#1436797 04/13/18 03:40 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Quote:
I like Jarvis Landry. Not sure why he takes so much criticism. The guy is told to run short routes, he does, and he absolutely dominates in that role. Good for him.

https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/984451091290099712

Quote:
There are a lot of full-time slot WRs who don't dominate the stat sheet like Landry. Why? Because he's way better than most (all?) of them.

https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/984451549660409856

Quote:
This is just like the high-production vs high-ceiling argument. The itch to have the inconsistent, flashy, down-field, player over the super-reliable, productive, consistent receiver.

https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/984453489219825664

Quote:
Anyone think Larry Fitzgerald was a bad investment the past few years? If not, why is Landry one now? Comp:

https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/984460835555807232

Quote:
Attacking Landry for his low YPR and YPT without context is wrong and flawed. Here are the NFL's top 30 targeted WRs from the past 4 years. This is their production on only balls thrown within 5 yards of the LOS. Landry's aDOT is still on low end, but he's 5th best in ypt

Quote:
Landry doesn't offer what some of these guys do down field...but he's great in the short area and only 15% of passes go 20+ yards down field.

https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/984467494172753920

Quote:
As for "Landry's 3rd down conversation rate is low" takes...Landry ranked 15th with 39 3rd down targets last year. However, he ranked first with 22 third-down targets short of the sticks...

https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/984483267188543489

Quote:
... 69 WRs had 20+ 3rd down targets last year and only SIX were, on average, targeted short of the sticks. Landry was, on average, targeted 2.1 yards short, which was lowest of the 69 WRs.

https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/984483287686053888

cfrs15 #1436811 04/13/18 03:59 PM
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Look all of the recent criticism is due to his new contract. I am of the opinion that every offseason people are going to complain about the new deals. People comparing this years deals to a deal made 3 years ago is a fools errand.

The elite guys also take less risk in their contracts, they get renewed with a year sometimes two years left on their current deals. Guys getting this far, staying healthy and making it to a place where they can demand the extra cash, good for them.

I loathe the argument, well Julio Jones makes that much money and he's way better.....well guess what, Julio Jones isn't available is he? If he were, he would get a lot more and then they would be complaining about how even HE isn't worth that kind of money.

cfrs15 #1436816 04/13/18 04:07 PM
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Landry's YPR is overblown. He's a high percentage slot receiver who has never been in a strong situation regarding quarterback play.

Jarvis Landry's YPR (10.1) is comparable to the likes of Wes Welker (11) who lived out his days with Brady and Manning. That position is now filled by Julian Edelman. (10.7)

Sure, he's not proven himself to be an elite burner, but let's see what he can do in a better situation (I think he'll thrive surrounded by Njoku, Gordon and Duke) and, hopefully, a better QB. (I'd hope the #1 pick ends up better than Tannehill)

With that said, Landry's game doesn't have a pressing need for evolution. He's a high-volume chain mover who keeps the ball moving on high percentage throws. It doesn't stuff the yards or fill the highlight reels, but damn if you don't notice it on game day when the chains keep moving.

cfrs15 #1436822 04/13/18 04:17 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
My guess is that Jarvis Landry's game develops a little bit with Todd Haley calling plays. If that's the case, then he is probably worth the contract.

cfrs15 #1436828 04/13/18 04:26 PM
C
1st String
1st String
C
I guess I never understood why what a player makes is important to a fan. I care a lot more about production.

Just wait till next season, I have heard that for over 40 years!
cfrs15 #1436847 04/13/18 05:03 PM
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
My guess is that Jarvis Landry's game develops a little bit with Todd Haley calling plays. If that's the case, then he is probably worth the contract.

Lmao. Congratulations. You've found ANALYTICAL STATS.

You made a comment in the fried thread about Landry being paid Green and Jones $.

It's been 12 hours. Have you figured out why yet?

Legend
Legend
I don't remember Brennan getting a lot of grief. He moved sticks and earned his keep over the middle. I am pulling for Landry to keep drives alive in every game. last year was an atrocity. This doesn't have to be the ultimate hire; help us effectively move the ball and set up more scores. It is enough progress given where we are. His numbers looked pretty solid to me.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
cfrs15 #1437131 04/14/18 05:10 PM
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Landry, slot or not, is one of the best receivers in the league right now. Whether he caught the ball down field does not matter. He is consistent and productive in keeping drives alive. Making tough catches on third down, and consistently moving the sticks is very high value IMO.

Guys like him, make the big name guys look better. They demand attention, that is a very valuable asset.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Landry, slot or not, is one of the best receivers in the league right now. Whether he caught the ball down field does not matter. He is consistent and productive in keeping drives alive. Making tough catches on third down, and consistently moving the sticks is very high value IMO.

Guys like him, make the big name guys look better. They demand attention, that is a very valuable asset.
let's just hope our "big man guy" stays eligible to play

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
kwhip #1437235 04/15/18 10:16 AM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Lmao. Congratulations. You've found ANALYTICAL STATS.

You made a comment in the fried thread about Landry being paid Green and Jones $.

It's been 12 hours. Have you figured out why yet?

I think you need to go back and read what I wrote.

cfrs15 #1437241 04/15/18 10:27 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Landry got paid top 5 WR money to keep him from becoming a FA ...

did we overpay? ... i dont think so ... hes not a top 5 WR ... more like around the 15 range ... hes not a true #1 with great speed and a huge frame ... hes not a threat to take it to the house everytime he touches it ....

But what HE IS ... is hes REALLY GOOD ...

- GREAT HANDS
- creates separation
- GREAT HANDS
- great route runner ... he will be where hes suppose to be ..
- GREAT HANDS
- will go over the middle and make the tough catch and get the extra 1/2 yard for the first however he has to ...
- GREAT HANDS
- stronger runner than u think
- GREAT HANDS
- very quick

One last thing ... HE CATCHES THE F’NG BALL!!!!

Did we overpay .... not in my opinion ... its the NATURE OF THE BEAST ....

And he was a STEAL compared to what Watkins got ... witch fools paid hm all that money ... rofl ...

cfrs15 #1437243 04/15/18 10:32 AM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
It's easier to think about the Landry contract when you remember that 10-15 WRs will be paid over the next two years. Signing him this early has made us set the market for all the future contracts. AJ's contract is up this season, I believe, I don't think he'll be paid less than Landry for long.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Corpusdawg
I guess I never understood why what a player makes is important to a fan. I care a lot more about production.

The main reasons is that the NFL has a salary cap. You have to fit your entire team under this cap, including those put on injured reserve and the like. Unlike the NBA, the NFL's salary cap is a hard cap (kind of), which means you can't go over it. I say kind of because signing bonus money can be prorated over a number of years, essentially pushing that money into the future. But it eventually comes due.

Teams that are consistently good have to manage the salary cap in an intelligent way. This hasn't really applied to the Browns, because they haven't drafted that many good players (compared to the rest of the league) and some of them have walked in free agency. This was actually the impetus for the Brock Osweiler trade.. we essentially purchased a second round pick. At a fundamental level, the Browns just didn't have many players to spend all the cap space on whereas the Texans needed the cap relief. Differing valuations of the second round pick was a relatively lesser consideration, IMO.

All of the above is just generalities. As far as the Landry contract in particular: it's pretty steep. I'm not saying it was a bad move, but we certainly didn't catch a break on the contract.

I just think you have to understand the big picture: We're a young, talent starved team that followed 1-15 with 0-16. The head coach is still here. Our best player retired. Two of our better defensive starters were traded. Cleveland isn't exactly a destination city, especially for someone who just spent 4 years in Miami. At least for the time being, the Browns just have to accept that players aren't going to take discounts to come play here.

If we want that to happen, then we'll have to demonstrate excellence over a long period of time, then maybe the players most committed to winning will take a bit less to be team players and be part of a winning organization.

So in this case, we paid market value but signed an excellent, reliable, durable slot receiver. Keep building this team with our draft picks, cap space (or combination of the two) and maybe eventually we'll get to the point where some of that home grown talent will be willing to take less to stay with the Browns-- both for financial security reasons and because they actually like it here.

cfrs15 #1437275 04/15/18 12:15 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think the Browns will get more production out of Landry then they did out of Bowe and Britt combined.

It is as much of a culture/statement move as anything. The prior stuff did not work.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
the Browns could have signed a 3rd string wr from a local community college and got more production than Britt and Bowe
Landry will provide leadership and a great work ethic
Bowe and Britt were here strictly for the $$$$.
funny how some posters defended the signings of both those guys and made excuses for them along the way

DiamDawg #1437298 04/15/18 01:23 PM
D
1st String
1st String
D
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Landry got paid top 5 WR money to keep him from becoming a FA ...

did we overpay? ... i dont think so ... hes not a top 5 WR ... more like around the 15 range ... hes not a true #1 with great speed and a huge frame ... hes not a threat to take it to the house everytime he touches it ....

But what HE IS ... is hes REALLY GOOD ...

- GREAT HANDS
- creates separation
- GREAT HANDS
- great route runner ... he will be where hes suppose to be ..
- GREAT HANDS
- will go over the middle and make the tough catch and get the extra 1/2 yard for the first however he has to ...
- GREAT HANDS
- stronger runner than u think
- GREAT HANDS
- very quick

One last thing ... HE CATCHES THE F’NG BALL!!!!

Did we overpay .... not in my opinion ... its the NATURE OF THE BEAST ....

And he was a STEAL compared to what Watkins got ... witch fools paid hm all that money ... rofl ...

Naw... we didn't overpay. We are right where the market will be while also taking into account his franchise tag. It is also a signal to other FA that we are in the business to win and win now.

Just the dawg in me..........
cfrs15 #1437300 04/15/18 01:24 PM
Legend
Legend
Britt and Bowe were probably the two worst FA signings in Browns history ... you might say Bentley, Rison, or somebody else ... but IMO they were inexcusable

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Mentioning Britt and Bowe in the same thread as Jarvis is very DISRESPECTUFL to Mr. Landry ...

I can’t even fathom how thier even remotely comparable on any level ...

Mr. Landry has accomplished more in his short career than either of those ONE HIT WONDERS ever did and Mr. Landry is ENTERING THE PRIME OF HIS CAREER ...

Mr. Landry is LEGITE ...

And u know what i really like about him just in case u missed it ....

HE CATCHES THE F’NG BALL!!!!!

cfrs15 #1437311 04/15/18 01:51 PM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Landrys presence probally signals the end of that awesome Sashi Brown combo of Hollywood Higgins and Ricardo Louis
talk about 2 draft picks that have done nothing in 2 years

Legend
Legend
I have heard rumors that some receivers elsewhere in the NFL actually catch it regularly and score points on a weekly basis. We managed to avoid that for the most part last year.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
In the past we liked to draft and sign WR that looked the part but didn't catch all that well. Thankfully, our new FO knows that being able to catch the ball is most important for a receiver.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
I think the Browns will get more production out of Landry then they did out of Bowe and Britt combined.

It is as much of a culture/statement move as anything. The prior stuff did not work.

They will get more production out of Landry in his first 3/4 games than Britt and Bowe combined.

Britt/Bowe had less than 300 yards receiving and 2 TD's COMBINED for their Browns careers.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife

They will get more production out of Landry in his first 3/4 games than Britt and Bowe combined.

Britt/Bowe had less than 300 yards receiving and 2 TD's COMBINED for their Browns careers.

Bowe and Britt's production was ATROCIOUS ... and their attitudes were just as bad

cfrs15 #1437600 04/15/18 08:46 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He hasnt caught a pass but I would say he is our best receiver until proven otherwise. I think right now second would be Duke. That is sad to think about with how many receivers have come thru Cleveland recently.

Joe Thomas #73
cfrs15 #1437601 04/15/18 08:47 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Flash, Duke then Landry imo

cfrs15 #1437604 04/15/18 09:07 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hear his work ethic, and locker room culture, may be priceless.

I love the Landry signing for the culture, work ethic, mental toughness. Apparently the catches are a given.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Britt and Bowe were probably the two worst FA signings in Browns history ... you might say Bentley, Rison, or somebody else ... but IMO they were inexcusable

I think it is unfair to lump Bently in the group.. He was local, and the career ending knee injury on the first day of camp was disheartening to all.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I think it is unfair to lump Bently in the group.. He was local, and the career ending knee injury on the first day of camp was disheartening to all.

If I remember correctly, he already had the injury and just faked it when he got to camp.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
If I remember correctly, he already had the injury and just faked it when he got to camp.

This is the first time I've ever heard that about LeCharles.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Clemdawg #1437636 04/16/18 04:09 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:

I've heard those rumblings as well. He may have been injured playing basketball before camp but waited to "fake it" in the first drill. Why? So his contract would not be void.

DiamDawg #1437640 04/16/18 05:50 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
People worry we overpay. People worry that we don't have good players.

To the overpay crowd...what should we have paid him? It's not like he was going to sign for 8 mil a year.

For me, I'll worry about overpaying guys when they aren't good players or when you are pushed up against the cap.

Neither is the case here.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Being local is irrelevant to how good or bad a signing is. And this is from a die hard OSU fan.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1437654 04/16/18 08:10 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This is Landry's first big contract. Let's hope he stays motivated.

If he does, it's a solid contract. If he mails it in now that he's got his money, history repeats itself.

I'm hopeful, but we'll see.

At least James Harrison announced his retirement.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
James Harrison is 39.

Jarvis Landry is 25.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Now how could that happen? They do physicals on these guys before they sign and again before camp. I ain't buying that. Besides, this is the first time I've heard that..

Last edited by Damanshot; 04/16/18 11:09 AM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:

I've heard those rumblings as well. He may have been injured playing basketball before camp but waited to "fake it" in the first drill. Why? So his contract would not be void.

staph infection did him in

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This has always been my understanding

Joe Thomas #73
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Now how could that happen? They do physicals on these guys before they sign and again before camp. I ain't buying that. Besides, this is the first time I've heard that..

There was a ridiculous amount of smoke on that 'fire'. No one ever confirmed and LCB didn't admit...but...the "sources" making that claim were many.

He could have easily recovered from that injury if not for the staph.

PitDAWG #1437852 04/16/18 04:31 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
James Harrison is 39.

Jarvis Landry is 25.

I was thinking more along the lines of what he did to MoMass.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Ballpeen #1437876 04/16/18 05:55 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
People worry we overpay. People worry that we don't have good players.

To the overpay crowd...what should we have paid him? It's not like he was going to sign for 8 mil a year.

For me, I'll worry about overpaying guys when they aren't good players or when you are pushed up against the cap.

Neither is the case here.

With that said, which I totally agree with, the fact is Landry hasn't earned his paycheck here. We haven't even seen what he looks like in a Browns jersey.

We're very use to free agent WR with some success coming here, getting paid, and giving NOTHING in return. Paying a good player to continue to be good, in Landry's situation, would really make me feel better about paying people a lot of money and it working out, especially WR.

Last person we paid a lot of money to and it worked out was probably Joe Thomas. Bowe, Droughns, Britt, Haden, Stallworth and just many others not worth the money we paid out in extending/signing.

All JMO, of course.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jarvis Landry

Link Copied to Clipboard