that half the fans think is going to end up going to the pro bowl, only to see the guy cut out assigned to the practice squad.

Janis will surely get every opportunity with the Browns. fingers crossed.

Last edited by mgh888; 04/01/18 08:11 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
E
Legend
Legend
E
So you are saying he didn't catch the slant with his hands, he didn't catch that comeback with his hands???

Most of his hi-lights were over the shoulder catches of the bomb neither hands nor body involved. He had to do what he did.

His data base was very small. He had a lot of tight window TE type of catches for TDs or first downs with impact iminent.
He caught it exactly how he should have.

There were only two opportunities to catch with his hands in that entire hi-light and he did so.

Actually I came onto this post to state he is nothing but a ST player that we signed.

Only to be more impressed than what I thought of not this OH HE's a Brown so Eotab is a HOMER he must be seeing things.

So again are you saying those 2 and only 2 passes he didn't catch with his hands?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
I googled Jeff Janis college video .... only a 7:30 highlight video came up ... I couldn’t tell squat from that ... i watched about a minute and a half and was done .... he could have been catching them with his feet for all i could tell .... *L* ....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Try this. Like I said, the quality is poor but see what you think.

link

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
https://twitter.com/Browns/status/979759654006874113

I'll be honest, I like this signing quite a bit. He might be a diamond in the rough and a good option w/so much attention on Gordon/landry

Next Christian McCaffrey? shocked

I did like him in the draft as a later round prospect.

Maybe more of a Cole Beasley?

Probably more like Steve Largent.

I would take Joe Jurevicius.

Well he is a J.J.
I would be happy if he where half as good as J.J

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 04/01/18 10:55 AM.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Sign WR Jeff Janis

Link Copied to Clipboard