Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
"Too much water under the bridge."

Well, it is water under the bridge. If the kid is clean this long and can perform on the field, there's no reason not to make an offer this season (based on his availability, of course). That was a second round pick SIX years ago. When I look at the squandered talent and draft picks, I'm fine with going all in on potential HOF talent.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Quote:
whats the risk? he gets suspended again and we don't have to pay him?

Pretty simpele. The risk is.... if he's suspended again he's gone forever and we lost out on high draft pick in the 2018 draft.

This years wr pool looks really good. May as well get on track with some fresh new blood that hasn't screwed us up big time like Josh has and is a risk to do it again. It's the best time to get something for Josh and to cut him loose before that happens again. He gets a fresh start and so do we.

That still doesn't mean we dump Gordon or not draft a receiver.

If we stand pat, we aren't drafting a receiver there.

We would draft one in the 2nd round, or later in the first with sort of trade.

I think we do sign a receiver. I doubt we are able to sign both Gordon and Landry. Both are going to seek major contracts. We will have to fill the void for one of them...if not both.

Let's say we stand pat and have to go in to the 2nd round. My guess is at that point we draft the best receiver and go and probably back. I am think Dorsey has to give up something. With all the DBs we drafted, he may seek one later, but is willing to go in to the season pretty much with what we have.

Then again, it is a deep RB class. Maybe we go corner early, then use that last 3nd rounder for a back. We do have the ability to move up from pick 64, maybe up towards the 50th pick

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
A couple of 200 yard plus games and he's worth a 1st rounder plus again. Another failed test and we'd be hard pressed to get a 6th or 7th rounder for him.

Right now, a 4th sounds about right.

Well if he's suspended, I'm not sure we can trade him. So he's worthless if he gets suspended. Also why would a team trade a first round pick for a 27 year old wr with 1 year left on his contract and is one suspension away from having to retire? The NFL is a risk averse business.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
A couple of 200 yard plus games and he's worth a 1st rounder plus again. Another failed test and we'd be hard pressed to get a 6th or 7th rounder for him.

Well if he's suspended, I'm not sure we can trade him. So he's worthless if he gets suspended. Also why would a team trade a first round pick for a 27 year old wr with 1 year left on his contract and is one suspension away from having to retire? The NFL is a risk averse business.

Same reason a team might consider (2) 1st round picks for a prima donna problem child whose most recent pic was in a hotel room with a hooker and blow...

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Nobody is giving up a first round pick for Gordon. That's even less likely than someone giving up 2 firsts for Beckham, if that's possible.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Haus
Nobody is giving up a first round pick for Gordon. That's even less likely than someone giving up 2 firsts for Beckham, if that's possible.

Not saying they are in either case... just saying people get crazy when they see elite talent. Willing to look past baggage and pay a high price.

I predict JG will bring offers for a 2nd round pick sometime in 2018 (but I'm not the Swami).

Legend
Legend
I'd say we maybe could get a 3rd, tops

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
For us to get a first or second, we'd need to play Josh for the season which would entail:

1. He doesn't screw up again and is serviceable all season.
2. He actually plays like we all know he can.

... as of current, yeah I see a possible 3rd at most given up for a star but troubled player. Jmo.

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
I would take a receiver in the 2nd or possibly trade back into the 1st. I would try to trade Gordon as I have said in the past. You can't trust him to stay clean, give 100% on every play or to not become a distraction. I remember Gordon loafing through routes and not fighting for the ball when Hoyer was our QB.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
For us to get a first or second, we'd need to play Josh for the season which would entail:

... as of current, yeah I see a possible 3rd at most given up for a star but troubled player. Jmo.

I still say there's a team out there that would give up more. Any GM worth his weight could make it happen.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: FATE

Same reason a team might consider (2) 1st round picks for a prima donna problem child whose most recent pic was in a hotel room with a hooker and blow...

Exactly why no one has considered that offer! Although OBJ's situation is different, because he won't be reprimanded for his picture and as long as he's clean the one time a year he gets tested, he won't be suspended in any way. Also if he were to pee dirty he would only have a 2 game suspension instead of being out a year.

People are crazy if they think Gordon will be traded. For Gordon to be worth a 2nd he'll have to have an all-pro year, at which point he's a RFA and can be tendered with a pick. Get off this trade Gordon train and wish the dude the best.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

Exactly why no one has considered that offer! Although OBJ's situation is different, because he won't be reprimanded for his picture and as long as he's clean the one time a year he gets tested, he won't be suspended in any way. Also if he were to pee dirty he would only have a 2 game suspension instead of being out a year.

People are crazy if they think Gordon will be traded. For Gordon to be worth a 2nd he'll have to have an all-pro year, at which point he's a RFA and can be tendered with a pick. Get off this trade Gordon train and wish the dude the best.

i dont know... banner had a deal worked out for a 2nd for the thug... but then again banner got a 1rst for trent lmao

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend

Me? I ain't on the trade Gordon train. No way in hell I'd trade him. If he had an all-pro year, I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd OR a first... okay, maybe top 5 first. We've invested this much time and energy, I'm keeping him here until I can't afford him or he gets busted.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

I still say there's a team out there that would give up more. Any GM worth his weight could make it happen.

Then I hope JD is listening/taking the calls. I just believe the staff is committed to Josh and his progress made with rehab now. I think Hue, for one, is completely behind him. I don't think anything short of insane would make JD want to move Gordon and away from Haley's scheme/playbooks.

E
Legend
Legend
E
So let me get this straight he's still young we have kept him all these years and this is the best he looks like he's going to make. And some are saying trade him NOW,!?

The kid is every bit as good as OBJ...worth the risk as little it seems to be.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Rookie
Rookie
D
They're not trading josh.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
the amount of comments when I logged in on this thread gave me anxiety.

I don't think that we would give up on Gordon. His talent is too rate.

Granted, we have a new FO that has 0 invested in Gordon. The only people have anything invested are the fans.

Reagardless, I don't want him to leave.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: eotab
So let me get this straight he's still young we have kept him all these years and this is the best he looks like he's going to make. And some are saying trade him NOW,!?

Gordon has good has OBJ.... LOL

Gordon is a distraction to the team. He has done much more harm than good,hope he changes, but it was evident by the end of the season that he didn't.

His behavior on the field is, IMHO, inexcusable.

OBJ is a future HOFER, great player, great attitude on the field.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
What?
OBJ's antics on and off the field are the reasons the Giants are even considering trading him.The owners have said he has been an embarrassment to the franchise.
You don't like Gordon and want him traded,fine.OBJ is a generational talent,but his distractions are beginning to out weigh his talents.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: rastanplan
Originally Posted By: eotab

Gordon has good has OBJ.... LOL

Gordon is a distraction to the team. He has done much more harm than good,hope he changes, but it was evident by the end of the season that he didn't.

His behavior on the field is, IMHO, inexcusable.

OBJ is a future HOFER, great player, great attitude on the field.

What did Gordon do the end of last season ?? Smoking weed ?? Drinking ?? Tearing up rental properties with Manziel ??

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Talking about his attitude on the field, not is off-field attitude.

He came up strong on the first games, but then he was absent,played like he didn't care..

That is my impression, I never liked him, his attitude, and how his starting position was just given, so I may be biased. But a player that did what he did, came up to play and practice under the influence, has much to prove.

I would gladly trade or cut him, don't think a 1-31 team has to put up with this type of players,no matter how much potential they have.

OBJ is a whole different type of player, comparing him to Gordon is absurd.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C

He came up strong on the first games, but then he was absent,played like he didn't care..

That is my impression, I never liked him, his attitude, and how his starting position was just given, so I may be biased. But a player that did what he did, came up to play and practice under the influence, has much to prove.

I would gladly trade or cut him, don't think a 1-31 team has to put up with this type of players,no matter how much potential they have.

Wanting to trade or cut Gordon is absurd. Like it or not, he is good at what he does. We need people who are good at what they do. Just as in any occupation, if you are one of the best at what you do are going to get more leniency than other employees. We've held on to him for this long, it's worth the risk. We lose nothing by keeping him even if he screws up. Sure, maybe a draft pick, but I'm tired of draft picks - I want good players, and he is one of them. It's not like he's out abusing women, killing people, or getting in fights. He smokes some weed and is (hopefully WAS) an idiot about it.

#gmstrong
G
2nd String
2nd String
G

I agree.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
It's not like he's out abusing women, killing people, or getting in fights.

guy sells drugs and does drive by shooting... slapping a woman around a little would be pretty mild stuff for the thug..

O
Legend
Legend
O
IIRC, he said he carried a gun, but never actually did a drive-by... feel free to correct me here. If my memory is correct, I'd also argue this is not splitting hairs.

Shifting focus... through the lens of playing on an NFL football team, Gordon and OBJ are more similar than some are willing to admit. I think their hate for Gordon and the roller coaster he's taken us on has blinded them. Gordon and OBJ are both generational talents. OBJ has been smarter than Gordon up until now in that he hasn't been busted over and over (and over) again, but he causes problems on the field... he's a headcase. In the end, the result is the same... Giants are looking into trading OBJ (generational talent that he is), just like we were with Gordon a little bit ago.

Trouble is, OBJ is due to be paid now. We have Gordon on the cheap for the next year or so.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
drive by, really?

Wow

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: texaslostdawg
drive by, really?

Wow

-1 tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
drive by, really?

Wow

Yes, he also tried to assassinate the pope and was responsible for the 2009 financial crisis.

Legend
Legend
Hey' I'm all for "comparing and contrasting"... til you're coming from the angle of "OBJ - future HOFer... Josh Grodon - should be cut".

Drugs? Carrying a gun? Welcome to the world of 25% of the players in professional sports. This discussion has now turned to things he did when he was 15-16 years old, growing up in the ghetto. Is he WR or a presidential candidate?

Wow.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
drive by, really?

Wow

Yes, he also tried to assassinate the pope and was responsible for the 2009 financial crisis.

its what the thug himselfe said.. why would gordon lie?

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I am fairly certain he said he was involved in a drive by, did I misunderstand something?

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Quote:
Is he WR or a presidential candidate?

Given the way things are in this day and age, either one would find just as much leniency depending on who you asked.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
drive by, really?

Wow

Well yea so?

Joe Thomas #73
O
Legend
Legend
O
I may be wrong, but I remember him saying he carried but I don't remember him saying he was involved in a drive-by. Two different things.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
It never ceases to amaze me how most everyone posting here would like this team to run a lot like how BB runs the Patriots. But never wants a BB like decision to be made.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
It never ceases to amaze me how most everyone posting here would like this team to run a lot like how BB runs the Patriots. But never wants a BB like decision to be made.

We’re too desperate for good players.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Legend
Legend

Yet BB is famous for pulling in the leagues "ne'er do wells" and making them get their acts together. If this was a BB led team - Gordon would have been put on the straight and narrow from the first suspension. If this were the Patriots - he would have taken a hard look at what he could lose. We're neither, yet... it's a work in progress and a long distance from point A to point B. No way Bill would cut Gordon if he were the coach of the 0-16 Browns.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

Yet BB is famous for pulling in the leagues "ne'er do wells" and making them get their acts together. If this was a BB led team - Gordon would have been put on the straight and narrow from the first suspension. If this were the Patriots - he would have taken a hard look at what he could lose. We're neither, yet... it's a work in progress and a long distance from point A to point B. No way Bill would cut Gordon if he were the coach of the 0-16 Browns.

BB would have cut him for being late to meeting, halfass in practice and in the game... and not running his routs right. as simple as that.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:
by FATE:

No way Bill would cut Gordon if he were the coach of the 0-16 Browns.

I think you're right.

But not because Belichick would tolerate any variance from his expectations and demands.

But rather he'd convince Gordon it's the best thing for his life. (to follow Belichick's demands)

And Belichick would facilitate Gordon's excellence on the field.

And Gordon obviously wants to excel in the NFL.

Unfortunately, we're talking Belichick.

Not Hue Jackson.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
And Gordon obviously wants to excel in the NFL.

yea... he has proven that time after time after time.... rofl

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Gordon

Link Copied to Clipboard