Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
Quote:
And Gordon obviously wants to excel in the NFL.

yea... he has proven that time after time after time.... rofl

Do you seriously think Gordon doesn't want to excel in the NFL?

Doesn't Gordon already hold some major NFL receiving records?

Like out of thousands and thousands of receivers who have gone before.

That didn't happen by accident.

Hey look. I'm not Gordon fan. He obviously has some behavioral/discipline issues.

But he obviously does want to play football and any player who plays football in the NFL wants to be he best.

Or maybe I'm just gullible.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:

i think he does if and only IF he doesnt have to work hard at it... study play book... work like your getting the ball every time... practice....

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
Quote:

i think he does if and only IF he doesnt have to work hard at it... study play book... work like your getting the ball every time... practice....

Yep.

If Gordon had understood/appreciated this from the get-go, he'd already be approaching Jerry Rice status at only 26 years-old (27 in three more days).

Oh well, Professional sports is littered with "woulda, coulda, shoulda's"

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
This thread is absurd

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
This thread is absurd

It surely has taken a dive...

Legend
Legend
Absolute insanity.

My $0.02... all the pessimists are bringing up everything he's done and pointing at the past, but refusing to look at what he's doing here, now, in the present.

People DO change. People DO get their act together.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Absolute insanity.

My $0.02... all the pessimists are bringing up everything he's done and pointing at the past, but refusing to look at what he's doing here, now, in the present.

I agree. Some people mature at different ages. Some people make mistakes and make changes, yet some people want to continue to hold things against people.

I don't get it. Believe in God or not, that's just wrong by any standard of belief.

No wonder Ex-Cons have such a hard time. Nobody is willing to give them a chance. How long does it take to go hungry before they start stealing food or money?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
yep.. talent wise. And Gordon has his drug thing but OBJ can't stay on the field due to injuries.

How is Gordon a distraction to the team. Just what is he doint to distract

he has done more harm than good. Well that's the past, I thought we were talking about the present.

His behavior on the field is inexcusable??? can you elaborate on that.

OBJ far not HOFer yet. Great attitude on the field...lol what Giant games have you seen. Remember the fist a cuffs play by play with Norman?

dillusional...lol but you and your bud ed can have him.

No way for the Browns.

Gordon will be just fine.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
In fairy tale land where the ferries serve alcohol, Josh plays balls out in Haley's scheme this season. John rewards him, and Landry, financially. Him and Landry go on to become a killer combo for the years to come.

My buddy and I were talking about this very thing today. I'm on board with it. Totally on board. Juice and Flash, Flash and Juice... oh my. But we could very well reward them and be set still for others, including a rookie QB going to need extended in the years to come.

Fairy tale?

O
Legend
Legend
O
Forgive his past and allow him to prove himself. Josh knows full well that he is on his last NFL chance, period.

And he seems to be doing everything he can to redeem himself.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 04/10/18 09:15 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Its by far the BEST SHOT and CLOSEST we’ve been to a fairy tale ..

The TALENTS THERE .... i really really like Landry .... this is still a fairy tale at this point .... but it is VERY REALISTIC ... the TALENT IS THERE ...

Their is a CRAP TON to be EXCITED about this year ....

TABBER - ... after all these years .... U AND I FINALLY AGREE ....

Your OPTIMISM and my REALISM line up my brother ... thumbsup

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
In fairy tale land where the ferries serve alcohol, Josh plays balls out in Haley's scheme this season. John rewards him, and Landry, financially. Him and Landry go on to become a killer combo for the years to come.

My buddy and I were talking about this very thing today. I'm on board with it. Totally on board. Juice and Flash, Flash and Juice... oh my. But we could very well reward them and be set still for others, including a rookie QB going to need extended in the years to come.

Fairy tale?

As long as it isn't Gin and Juice, this should be a good combo!

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: eotab
yep.. talent wise. And Gordon has his drug thing but OBJ can't stay on the field due to injuries.

How is Gordon a distraction to the team. Just what is he doint to distract

he has done more harm than good. Well that's the past, I thought we were talking about the present.

His behavior on the field is inexcusable??? can you elaborate on that.

OBJ far not HOFer yet. Great attitude on the field...lol what Giant games have you seen. Remember the fist a cuffs play by play with Norman?

dillusional...lol but you and your bud ed can have him.

No way for the Browns.

Gordon will be just fine.

How is Gordon a distraction to the team, lets see...

Talking about how he used to play and practice under the influence.. and when I say talking it was more bragging than talking..

Then all the media posts with the cb, after having a game where he did almost nothing...

Being named the starter, after missing pre-season and most of the season, with no practice at all.

We are a 1-31 team,and I continue to say, not only we don't need players like him, but to reward his behavior by giving him the starting position, talks volumes about Hue.

Last edited by rastanplan; 04/11/18 06:50 AM.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Or speaks volumes about the talent Gordon possesses, if he's best WR in league stoned, what can he be if he wants it. I NEVER advocated for Gordon during his cough syrup/alcohol/weed days/years....BUT clean/rehab PARENT Gordon could be fabulous and it has NOTHING to do with HUE.....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
Not to mention, WR's are abundant in the NFL draft. Time to trade in for the new model.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Absolute insanity.

I hear you Purp. But it's not just about getting his act together. His shelf life is running out. His trade value could be the highest it's ever going to be. What if he has a crap season or get's hurt? WR's aren't exactly bullet proof?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
To be fair, he's said he's gotten his act together before... only to fall right off the wagon again.

That said... all this conversation comes down to is the potential risk to keeping him on the team. And the simple fact is that there is none. He's cheap, and he's not going to get expensive until another 1-2 (?) years. There's no risk.

In the draft and FA, you act like you won't have him and you continue to try to upgrade the position as much as possible. You don't just give him the position (even though it may have seemed that way last year because his competition on the roster has been so poor).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Absolute insanity.

I hear you Purp. But it's not just about getting his act together. His shelf life is running out. His trade value could be the highest it's ever going to be. What if he has a crap season or get's hurt? WR's aren't exactly bullet proof?

He's a year older than Jarvis lol

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I think people wish to take some others totally out of context. Things like not giving Josh a chance or saying people act like he can't change are negative about him. I think that's totally off base.

The NFL is a business. Josh has a history. Business moves are made based on probability. Risk verses reward. None of that is based on a personal slant. Those decisions aren't decided on an island.

People also try to indicate that we would have nothing to lose if we keep him. Not so long ago Sashi basically paid 15 million dollars for a second round draft pick. Most posters applauded that move. Now, suddenly, getting a second round pick for Josh is called nothing? lol

Here's what I'm sure this FO is weighing. Josh has said all of the right things many times before. So his words hold no value. After saying all of the right things several times, he has continued to do all of the wrong things. So here is the conundrum.

Do we risk Josh getting suspended again and being out of the NFL based on his future potential? Getting nothing out of him at all? Or do we get something guaranteed out of him in the form of say a second round draft pick. (fans agreed was worth 15 million dollars)

Now I wouldn't trade Josh for a second round draft pick. But I think people are blind if they can't see the risk involved in keeping him and him continuing a pattern he has shown thus far throughout his entire time in football since the NCAA.

Keeping him or trading him both have a risk/reward factor.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
CHSDawg #1435671 04/11/18 02:32 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Based on comments from Browns G.M. John Dorsey to PFT Live at the Scouting Combine, it sounds like the Browns will.

“I think Josh Gordon is a physical freak,” Dorsey said in the interview, as partially transcribed by Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal. “I’ve sat down and talked to him, had numerous conversations, and my message to Josh Gordon is, ‘You know what? As long as you’re behind the Cleveland Browns 100 percent, I’m 100 percent behind Josh Gordon.’

“That’s my mindset. He and I have communicated, and there’s some things that I’ve helped him with and we’ve sat and discussed. But right now, I love where he is right now. I think he’s in a good place right now, but we’ll see how this thing moves forward.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/03/browns-continue-to-support-josh-gordon/

Legend
Legend
Absolute insanity.

AMEN, Hallelujah, damn right, and you bet your ass they do thumbsup

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
J/C Josh Gordon could be one of the best receivers in the league.

We have to gamble on that. I understand the caution, history. The dude is a freak. He has produced.

Success is never attained by being meek. I think trading him would be a bad move. He’s one of the few legitimately super talented guys we have. It’s one of the only things Heckert got right SMH.

Last edited by drobs; 04/11/18 04:41 PM.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. Josh says he has changed and wants to play. Let's give him a fresh start and judge him on what he does from here on out. I would want the same consideration and we should give it to him too.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I agree with gambling on Gordon.

The thing is, when his contract is finally up, and it's time to pay him (assuming he's still playing like a beast), or let him go... that's when the conversation really gets interesting.

I can get behind keeping him around on the roster on his rookie deal competing against the fringe-NFL talent we've historically had on the roster for playing time. But it becomes a whole different discussion when you add a new contract to the decision-making process.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
As of now, we have done plenty to abide with JG. He has much to show us and a lot to back up. We have shown we want that. New contract terms are going to be "written" on the field and off. Earn it, and good luck. Do not blow this.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
nanner

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Vambo #1435767 04/11/18 05:54 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Vambo
Quote:
Based on comments from Browns G.M. John Dorsey to PFT Live at the Scouting Combine, it sounds like the Browns will.

“I think Josh Gordon is a physical freak,” Dorsey said in the interview, as partially transcribed by Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal. “I’ve sat down and talked to him, had numerous conversations, and my message to Josh Gordon is, ‘You know what? As long as you’re behind the Cleveland Browns 100 percent, I’m 100 percent behind Josh Gordon.’

“That’s my mindset. He and I have communicated, and there’s some things that I’ve helped him with and we’ve sat and discussed. But right now, I love where he is right now. I think he’s in a good place right now, but we’ll see how this thing moves forward.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/03/browns-continue-to-support-josh-gordon/

Combined with the things Hue has said, I think the staff is 100% prepared to support and move forward with Josh as a Brown. Like it, love it, hate it, don't really care... that seems like the way it is now and will be.

CHSDawg #1435792 04/11/18 06:31 PM
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Super talented player at very little money. Trading him would be foolish at this point. Those wanting to dump him are living in the past. He is, IMO, no risk at this point. His salary is low, and his talent is high. If he fails, we lose nothing.

To think they would ignore the WR position in the draft because he is on the roster is shortsighted if you ask me. We have professionals in the FO now, I'm sure they are looking at the situation with the team in mind, not just Josh's career.

If he has turned the corner for real, and we trade him now, it would be one more blunder for this organization. He has showed the talent he possesses, overlooking that because of his past failures would be foolish.

Anybody who thinks a clean and sober Josh Gordon, can be replaced by a second round draft pick is living in fantasy land. There is a reason the organization has stuck with him this long, it is called rare talent.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
AH street smarts. I can tell by your posts you grew up beside the Ohio River thumbsup

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Anybody who thinks a clean and sober Josh Gordon, can be replaced by a second round draft pick is living in fantasy land.

Anybody who thinks a stoned and alcohol buzzed Josh Gordon can be replaced by a second round draft pick is living in that same fantasy land. It seems to me that the "stuff" never messed with his ability. It's like Bill Murry said about pot, "The worst thing that can happen to you for smoking pot is getting caught with it." lol

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I agree with gambling on Gordon.

The thing is, when his contract is finally up, and it's time to pay him (assuming he's still playing like a beast), or let him go... that's when the conversation really gets interesting.

I can get behind keeping him around on the roster on his rookie deal competing against the fringe-NFL talent we've historically had on the roster for playing time. But it becomes a whole different discussion when you add a new contract to the decision-making process.

Not really... it's the same discussion then as it is now with any other person on the roster: how have you performed vs what are you asking for. It's actually really simple and straightforward. At the worst, the team builds in language that allows them to recoup ALL money in the event that he is ever suspended for drugs/alcohol again.

Browns is the Browns

PitDAWG #1435975 04/12/18 08:53 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
j/c

I think people wish to take some others totally out of context. Things like not giving Josh a chance or saying people act like he can't change are negative about him. I think that's totally off base.

The NFL is a business. Josh has a history. Business moves are made based on probability. Risk verses reward. None of that is based on a personal slant. Those decisions aren't decided on an island.

People also try to indicate that we would have nothing to lose if we keep him. Not so long ago Sashi basically paid 15 million dollars for a second round draft pick. Most posters applauded that move. Now, suddenly, getting a second round pick for Josh is called nothing? lol

Here's what I'm sure this FO is weighing. Josh has said all of the right things many times before. So his words hold no value. After saying all of the right things several times, he has continued to do all of the wrong things. So here is the conundrum.

Do we risk Josh getting suspended again and being out of the NFL based on his future potential? Getting nothing out of him at all? Or do we get something guaranteed out of him in the form of say a second round draft pick. (fans agreed was worth 15 million dollars)

Now I wouldn't trade Josh for a second round draft pick. But I think people are blind if they can't see the risk involved in keeping him and him continuing a pattern he has shown thus far throughout his entire time in football since the NCAA.

Keeping him or trading him both have a risk/reward factor.

The risk in keeping him is exceptionally low. What we risk losing out on is next to nothing. If he gets suspended, he costs us nothing at all, and at most we lose out on whatever imagined Draft picks you think we might get for a guy who is one slip away from being out of the league forever. For that reason alone, teams will shy away from giving us large compensation - at best, it would be conditional. In both cases, what we are guaranteed to lose out on is his talent and ability to contribute to the task of pulling this team out of the damned basement.

That physical freak focused on the task of being a WR is unstoppable. There is not a WR in the draft that is close to what he is, and I would dare to say that there is not a WR in the NFL, either. He is on a different level. Randy Moss's speed blended with Terrell Owens' physique and the hands of both.

Browns is the Browns

CHSDawg #1435987 04/12/18 09:09 AM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
What kind of message do you send when you make a player who misses all practices, does not play the game for years, and has a history of bad behavior, your automatic starter?

What are the risks for keeping Gordon? The risk of not having a viable WR, like we did his past seasons, and the risk of depending on him for a season.

Remember when he came back some years ago and a team that performed well over its level suddenly stopped performing?

When Hoyer was forced to feed the ball to Gordon, who couldn't do anything good?

That's the main risk of keeping Gordon, alienating a team. Gordon should be seen has a backup WR, not has a starter, and never has a cornerstone for a team to build.

The point of making mistakes is learning from them....

The idea that Gordon is on the same level has OB, Julio,AB and others is completely absurd. Its like thinking Payton Hillis was better than AP...

Last edited by rastanplan; 04/12/18 09:11 AM.
rastanplan #1435988 04/12/18 09:11 AM
C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
What message do you send when you're 0-16 and cut your best player?

CHSDawg #1435989 04/12/18 09:14 AM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
What message do you send when you're 0-16 and cut your best player?

That you are rebuilding, and that the best player didn't fit the mold you wanted, or that you want to give your best player the chance to win titles.

Gordon, IMHO, should have been cut ages ago. The moment you step on the field or show up to practice under the influence, for example.

This is a professional organization, not a rehab clinic

Last edited by rastanplan; 04/12/18 09:14 AM.
CHSDawg #1435995 04/12/18 09:26 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
OK. We now have 8 pages on Josh Gordon and nothing other than him sticking to his training seems to be happening. Why are so many rooting for him to fail?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Everybody wants to see a train wreck.

#gmstrong
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
OK. We now have 8 pages on Josh Gordon and nothing other than him sticking to his training seems to be happening. Why are so many rooting for him to fail?

Nobody is rooting for him to fail.

I think its just stupid for not having a plan B for his position, I also think its stupid to be sure about him, that why he should be a backup, a complement to the team, not be one of the pillars.

rastanplan #1436025 04/12/18 10:39 AM
C
CHSDawg Offline OP
~
Legend
OP Offline
~
Legend
C
I think you need to have a win a game before you can rebuild.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Why are so many rooting for him to fail?

That's weird... that's pretty much the opposite of how I would characterize the majority of this read.

TLDR?

-PrplPplEater
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Josh Gordon

Link Copied to Clipboard